To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

International Break Filler!

A Fantasy Football forum for news on Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph (TFF). Please post general messages about players etc that are non-specific to TFF on the 'Team News' Forum.
Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Average to Middling

International Break Filler!

Post by Jamjack »

Anyone else watching the Premier League Show on BBC 2 tonight (which is reviewing the best teams of the Premier League) and finding that all of their memories are defined by the Fantasy Football favourites you had in those seasons?

Anelka, Robben, Henry, Bergkamp, Gudjohsen, Ronaldo, Drobga, Pires, Giggs, Zola, Scholes, Duff, Rooney, Alonso, Riise, Del Horno :lol: , Lampard,
Kyut, Hyypia, Shearer, Cole, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Robin Van Persie, Yorke, Bent, Keane, Ruud Van Niselroy, Tevez, Berbatov.

I going up the stairs tonight with a bit of a warm nostalgic glow.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Re: International Break Filler!

Post by raoul »

Dwight Yorke. A £2.3m midfielder who I was fortunate to pick from the start. Ahhh. Who needs Horlicks.

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

Was a bit of an eye opener for how long I’ve been playing the game. For some reason Pires, Jimmy FH, Bent and Riise are amoungst those I remember most fondly. They must have made a difference for me somewhere down the track!

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Mark Stein springs to mind as someone who was cheap and did okay for me and the thousands of other folks who thought they had spotted something unique. :mrgreen:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Moncur, Fjortoft, a Blackburn block, Le Tiss, Giggs...... I think Sutton was better than Sheared (he passed rather than just shot).

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Oh nooooooo. You mentioned Alan Shearer who many moons ago I took out of my team just before he scored 5! :shock:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

He is easily loathed....

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Morten Gamst Pedersen is a name I look back on fondly. Won me the work super league about a decade ago. Plenty of goals and assists and nobody else had him.

Just looked him up and he’s still playing at Tromsø.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep another FF Star, and for a fair while?

I saw him interviewed at the start of the season, I think, and he seemed sweet\genuine etc and glad to be home giving something back....

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

Maldini wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 16:52 Morten Gamst Pedersen
Oh how could I have forgotten him. I’ll see your MGP and raise you a Shaun Wright-Phillips 8 week purple patch.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Looks like they struggled to sell tickets for this one....

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

Tacalabala wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 19:47 Looks like they struggled to sell tickets for this one....
?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Jamjack wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 20:02
Tacalabala wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 19:47 Looks like they struggled to sell tickets for this one....
?
Croatia vs England is behind closed doors.....

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

blahblah wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 20:04
Jamjack wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 20:02
?
Croatia vs England is behind closed doors.....
:lol: Being from the North end of the UK I don’t follow international football :oops: Not selling any tickets will very likely be a feature of Scottish international games going forward but not on an enforced basis.

BT rather then Sky for me but Ithought the match tonight would be worth a watch. Had expected a bit more experimentation from GS than he has gone for though. 6 subs on 60 mins?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Your from Preston? I guessed nearer Edinburgh (and I dig the yank pronounciation), apparently Israel are really good (now) :lol:

Same here as but kinda worked out that something was up re no Prem fixtures.....

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

Correct but I’m looking at houses in Preston!

The only positive thing is nothing hurts anymore. It’s just another result. The shots on target stats where something like 9 - 2 in Israel’s favour. One of the 2 for Scotland was a pen! It’s easier to laugh about it!

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Jamjack wrote:Correct but I’m looking at houses in Preston!
I stayed in Preston the night before I viewed the house I live in now which, thankfully, isn't in Preston. Horrible place, or at least the area my hotel was in was. Genuinely scared to walk the dog!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Jamjack wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 19:00
Maldini wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 16:52 Morten Gamst Pedersen
Oh how could I have forgotten him. I’ll see your MGP and raise you a Shaun Wright-Phillips 8 week purple patch.
MGP was one of my stars when I got into the top 100 of TFF... Nobby Solano another old FF favourite, assist machine, also Steed Malbranque at Fulham... trying to think of others apart from the obvious ones!

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Best result I ever had was 54th and it was all down to Harry Rednapps Portsmouth. Heard on the telly around about Christmas that they had played all of the current top six and so I swapped to a Portsmouth block. Even my super league finished 4th! :shock:

It was all along time ago. :roll:

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

Being the sad person that I am, I’ve got quite in to this. A scroll through premier leagues players above 25 appearances brought to my attention I’d omitted to declare previous love (or at least deep affection) for Matt Taylor, Kanchelskis, Carvalho, Deco, Baros, Martin Petrov, Jelavic, Ballack, Demba Ba, Mido, Forlan and Michu.

Ok....I’ll stop now....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 21:05
Jamjack wrote:Correct but I’m looking at houses in Preston!
I stayed in Preston the night before I viewed the house I live in now which, thankfully, isn't in Preston. Horrible place, or at least the area my hotel was in was. Genuinely scared to walk the dog!
Great train links though?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Jamjack wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 20:45 Correct but I’m looking at houses in Preston!

The only positive thing is nothing hurts anymore. It’s just another result. The shots on target stats where something like 9 - 2 in Israel’s favour. One of the 2 for Scotland was a pen! It’s easier to laugh about it!
Imagine what it is like dealing with people who believe England were 2 matches away from being World Champions? If Wobbie and the Belgians (well that goal shy Chelsea bod) had hit the easy side of the draw then the same people would have rioted and demanded GS's head....

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

Think you are right actually but at least England beat the teams that were put in front of them (teams they should be beating). For me, the Scotland squad strength levels out at good Championship players. If well organised and being dragged along by a couple of players above that level, Scotland “should” be able to qualify for the Euros if not the WC. It won’t happen.

I think (?) the Prem is the richest league in the world but none of the experts have ever been able to help me understand why British players are typically technically inferior to the very top national teams (when it really matters). In the absence of an answer, I can’t help thinking British teams would befenit if our players were playing (week in week out) across the continent developing in different ways and maybe with a different mindset. Croatia being a good example of that albeit I don’t know what the route to those other leagues was for Modric, Perisic, Ratikic etc as very young players.

This is definitely the case for Scotland but given the existing standard in the Prem it feels more complicated for England.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Modric et al were born there? So an easy route to the Croat League - assuming post Civil War stuff had ended.... The thing with Croatia is they struggled to get to the semi. Without googling it was a trail of Penalty Shoot-outs, or at least Extra Time to beat, at best, mediocre nations. The other half of the draw had pretty much the top half of teams to get out of the Groups?

The English players are (admittedy this may be starting to change) rarely part of the creative\possession spine of the top Clubs ie not their Clubs best players, so why should chucking a load of Canona's Domestiques together make a team capable of competing with the Nations that their stars play for?

It is good that finally our kids are going abroad (well Germany) and that they are wanted. Now if our "coaches" follow then we may not be left with ex-players with a few O Levels being considered intelligent......

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

blahblah wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 17:52 Modric et al were born there? So an easy route to the Croat League
:lol: :lol: Sorry, I meant their route out of Croatia to get to La Liga and Prem etc. Badly written :lol: :lol:

You have got to be right on the point about coaches. For the last 10 years a panicking chairman’s strategy for avoiding relegation with 10 games left is to sack Alardyce / Pardew / Pullis / Hughes / etc and hire one of the others who doesn’t have a job.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I was jesting :lol:

I would guess that the 70's and 80's would have any sensible Manager DoF having Scouts looking for the next Hagi, Gica Poescu, Dragan Stojkovic et al and Croatia are providing the cream from the olde Yugoslavia after Slaven (Bilic) et al that typed they would not have been in the WC Final if in the other half of the draw, just as England wouldn't have got to the 3rd\4th Place match.

It's more than 10 years :lol: :lol: :lol: Hughes and Reep launched POMO (position of maximum opportunity) and seriously freaked British football - Reep was the bod behind the Norway win with the bod going on about Maggie shove that ... well, you get the idea. But 'twas death (or hari kari) by stats

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

Just checked the score :shock: :shock: Something must be working.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Telegraph Fantasy Football (TFF)”