To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Boxing Chat - The Gloves are off

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Boxing Chat - The Gloves are off

Post by Ashers »

Starting this thread as a place to discuss boxing news and results.

Would be good to hear about the following:

➡️ Upcoming Fights and your thoughts
➡️ Fights your have watched and your thoughts
➡️ Boxers to watch out for

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Re: Boxing Chat - The Gloves are off

Post by Ashers »

Who saw the boxing last night?

ITV4

The super series started on ITV4 and my thoughts were that the commentators were terrible and there was a real lack of atmosphere.

Zac Parker was on the undercard and looks like a real talent going forward and one to watch out for.

The main event between Callum Smith and Erik Skoglund was a decent fight. There wasn't much separating the two boxers, but Smith's ability eventually came through for a points win. Smith will now move onto the Semi Finals, but can't see him beating George Groves or Chris Eubank Jnr.

Box Nation / BT Sports

What a difference between this and ITV4. Steve Bunce was his usual self (talking bollocks, but has some good points in between). So Box Nation had Anthony Yarde, Daniel Dubios and Billy Joe Saunders vs Willy Monroe Jr.

Let's start with Daniel Dubios - if you haven't seen him, make sure you watch his next fight. The kid is only 20 and is the closest thing we have seen to Mike Tyson. 5 fights, 5 KOs and last night's fight lasted less than 50 seconds. They are saying his is the hardest punching heavyweight and will be fast tracked through the heavyweight division . Don't be surprised if he is a World Champion within the next two years.

Anthony Yarde - What a beast and he has a record of 13 fights and 12 KOs. The light heavyweight division is his for the taking and another that will be fast tracked to greater things. Last night he fought Nemesapati and took him to town within two rounds. His next step should be the British Title, but he already has a better World ranking than the current holder and will probably by pass this. Another one to keep an eye out for.

And the main event was Billy Joe Saunders vs Willy Monroe Jnr. Saunders had been out of the ring since December and before the fight had let himself fall into really bad condition. A 12 week training camp, saw Saunders in the best shape of his life and a comfortable points win behind the jab was the outcome of this fight. Willy Monroe Jr who showed real heart vs GGG seemed to lack ambition in this fight. This was especially disappointing as he winner was probably going to face GGG or Canelo (that's a different story which I will cover after watching the fight this morning).

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

Golovkin vs Alvarez scorecard shambles.

Result was a draw with scorecard split at:

115-113 - Golovkin
114-114 - Draw
118-110 - Alvarez :shock:

How can the third judge see it that way, must've been half asleep.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

It's scoring like that that ruins the sport.

Boxing is so corrupt it makes FIFA look like paragons of virtue.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Dennisthemenace wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 10:27 Golovkin vs Alvarez scorecard shambles.

Result was a draw with scorecard split at:

115-113 - Golovkin
114-114 - Draw
118-110 - Alvarez :shock:

How can the third judge see it that way, must've been half asleep.
Did you watch the fight?

From what I have read,GGG deserved to win the fight by it was a close fight. Not many can last 12 rounds with GGG power.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

I just watched Canelo vs GGG and marked it as a draw.

Canelo had the best shots of the fight and would have KO must boxers. He hit GGG with the shot that floored Khan and GGG didn't even flinch.

GGG was the busier fighter, but missed a lot of shots and didn't rock Canelo.

I can see how even fighter could have been given the fight by a round, but no way could you give this to Canelo 118-110.

My scorecard was as follows:

First three rounds - Canelo
Rounds four to six - GGG
Rounds seven to twelve - three each

114-114.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

We now have Fury vs Parker to look forward to this weekend. I can't see any way that Parker can beat Fury, but let's see if he is better than I think he is.

Haye vs Bellew 2 has been signed. Looking forward to a two legged Haye KO Bellew and getting revenge.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

What about Rio wanting to get his boxing license

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

mad dog wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 22:36 What about Rio wanting to get his boxing license
No, no no. It must be the Irish in him. :shock:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

jimmy ching wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 22:45
mad dog wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 22:36 What about Rio wanting to get his boxing license
Or just someone struggling to find purpose or an outlet having suffered personal tragedy at around the same time as his football career was coming to an end. Beats turning to drink, drugs or gambling I guess, but not by much. Unlikely to end well. Although I would pay good money to see him put John Terry on the canvas :wink:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

forestfan wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 23:12
jimmy ching wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 22:45
Or just someone struggling to find purpose or an outlet having suffered personal tragedy at around the same time as his football career was coming to an end. Beats turning to drink, drugs or gambling I guess, but not by much. Unlikely to end well. Although I would pay good money to see him put John Terry on the canvas :wink:

Sometimes, when you have money, you get surrounded by yes people. I just hope it's a carefully assessed project with Rio in mind. I hope he has asked people like Gary McAllister for advice in situations like this.

gutshot
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Solid

Post by gutshot »

Six rounds in fury bewildering parker.

gutshot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gutshot »

Astonishing scoring of the fight :roll:

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Fury vs Parker

I knew this fight would be boring to watch, but I’m disappointed in Fury’s approach. Fury could have beat Parker easily but took the wrong approach to the fight. You won’t take a belt from a champion with a weak jab an no follow-up. Fury seemed to try and follow Tyson Fury’s tactics against Vlad, but didn’t throw enough punches or mix it up.

Parker was the more aggressive fighter and although I had this down as a 114-114 draw, the judges gave the tight rounds to the champion.

118-110 was never the correct result, but a champion is always going to be given close rounds. Hughie has missed a great opportunity for a title and Parker isn’t lasting much longer as champion.

Prediction that Parker is KO when he fights Joshua or Whyte.

gutshot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gutshot »

Good post. I scored it 115-113 to fury but agree he was negative and needed to throw more shots and put a lot more on them.

I have watched parkers last 4 or 5 fights and he looks very very beatable. Wouldn't give him a chance with Joshua.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Totally agree, really disappointed with Hughie as I thought he had a bright future. Even Tyson Fury was saying thay he was a better boxer than him, but last night showed that he has little to offer against the elite of the heavyweight division.

He is young by enough to come again, but doesn’t seem to have the power to worry the top heavyweights.

Parker will be found out as soon as he steps up.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

Ashers wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 07:04 Fury vs Parker

I knew this fight would be boring to watch, but I’m disappointed in Fury’s approach. Fury could have beat Parker easily but took the wrong approach to the fight. You won’t take a belt from a champion with a weak jab an no follow-up. Fury seemed to try and follow Tyson Fury’s tactics against Vlad, but didn’t throw enough punches or mix it up.

Parker was the more aggressive fighter and although I had this down as a 114-114 draw, the judges gave the tight rounds to the champion.

118-110 was never the correct result, but a champion is always going to be given close rounds. Hughie has missed a great opportunity for a title and Parker isn’t lasting much longer as champion.

Prediction that Parker is KO when he fights Joshua or Whyte.

I agree. Parker is a nice guy but it just shows the appalling state of boxing at the moment when he's holding a belt. I've followed the sport for many many years and it's in such a sorry state right now. The judges score cards were disgraceful just like the canelo , triple G fight which they have set up for a trilogy ( I belive this will ultimately happen). I actually gave it Parker, as the champion and the one hitting the more meaningful shots made him edge it

I don't see anything from either guys that suggests that will be edging greatness any time soon. End of day if you hadn't followed boxing you wouldn't even know who Parker was. Doesn't say much about him or his exposure

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

Daniel Dubois is 8/1 to win a world title before 2019 Jan 1st. The way the more marketable get fast tracked to a title shot ( i.e Joshua) and the sorry state the division is in. That's not a bad bet

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Eubank looked the real deal last night. Poor George Groves who is going to get KO within 5 rounds if they meet in the next round.

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

I saw the Flyweight world title eliminator on C5 last night and was impressed with the performance of Andrew Selby who beat a tricky Mexican opponent. He has the confidence of Naseem Hamed which probably means he'll get his cocky block knocked off at some stage in his career. But for now, he's a world champ in waiting.

gutshot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gutshot »

Ashers wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 13:40 Eubank looked the real deal last night. Poor George Groves who is going to get KO within 5 rounds if they meet in the next round.
Frighting display, i backed him to win it at 5/2 before the comp started.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

It's moved a step closer, the rematch Wilder vs Fury

https://mobile.twitter.com/WBCBoxing?re ... 5507101697

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Can anyone steer me to a rerun of Joshua - Ruiz for less than Sky’s £24.95 repeat charge? Thanks

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Try YouTube - Will be on there in a few days.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”