To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

DMA'S. Anyone heard of them?

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won DT WC 2018
Won DT weekender wk 2 18/19
Won TFE 18/19

DMA'S. Anyone heard of them?

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

Discovered this band literally about 4 days ago. and I friggin love them! Was trawling through twatter looking for the latest The Stone Roses info and there was a link saying "check this band out. they sound like at cross between the stone roses and oasis" heard that a million times before and nearly always been disappointed but thought sod it I'll give them a go. listened to a song called "delete" and instantly loved it! sort of like a wonderwall anthem for today. anthemic song that builds up to a great outro. just hit me right away and I very rarely feel like that with new music. the song will be massive once/if mainstream radio and social media gets hold of it.

thought maybe they might've struck lucky with one song so then played more songs to see if they could back it up. pleasantly surprised as I discovered 2 more songs that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE! "too soon" has a verse worthy of the roses and a chorus of early oasis quality. "laced" is pure stone roses and is arguably the best song ive heard in years!!!!! have since heard other songs by them and really like them all (though delete, too soon, laced seem to be their best). the plan is equally great and was surprised to learn it wasn't even on the LP (which was only released on Friday)

don't be put off by there look (they look like chavs) and was surprised to learn they are actually Australian or new zealanders.

been raving about them to my mates who in general haven't heard of them. most never heard them, one said he did and said they were all over the radio, one listened to them and absolutely loved them, one you tubed them and wasn't that impressed but ive seen enough that they could be my new favorite band. "blossoms" seemed promising too.

anyway here is "too soon" https:youtu.be//8GjEbrUHOl4 oh sod it I cant seem to get the vid up. just put DMA'S too soon in you tube and then check out laced and delete if you like it :)

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Re: DMA'S. Anyone heard of them?

Post by scarletjim »

They performed 'delete' live on Soccer AM on Saturday. Me and the GF rewound it to listen again, it was that good. Late Saturday night after a few glasses of wine, before bed, we Youtubed it and listened a couple more times. I intend to investigate them properly when I next have a few free hours.

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

scarletjim wrote:They performed 'delete' live on Soccer AM on Saturday. Me and the GF rewound it to listen again, it was that good. Late Saturday night after a few glasses of wine, before bed, we Youtubed it and listened a couple more times. I intend to investigate them properly when I next have a few free hours.
yeah "delete" does have that rare quality of instantly knowing it's an anthem and is easy to fall in love with. finally got the LP today and really like it. some really strong songs and am struggling to find any song I don't like so far. definitely going to play it to death next few weeks. :) i'll leave a proper review once I'm familiar with all the songs but my early impression is its gonna be a favourite LP of mine

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

went to see the DMA's live a while back and they were epic! really tight band and the singer has a great voice. top lads too as they went to the venue of the gig after for some beers so got to talk to them. they were sound and had time for everyone. still listen to the LP pretty much daily and they are definitely my favourite young band in the world! done some cd's for my mates at work who like the roses, oasis etc and they too really like the band so check them out if you have time

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

Noel Gallagher has voiced his approval of the band. LG has been singing their praises in the last month and has got them supporting him on upcoming tour :)

Their new song "For now" is a belter! https://youtu.be/L23k1XtaJv4

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Probably enough to make me swerve them 😂

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Actually sounds like an Oasis tune. If someone had told me it was off Standing in the shoulders or Familiar to
Millions, I wouldn’t have argued.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Zimmerman wrote: ↑12 May 2018, 07:41 Actually sounds like an Oasis tune. If someone had told me it was off Standing in the shoulders or Familiar to
Sounds a bit like "Up in the Sky" but I like it.

However, I'm over 40, so I probably would.

Not rappy, grimy, poppy or x-factory enough to dent the singles charts IMO.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: ↑12 May 2018, 10:58
Zimmerman wrote: ↑12 May 2018, 07:41 Actually sounds like an Oasis tune. If someone had told me it was off Standing in the shoulders or Familiar to
Sounds a bit like "Up in the Sky" but I like it.

However, I'm over 40, so I probably would.

Not rappy, grimy, poppy or x-factory enough to dent the singles charts IMO.
Does anything of the rock/indie genre make the singles charts these days?

There’s the occasional new track that makes the Radio X playlist and isn’t by an act that has been around for 15-20 years already - but no idea whether any of them dent the “pop” charts, or whether it’s just an entire top 10 of generic urban pop with the same “featured” vocalists.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

They're 13th in the indie album chart but Kylie Minogue is 2nd so they've forgotten what indie means. If they've sung some non romantic songs I may be interested. A feat not achieved by the first two tracks I listened to.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Indie refers to artists from an independent record company.

Always has.

Got ambushed by the press to describe guitar based bands in the nineties and it kind of stuck. Quite a lot of the so called 'Indie bands' are with major record labels.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Maldini wrote: ↑12 May 2018, 14:18 Indie means artists from an independent record company.

Always has.

Got ambushed by the press to describe guitar based bands in the nineties and it kind of stuck.
Indeed. Stock Aitken and Waterman dominated the indie charts when they were big.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Yes thanks that makes sense with indie having the obvious independent meaning that I guess I kind of knew. There's an alternative music chart it seems calculated via Spotify. The indie singles chart has a number of 5+ year old singles yet it says it collects data from retailers so I guess it's accurate.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

I was thinking the other day is there any decent music about how days. Can’t keep listening to oasis, stone roses cast, dodgy and all the 90s stuff. I’ll give the DMA’s a try.

My mate reckons back foxxes are good plus the xcerts. Not listened to them myself yet. I didn’t mind a few of the royal blood tracks

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

mad dog wrote: ↑13 May 2018, 11:21 I was thinking the other day is there any decent music about how days. Can’t keep listening to oasis, stone roses cast, dodgy and all the 90s stuff. I’ll give the DMA’s a try.

My mate reckons back foxxes are good plus the xcerts. Not listened to them myself yet. I didn’t mind a few of the royal blood tracks
It is there but you have to dig deeper for it. Even though this is about three years old, get yourself a compilation like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Radioactive- ... I3T0KGE

Some really good stuff on here. Hardly any of it made a ripple in the charts but you may recognise the odd song used in background music on TV.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Absolutely shed loads of decent music about. A good start would be to tune the car radio to 6 Music.

Also get out to a local venue and watch bands.

I'm lucky, I live 15 mins drive away from one of the best small venues in the country , The Brudenell. Isn't a week goes by that there isn't a artist on I'd like to see.
Don't get there as much as I used to but my brother and I still try and get there a couple of times a month.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

hancockjr wrote: ↑12 May 2018, 16:49
Maldini wrote: ↑12 May 2018, 14:18 Indie means artists from an independent record company.

Always has.

Got ambushed by the press to describe guitar based bands in the nineties and it kind of stuck.
Indeed. Stock Aitken and Waterman dominated the indie charts when they were big.
The original meaning was superseded about 25 years ago, and only lives on through “indie” charts (which I didn’t know they still produced). Never been a great fan of the term in its common meaning but one of those where sometimes there’s nothing else that really fits.

I suppose most musical genre terms have changed from their original meaning. “Pop” used to mean anything “popular”, i.e. not classical, but came to specifically mean lightweight, often cheesy chart music. “Rock” I guess evolved from the original “rock and roll” whereas modern day “R&B” bears little relation to the original “rhythm and blues”.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Maldini wrote: ↑13 May 2018, 11:33 Absolutely shed loads of decent music about. A good start would be to tune the car radio to 6 Music.
Yep, I’d concur. 6Music will take care of all your music needs.

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

bloggie wrote: ↑12 May 2018, 13:45 They're 13th in the indie album chart but Kylie Minogue is 2nd so they've forgotten what indie means. If they've sung some non romantic songs I may be interested. A feat not achieved by the first two tracks I listened to.
You may have listened to new song “in the air” which isnt great tbh. Just sort of passes you by. Ordered the new LP off amazon but still not got it yet🙄 (along with new bloosoms n arctics). Have heard approx 18 of DMA’s 25ish songs to date and love 13 or 14 of them.

Too soon (roses verses, early oasis chorus), Lay down (early oasis sounding), play it out (on fifa 17 soundtrack), Timeless, For now are the more upbeat songs you may like. Though some of their slower stuff is sublime too especially step up the morphine and so we know.

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

Zimmerman wrote: ↑13 May 2018, 18:23
Maldini wrote: ↑13 May 2018, 11:33 Absolutely shed loads of decent music about. A good start would be to tune the car radio to 6 Music.
Yep, I’d concur. 6Music will take care of all your music needs.
My brother in law also raves about 6Music though ive not heard it yet. Tend to have talksport, radio x or absolute on. Evening session with lamacq n whiley was great for new music years back

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

mad dog wrote: ↑13 May 2018, 11:21 I was thinking the other day is there any decent music about how days. Can’t keep listening to oasis, stone roses cast, dodgy and all the 90s stuff. I’ll give the DMA’s a try.

The debut LP “Hills End” is a good place to start Dan👍

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

6Music is the only station still broadcasting in my house bar the pop up ones for football commentary.

Helps if you are of a certain age for some of the classics played but the new music is mostly great or at least listenable. Rarely has you reaching for the off switch (except Giles Peterson and his modern jazz rubbish (IMO)).

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

DMA’s new song “for now” used by BBC for World Cup. Just announced they are supporting Kasabian in Belfast

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

I hope the poor sods don't have to listen to Kasabian in Belfast.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”