To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by theo29 »

Now we know the teams and their fixtures here is the new thread ready for your comments. Just 43 days to the first action.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Re: THE CHAMPIONSHIP 2018-19

Post by morganb »

Can't believe you didn't mention Frank Lampard in the initial post!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Some big spending at the opposite end of the Brian Clough Way to Fat Frank... will we be the next Wolves? Or just the next ones in administration in League One?

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

I just thought I would make the opening post a low key event. There will be plenty of traffic along BC Way (A52) throughout the season and there are 24 clubs involved, 3 of whom will be hopeful of returning to the elysian fields of the Prem in short order. Will it happen ? As the holder of a FREE (OVER 85) plus blanket and wind cheater jaxcket courtesy of Mr Morris SEASON TICKET my fingers are crossed for Frank ! 11th August is v Leeds, the Clough bete noire of former days may set the scene. What do you think Jimmy C ?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

theo29 wrote: I just thought I would make the opening post a low key event. There will be plenty of traffic along BC Way (A52) throughout the season and there are 24 clubs involved, 3 of whom will be hopeful of returning to the elysian fields of the Prem in short order. Will it happen ? As the holder of a FREE (OVER 85) plus blanket and wind cheater jaxcket courtesy of Mr Morris SEASON TICKET my fingers are crossed for Frank ! 11th August is v Leeds, the Clough bete noire of former days may set the scene. What do you think Jimmy C ?
I'm looking forward to this season, yet again :roll:
We all want to see the Grand clubs in the mixer come the end of the season. Unfortunately there are too many Grand clubs in the B division.
As far as Leeds go, they have been so tight in spending for the last decade. They have been sitting back and watching other clubs taking risks.

Just looked at my heart wants from last season. Wolves, Cardiff and Sunderland to get relegated. :lol: Well, one out of three is not bad.
I know one thing for certain. I like to see those clubs who arrive from the Premiership with spondoollies, to suffer and have a crap season.

Leeds have made a great move for the Championship in journalistic terms. The world football journalists will be following it this year. Hopefully, they will start to realise some Second divisions are more entertaining than other Firsts.

As far as Bielsabub goes, it should be an intriguing experiment. A warning to those Argentinians who might take a passive interest in Leeds this coming season. Have you been watching Argentina in the World Cup? Get use to it. :D

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

with just over a week to go I thought there might be some FISO comment on the prospects for the GRAND clubs as JC calls them. The Tff CHAMPIONSHIP game has yet to appear for us to back our favourite ( and probably unknown players) Not too many of the earthy type names of yesteryear, or are there ? I see that Fearless Frank registered a win against Southampton last week. Sign of things to come ?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Nearly ready for the season. These are the things I'll be looking out for.

The Anglian Cup.
This is the lowest expectation of both clubs for a long time. Ipswich down for relegation and Norwich mid table. I'm a bit more optimistic for both clubs than the bookies.

The North of Yorkshire Residents Club Challenge.
Leeds and Boro have been offering jobs where you don't have to move house, kids can stay at the same school and she can still go to Harvey Nicholls.
Orta knows the small print in the players contracts.
Neither have a monk on now. This is going to be a battle.
Play-off periphery

Midland Easter Cup.
Always one of my favourites. Usually the new 'seasonal' manager derby.
I think Forest will be harnessing their timber this time.
Derby's chainsaw is sharp.
I expect the two to be there at the end.

Premier Reject Cup.
WBA, Stoke and Swansea, battle it out to not be the one that goes in to freefall, as all the other club fans who have experienced this, whistle nonchalantly, as you fly by. I can't see it this year but it's fun if it happens.

The Mini- North West Cup
Blackburn, Bolton, Preston and Wigan will be at each others throats. The New Order is in town.
Bolton got a bloody nose last season but managed to get up and beat the count. Preston know the upstart teams have arrived on the scene.
This one is wide open apart from a Bolted on loser.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

the season gets started with a narrow(undeserved) win for FL's Rams at Reading. Anyone ever heard of the drink sported on the Royal's shirts , Cariboa or somesuch ? The ref sported a trendy haircut and was soon exercising yellow. Once again mass protesting of innocence with arms outstretched. 30 fouls in all and almost a couple of reds near the end. Still it was not a bad opening, if you had a glass of wine to hand. My local Sky pub, a Forest outpost were willing a Reading win and collectively groaned when Mannone spilt one of the very few shots he had to deal with after a first half with little to do.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

theo29 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 12:58 the season gets started with a narrow(undeserved) win for FL's Rams at Reading. Anyone ever heard of the drink sported on the Royal's shirts , Cariboa or somesuch ? The ref sported a trendy haircut and was soon exercising yellow. Once again mass protesting of innocence with arms outstretched. 30 fouls in all and almost a couple of reds near the end. Still it was not a bad opening, if you had a glass of wine to hand. My local Sky pub, a Forest outpost were willing a Reading win and collectively groaned when Mannone spilt one of the very few shots he had to deal with after a first half with little to do.
At least you were not there, in Y26, just saying that a draw was a fair result after the 4 minutes of added time were up when suddenly the ball was in the back of the Reading net. Reading were so much better than last season and Derby were nothing special.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

morganb wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 15:26
theo29 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 12:58 the season gets started with a narrow(undeserved) win for FL's Rams at Reading. Anyone ever heard of the drink sported on the Royal's shirts , Cariboa or somesuch ? The ref sported a trendy haircut and was soon exercising yellow. Once again mass protesting of innocence with arms outstretched. 30 fouls in all and almost a couple of reds near the end. Still it was not a bad opening, if you had a glass of wine to hand. My local Sky pub, a Forest outpost were willing a Reading win and collectively groaned when Mannone spilt one of the very few shots he had to deal with after a first half with little to do.
At least you were not there, in Y26, just saying that a draw was a fair result after the 4 minutes of added time were up when suddenly the ball was in the back of the Reading net. Reading were so much better than last season and Derby were nothing special.
Yep, same here :roll:

But really heartened by an excellent performance, if it wasn't for a mistake by Mannone and a really execllent last minute winner by Lawrence, the result could have been very different.

And re the fouls - it seemed a travesty that at half time Reading had two yellows and Derby had one, after they had started the match kicking everything that moved in a attempt to stifle our flow. Yeah, I know, I'm biased... :oops:

Oh, and the drink on Reading's shirts? Better get to know the name - they are also sponsoring the league cup :lol:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I was surprised last season, when Phillips of Leeds scored a brace early on. Batty, sprung straight to mind.
Today's match against Stoke should reveal a way in to Bielsa's thinking. In the pre-season, he has taken Phillips and stuck him in a defensive unit. Is he going for a system with out undue reliance on Centre Backs? This gives me a wild panic kind of feeling.
I just see football from a romantic view, rather than tactical analysis (Too much hard work). The dream is always there but the making of it lies in reality.
I would love for Bielsa to deliver. I would love it if Bielsa brings about a different way of seeing things. The least I expect are some Catonasque sayings over the coming months.
Which ever way it goes, it should be an entertaining season, for me at least.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

I am surprised that is no instant joy from jc after Leeds get the romantic like dream off and running by beating the Potters on Sunday. Perhaps it will get even better after next Saturday's visit to Pride Park. Shades of Revie and Cloughie from the 70's. I remember it well. Anyone else or is it before your time ?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

theo29 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 10:36 I am surprised that is no instant joy from jc after Leeds get the romantic like dream off and running by beating the Potters on Sunday. Perhaps it will get even better after next Saturday's visit to Pride Park. Shades of Revie and Cloughie from the 70's. I remember it well. Anyone else or is it before your time ?
Lets hope it's of Franny and Norman proportions or at least an old mud flinging contest.
Derby are evens and Leeds are 3/1.
Derby 8 days rest, Leeds 6.
The media Lovie Lampard against Bielsabub.
The Apprentice against a Master of new ideas.
It has Vydra scoring, written all over it.
What will irk Bielsa is Lampard has no tactical history. This will be bugging him.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Good start for Leeds. Pretty close in most of the other games. Doesn't look good for Rotherham and a bad start for Big Dave against Bolton.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

A bit of proof again of how hard it is to hit the ground running as a relegated team. It seems fewer and fewer come straight back, particularly those who had been in the top flight for a good number of years.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Yep, times are a changing. How many of the last 6 promoted as expected back?

Cardiff as surely as Colin is an anagram of their manager? Has he ever kept a Club up?

The Toon should be ok unless Rafa walks. I have a peculiar notion of him taking over at Old Trafford, and the fans not actually protesting :shock:

Hudd and BHA have good chances of they keep as tight at the back and score a few more.

Ful and Wol are certainly splashing the cash on footballing footballers, which is good. Both should stay up but they could get a few thumpings as they seem a tad naive atb.

Burnley back down if they hit the EL Groups, then the 3rd from Bou, Sot and Lei as a long shot.

The 3 relegated this season could well need the Play Off to go up?

Swansea are on a bit of a rebuild with that bod who went to the Arctic, so he will need time anyway.

Wba are still in Pyllis recovery mode, and possibly don't even have the players. Is Phillips still there?

I heard Rowett on the Radio and realised why I like Sarri. He seems a to be happy, he smiles and says things like "enjoy".

So the unclaimed once mighty Ipswich have a chance 8-) :lol: :?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Rafa to Man Utd, that’s an interesting one... not sure they would ever accept a former Liverpool manager (though didn’t Busby play for the Scousers? A long time ago, I know...) He’s only slightly more adventurous in playing style than Mourinho and Van Gaal anyway.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Best hidden here though :lol: I think there was a link, maybe I'll do that boring Google type thing later.

They could be desperate in a month, or so and will they have the players to be attacking come September?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Vydra has gone to Burnley, as the transfer curtain is starting to come over the next couple of days.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Looking at the Championship odds, Stoke, Leeds and Forest are the most popular bets. I can't understand why Leeds are favourites after just two games.
Bristol City are attracting a few bets with odds around the 40 mark. The Derby proportion of bets have reduced significantly. Nearly one in five bets are on Forest. Looks like the punters are giving away their expectations of Franks Derby.

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

jimmy ching wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 11:17 Looking at the Championship odds, Stoke, Leeds and Forest are the most popular bets. I can't understand why Leeds are favourites after just two games.
Bristol City are attracting a few bets with odds around the 40 mark. The Derby proportion of bets have reduced significantly. Nearly one in five bets are on Forest. Looks like the punters are giving away their expectations of Franks Derby.
Big club and a Bielsa combo.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I want to see the Swans win tonight and Bielsa to become the first ever Leeds manager to win their first four competitive matches.
That will set up a humdinger of a match on Tuesday in Swansea.

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

jimmy ching wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 10:07 I want to see the Swans win tonight and Bielsa to become the first ever Leeds manager to win their first four competitive matches.
That will set up a humdinger of a match on Tuesday in Swansea.
Absolutely. Squad is very young now but pulling together under Graham Potter. Needs to be allowed to strengthen the squad with loans this month but a very solid start to the season.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Leeds play Rotherham on Saturday and everybody is expecting a hiding. I don't see it that way. Yes, they got thumped on the first day, yet pipped Ipswich last weekend and won through in the Cup. Rotherham have always been a thorn in the side for Leeds.
My first memories of them was when they were leading 2-1 against Bremners Leeds, the White's got it together and eventually won 3-2. It was a close shave and since then, I've never liked this fixture. Rotherham always seem to throw the form book out of the window when they come to face Leeds.
Rotherham have had a total of 11 matches since 2004, Rotherham 17 points Leeds 14.

theo29
Grumpy Old Man

Post by theo29 »

having seen Leeds demolish the Rams last Saturday I think JC is worrying unduly. FL did not take his hands out of his pockets for the entire game. He hardly moved a muscle either. The Caraboa win at Oldham may have encouraged him a little, with Carson in good form. Down to The Den tomorrow. I fancy a score draw.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

15 shots to 2.

I know whats coming here :(

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

2 points dropped - IMO - on the basis of the first half performance alone but at least we didn't lose.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Well that match tonight was early season rustiness. Finding feet and settling in. Both teams were calm but I reckon Swansea will be happier.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

The Bielsa Effect. The Leeds game at home to Rotherham, has sold out. :shock:

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Surely, it’s the Chuckle Brothers effect.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”