To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Great TV Series

Post by forestfan »

Billy Whiz wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 12:50 In the best dramas the characters' desires/decisions/problems/mistakes etc drive the plot, and because we believe in the characters we believe in the plot. The trouble with something like The Bodyguard (which I stopped watching after the first wildly implausible episode) is that the plot is driving the characters, making them unbelievable. It's like you can see the writer pulling the strings and the characters jerking around like puppets, doing their masters' bidding. Sometimes, of course, the plot is so captivating that this doesn't matter so much, but then the plot has to be pretty watertight to keep us interested.

Sometimes it's the other way round: Succession, which I mentioned a few days ago, has on the face of it a fairly standard plot, but the characters are so well drawn (and become more so as the series progresses), that the plot becomes secondary.
It depends if you want a high-octane thriller, a TV version of a Bond or Bourne film with lots of action packed into six episodes or so, or a character-driven slow burner that’s designed to grow over a number of full-length series. There’s room for both, like T20 and Test cricket...

The latter sort are perhaps best binge-watched once they’re a few series in or already done and dusted with classic status assured... then you know they’re worth persisting with and investing time in.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

forestfan wrote:
hancockjr wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 23:18
forestfan wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 21:21
happyhoppy wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 07:42 The Bodyguard was very good but for me didn’t live up to its early promise. I never really felt the tension over the suicide vest in that last episode that I did in the first episode and it did drag on quite a bit.
The early episodes were so explosive that it couldn’t be sustained, unlike a lot of series where it builds up gradually. Thought the finale was good though, just the right balance of tension and resolution, I didn’t pick the identity of the bent cop or the Nadia twist in advance.

There’s sure to be a Series 2/sequel of sorts given the ratings, though not quite sure where they will take it. Richard Madden will be in demand anyway, this has surely put him up there with his former GoT co-stars like Kit Harington and Emilia Clarke - he’s already been getting mentions as a potential future Bond.
The Nadia twist was ridiculous - what sort of terrorist organisation would use a highly skilled bomb maker as a suicide bomber? Brilliantly acted, terribly scripted.
Perhaps she never actually intended to detonate the train bomb, and it was just part of the conspiracy to involve Budd in the situation (otherwise why did they pick a Sunday night train from Glasgow to London as opposed to a packed commuter one?), present her as a scared innocent victim, and distract attention from what was to follow? Though still seems a bit of an own goal in terms of increasing the security level around the politician they plotted to kill...

Alternatively, I guess there are probably people who just feel it is their duty to give their lives in this way, whether or not they are a skilled part of the operation. But you would have thought the ringleaders would make sure it was someone expendable.

The fanaticism of some and their absolute belief in a martyr's death being the gateway to a higher eternal existence, can be an extremely powerful driving force.

If that was Nadia's ultimate aim in this earthly life, then although a skilled bomber, she would have been taking steps to hopefully be in a position to eventually achieve this.

While on the surface it makes absolutely no sense for any terrorist grouping to use such a skilled individual as a human bomb, when others are available, it could be just plausible if she herself was of such a high rank as to override this. She may well have possibly ensured the necessary explosive expertise had been passed on or that it could and would be replaced.

As with blah, I was trying to avoid spoilers, but there was always the puzzle to me from the previous episode......Why had Nadia said Longcross supplied the bomb to her husband? This made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why would the secret service want the train blown up? (There are other ways of promoting their 'favoured' politician's new terrorist security bill, as it seemed that the only possible reason they could have had)

The information Nadia gleaned from photographs and information on Budd's kids etc allowed other operations to be set in motion which presumably hinted at her having such authority and influence within the cell or grouping to have possibly decided her own future too.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

On the basis that Nadia was in with Mrs Brittas (his boss) and the Underworld Bod from the start and that Mrs B bought\knew of Budd's seat from it being bought early, as far cheaper etc then Nadia could be easily positioned in is eye line etc.

Nadia explained that she said it was Longcross as Budd was so insistent that it was him. This was at the end when he realised something about only 1 other person knowing about his kids, when Mrs B denied the school attack, and Nadia was interviewed.

In theory Longcross was a goodie as he provided Keeley Hawes (Home Sec) with the info to bribe the PM to get the move in power away from the Police to the Secret Services, and may well have been on to the "easy victim" that Mrs B had picked out Budd to be. As above, I struggled with how long it took to link him to his mate with the scar\burnface who was the Sniper while watching and come the reveal whether Mrs B would have been able to stop it; let alone away from Gina Mghee's eyes.

As above re BW's farcical opening episode, well it was because that set up of a mentally fragile PTSD bod and had to start somewhere, and Mrs B got him on "personal" with Home Sec, and may have had a idea that they would shag.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Yes Nadia affirmed it was Longcross following Budd's prompting in the penultimate episode, but at that point it still made little sense that that was in fact the case, and we finally had the explanation from Nadia that it actually wasn't and was using Budd.

The fact that it was so unlikely to have been true hinted that Nadia wasn't as meek, mild and imposed upon as they thought. It had me thinking she maybe far more culpable before the final episode.

waynebo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Midfield Master Picker TW3 winner 2016

Post by waynebo »

Started The Deuce last week and finished season 1 wow amazing loved every min of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

liquidfootball2 wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 23:12 The fact that it was so unlikely to have been true hinted that Nadia wasn't as meek, mild and imposed upon as they thought. It had me thinking she maybe far more culpable before the final episode.
Well done on that one, maybe I should have been more cynical on what was the point of Episode 1, but it was almost all there, with BW's post above about it being ridiculous, or similar, as it would be without Mrs Brittas (what was her name as Budd's Line Manager?) and planting Nadia on his train....

I'm still wondering what happened to the man\men she (not literally) fingered, but I guess he\they disappered in the Police vacuum?

Also Gina McKee wouldn't have let this stuff go, although she was the obvious red herring? She would be a great Bond\Hollywood Baddie?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

waynebo wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 19:55 Started The Deuce last week and finished season 1 wow amazing loved every min of it

I started that and got about 4 episodes in.
Have never gone back to it (although I did like what I had watched (without being blown away)).

waynebo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Midfield Master Picker TW3 winner 2016

Post by waynebo »

Stick with it mate :)

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

What a finale to S4 of Better call Saul (9.7 on imdb) it really is a superb prequel to BB but also stands on its own two feet - just brilliantly written. You just get taken on such a character journey and everything is beautifully set up for a reason.

So what next. I noticed The Man in the High Castle S3 has started. Looking at the trailer it seems to have gone a bit westworld so it will be interesting to see if this continues to hold my interest.

Also finished Succession. I did quite enjoy it despite it being a bit “American” for my taste and certainly for Mrs HH who gave up after a couple of episodes not particularly enjoying all the “sex references/metaphors” which were more prevalent early on. I did enjoy the finale though maybe a bit far fetched, I mean am I really to believe that drugs is not going to be readily available at that wedding party. And I did get into the characters as the series developed. Certainly quite watchable albeit not earth shattering for me.

Finally catching up on Strangers the ITV drama. Watched 2 so far.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Getting towards the end of series 1 of Vikings, pretty good and sense it’s just warming up really. Tempted to watch the last couple of episodes instead of the rest of this shitty England match (in TV series speak, was the previous series, i.e. the World Cup, all a dream of one of the main characters?)

Episode 1 though, boy forced to watch a beheading by his father... seen that somewhere before in an opening episode I think, expected him to be pushed out of a window by the end of it :wink:

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

Ha ha
New series of Vikings starts in November I believe crack on FF! Seriously though it really cracks on didn’t think it would be my cuppa but it’s very good, you really get into the characters.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

happyhoppy wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 20:44 Ha ha
New series of Vikings starts in November I believe crack on FF! Seriously though it really cracks on didn’t think it would be my cuppa but it’s very good, you really get into the characters.
Yeah, seen it on a few “if you like GoT you’ll like...” lists, so been on my watch list for a while.

Hard to tell which characters are in it for the long haul and which will be gone within a couple of battles at this stage... I like the manic Floki though, hope he lasts for a while!

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Don’t want to give anything away but there are some very strong characters that stay a wee while. When the invasions start it really steps up. But yeah it’s very like GOT with the in fighting and the competing families.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yep, I’ve loved BCS too (I’m sure I’ve mentioned it), but I much prefer it to BB. I think because the characters are so much more likeable.

I started Gomorrah the other week. Watched four episodes back to back and haven’t had an opportunity to revisit. So far so good. A lazy comparison, but it’s an Italian version of Sopranos (so far).

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Zimmerman wrote:Yep, I’ve loved BCS too (I’m sure I’ve mentioned it), but I much prefer it to BB. I think because the characters are so much more likeable.

I started Gomorrah the other week. Watched four episodes back to back and haven’t had an opportunity to revisit. So far so good. A lazy comparison, but it’s an Italian version of Sopranos (so far).
I’ve added Gomorrah to my watch list. Looks promising. One or two on here have mentioned it. Image

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

happyhoppy wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 19:57 Finally catching up on Strangers the ITV drama. Watched 2 so far.
Watched 3 or 4 so far. OK but not that great. Ruined slightly by John Simm's character being a bit of a (badly scripted) prat. A bit of a wimp but contradictorily does foolhardy risky things. Also sometimes intelligent but didn't have the sense to copy the voicemail message etc [not sure if that is a spoiler to Ep2 but not much of one anyways] so hard to suspend disbelief....

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Agree Murf

After the opening episode it’s gone downhill pretty fast. Watchable rather than must watch. Itv dramas light years behind bbc.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, mainly watching it because I’m visiting Hong Kong soon... probably wouldn’t have stuck with it otherwise, but reasonably watchable. Not sure it needed 8 episodes either, Bodyguard was wrapped up in six parts. Only the multi-season epics justify longer series really.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

8 episodes hadn’t realised that

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 11:43
happyhoppy wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 19:57 Finally catching up on Strangers the ITV drama. Watched 2 so far.
Watched 3 or 4 so far. OK but not that great. Ruined slightly by John Simm's character being a bit of a (badly scripted) prat. A bit of a wimp but contradictorily does foolhardy risky things. Also sometimes intelligent but didn't have the sense to copy the voicemail message etc [not sure if that is a spoiler to Ep2 but not much of one anyways] so hard to suspend disbelief....
He seems to have had a few of them on ITV?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:
Don't think I got to the of episode 1 of the recent doctor one.

Great actor being wasted.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Recent dr? If we are starting the Dr Who debate (has the next one started?) then him or Missy were hardly rocket science? there is no logic re why either couldn't have been as it is beyond convoluted?

He was in a politician ITV drama which was drab, banal etc and dare I type "very ITV"?

Kinda keeping the Dr Who theme is there another series of the A Word? (My worst Dr, but very good in an excellent few series)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

happyhoppy wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 14:25 8 episodes hadn’t realised that Image
I suppose given the breaks, an 8-part ITV series is probably equivalent to a 6-parter on BBC, where you get a full hour of content.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Anyone watching The Cry. Me and the Mrs really enjoying this bbc series. Yep bbc wins again.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It seemed more than a lil weepy...

Dept Q is quite good (BBC2 or 4 but on i-player)

As I typed on the Film thread: Man on the Moon is on i-player and is sublimely brilliant once\if you get his point about doing as little as possible for laffs etc, which gets mentioned early on but only once and briefly in the scene with the Beatle Indian svengali type bod.

Being honest, and while being of the Taxi age but on this side of the Atlantic I was totally ignorant about him, until I kinda did a Stand Up course and incidentally read him. Lenny Bruce, early Peter Cook and Chris Rock are far more my thin, but knowing he was always on a minimalist kinda kick took him to a different plane as per his "nappy" performance on Letterman (not int the film :( and the perfume line, which is, of the alter ego is so true?

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

murf wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 20:41
blahblah wrote:
Don't think I got to the of episode 1 of the recent doctor one.

Great actor being wasted.
blahblah wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 20:48 Recent dr?

The doctor one was called Trauma (had to Google it) and was similar to Strangers in that after the first episode there was just enough to make you watch the second one but by the end you felt obliged to keep watching until the final episode. I feel John Simm might be a good actor but I tend to feel irritated by him. Not a patch on Bodyguard.

Didn't warm to Killing Eve (gave it 20 minutes!) and never watched The Cry. I am however looking forward to Dark Heart though (from the makers of Unforgotten)
https://www.itv.com/presscentre/content/dark-heart

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Now we are enjoying Killing Eve. Think we are 4 episodes in. All a tad implausible but enjoyably so and manages to balance the fun and suspense quite well.

Also watching Black Earth Rising. All a bit complicated and not overly enjoyable. Another to file under "I've started so I'll finish".

Trust is dragging on. Bordering on giving up but I've watched 7 so may as well do the last 3 but after the above as priority.

I'm also (finally) catching up on the final series of Peaky Blinders (about half way through). A bit of a return to its roots and better for it.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Killing Eve was a lot easier to semi binge watch on i-player as the first few were a tad slow. I think they were to get us to like Eve, when it was always more about the assassin for me (I know.....) Has it finished on tv yet?

Black Earth Rising is on the to watch list, but I doubt that 1 a week won't work for me.

I blitzed Trust one night, and ended up watching most on Ffwd, or whatever it is called nowadays: either I or it, or both got lost\bogged down in the kidnap.... :roll:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 11:29 Killing Eve was a lot easier to semi binge watch on i-player as the first few were a tad slow. I think they were to get us to like Eve, when it was always more about the assassin for me (I know.....) Has it finished on tv yet?

Black Earth Rising is on the to watch list, but I doubt that 1 a week won't work for me.

I blitzed Trust one night, and ended up watching most on Ffwd, or whatever it is called nowadays: either I or it, or both got lost\bogged down in the kidnap.... :roll:
Not sure where Killing Eve is up to on TV (5 or so?) but I know we can binge it on iPlayer. It is good in that they get you to like both sides rather than just nice goodie versus bad baddie - mind you the masses may not like the assassin as much after the bit I just saw (no spoilers!). Usually tape a whole series off TV rather than iPlayer (old school but also no self destruct date!) then binge when we know it is all there (got No Offence lined up but will finish the others first - some I end up watching on my one and some with Mrs m. Some I leave her to finish on her own)

PS Vanity Fair was better than feared and the one-off This Country was as good as the first 2 series.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Me and Mrs HH loved Killing Eve (as previosuly mentioned) the Assasin was hilarious, she played it brilliantly.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”