Would you draft Sanchez?

FPL Draft format starting in 2017/18
Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Would you draft Sanchez?

Post by Mav3rick »

Assuming that obvious picks like Kane, Lukaku or Jesus have been taken, would you risk an early draft pick on Sanchez?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Re: Would you draft Sanchez?

Post by Finisher1 »

Sanchez is probably my first midfielder pick in draft, but I will take three strikers before him.

Although, I just realised I don't really like his transfer rumours regarding particularly this draft mode!
Last edited by Finisher1 on 29 Jul 2017, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

But draft is all about the drop-off, no? It's not as if you can get Aguero, Lukaku and Kane and then think about Sanchez, and I did stipulate that the big strikers have already gone. So if you're faced with Firmino, Vardy, Defoe or Sanchez, then what do you do?

The risk is really that he leaves the PL and you waste a pick entirely...

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Why Fin, when he scores as well as most top strikers? Two I can understand but you don't miss out on him for Charlie Austin would you?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Mav3rick wrote:But draft is all about the drop-off, no? It's not as if you can get Aguero, Lukaku and Kane and then think about Sanchez, and I did stipulate that the big strikers have already gone. So if you're faced with Firmino, Vardy, Defoe or Sanchez, then what do you do?

The risk is really that he leaves the PL and you waste a pick entirely...
Yes, but I want to make sure I have three at least remotely FPL-relevant strikers. You can stream midfielders to some extent, but you can't stream strikers.

The risk you mention is absolutely true.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

In this scenario you should be not too far from being last pick in the first round, so you should have a reasonable expectation of being able to pick up both a good 2nd tier striker and a premium mid as your first 2 picks.

If I was drafting today I would rather pick Hazard (even with his injury), KDB, Alli or Mane over Sanchez. At least I know that (barring serious injury) these sort of players will give me a good points return over the season for a #1/#2 pick. If I go with Sanchez and he stays then I get a similar points return, but if he's a no-show then I'm down to whatever I can get from a waivers or free-agency replacement. This is too much of a risk for one of my top picks for me.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

Mav3rick wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 20:54 Assuming that obvious picks like Kane, Lukaku or Jesus have been taken, would you risk an early draft pick on Sanchez?
Yes. But probably regret as Wenger tells lies

Droughton
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 11/12 - 292

Post by Droughton »

If its a money league definitely not

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Wrong question.

It would clearly be a dumb risk to draft him in round 1. Equally it would be stupid not to pick a still available Sanchez in round 11. Hence the appropriate question is at what point in the draft would you select Sanchez?

zipnolan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ex FISODAS champ; 2009 TFF 95th, MOTW and TFF cup qtr finalist, TFFO 78th, FPL 346th. And a lot of rubbish.

Post by zipnolan »

What about the others with doubts of various degrees - Costa, Mahrez, Coutinho? Avoid them entirely?

This game is doing my head in.... I don't think the logic is quite as straightforward as Striker suggests. The fact of Sanchez is that somebody will take him in an early round, probably the first, and if he stays he will score a boatload of points. I'm not sure I will have the bottle to swerve him if I'm picking fourth or fifth and he's still there, like a juicy poisonous apple.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Striker wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 12:28 Wrong question.

It would clearly be a dumb risk to draft him in round 1. Equally it would be stupid not to pick a still available Sanchez in round 11. Hence the appropriate question is at what point in the draft would you select Sanchez?

Well the question was 'Would you risk an early draft pick on Sanchez?', which I took to mean in the first 2, maybe 3 rounds, while other premium/good options are available.

In answer to your question of when he becomes a viable pick though, I'd say it would be just after that. Once the drop off between a present and performing Sanchez and the best available pick is about equal to that between the best pick and Johnny Free-Agent, then it's a good choice if you think his chance of staying and performing at past levels is greater than 50%. At the moment all the talk seems to be that he will either stay at Arsenal or move to Man City, which suggests that there's a very good chance of him staying in the PL. But will he be staying at Arsenal in a strop or in an overcrowded rotating City side, either of which would likely reduce his points potential? Also, am I right in thinking that he'd be free to negotiate a contract with another club once there are less than 6 months left on his contract? If so and he gets a deal done and dusted early in the New Year then he might have his flip-flops on for half the season.

All of which is rather a long-winded way of saying I'd take any of the other premium mids over him and make sure I'd got a couple of strikers in first. Only then I would consider Sanchez if he was still available.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Yes, and quite early.

Draft produces a "thick" squad, by which I mean that you should end up with 15 perfectly playable options. I think draft will actually test our ability to rotate players as much as anything else.

Even in a 10-man draft (as my league will be) that's only 150 players so there should always be 50 or so starting players available on waivers or by FT. You are not going to be stuck. For that reason I don't see that having Sanchez can cost you, really. If he stays at Arsenal or moves to City you are fine. If he moves overseas (which I think less likely) you can easily replace him. So there are probably not more than 10 or 12 players that I'd prefer to draft than him.

Matty B
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Matty B »

are people picking 7th or 8th always picking a forward ... assuming kane / lukaku / lacazette / moratta / aguero / jesus are gone then are people picking the next best forwards defoe / rooney / hernandez / benteke over sanchez / hazard / alli on the basis that you can get more decent midfielders and you'll be left with really poor strikers if you wait another round ???

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Are we assuming it's increasingly likely he will stay in Premier League now that PSG bought Neymar?

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Monaco the latest club to be nterested, presumably with anticipated Mbappe cash (though they generated enough out of Bakayoko/Mendy et al)
Would suit Wenger to not sell him to another Prem club.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I must say, my previous hubris has deteriorated, I'm with Striker in that you can't afford to have Sanchez as anything other than 4th/5th mid pick, if he does actually go abroad then you have been shafted compared to what you could well have brought in. It's not a risk worth taking, when it just seems unbelievable that he would stay when a) no UCL, b) Wenger still there, c) the competition is getting better and it doesn't seem like Arsenal are in that super-elite group (City, Chelsea, Spurs/United).

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Tacalabala wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 08:16 I must say, my previous hubris has deteriorated, I'm with Striker in that you can't afford to have Sanchez as anything other than 4th/5th mid pick, if he does actually go abroad then you have been shafted compared to what you could well have brought in. It's not a risk worth taking, when it just seems unbelievable that he would stay when a) no UCL, b) Wenger still there, c) the competition is getting better and it doesn't seem like Arsenal are in that super-elite group (City, Chelsea, Spurs/United).
Is this a double bluff for the drafts today Taca? I must say, I would leave Kane to 5th pick... :lol: :lol:

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Kane? Surprised you're even considering him...........

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Draft”