To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

FA CUP TRANSFER USEAGE

A Fantasy Football forum for news on Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph (TFF). Please post general messages about players etc that are non-specific to TFF on the 'Team News' Forum.

With 3rd round matches almost complete, the question is...was it worth it?

I gained massively over my super-league rivals and climbed the overall leaderboard.
15%
My gains were sufficient for transfers used and some ground was made.
65%
I used at least 1 transfer and wished I hadn't bothered.
12%
I used several transfers and sincerely wished I hadn't bothered.
No votes
I refrained from using transfers and maintained position...mostly down to luck.
8%
I refrained from using transfers and maintained position...mostly down to being a genius.
No votes

Total votes: 26

edmo33
FISOhead
FS Record: 7th Overall Sky Sports Euro2012, 15th Overall Sky Sports 2012/13, 77th overall TFF 12/13, 28th overall Irish Times 12/13

FA CUP TRANSFER USEAGE

Post by edmo33 »

:D :D

hayesag
Dumbledore
FS Record: piss poor

Re: FA CUP TRANSFER USEAGE

Post by hayesag »

WHAT!!!

Liverpool to get knocked the foook out in 90 mins and RAUL to bag a brace and show Lovren up for the garbage that he really is

BIG MONEY
Last edited by hayesag on 07 Jan 2019, 19:09, edited 2 times in total.

wandacatvenus
FISOhead
FS Record: 2017/18 - £5000 profit from Sky FF

Post by wandacatvenus »

I need an option for “Refrained from using transfers and moved upwards”

Don’t get too excited. A usual top 1k player down at 11k this season.

edmo33
FISOhead
FS Record: 7th Overall Sky Sports Euro2012, 15th Overall Sky Sports 2012/13, 77th overall TFF 12/13, 28th overall Irish Times 12/13

Post by edmo33 »

wandacatvenus wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 19:10 I need an option for “Refrained from using transfers and moved upwards”

Don’t get too excited. A usual top 1k player down at 11k this season.

You defo belong in the genius category then 8-)

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Daisy chain has been rubbish, got some points (7-5-7) but am left with Jesus who plays after my sold Kane as there were no sensible LEicester or Liverpool options. I did buy Firmino tonight in one chaining team in case of a sub appearance/weekend pointsfest.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Where's the option for: I didn't use any transfers and dropped like a stone?

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

75% of respondents (so far) have said that they used transfers and that their gains were good and acceptable. This I find difficult to believe. The average value of a transfer this season for a decent TFF has been around 17 pts on my estimates. Given the level of scoring during this round of the Cup I find it difficult to believe that those who made Cup transfers have achieved an average close to this. One might argue that they haven't yet got the full value from their transfers. But on the other hand some of the players brought in for the Cup will soon have to be moved on using another transfer. So either some managers are deluded as to what represents value for Cup transfers or a totally unrepresentative sample of managers have responded to this survey.

muldoon
FISOhead
FS Record: many years playing TFF, still learning the FPL ropes

Post by muldoon »

I did not make any transfers this weekend, but my Kane to Arnie transfer last week could be classd as such as was supposed to be a 3-0 over Harry as I thought he would be rested in the Cup. Alas he came on when 6-0 up of course and bagged a goal. I was annoyed Arnie was subbed so early in his 2nd game, but apparently he may not be injured so I hope to still get another game out of him before transferring back to Harry. Still looks OK so far, Arnie has 3 goals to Harry's 1, and Arsenal's defence has been woeful recently so fingers crossed Arnie can nick at least another one and go out with a bang.

I always think the 3rd round is massive trap, even the mid table teams reckon their 2nd teams can still comfortably get thro to the next round, so there's just too many benchings. We have a lot more all prem match ups in the 4th round, so I expect stronger teams and better scoring then.

I still think we will get some winter weather chaos too this year, which will throw even more of a spanner in the works and see more potential 3 and 4-1's, so I'm still embracing the tortoise for now (will have 25 left after putting Harry back in this weekend).

The Bear
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Would be alot better but for Andy L & E !

Post by The Bear »

What position are you Muldoon out of interest ?

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

The Bear wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 15:20 What position are you Muldoon out of interest ?
Given that he probably has 4/5 transfers in hand over the bulk of the leaderboard, and that those transfers are probably worth around 60-75 pts, any position on the leaderboard would be an extremely healthy one. So I'm guessing that you are hoping that he's not in the top 150 or so. :wink: :lol: :wink:
Last edited by Striker on 08 Jan 2019, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

Mins
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF 15th in 2010

Post by Mins »

Once Sterling was announced in the starting line up against Rotherham, I just had to bring him in. I would say this falls into the remit of a season long move and therefore worthy of "My gains were sufficient for transfers used and some ground was made" because without him I would be 9 pts and 2 places off where I currently am in my super league.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Certainly a vey worthwhile transfer which satisfied the "My gain were sufficient ............... " criterion, but it's arguable that it doesn't really fall into the "Cup Usage" category as the fact that it was a Cup match was only a peripheral reason for bringing Sterling into your team. The thread is surely aimed at those opportunistic point grabs that the early rounds of the Cup USED to be full of many seasons ago.

muldoon
FISOhead
FS Record: many years playing TFF, still learning the FPL ropes

Post by muldoon »

Striker wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 16:04
The Bear wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 15:20 What position are you Muldoon out of interest ?
Given that he probably has 4/5 transfers in hand over the bulk of the leaderboard, and that those transfers are probably worth around 60-75 pts, any position on the leaderboard would be an extremely healthy one. So I'm guessing that you are hoping that he's not in the top 150 or so. :wink: :lol: :wink:
:lol: I am absolutely not on the leader board or even close, not that I've even looked to be honest. I'm currently leading my super league and that's all that matters to me.

I'm a single entrant so always try and use those transfers with care, and am currently in 4352nd place.

EDIT: just checked and I'm currently still 114 points behind the person at the bottom of the leader board, so @the bear looks safe from me at least :D

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Yorkshire Exile »

if 4/5 transfers are worth 75 points..... you need to be afraid :wink: I'm actually 2nd.....

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Yorkshire Exile wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 17:39
if 4/5 transfers are worth 75 points..... you need to be afraid :wink: I'm actually 2nd.....
I think that's supposed to be 4/5 above the average, not just 4 or 5 left :-)

edmo33
FISOhead

Post by edmo33 »

I wonder what the average transfers remaining of the top 100 is?

Hard to gauge your position without this information.

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Yorkshire Exile »

Loads with plenty this year... Be a few with 25 left

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Average to Middling

Post by Jamjack »

Striker wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 16:18 Certainly a vey worthwhile transfer which satisfied the "My gain were sufficient ............... " criterion, but it's arguable that it doesn't really fall into the "Cup Usage" category as the fact that it was a Cup match was only a peripheral reason for bringing Sterling into your team. The thread is surely aimed at those opportunistic point grabs that the early rounds of the Cup USED to be full of many seasons ago.
Well, this would certainly apply to me. Arnie and Sterling were changed in most teams and the extra games around the cup match were a big factor although I wouldn’t have taken advantage of the extra games had one of them not been an attractive looking cup opportunity. Now I’ve confused the assessment of the original question even further!

edmo33
FISOhead

Post by edmo33 »

Jamjack wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 19:31
Striker wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 16:18 Certainly a vey worthwhile transfer which satisfied the "My gain were sufficient ............... " criterion, but it's arguable that it doesn't really fall into the "Cup Usage" category as the fact that it was a Cup match was only a peripheral reason for bringing Sterling into your team. The thread is surely aimed at those opportunistic point grabs that the early rounds of the Cup USED to be full of many seasons ago.
Well, this would certainly apply to me. Arnie and Sterling were changed in most teams and the extra games around the cup match were a big factor although I wouldn’t have taken advantage of the extra games had one of them not been an attractive looking cup opportunity. Now I’ve confused the assessment of the original question even further!

My original question and possible 'poll' answers are not (in hindsight) either mutually exclusive or exhaustive...
but it did lead to some debate as to the value of the cup and the transfer opportunities that arose.

Job done...I think. :wink:

Mins
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF 15th in 2010

Post by Mins »

Job done indeed. Round 4 will no doubt have some good options too looking at the draw.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Striker wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 23:21 75% of respondents (so far) have said that they used transfers and that their gains were good and acceptable. This I find difficult to believe. The average value of a transfer this season for a decent TFF has been around 17 pts on my estimates.
What's that based on? Starting xi vs current scores?

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

But how many transfers do the rest of us have? I'm not scared of your leading team, :wink: although I guess you may have some coming up from behind which are scarier. :(

As regards the question about the typical transfers of leader board teams, my guess is around 20-21 with a few having far fewer and a few having considerably more.

As regards Derbyand's question - Yup that was the method of calculation.

Jezza3
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Jezza3 »

Think it’s quite difficult to be sure what value a transfer should be. E.g in the championship game I have a team that started with Patrick Bamford (god knows why) which as he has virtually not played at all is showing in excess of 20 pts gained per transfer using the starting 11 v current team method. A team in the premier league game is a similar distance behind the leaders and is averaging 9

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Agreed. There's mistake correcting transfers (Jota) and keeping 11 on the pitch transfers (Mendy was in all my starting 11s) which are likely to show big gains. But with 40 to play with, there's room for a few lower gain but ultimately score boosting tinkers. I aim for 10 per transfer with those.

edmo33
FISOhead

Post by edmo33 »

Striker wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 23:50
But how many transfers do the rest of us have? I'm not scared of your leading team, :wink: although I guess you may have some coming up from behind which are scarier. :(

As regards the question about the typical transfers of leader board teams, my guess is around 20-21 with a few having far fewer and a few having considerably more.

As regards Derbyand's question - Yup that was the method of calculation.

There are hare teams still on the leaderboard, with under ten transfers. But the 'chasing' teams from these same players will definitely be more of a threat.

Always Next Year
Treebeard

Post by Always Next Year »

Jezza3 wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 07:39 Think it’s quite difficult to be sure what value a transfer should be. E.g in the championship game I have a team that started with Patrick Bamford (god knows why) which as he has virtually not played at all is showing in excess of 20 pts gained per transfer using the starting 11 v current team method. A team in the premier league game is a similar distance behind the leaders and is averaging 9
I think a good way to analyse this is to compare the points gained from transfers in relation to your starting XI overall leader board rank.

For example if you are in the top 500 starting XI and you have gained 10 points per transfers (overall score - starting Xi score / number of transfers) then i would assume you are in a good position.

ronny10
FISO Knight
FS Record: Not to shabby

Post by ronny10 »

I like this given I have a team in this scenario, not my one that's in the top 50 as that has used a few more transfers but I'm hopeful 1 of them can finish well.

One other also 20pts further back than my 2nd best with a healthy amount of transfers but prefer the set up of the other 2 teams!!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

So Jesus decides to score 4 goals TONIGHT....

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

murf wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 21:18 So Jesus decides to score 4 goals TONIGHT....

I nearly asked on the chit chat thread if anybody had brought him in. :oops:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Spinynorman wrote:
murf wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 21:18 So Jesus decides to score 4 goals TONIGHT....

I nearly asked on the chit chat thread if anybody had brought him in. :oops:
Think he got at least 1 KC too. A 25-30 point haul the other day would have made this a very different thread. That's why it was an acknowledged gamble. I'll pass next year and he'll score 5.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Telegraph Fantasy Football (TFF)”