To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Beerfuelled Movie Appreciation Thread

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Beerfuelled Movie Appreciation Thread

Post by murf »

I saw 'The Dressmaker' the other day (I'm not as current as you lot).

The premise sounds awful (period drama where Kate Winslet goes back to a small Oz outback town to get revenge / find out the truth about an incident at school for which they sent her away. Oh, and to make dresses) but it was very funny and compelling with good supporting characters, especially her dotty Mum. Very Fargo-esque in lots of ways. A full on 9/10 from me. :D

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Saw Three Billboards last night. A grim and tragic story with lots of big themes running through it, but very funny in places (the mix of violence and humour similar to In Bruges, also written/directed by Martin McDonagh). It started well and just got better and better, when the sub-plot (no spoilers) became just as interesting as the main one. I wanted to applaud at the end - 5 stars.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

murf wrote:I saw 'The Dressmaker' the other day (I'm not as current as you lot).

The premise sounds awful (period drama where Kate Winslet goes back to a small Oz outback town to get revenge / find out the truth about an incident at school for which they sent her away. Oh, and to make dresses) but it was very funny and compelling with good supporting characters, especially her dotty Mum. Very Fargo-esque in lots of ways. A full on 9/10 from me. :D
The premise and film were both awful Image

Just watched it with the mrs on your recommendation, and found it unfunny and really tedious .

3/10 (2/10 from the mrs)

Ps I love Fargo

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

happyhoppy wrote:Image
Ahh well, we can’t all like the same stuff.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Darbyand wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 11:13
Zimmerman wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 10:39 Shape of Water seems to be getting loads of praise from critics (dominating award nominations too).... the premise puts me off.

I’m not good with sci-fi.... is it better/more than a love story with an alien?
I hate almost all sci-fi and fantasy* and despite the premise, it never occurred to me to think of it in those genres. I'll let Kermode do the comparisons work for me:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/f ... ly-hawkins

*(with the possible exception of well-done time travel stories)
Might try The Shape of Water tomorrow. 12 hour flight, landing early evening so need to watch 2 or 3 films so I don't end up sleeping too much and not being tired for when I go to bed when I get to the hotel :D

'300' is on the list as well. Might give that a go, although Bladerunner 2049 is also on...

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

jacksosi wrote:
happyhoppy wrote:Image
Ahh well, we can’t all like the same stuff.
Exactly I always find it fascinating, if we all liked the same stuff it would be a duller place.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

unc.si. wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 21:04
Might try The Shape of Water tomorrow. 12 hour flight, landing early evening so need to watch 2 or 3 films so I don't end up sleeping too much and not being tired for when I go to bed when I get to the hotel :D
'300' is on the list as well. Might give that a go, although Bladerunner 2049 is also on...

Since Blade Runner 2049 is nearly three hours long, it would be a good choice!

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

Annihilation 6/10 (Netflix) - It was alright, had hoped for more after seeing a review

Thor Ragnarok 9/10 - love a bit of Avengers , and this added a lot of laughs. A bit like Avengers crossed with a cop buddy movie and 5th Element. In places it was camp enough to remind me of Flash Gordon. Also a character in there that made me want to rewatch Flight of the Conchords

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Zimmerman wrote: 09 Sep 2016, 17:10 Caught up on Brooklyn last night.

A decent, if not spectacular film. Well crafted and just a 'nice' film.

8/10

Have had a soft spot for Saoirse Ronan ever since we unwittingly met her a couple of years ago and being totally bowled over by how 'normal' and nice she was.
This is on TV tonight for anyone who hasn’t seen it.
It’s better than heartbeat.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Saw a great film last night - Game Night, starring Jason Bateman (he of Ozark), Rachel McAdams, Sharon Horgan etc. It's a comedy about three couples who meet up regularly to play games, until they realise the game they are caught up in is real. I don't usually laugh out loud in the cinema, but this had me laughing all the way through - as it did most of the audience. OK, the plot was wildly contrived, but there were some neat twists and it was all part of the fun. A real feel-good movie; I couldn't fault it, so 10/10.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Billy Whiz wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 22:24 Since Blade Runner 2049 is nearly three hours long, it would be a good choice!
Is this any good?

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

blahblah wrote:
Billy Whiz wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 22:24 Since Blade Runner 2049 is nearly three hours long, it would be a good choice!
Is this any good?
Yes, it is, but it's "proper" sci fi. I loved it but can easily see how people may be bored by it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Moist von Lipwig wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 23:53
blahblah wrote:
Is this any good?
Yes, it is, but it's "proper" sci fi. I loved it but can easily see how people may be bored by it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Proper Sci Fi, like the original? ie plot and characters, rather than random machines, aliens, flashing lights etc

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Billy Whiz wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 22:24
unc.si. wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 21:04

Since Blade Runner 2049 is nearly three hours long, it would be a good choice!
Tried it but was nodding off so switched to something else.

I did however watch it all the way through earlier this week and its a fantastic film. Didn't feel like 3 hours long. Risky business trying to follow up a classic, but they pulled it off.

Also saw Geostorm - shite, but OK as lightweight inflight entertainment fodder.

I did also watch Lady Bird. Didn't have high hopes as its not my typical sort of film, but thought it was fantastic. Coming of age but without all of the cliches that come from being written by adults. Felt almost like it was written by a teenager. Felt very genuine, funny, touching and utterly wonderful, and I really, really didn't think I'd find myself saying that about it before I watched it.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Hardly watched any movies over the last year. Three Billboards only one decent that springs to mind.

Shame Razorback no longer posts as I’d ask him for a top 10.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

So over the next few weeks looking at IMDb top 50 for 2017/2018 I’ve short listed these.

Wind River
The dress maker (fiso I think)
Logan lucky
Star Wars the last Jedi
Blade runner
Darkest hour
Churchill
Shape of water
A quiet place
Coco
Dead pool 2

Bit early atm but looks good later for

Mission impossible fallout
Jurassic world fallen kingdom
Ready player one
Last edited by happyhoppy on 26 May 2018, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

happyhoppy wrote: 26 May 2018, 14:32 Hardly watched any movies over the last year. Three Billboards only one decent that springs to mind.
Waiting for 4k DVD to be available, ditto the recent\last Day Lewis one. I may well double up on Bladerunners if they take a while to hit Amazon.

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

The 2 movies on the hoppy list that I've seen are Churchill and the Last Jedi. Both were panned but I really enjoyed them. Churchill isn't historically accurate but the performance by Brian Cox was fabulous. The Last Jedi is unpopular with Star Wars fans but I loved it too.

Memory - the 3rd film that I saw was Wind River which is great too.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

So 3 down.

Wind River - enjoyed this 8/10

Logan Lucky - had its moments but on the whole a fairly painful watch 6/10

The Dressmaker - Murf recommended, Jacksosi condemned it. I’m in the condemn camp. Comedy is a very hard genre to agree on and this failed gloriously for me not one even slight chuckle. Then there’s the dresses. 4/10 (being generous).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Man on the Moon is simply brilliant, and I loathed Carey - but he rocks this one.

Andy Kaufman was a bit of a Comedians Comedian (he played the Polak kinda bod in Taxi) and his thing was to do as little as possible to get laughs kinda thing, which has a one line in the film.

I don't recommend many English spoken films, lol, but this is very good....

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:Man on the Moon is simply brilliant, and I loathed Carey - but he rocks this one.

Andy Kaufman was a bit of a Comedians Comedian (he played the Polak kinda bod in Taxi) and his thing was to do as little as possible to get laughs kinda thing, which has a one line in the film.

I don't recommend many English spoken films, lol, but this is very good....
I loved that film too. Not bad considering I don't usually like Carrey (loath is too harsh!) and didn't fully 'get' Kaufman.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Bollocks... has this been on television recently?

Absolutely fantastic film. Always had a lot of respect for Carey’s acting skills. This, Truman Show and even Cable Guy show there is actually more depth than all the funny faces and slapstick.

Murf/Blah - check out the documentary/making of on Netflix. Absolutely brilliant if you liked the film.

Jim & Andy: the great beyond

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It was on I Player, so I assume it had been shown too.... Obviously when I settled down to watch it, it was gone, but a few quid to Amazon and :D .

re Carey: I really don't like his slapstick stuff and that gurning or face pulling; but he is good in the serious stuff. I assume that he is free to work again now, after the rather peculiar court case?

re Kaufman: I didn't "get" him until I read that his point was to do as little as possible, and the Film shows this really well - and is a better watch knowing this, imho.

It's a shame this wasn't in the Film, but loads of the Clips\routines from the film are on Youtube

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

jimwinn wrote:
jacksosi wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 21:46 Baby Driver - good fun, like a cheesier but equally violent Drive, 8/10
Very enjoyable and you get to hear Brighton Rock too
9/10
Watched this on my flight and loved it. 9/10

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Caught up with a couple of old films that I've never seen last week.

The Green Mile. Beautifully made but was expecting a real 'Shawshank' classic and was a bit let down really. From what I'd heard I was expecting a masterpiece but really just a big old Hollywood blockbuster without much substance.

Fight Club - wasn't expecting much (and didn't know what it was about tbh, apart from the obvious). Actually wasn't quite sure I'd put the right film on for about the first 20 minutes or so. Definitely exceeded expectations. Thought about 75% of it was excellent - just disappeared up its own arse a bit towards the end with all of the Ché / Blackshirt / Tooting Popular Front stuff. Without all the Nazi crap and a different ending it could have been a classic.

Saw '12 years a slave' as well. Was expecting it to be a brilliant, uncompromising, sobering modern masterpiece. It didn't let me down.

Edit: saw 'Game night' as well. 'They' say its supposed to be quite good. I believe that 'they' are wrong.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Can’t believe you’ve not watched these, I thought I was slow

I loved TGM but then I love all Hanks films pretty much.

Fight Club I didn’t really get tbh just didn’t do much for me -just not my cuppa. I know it’s highly rated.

12 yrs A Slave I really enjoyed.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by jacksosi »

Solo 7/10

An easy watch but won’t leave a lasting impression

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Zimmerman wrote:Darkest Hour well made, good performance from Oldman (useful background for an ignoramous like me.... with the Braveheart caveat to getting your history lessons via Hollywood). Just wasn’t ‘that’ captivating though. 7/10

The Post another ‘well made, good acting’ bore fest. 7/10
Watched Darkest Hour on my return flight and enjoyed it. No idea how factually accurate it is but I’m sure there must be some truths in there somewhere. Image Never knew our king had a lisp. Bit comical when Halifax was speaking with him in the “Battle of the Lisps”. 8/10.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 09:40 Bollocks... has this been on television recently?

Absolutely fantastic film. Always had a lot of respect for Carey’s acting skills. This, Truman Show and even Cable Guy show there is actually more depth than all the funny faces and slapstick.

Murf/Blah - check out the documentary/making of on Netflix. Absolutely brilliant if you liked the film.

Jim & Andy: the great beyond
Back on i-player now.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”