To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Time to get the iron horse out of the stable

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Time to get the iron horse out of the stable

Post by Zimmerman »

Is there an equivalent of the couch to 5k for cycling?

I am going from absolute zero exercise to getting the bike out of the garage. For the best part of 20 years I have been pretty idle. I’ve had the odd flurry of activity that got me a bit fitter... but nothing of note for the the last 4 years. I do Pilates once a week and walk the dog everyday and that’s it!

At the moment I have done 4 x 2m rides.
The fact it does cause me a little discomfort and I feel I might actually struggle to go much further gives you an indication of my fitness levels (or lack of).

The fact there is a nice 2m circuit around my village gives me an easy cop out for now.... and whilst my intention is to gradually build up adding more and more miles to a route - conscious I will probably not push myself hard enough!!!

Therefore, any sort of plan that i can perhaps use as a foundation might be a good thing.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Time to get the iron horse out of the stable

Post by Zimmerman »

Answering my own questions 😂

There’s a couch to 50km (30 Miles) in 8 weeks.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowl ... ing-plan-0

I suppose by putting it here, there is some sort of fictitious peer pressure for me to see it through.

Let’s see. (I’m already thinking of obstacles... cold, dark, icy nights... how am I possibly going to get out).

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

Well done you. :-) The hardest part is getting off the couch in the first place and getting the motivation to keep it up. I have a really active job but my wife has started a get off the couch regime and it is good for me as well. We are doing longer walks on weekends and she is going to the gym 5 days a week.
Keep it up and enjoy :D

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

kudos to you guys too.

I work long hours and get up early and have a lengthy commute too. So I am adept at making excuses / justifying having a well earned break!

I know it’s cliched to start this sort of thing in the new year, but it’s now or never.

I’m 43 and I have a fondness for junk food. So at the very least, I need to get my heart working and maybe lose a little weight and build some basic muscle before I become a slug.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

The only way to start is to start. I did something similar with running back in 2013 and I'm still going.

Go for it!

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

So what happened? Your reached your goal ?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”