To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Great TV Series

Post by forestfan »

And another thought on Vikings... I think in the early to middle series they tried too hard to do the GoT-style multiple storylines in different locations, which didn’t always quite work when there was one clear lead character, as there was too much you just didn’t really care about as a viewer (e.g. Wessex, and to an extent Paris, when Ragnar and the Vikings weren’t actually there). Now it’s more like its aforementioned rival in that there are perhaps five or six co-leads, and all the separate strands knit together quite well.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Zimmerman wrote:Escape at Dannemora is probably my next project;

Sky Atlantic
Benecio Del Torro

Will see how it goes.
Watched the first 4 and after a dodgy start we're now enjoying this. Will be a week before we pick this up again.

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

Zimmerman wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 16:19 Escape at Dannemora is probably my next project;
Watched this over Xmas, enjoyed it but felt it ended too quickly-as if it was squashed within 10 episodes.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

happyhoppy wrote:Might take a look at Deuce.

I started You and I’m embarrassed to say I’m quite enjoying it.

And Luther of course, done 2/4.

Finished YOU and it was really good actually. Recommend it. Great twist and turning end.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Loved the last season of Luther, even though the plot was (as usual) quite ludicrous. But that's all part its charm :wink:

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Meanwhile I'm hoping that Alice actually landed on a mattress (we didn't see any blood, did we?) and that she'll be back for another series

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Billy Whiz wrote:Loved the last season of Luther, even though the plot was (as usual) quite ludicrous. But that's all part its charm :wink:
Gave up after series 1. Was dull and ludicrous. Surprised it kept going and became popular.

Just finished Manhunt, 3 parter based on the real life murders in SW London inc Millie Downer. Very good, even/especiallyvMartin Clunes as the main cop. More 'edge of the seat' and bingeable than most fiction.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

murf wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 21:30
Billy Whiz wrote:Loved the last season of Luther, even though the plot was (as usual) quite ludicrous. But that's all part its charm :wink:
Gave up after series 1. Was dull and ludicrous. Surprised it kept going and became popular.

Just finished Manhunt, 3 parter based on the real life murders in SW London inc Millie Downer. Very good, even/especiallyvMartin Clunes as the main cop. More 'edge of the seat' and bingeable than most fiction.
I continued watching Luther as the Mrs likes it but I just don’t get the hype over it.

Watched Manhunt when it first came out (bit behind here Murf😉) and thought it was superb.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I’m another in the not-a fan of-Luther camp.

Just didn’t warm to it and couldn’t understand the hype. Don’t think I got beyond 2-3 episodes.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

happyhoppy wrote:
murf wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 21:30

I continued watching Luther as the Mrs likes it but I just don’t get the hype over it.

Watched Manhunt when it first came out (bit behind here MurfImage) and thought it was superb.
Manhunt was new this week wasn't it (ITV)? Think there was another series with same name.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Wasn’t the silence of the lambs prequel called manhunt?

There was an old (dodgy) film from years back. Think that got remade (post SotL success).

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote:Wasn’t the silence of the lambs prequel called manhunt?

There was an old (dodgy) film from years back. Think that got remade (post SotL success).
The book and remake were called Red Dragon. The original film was called ManhuntER I think. Was pretty/very good from memory (Michael 'Miami Vice' Mann made it I think but don't let that put you off).

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Manchester by the Sea is on at 9.45-12.00 on BBC2 tonight

Really outstanding film

Well worth a watch if you've never seen it before

Ok not a TV series and clashes with MotD but could record it, really recommend it.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

The thing about Luther is it's all slightly tongue in cheek (a bit like Killing Eve was, which also had a ludicrous plot). He's the heroic failure, the tragi-comic detective - you just know that the more he tries to sort out his life, the worse it will get. He wears the same ridiculous red tie all the time and a huge overcoat that somehow still seems to be too small for him. His flat is the kind of place that a rough sleeper would turn down. Meanwhile the wickedly enigmatic Alice (Ruth Wilson) is almost like a pantomime figure who keeps popping up to taunt him.

You either get it or you don't, I guess :?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Is it all that (as in, what you said)?

You make it sound like “A touch of cloth” when in reality (IMO) it’s just a lazy cliched detective series.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Most detective series are by definition cliched to some extent, because if they didn't follow certain tropes - crimes are committed and it's up to the detective to identify and catch the perpetrator - then they wouldn't be a "detective series", they'd be something else. So I don't mind the cliched accusation so much. Is it lazy? I don't think so, because the production values are good and the acting - Idris Elba, Ruth Wilson and in the last series Patrick Malahide and Luther's new sidekick Wunmi Musaki, is great. I don't see any laziness there.
Last edited by Billy Whiz on 18 Jan 2019, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

I guess I’m spoilt with Line of Duty.

Btw I absolutely loved Killing Eve.

In other news I’ve restarted Escape at Dannemora and have now done 5 we are both enjoying this.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

I agree it's not as good as Line of Duty!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Line of Duty is back on soon isn't it?
Killing Eve was mostly great but really fell apart towards the end when they didn't know how to resolve it realistically and in line with the characterisation. Created great characters and then didn't do much with them.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Yep, it was a shame how it fizzled out...

2nd Series soon, i believe.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:Yep, it was a shame how it fizzled out...

The big issue with many series these days, the need to not resolve anything so series 2 is possible.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 15:57
blahblah wrote:Yep, it was a shame how it fizzled out...

The big issue with many series these days, the need to not resolve anything so series 2 is possible.
Yep, and to think there were only 12 Episodes of Faulty Towers....

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

happyhoppy wrote:I guess I’m spoilt with Line of Duty.

Btw I absolutely loved Killing Eve.

In other news I’ve restarted Escape at Dannemora and have now done 5 we are both enjoying this.

Finished EAD. Really good got better and better. A series me and the Mrs both enjoyed. 9/10

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

Just finished S3 of The Good Place, really enjoyed it, thanks to those on here who recommended it.

Lighthearted and daft, but very watchable.

Hope there’s an S4!

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Some of our friends recommended Luther and I've just started watching season one on iPlayer, must admit enjoying it and looks very promising.

They too echoed one of the above comments in that it's not as good as Line of Duty but right up there nevertheless.

Killing Eve was a favourite too and what a disappointment the last episode was.

The amount of second seasons I've thought second rate is growing from Broadchurch to Westworld (although I admit there were plenty who took the opposite view and thought the second series decent)...and numerous ones between.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

The second season is always difficult, get through it and you're there for the long haul I think.

One episode from being up to date on Vikings now, just read that Season 6 will be the last one (though a 2-parter as per 4 and 5, so finale probably a couple of years away). Think that's probably about right, otherwise they're going to have to move it on another generation, and the handful of original characters remaining are starting to be marginalised now.

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

Watching 2nd season of Punisher. I like the season so far, few episodes left though and the ending can change my opinion, but so far quite good.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Little update of what I’ve been watching.

Finished Vikings. It was alright I guess but didn’t really grip me like it did earlier. Post Ragnar just didn’t work as well.

Started Bates Motel recommended on here and now on Netflix. Prequel series to Pyscho. Had to pause after E1 cos Mrs H thinks she might want to watch it.

Watched a few episodes of Orphan Black which is ok.

On S3 of inside No9 previously on BBC now on Netflix which are Black Mirror style short stories. Some are brilliant. Only 30 mins each.

Best series though has been True Detective which completely passed me by. Got just the last episode of S1 to finish tonight with the Mrs. Really enjoyed this.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Season 1 of True Detective was absolutely fantastic (although the finale was a MASSIVE let down).

Season 2 I didn’t enjoy as much and Season 3 is still sat on my recorder.

Inside no.9 is pretty good.
Some are really enjoyable and some are a bit meh. But as they are short and completely standalone - it’s no big deal if you get one you’re not fond of.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Yep one or two were like, what???

The IMDb scores which swayed me to watch are very high for S1 of True Detective they fall away from S2 quite alarmingly.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”