To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 45

It was rush’em and Basham for the first quarter. I was half expecting the Sheffield fans to break out singing ‘ Let’s get physical’.
Bielsa was no doubt correct in not starting Saiz. Watching Alioski against McGoldrick gave me a flashback to those school football days where our little sparrow was up against the boy with the beard.
Leeds, for the first time in a while weren’t going for gold. It ended up with Gold going for them. Cooper crocked himself in a challenge with McGoldrick. Goldie-no-locks should have seen red later on with his challenge on Klich.
With 20 minutes gone,Cooper hobbled off and Halme sprung from the bench.
‘Stay calm Halme’ I was shouting in hypocritical desperation. He was not to disappoint. Within minutes the centre back was having a shot saved. Not to be outshone Egan the Blades centre back, then tried one himself from 45 yards. This was to be a derby of unforced errors.
Stevens should have seen red for a 2nd bookable offence, it was then we knew we were up against twelve. It was a bad day at the office for the ref.
Many are saying ‘Lucky’ Leeds for this match, I agree to differ. The Leeds goal was created by expected persistence. Some would say Clarke was chasing a lost cause but like the old school tactic of the follow up, it paid dividends.
Leeds deserved this.
Bielsa is back on his bucket and I’m happy with Aapo.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 46.

The last of the London clubs, QPR, arrive with just one win in the five. Brentford and Millwall both managed a 1-1 draw.
QPR always seemed to be the BBC darlings. I suppose it’s only natural to take interest in a team, near to where you work. They are losing their gloss now due to BBC reorganization. They’ve moved some up North to that ‘Dirty Old Town’. Expect Salford to be the new darlings.
This is the last home match before Xmas. It’s rumoured it’s sold out.
The injury list has grown as Dallas is sidelined until mid January. It looks like another young ‘un of defensive qualities will need be introduced. It’s not looking good. It is likely to be Shackleton.
Bielsa has been dealt some poor cards but has somehow managed to get 3 wins and 3 clean sheets on the trot.
Roofe and Phillips scored in a 2-0 victory in last seasons match . Roofe also scored a hat-trick at Loftus Road. Leeds need to win this, as a rush of away games awaits.
I’m on the pessimistic side at the moment with our defence. This is the limit. Another injury to a defender will really turn the pressure up. With the Xmas glut of games coming up we need to get through this game with no set backs.
Here’s hoping for a 1-0 and no injuries.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

PENALTY 56 Games

NB Its 59 games apparently.
Last edited by jimmy ching on 12 Dec 2018, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 47.

I never feel comfortable after feeling comfortable for the first twenty minutes of the game. Then, as suspected, the fog moved in. We were playing our Roofe card they were playing their Wells. Their wishes were granted, but on two conditions. The first arrived just before half time, Roofe finishing off persistent build up play. He should have achieved more earlier on in the match with two good chances squandered. Leeds deserved to be level at half time.
Who would have noticed Shackleton was a third choice player? He just melted in to the system and produced what was required. How does Bielsa make them achieve this? Even with his injury list looking ominous, he’s saying he’s not interested in the winter transfer window. He builds his players in to a kind of automaton which can readily replace a broken part. Somehow he’s achieving this.
Leeds had more to do. The stats had shown the Whites hadn’t managed to win so far this season, if they had fallen behind. We needed some kind of charm and it duly arrived. A simple hand ball and the ref pointed to the………….. is it? Has he? Yes, he’s given a penalty. At last, this haunting stat has been broken. I believe that is 56 league games without a penalty. I hear Burnley had a similar situation before.
How ironic that it was Steve ‘The brolly man’ in the opposition dug out as the rain started to fall. It then began to gust and built up wildly. It was blowing and gusting in one direction, the Leeds goal. McClaren, seeing his opportunity brought on the ex Leeds forward Matt Smith. Bielsa reacted immediately by bringing on Halme. Aapo’s first challenge against Smith was a win, as the crowd cheered in delight. It was clear the weather could win this one. As it happened Bailey-Peacock tipped a dipping shot over the bar in the final minutes.
An excellent performance overall, considering the conditions.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 48.

Leeds are 2nd Bolton are 23rd. The Whites have won the last 4, the Trotters haven’t won for 11. In the head to head of 58 games Leeds are 4 up and have won this match in the last 5 outings. This has away win banker written all over it.
Cash, wages and Bolton don’t seem to be mixing well at the moment. The vultures are circling. Bolton’s board will consider this match a blessing when football competes with the cost of Xmas shopping. It could have been Brentford but that’s next weeks opponent for Bolton.
Putting it frankly, they are capable of good performance, as they have shown 4th placed Lampardby.
I was glad to see Bolton start the season as the surprise team, even though I’d predicted them for a long hard season at the bottom. It looks like now they are in their Last Chance Saloon. Nobody likes working and not receiving their wages. I know quite a few of us have been there and completely understand the stress caused.
Gone are the days of Burnden Park, where we regularly saw players fall off the touch line.
This is their chance to forget their stress for 90 minutes. Last time out, they were yet another last minute victim at Carrow Road, as Norwich scored another Pukking goal. Ipswich aside, the bottom of the table is a lot closer than the top for a change.
This is another of those must win matches, not because of the football but to show solidarity with the French. Since we’ll be wearing the Gilets Jaunes in the Macron Stadium, it is but our duty to strive for victory!

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 49

It was around the 50th minute Phillips skied a desperate shot. Roofe was being smothered and marked out of the game and the weather wasn’t helping.
Bielsa then brought on Bamford. Clarke moved down the wing, passed inside to Klich, knocked on to Hernandez, who pushed through a pass for Bamford to cleanly sweep it home. At last, his first championship goal of the season. An important one at that. That was a 2 point goal that matched Bailey Peacocks 2 point penalty save a few games ago. Those two situations have provided 6 points when it could so easily have been 2.
Roofe now has some competition. Bamford had just notched a hat-trick in the top of the table clash against the Burnley U23’s. He looks awake. Bielsa has nursed him back in to football again. It was just a couple of weeks ago we saw Bamford strike a beautiful goal in training, in which Bielsa ran across the training pitch to give him a hug. It’s the devil in the detail.
He sees things and then meticulously plans them. Phillips in the back four has produced the right result again. Bolton didn’t even manage a shot on target. He’s showed Phillips that he is versatile.
A problem arose this week for Marcelo and he’s dealt with it quickly. Saiz is off back to Spain. Family comes first. Yes, we will miss him but faith in Bielsa I have.
A tricky host of games are coming up but let’s face it, it’s the same for every one.
Come Saturday, if the Canaries don’t manage a win, Leeds will be top for Xmas.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 50.
Beaten by Birmingham, bombed out by WBA, so it’s now up to Villa to make it a Brummy hat-trick.
When looking at the fixtures, this was the one I had down for a loss. I’d decided I’d be happy with 6 points either side of this match. We’re nearly halfway there. Maybe my optimism is starting to run away with itself. The one irritation for Villa and Leeds fans is the shortening of the Xmas fixtures by a day. Some might say it’s finicky but I’m sure Blackburn and Swansea will have no complaint. An extra 24 can be crucial during this part of the season. Forest and Derby have already been on a 48 hour short to Bristol City and QPR.
Villas run of fixtures hasn’t been kind since they took on Derby in November. Unbeaten in seven, they must be pleased with their progress. Dean Smith, their manager has already squared up to Bielsa this season, managing Brentford to a 1-1 draw at Elland Road. The Brentford plummet since he left, is there for all to see. Dean knows his onions.
Us Leeds fans do have a hint of jealously of the parachute payments that allow some teams a little short term luxury. Villa know they need it this year. Mr Smith has done it with peanuts at Brentford and there is no doubt he’ll be better at it with the spondoolies. Leeds have no way of matching them in the January transfer window.
Saiz has gone but has he left a void? I don’t know. It wouldn’t surprise if Bielsa sticks Clarke there. At the moment, it seems Baker isn’t up to it. Everybody seems to be waiting for an Izzy Brown debut. I just want Baker to start Kliching.
I always liked the visit to Villa Park, it usually meant it was a semi-final. I don’t like these Wembley Semi’s, so now it’s only Villa. All said tongue in cheek. Of all the teams from the Birmingham region I’d choose them. In my lifetime, I’ve seen them go from the 3rd division to European Champions. Respect. An excellent reward for a loyal fanbase.
82 times they have met and it reads ‘take your choice’, 27 wins, 28 draws and 27 losses. NB. Villa have won 20 at home.
Yep, I agree with Dean Smith, Villa will score. One warning is, Leeds have scored in all their away matches so far this season.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Typically competitive El Cloughico, but few clear cut chances so far...

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 51

It’ll be a Red Xmas in Liverpool, a Blue Xmas in Portsmouth but best of all a White Xmas in Leeds.
How did that happen?
The line up shouted tactic change. Bamford and Tyler Roberts weren’t in the squad, leaving Roofe as the sole choice striker. I thought ,if he gets subbed in this one I’ll be very surprised. It is now up to Harrison and Alioski to provide their early season promise. Then another confusion, Douglas was throwing a sickie and Davies was thrown in at the deep end. Such a late change. From the kick off we were in emergency mode.
Villa smelt blood. Within five minutes Abraham had scored. Davies was being turned at will as the assault continued. Another interception, another presented chance as Hourihane scored the 2nd. We were being carpet baggied again.
Cancel Xmas! Oh, where’s me whiskey?
Everything was shouting buy, buy Bielsa or was it bye, bye Bielsa? What a cruel end to a fading dream.
Fortunately, the whiskey that I grabbed was made when we were last in the Premiership. It’s quality and finesse brought a reasoned approach to my thoughts of doom. We were starting to get our game together. 2-0 down at half time. Bielsa’s chance to get his belief across was now.
Harrison off, Clarke on.
Everybody should know by now, I rate Jack. Is he reading the game well from the bench? Was Harrison revealing defenders movements for him? Is he building ideas in his head as he watches? Or does he just do what Bielsa tells him?
Whichever way, it works. At last a reward of a goal and he’s earned it.
Then when you hear the word villa and Pontus, most think Roman but when in Leeds they think Janssen. He rose above the Villa defence to head his 3rd goal in 4 games against the Claret & Blue. Twice this season, Bielsa has pulled back level against Dean Smith. The draw was on the cards as Davies was taken off for Shackleton. Nyland had been called on a few times to keep Villa level only for the Roofe to bring the house down. Bielsa’s magic has worked again.
Yet again, a good advert for the Championship and football in general. How it can take you from grim bleak feelings to ecstasy within the game, this is why this sport shines.
As my Grandad said
‘Jameson's is your whiskey’
and I’m pleased it was a 16 year old.
Merry Xmas to everybody, especially to those who are having a White one.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 52
Some of my youth was spent in Germany over Xmas and the New Year. It was there I discovered they all followed the English game when the Bundesliga takes the Xmas break. This is the time of year where Europe takes interest in the English set up. The FA and FL must always bear this in mind when taking decisions on the possibility of a winter break. To me, it’s this part of the season that makes it special. Klopp, Wagner and Farke, were no doubt hooked with all that Xmas coverage in their growing years.
The intensity and relentlessness is a test of character. A bad run during the festive period can end up with a 3rd round Cup defeat, signalling the end of your teams season. We’ve all been there haven’t we?
It used to be a bit more drastic before the Play Off's were introduced. By the end of January, most teams knew it would be a nothing season. The play offs do a good job of deluding you ‘till a couple of months later.
I just hope you eat all of your Xmas dinner as I don’t want any Xmas stuffing on Boxing Day. Blackburn are arriving in town, hoping to do the double over Leeds. The Leeds fans have responded to the festive season by having the sold out sign up for the next two home games. Expectation is high.
Berardi, Saiz, Cooper and Dallas all started in that defeat at Ewood Park and will be absent. Hernandez,Clarke and Shackleton came on as subs in the last twenty minutes of that game. Roofe was subbed. They will all probably play in this one.
Ayling has surprised everyone with a quick return to fitness. Bamford, Roberts and Douglas had a no show last time out.
After Saturdays results, it looks like the Carpet Baggies are on a surge. Delia is struggling to move her pie’s as Pukki is promoting another brand. She’s still smiling though.
Harrington is going to be the 4th official for the Blackburn game. Let’s hope it’s a family Xmas.
If Leeds win this, their 1st target will have been achieved. That ‘50 points and you don’t get relegated,’ will be uttered.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 53

Well I never.

In my street football years, we used to play out imaginary comebacks. Yes, occasionally I’d hear

‘Jim, don’t you think you’re taking it a bit too far today?’

Well, sometimes it happens.

The explosion of noise when Roofe’s header hit the back of the net, was something special.
On Saturday, we saw Abraham, laying on his back and Hourihane shaking his head, both in disbelief. Today, the Blackburn players were rooted to their spot, with the odd one collapsing, all in shock or was it in awe? The sonics were a chaos of noise.

I liked it. Is this what we watch football for?
Well, give me more.
There has been a few times I’ve wondered what it would be like watching gladiators and how I would react. These immense surges of passion and emotions done in unison by thousands of spectators still surprises me.
But why should it? From the Maya’s of the America’s to the Dynasties of China, we have always found ways of channelling tribalism in to something more constructive and controllable.

Long live the games.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 54
It’s a Yorkshire derby. Hull are coming to town. Many people may not have noticed but this match is between the top two in form teams. Between them in the the last 5 games, they have a combined total of 28 points from a possible 30. The Tigers are finding the net but the man that scored 2 on Boxing Day is heading off to Team Australia for some internationals.
There is no doubt Adkins has got the squad playing after a poor start to the season. They have a tendency to score in the first 15, just like Leeds and Norwich have a routine of scoring in the 2nd half. If they handed out points for the half-time score, Hull are 9th with 33 points, Leeds 12th with 32 and Norwich 21st with 25. Yes, a surprising read. Fitness, persistence and and the will of the crowd can bring dividends.
This Hull-Leeds derby still plays 2nd fiddle to the Rugby League equivalent, no matter which Hull side they play. It was the Huddersfield lot who began throwing mud and saying Leeds and Hull are just rugby towns. They went as low as using the FA courts to get their hands on one of the Leeds United founders, Herbert Chapman. The rest is history.
Up until the Don arrived, the Terriers had a point. Roundhay, Headingley, Morley, Bramley, Leeds RL and Hunslet were all competing set ups for the paying public. Hull City must find it hard in these circumstances. After all these years, it still doesn’t feel like a derby.
Sorry for going off on a tangent. Roberts scored the winner at Hull, he’ll be on the bench this coming Saturday. We are still waiting on Bamford. With all this festive fun, I’m going for an early goal for Hull, and Leeds having to level twice to get a point. 2-2.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 55
A reality check, served by Bowen and Grosicki. Hull are on a roll. Are they now the new Fulham of the season? Worth keeping an eye out for.
Another poor first half performance. Hull were controlled, confident and compact. They hadn’t come here to entertain, they had come here to win.
Bowen far outshone Roofe and on today’s performance I would swap them. Grosicki showed his Polish underling Klich how to get through the festive season. Klich had his opportunities but as of late, he doesn’t seem to be testing the goalkeepers agility.
Was this a day we missed Saiz? I don’t think so. Hernandez put a shift in but nothing seemed to go right. Another observation was the Hull defenders were more worried about Clarke in the 2nd half than Harrison in the 1st.
As it happens Leeds finish the year on top of the Championship. WBA, missed a chance of gaining more than one point on the top two as Norwich succumbed to a last minute loss at home to Lampards Derby. Fortunately for the Whites, it looks like Hull are the only team that can achieve a 12 point Xmas.
The transfer window is opening soon and I don’t really want to say this but we need more bodies.
Bowen and Marshall from Hull would please me. I’m sure there are many more options. A cheeky bid for Maupay wouldn’t go amiss. I know, I shouldn’t let feelies take over the reality of the situation. We are skint and Bielsa knows this.
As the sun goes down on the year, we must start heading towards to that Forest on the southern horizon.
Happy New Year, all.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 56
Leeds last draw was against Forest. Since then, they have lost 2 and won 8. Forest have won 3, drawn 4 and Lost 4. There has been unrest at Trent Bridge. Karanka’s results haven’t produced what the board were expecting for their money. He needs to win this one.
Leeds are smarting from that Hull defeat. Another game where they had 70% possession, more shots etc. There is one thing for certain, the power and accuracy of the shots needs improving.
At least we can happily reassure ourselves that they are creating chances.
Trent Bridge and it’s region always guarantees good sporting opposition, be it football, cricket or boat sports etc. Where are the ice skaters now though?
My son just said,
‘Nottingham Forest, where do they play?’
My curt reply was,
‘Next to Notts County’
At that moment, it dawned on me. Nobody wants to be associated with Nottingham since King John ruled the roost. It’s heritage celebrates the revolutionary outlying areas of the past.
King John called him Robin B’stard, we called him Robin Hood.
All said and done, a fun town to visit, whether to Goose or to gander.
My prediction a 1-1 draw.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 57

Did any body foresee Forshaw’s fall? What a time to choose to fall over. 1-0 Forest.
Leeds started to push. Robinson on another day could have seen red but Phillips on any day would have. Besides that, Forest were trying to take a breather whenever they could. It was starting to look like Leeds were wearing them down. Then Phillips red, changed the probable prognosis. Forshaw finished off the half as he started it and forced Bailey-Peacock in to an essential but unnecessary save. Bielsa had 15 minutes to get this sorted. I just wonder if Phillips was in the dressing room.
Marcelo did his normal change. Clarke on for Harrison.
Then surprisingly Leeds just carried on taking the game to Forest. It was time to admire Jack Clarkes rawness and naivety. Klich plays him through, side foot, 1-1. They continued, was this 10 against 11? More pressure, Jansen nods back and to the red fans horror, there were only Leeds players there, Alioski 2-1. Some fans were starting to get Karanka-itus.
Then, a mad seven minutes helped Karanka in his stay of execution. Colback scored a much better 2nd. 2-2. Murphy became another player to head in from a corner against this Leeds defence3-2. The match would have been won by my best goal of the game, if Murphy hadn’t been offside in the build up but it stood 4-2. But hey, swings and roundabouts.
This was an entertaining match. It has become quite clear over Xmas, Marcelo needs to get a defender and a goalie in the transfer window. I still sense that the Forest fans are not happy with their boss.
After checking the other results today, of all the teams it must be the Blades that are laughing. Meanwhile, Hull are slowly sneaking around the back but people are starting to notice. The Championship is turning back to normality.

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

Another defeat for Ipswich today. Think that's it for us, can see a way out of it.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Another defeat for Reading today too. Shame really as they put in a good shift against QPR at the weekend but lost (thrashed) in the new manager's first home game this afternoon.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 58
I’ll be blatantly honest here, I no longer have any real interest in The FA Cup. We might as well call it the U23 Showcase Cup. The value the FA put on it has been reciprocated by the clubs taking part. That day was reached when they allowed Manchester United not to take part with no penalty. It lost it’s value in the pecking order.
It used to be a dream to win it, now it’s a dream to avoid it. All those bookings, injuries and re-arranged league matches make it an irritating addition to the season. It’s about as much use as the Europa Cup. It adds no more value to the game at the moment. It just feels like another attempt by those in football to extract more money from loyal fans for a product that is obviously inferior to the regular product they receive week in week out.
Leeds are away to QPR. I just hope we carry on our appalling Cup record. One time it took us 13 attempts to win an FA Cup game. This time, I’ll humbly accept defeat.
Leeds squad is so light on numbers we need the 4th Round weekend to be fixture free and time to take a well earned rest.
Well, after that rant, I get the feeling things aren’t going to go the way I want them to.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

A strangely predictable Christmas and New Year for Forest... four points (should have been six) against the top two, and losing to two mediocre teams alongside that. The Leeds result has probably bought Karanka a bit more time, but we always change manager between December and February so not sure how much.

Given we raise our game against the better sides, Chelsea away should be a piece of piss... they haven’t lost a third round tie for 21 years :shock: so are long overdue. And we took out the holders at this stage last year...

Regarding the FA Cup, I think that Man Utd incident 20 years ago is a red herring that everyone always brings up... it was the wrong decision, they should have been allowed to play a youth team, but it was a one-off and a long time ago. What took the prestige away from the Cup was the introduction of two (then three and four) Champions League places. Suddenly, finishing second, third or fourth in the League outweighed actually winning something. Add to that the saturation TV coverage that made the final less special as an occasion, semis at Wembley and a few other factors. My answer would be to give it a Champions League place for the winners and “Super Bowl up” the final with a half-time show etc, make it the TV event of the spring...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

How shit are we, never mind losing to Preston and Millwall, we’ve let Morata score twice... Karanka out :wink:

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

No chance of an FA Cup shock at Accrington today, with the home side winning...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

get_on_my_cocker wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 20:55 No chance of an FA Cup shock at Accrington today, with the home side winning...
Ipswich Town? Who are they? Exactly :wink:

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

They're reduced to calling Cardiff's away defeat at Gillingham an upset, which although it is as two leagues apart with both struggling, it's hardly anything to turn heads and Cardiff may even be thankful they have no distractions from their relegation fight.

Farcically calling rock bottom Huddersfield's defeat at Championship Bristol a shock too when Bristol were favourites.

Poor Newcastle, the bar codes scored a late-ish equaliser and face a highly unwanted replay at Blackburn, they may wish like Cardiff that they were done with the FA cup and could concentrate on their relegation fight.

So many teams making eight or nine changes at the top and foot of the leagues, even Norwich made eight changes perhaps with promotion in mind, what this cup has come to and how it is now only a shadow of it's former self.

Even after a doubling of the prize money, the competition’s financial reward still feels paltry – the winners will earn just £3.6 million, which is less than Alexis Sánchez earns in two months at Manchester United, and less than the difference in prize money between finishing 15th and 16th in the Premier League

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, it shouldn’t be about the money, though everything is reduced to finances in this day and age, hence for example Man Utd’s CEO keeping his job because he keeps the share price rising even though he can’t actually get a decent football team out on the pitch, by their historic standards.

The trouble is that the FA Cup is now a consolation prize for the top clubs, but seen as too unlikely a prospect to win by lesser clubs because the gaps are too big, even against weakened sides, so they don’t bother committing maximum effort to it. But surely supporters want to win something, will teams in future really have commemorations of the anniversary of when they finished 12th in the Premier League?

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

While i fully agree clubs in midtable, with nothing else to play for really should target silverware, i can't understand Wolves saying they'll rest players against a likely full on second string Liverpool, i have every sympathy with the approach of teams who do put promotion first if they think their chances of attaining premier league status would be greatly enhanced by giving tired players a break.

Norwich have stumbled of late and perhaps their players were getting leggy or overstretched, maybe in the red zone for injuries, who knows? Their manager has made a decision and the rest of their promotion campaign could show whether its vindicated or not, although he had to call it now and not with the benefit of hindsight.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Bielsabub Babes 59

Norwich succeeded in the not so subtle way. A sending off at 15 minutes and it took them until added on time to concede the tie. They didn’t want a replay.
Wednesday, Derby, Blackburn and Stoke all blew it by drawing.
The Sunday games started in the same vein. Sheffield United conceded a penalty at 21 minutes, cue Leeds, they concede one on 23.
Is this the football we want to advertise across the world, as the worlds oldest football competition?
The essence of The Cup, used to be ‘never say die.’ It doesn’t seem to be showing in this round.
Cue Baker’s long shot free kick, a spill and the duty of professionalism by Halme, to kick home his 1st goal for the club, 1-1. That cost him, he was subbed at half time. As fans, we were thinking injury? Another contemplation was his booking.
The attendance was in the 11,000 range with 3K of them shouting on Leeds.
BPF pulled off a good save from Cousins, then the opposite goalie Ingram smothered the chance presented to Roberts by defending errors. The game seemed to be drifting.
Then on the 75th minute Bidwell rose where Halme would have been to put QPR 2-1 up.
Following that, Freeman was very unlucky with a free kick coming off the inside of the post and it would have wound the game up. As it happened, the late come back never materialized. Odour, came on late to make his debut. The game petered out and as with the other teams, Hull, Preston and Sheffield Utd, 'The Mission' was accomplished.
Like most clubs we look on enviously at teams like Man City who can show that anything Tottenham can do, they’ll try to do better.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Stoke have sacked their manager Gary Rowett after just eight months in charge.

Maybe Mark Hughes then? :D

David Moyes is who they want apparently.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Stoke appoint Nathan Jones the now former Luton boss as manager.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 14:19 Stoke appoint Nathan Jones the now former Luton boss as manager.
Nathan Jones, you've been gone too long.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 10:08 Stoke have sacked their manager Gary Rowett after just eight months in charge.

Maybe Mark Hughes then? :D

David Moyes is who they want apparently.
Ah, Gary, i had every sympathy when you were sacked by us and didn't believe the rumours at the time that you were angling for a move elsewhere but jumping ship from Derby to Stoke so quickly, well, you've come unstuck old bean.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”