To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Beerfuelled Movie Appreciation Thread

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Beerfuelled Movie Appreciation Thread

Post by Zimmerman »

foxinthebox2001 wrote: 16 Feb 2016, 22:55
jacksosi wrote:
Razorback wrote:
happyhoppy wrote:Anyone seen The Lobster (2015, 7.3), most bizarre film I've ever seen. Anyone else seen it? I'd probably give it a 6 just purely out of its unique weirdness.

"In a dystopian near future, single people, according to the laws of The City, are taken to The Hotel, where they are obliged to find a romantic partner in forty-five days or are transformed into beasts and sent off into The Woods"
It's very...quirky :wink: .

Really enjoyed it myself, definitely did enough to get an 8/10 from me...
I like quirky films, and this started off pretty well, but by the end I was actually disliking it....4/10 mainly for the first half.
It was a strange movie, I had high hopes for it, got to know the characters in the hotel, and the plot, though insane, was bubbling along.
Then it all switches to the woods, with all new characters, and despite the divine Rachel Weisz showing up, it just all went a bit flat.
I thought Colin Farrell, with a leech like tache, was good, and somewhere in there was a good story but the screenwriters let it down.
Seemingly a polarising film.
I’m in the like it camp. Probably a 7/10 for me. But agree it was just weird (same guy that made Dogtooth that i always give a plug) but the overall story not as strong as that.

I notice his new film that’s getting the plaudits also uses Coleman and Weiss - I’m assuming that’s more mainstream and less Dogtooth/Lobster.

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

The Lobster was okay - drags a bit and not as bizarre as it tries to be (6/10)

Dogtooth - excellent but not as 'out there' as YellowBrickRoad

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1398428/

Outstandingly weird

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jimwinn »

Watched a good one tonight 😯

Searching - 8/10

Missing girl story with several twists and turns

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7668870/

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

jimwinn wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 21:40 The Lobster was okay - drags a bit and not as bizarre as it tries to be (6/10)

Dogtooth - excellent but not as 'out there' as YellowBrickRoad

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1398428/

Outstandingly weird
I’m tempted enough to add it to my list.
4.7/10 on IMDB is reason enough for me to check it out!!!!

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

I remember going on about Dogtooth a few years ago. Weirdly erotic, and highly recommended.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

happyhoppy wrote:
unc.si. wrote:Watched 'A Quiet Place'. Fantastic, edge of the seat stuff. Definitely a 9/10

Also, 'Leave No Trace', which is a really well made and well judged story. 9/10 again ,at least.

Both probably right up there in my top films of the year (alongside Hereditary)
Didn’t really enjoy A Quiet Place which whilst it had a few suspenseful moments bordered on the ridiculous at times. 6/10

But did really enjoy Leave no trace which was beautifully done. 9/10

Great guardian review here
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... bra-granik

Also watched Deadpool 2 - having watched and really enjoyed the first the sequel as is often the case was a step too far for me. Overly long, humour was mostly repeated. And in general terms I’m not really a marvel film guy. The first was kinda unique but this was just another marvel.

Bit like Kickass which was fantastic but the sequel just didn’t cut it.
Watched A Quiet Place, and agree with HH, not great, 4/10 from me.
So many daft bits, felt a bit cheap.

Also 4/10 for The Shape of Water

I also agree on DP2, and KA2, both poor sequels

Bah humbug :)

Last edited by jacksosi on 25 Jan 2019, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

jacksosi wrote:
happyhoppy wrote:
unc.si. wrote:Watched 'A Quiet Place'. Fantastic, edge of the seat stuff. Definitely a 9/10

Also, 'Leave No Trace', which is a really well made and well judged story. 9/10 again ,at least.

Both probably right up there in my top films of the year (alongside Hereditary)
Didn’t really enjoy A Quiet Place which whilst it had a few suspenseful moments bordered on the ridiculous at times. 6/10

But did really enjoy Leave no trace which was beautifully done. 9/10

Great guardian review here
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... bra-granik

Also watched Deadpool 2 - having watched and really enjoyed the first the sequel as is often the case was a step too far for me. Overly long, humour was mostly repeated. And in general terms I’m not really a marvel film guy. The first was kinda unique but this was just another marvel.

Bit like Kickass which was fantastic but the sequel just didn’t cut it.
Watched A Quiet Place, and agree with Unc.si, not great, 4/10 from me.
So many daft bits, felt a bit cheap.
Unc si loved it. I was the one like you who didn’t. Looks a real marmite film as my mate loved it too.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

happyhoppy wrote: Unc si loved it. I was the one like you who didn’t. Looks a real marmite film as my mate loved it too.
Fixed that, apologies, was quite drinkled ;)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Yes, I really liked it but can see where your coming from.

Watched BlackkKlansman on the flight today (and the dark knight, although the be seen that before)

Thought Klaansman was excellent. Spike Lee back to his funny, incisive satirical best. I’d love it if it won one of the big Oscars -‘merica first’ 😁

I loved ‘Do the Right Thing’ when that came out although back in the 80’s there was no way that was winning any Academy Awards. Maybe not all is rotten in the USA if Klansman can get nominated for (4?)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody. Not sure it’s that great a film, and definitely plays liberties with the timeline as far as the songs go, but enjoyed watching. If you love queen I guess you’ll love it. The guy that played Freddie was brilliant though and the replaying of their ultimate ‘right time right place right band’, close to perfect Live Aid performance is a great ending.

Also watched bad times at the El Royale. So nearly a great film. A cross between Tarantino and noir. Brilliant in parts but doesn’t quite work as a whole. Cut half an hour off the running time and maybe it could have been great.

Also Braven. Pretty standard action flick. Enjoyable but a bit crap really.

Heathers was on as well. Not seen it for a long time but still a great film, even if it’s dated a bit and the ending is still crap :-)

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

The Mule - I really enjoyed it. I love Clint Eastwood anyway but I thought the story and his character were engaging.

Atila battle Angel - I was slightly disappointed since I love Cameron and Rodriguez but this was no Sin City. I saw it in 3D, not bad just expecting more.

Stan and Ollie - I thought Steve Coogan was amazing as Stan and you really got a sense of Ollie's warmth as a human being but the story was lacking for me. Still a good film, just felt like a missed opportunity.

Bumblebee - I hate Transformer films, I have only seen one and I loathed it but I enjoyed Bumblebee, it was more like a coming of age film with a robot.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Watched Roma this weekend.

It’s on Netflix and is scooping award nominations (and prizes galore).

Set in 70s Mexico (subtitles), black and white.
Beautifully shot, great acting, perfectly made - absolutely nothing happens. Ok, there are one or two major events but you just meandre your way up to them and then barely mention them afterwards.

Really strange film, noting happens at all... but before you know it, you’re an hour in to it and have unquestionably arrived at that point and you want to stick with it to find out what happens.

It’s like a fly on the wall following a Mexican maid in the 70s. It’s hardly an Alan Partridge pitch. But it’s executed perfectly.

Won’t be everyone’s bag, I still can’t quite work out if I liked it 😂

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Have downloaded to watch on plane today. Will report back after.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

This weeks in flight viewing was the extraordinary journey of the fakir

Enjoyable enough but fell a bit between making a statement on refugee migrants and wanting to stay light entertainment / comedy

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Don't know anything about it but Dirty Games is on tonight on the "Together" channel:

The Film 'Dirty Games' is an expedition to the dirty abyss of professional sports. The award winning investigative journalist Benjamin Best (CNN Journalist of the Year 2011) takes a global look behind the scenes at the colourful world of sports and exposes the bitter taste behind the multi-billion sports business. From Europe to the USA. From South America to Asia. This film, which draws upon very personal stories by protagonists from all over the world, shows how the sport system operates, and it gives those who are protesting an opportunity to speak out against the system. In the process, it also exposes new and sinister wheeling and dealing in the world of sports.

8.3 on IMDB

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Is thst on Freeview?

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Don't know - I have Sky Q but not sure what that channel comes with - never heard of it before.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

Zimmerman wrote:The Greatest Showman was a decent enough family film, I'm just not a musical sort of guy 7/10.
Watched this for the second time recently, and think it is excellent, 9/10.
Great music, decent story, Mrs j and our 7 year old love it as well. They have the soundtrack in the car too.

A star is born - decent film, both leads are excellent, 8/10

While in a musical vein, saw the musical ‘Six’ at the Arts Theatre in London at the weekend. It’s a modern take on the 6 wives of Henry VIII.
Fantastic 10/10.
Only short at 1h 15mins, but the 6 singers are excellent, plus lots of humour.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

The Favourite a decent, mainstream (yet retaining a tiny bit of Yorgos bonkers styling). Was ok. Probably an 8/10 from me.

Coleman was good... but Oscar winning good? Not so sure. The other two supporting actresses were very good too.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I’m not a witch worth checking out (I think it’s available on Netflix. I’m not sure if it’s meant to be a comedy or not, but it’s hilarious in parts.

A bit of me almost questioned if it was right to be laughing (in some sort of racial way... but no, tough luck... somethings are just absurd and hilarious)!

Check it out. It’s set in Africa and focuses on a young girl who gets labelled as a witch using methods less sophisticated than our medieval drowning or burning approaches.

I can’t believe it is in anyway fact based - such is the absurdity - but when you hear of stories of witch doctors (there was a case recently where the mum had killed her own daughter)... maybe the film is based on some truths.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

blahblah wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 10:13
Moist von Lipwig wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 23:53
blahblah wrote:
Billy Whiz wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 22:24 Since Blade Runner 2049 is nearly three hours long, it would be a good choice!
Is this any good?
Yes, it is, but it's "proper" sci fi. I loved it but can easily see how people may be bored by it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Proper Sci Fi, like the original? ie plot and characters, rather than random machines, aliens, flashing lights etc
Probably in the minority here but just never got all the hype with Blade Runner - it's just too slow-paced for my liking. Watched BR 2049 the other day hoping it would address this but just more of the same for me - I guess if you liked the original then you'll like this sequel but I was just bored with it and relieved when it was finished to be honest :shock:

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jimwinn »

Three hours - I thought it was longer 😁

I can't remember it too well which is never a good sign - may have tuned out.

Cut an hour and it would have been cool.

I never got on with that 2001 thing so it may be me.

To quote Peter Griffin 'it insists on itself'

and there's no zombies in it - they always help move things along 😉

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

The Photographer of Mauthausen quite good (available on Netflix). It’s about a nazi prison so not an easy watch, but it’s ok. Not as harrowing as Schindlers List.

A Spanish film based on a true story.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

The Green Book an absolutely fantastic film. Best I’ve seen in a while.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Saw If Beale Street could talk, Can you ever Forgive me and Skate Kitchen over the last couple of days.

All excellent in different ways.

Beale street is beautifully made and constructed, but utterly heartbreaking.

Great performances in Can you ever forgive me (including an almost Withnailesque turn from Richard E Grant)

I’d never heard of skate kitchen before but it’s a kind of indie semi documentary style coming of age / skateboarding movie. Bit of a low-fi hidden gem I reckon. Worth hunting out.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Shape of Water strangely, I enjoyed it. Would normally fall flat on pretty much everything I normally go for in a film, and yet I was distracted enough to ignore my usual tastes/dislikes 7/10

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

In flight movies over the last week :

Juno: offbeat teen pregnancy comedy drama. 7/10
The sisters brothers. Funny, violent, slightly off beat western. 8/10
Iron man (first Marvel movie I’ve seen). enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. 8/10
Batman. Dark knight rises. Pretty tough trying to follow Heath Ledgers joker, but still a great film. 8/10. Was partly filmed just up the road from where I live, but had never got round to watching it :D
Watched some of Bohemian Rhapsody as well (again), and guardians of the galaxy, which I thought was a bit shit but I did fall asleep and miss a couple of chunks of it.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Watched Collette a couple of days ago. Really good biopic (is it a biopic or a dramatisation?) and Keira Knightley is on top form. Lesbian stuff all very tastefully done as well (avoiding any awkwardness when the air stewardess comes and asks if you want more coffee just as theres a close up of a bouncing pair of jugs on screen). 8.5 / 10

Also the Mule, with Clint Eastwood as an 80 year old Cartel drug courier. Easy going and sentimental, but Clint is great to watch in it (he must have been smiling to himself when he wrote in the scenes where he spends the night with 2 hookers :D ). Perfectly watchable - 6.5/10

And finally the Girl in the Spiders Web. Kind of Lisbeth Salander goes Hollywood. Lots of big hollywood set pieces, but its lost its Scandi-noir oddness. OK I guess 6/10

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

More in flight movies today:

The Hate U Give: ok it’s a teen focussed film, but I thought it was great. A bit too obvious at times but a great film about being black in the US today. 8.5/10
The Vice. Brilliant performance from Christian Bale. Funny, bleak and scary all at the same time. It’s a must watch as far as I’m concerned, and don’t turn off when the credits roll. 9/10
The darkest minds: teen dystopian thriller/ scifi/ horror/ whatever. Not good. 3/10.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Watched a very good Korean film this weekend (The Burning). Won’t be everyone’s cup of tea (quite slow and nothing seemingly happening).
But it just sneaks up on you (although I still haven’t worked out what ‘it’ is, that has sneaked up on me).

It’s a kind of thriller/mystery type thing and I’m still trying to work out what all of it meant. I think it was really clever and very well made, but it will be too laboured for some people to enjoy 8/10

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”