View Latest: 1 Day | FISO Injury Search

Which MJ Song do you Listen most of the Time?

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
User avatar
forestfan
FISO Knight
Posts: 15532
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!
FISO Goals: Score: 145 Position: 40

Re: Which MJ Song do you Listen most of the Time?

Post by forestfan » 30 Jun 2018, 12:02

Looking forward to them getting to years I actually remember... late 80s was a pretty shit era for pop (SA&W production line etc), but it’s shit I remember fondly from childhood :wink:

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 66949
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.
FISO Goals: Score: 28 Position: 52
Contact:

Re: Which MJ Song do you Listen most of the Time?

Post by blahblah » 30 Jun 2018, 14:59

It was all downhill from 1981, when I turned 15, lol

User avatar
bluenosey
Dumblenose
Posts: 12324
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:26
Location: Solihull
FS Record: Considerably poorer than yow :-(
FISO Goals: Score: 208 Position: 5

Re: Which MJ Song do you Listen most of the Time?

Post by bluenosey » 30 Jun 2018, 17:40

forestfan wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 12:02
Looking forward to them getting to years I actually remember... late 80s was a pretty shit era for pop (SA&W production line etc), but it’s shit I remember fondly from childhood :wink:
although to counteract the SAW tosh, the late 80s saw the indie arrival

User avatar
Maldini
Dumbledore
Posts: 5584
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 18:32
FISO Goals: Score: 26 Position: 54

Which MJ Song do you Listen most of the Time?

Post by Maldini » 30 Jun 2018, 18:02

Yep, The Fall, Wedding Present, The Cure, The Smiths (long before Morrissey rather ironically turned into a gammon) among others were in their prime.

I was listening to and travelling around the country watching The Wonder Stuff and Pop Will Eat Itself.

Halcyon days.

User avatar
forestfan
FISO Knight
Posts: 15532
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!
FISO Goals: Score: 145 Position: 40

Re: Which MJ Song do you Listen most of the Time?

Post by forestfan » 30 Jun 2018, 18:55

bluenosey wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 17:40
forestfan wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 12:02
Looking forward to them getting to years I actually remember... late 80s was a pretty shit era for pop (SA&W production line etc), but it’s shit I remember fondly from childhood :wink:
although to counteract the SAW tosh, the late 80s saw the indie arrival
Yes, with hindsight there was some good stuff, but you don’t really appreciate it when you’re 9 or 10...

User avatar
bluenosey
Dumblenose
Posts: 12324
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:26
Location: Solihull
FS Record: Considerably poorer than yow :-(
FISO Goals: Score: 208 Position: 5

Re: Which MJ Song do you Listen most of the Time?

Post by bluenosey » 30 Jun 2018, 18:58

Maldini wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 18:02
Yep, The Fall, Wedding Present, The Cure, The Smiths (long before Morrissey rather ironically turned into a gammon) among others were in their prime.

I was listening to and travelling around the country watching The Wonder Stuff and Pop Will Eat Itself. Image

Halcyon days.
With the Neds, that was when little old Stourbridge had a scene to rival Manchester.

Saw the Wonder Stuff last year and it's not the same band - a bit too violin orientated - although A Wish Away still sounded magnificent and they finished with Ten Trenches Deep, still sounding punchy. It took me back as only music can. I'm sure the Stuffies and the Neds are touring this year ?

George Best by The Wedding Present. Now there's an album 8-) Now 30 years old :shock:

I never did get The Fall but I would probably say The Smiths kickstarted the whole indie scene as we know it, after punk, post punk and the C30/C60 scene.

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 88960
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: Chasing an egg (see my WWW or FPL links)
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
FISO Goals: Score: 206 Position: 8
Contact:

Re: Which MJ Song do you Listen most of the Time?

Post by murf » 02 Jul 2018, 21:40

The best TOTP years are past now on the re-runs (are they about 83 now?). The ones c.79-81 were excellent when Sky+d so you could FF the dreary ones and the end of Duran sq songs once you were done laughing. The late 80s indie years were great for music but doubt they featured as strongly on TOTP as the post punk new wave and ska type stuff beloved of my yoof.


User avatar
forestfan
FISO Knight
Posts: 15532
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:27
Location: Los Pollos Hermanos
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!
FISO Goals: Score: 145 Position: 40

Re: Which MJ Song do you Listen most of the Time?

Post by forestfan » 11 Jan 2019, 19:52

forestfan wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 18:55
bluenosey wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 17:40
forestfan wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 12:02
Looking forward to them getting to years I actually remember... late 80s was a pretty shit era for pop (SA&W production line etc), but it’s shit I remember fondly from childhood :wink:
although to counteract the SAW tosh, the late 80s saw the indie arrival
Yes, with hindsight there was some good stuff, but you don’t really appreciate it when you’re 9 or 10...
And now we’re there with 1987... watched the documentary on the year, featuring memories from such ‘87 luminaries as Carol Decker, Kim Appleby, the bloke from Curiosity Killed The Cat, and the now internet-immortalised Rick Astley... brought it all back, the time I first discovered the “pop charts”!

There was actually a mention of the indie stuff and how they tried to squeeze it into TOTP. Also talk of how they couldn’t get American artists like Jacko on and they were trying to resist becoming a video show - on one occasion MJ’s management wouldn’t even provide the video when he was number 1, and they seemingly just closed with the #2 song instead!

User avatar
Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore
Posts: 6832
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:26
Location: Merrie England

Re: Which MJ Song do you Listen most of the Time?

Post by Billy Whiz » 25 Jan 2019, 16:40

Billie Jean his best song, for me

I think Off the Wall was wildly overrated. I bought it at the time but after several years of not listening to it, gave it to a charity shop. (Probably could have sold it for £20 or something on eBay, what with it being a vinyl original)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts
Post Reply

Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests