To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Europe 2017 Strategy

A Fantasy Football forum for news on European fantasy football games run by The Sun newspaper.
Billy Stark
FISOhead

Re: Europe 2017 Strategy

Post by Billy Stark »

RickyRosa wrote:Ant your so wrong when you say it's all luck.

Benny makes an excellent point and observation.

If you look at his record he's a DT winner, I came 3rd and 5th in two different Euro competitions within months of each other, this I can assure you wasn't just down to luck.

Months of research, late nights, dedication, a will to succeed and most importantly a clear defined strategy (not just three words, I genuinely had a plan).

I chose a high risk/high reward strategy and played to win.

If you look at my teams in the FISO league, I have 3 in the top 10.

Not one of them have a Man U block.

In poker 90 percent of players are losers, with less than 1 percent of players being big winners, the same players win over and over again over the long run, the same players lose over the long run or get better, they're called fish.

Dead money.

I would argue if you don't have a plan at this stage, without wishing to cause offence, you are dead money.

Same as 99 percent of all DT players.

Me, I plan to win and I have a process and structure to deliver success, I may fail, my strategy is high risk, though, I am sure, it is potentially a winning strategy.

You know what they say.....

Aim for the stars....
Months of research and late nights? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You need to get out more :D

MrTomRipley
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: "Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm"

Post by MrTomRipley »

CBN wrote:The Closer and The Ripper in a blossoming bromance.

Anyone got a bucket I could throw up into?
I didn't say that Ricky doesn't act like a bit of a tool on the forum sometimes. He does. As do many. I was just pointing out that there is actually a lot of value in some of his thinking.

Ant1
Treebeard

Post by Ant1 »

Billy Stark wrote:

If you look at his record he's a DT winner, I came 3rd and 5th in two different Euro competitions within months of each other, this I can assure you wasn't just down to luck.

Months of research, late nights, dedication, a will to succeed and most importantly a clear defined strategy (not just three words, I genuinely had a plan).

In poker 90 percent of players are losers, with less than 1 percent of players being big winners, the same players win over and over again over the long run, the same players lose over the long run or get better, they're called fish.

Dead money.

I would argue if you don't have a plan at this stage, without wishing to cause offence, you are dead money.

Me, I plan to win and I have a process and structure to deliver success, I may fail, my strategy is high risk, though, I am sure, it is potentially a winning strategy.

Aim for the stars....

....all that research for 8 Man U players + 3 others.

Just imagine how much later, the late nights would be, if they could be arsed to put ALL the players in the comp.

Billy Stark
FISOhead

Post by Billy Stark »

Missing the point Ant, it takes a while to filter out all they players who are a size 8 and below who wear blue boots and put their left sock on before their right.

Ant1
Treebeard

Post by Ant1 »

...oh that's where i've been going wrong.

pulpfiction
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd in phase dream team europe, 3rd november manager of the month

Post by pulpfiction »

I'm bored.

My teams are history, despite my attempts at game theory.

All the months of research I put into my teams are dead money.

I tried to look into the dynamics of the game and aim for the stars, to no avail.

Next up was lateral thinking, then the numbers game. Neither helped.

I guess too many people keep the cards close to their chest.

Thank goodness for fiso.

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

Was that Tolkien or Orwell pulp?

Edit: Sorry just realised it was Voltaire :oops:

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2016 SDT Knockout Cup Winner. 5th Overall in SDT 2016 European Comp, 3rd overall in SDT Euro 2016 Comp

Post by RickyRosa »

Ant1 wrote:
Billy Stark wrote:

Dead money.

Aim for the stars....

Just imagine how much later, the late nights would be, if they could be arsed to put ALL the players in the comp.
You still don't get it do you?

Man U is not the way to go unless your lucky enough to be one of the top teams and even then it's a risk, yours simply backing the favourite, just like last year, when everyone went Barca or Bayern, which was all well and good if you were one of the top teams, I would have done the same, but I wasn't, so I didn't.

If you go united and your off the pace how can you ever possibly catch the front runners.

By picking the player who scores a hat trick?

The people who do this really are leaving it down to luck, It's no wonder they don't win, especially as the game has such a polarised range of players.

Highly improbable that the Man U will not yield a successful out come, highly probable that it will fail, thus making a bad bet.

Mugs make bad bets, punters, losers, fish, what ever you want to call them.

You say I don't mention or talk about strategy, this is what pulp alludes to him his thinly veiled post (you are better than that mate) the above is strategy discussion, I'm not telling you how to win, just how not to lose.

Yet you don't want to engage in debate, would rather take the p iss

That's what Billy likes to do, been posting since 2009 and ain't won shit, ever wonder why Billy? (Please do correct me if I'm wrong, though I bet I ain't)

As I have said before, no wonder people like Sandor don't post here.

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Yorkshire Exile »

2 short euro games is hardly a big enough sample size to make sweeping conclusions. The shorter the game the more luck plays a part.... See the Weekender games etc

There are a LOT of players on here and elsewhere who have had bigger and perhaps more crucially sustained success at fantasy games than a couple of top 10 finishes in short events...

It's hardly novel recognising if you are behind you need to do something different to catch up

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

When I came 3rd in the seasonal I'd put it down to luck mainly. Started well was up there then just kept the best players/brought in ones on form.

I'd like to say I had a strategy but unfortunately
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Finally a decent strategy :D

MrTomRipley
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: "Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm"

Post by MrTomRipley »

I think the point is this.

With skill and effort you can put yourself towards the top of the table pretty much every season. You then just need a bit of luck to win it.

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

With luck you can put yourself at the top of the table, with more luck you can win it.

This is a format where players only play a few times so game variance is key... You need to land on the big scorers week by week.... It is not like looking at fixtures form etc over a season

Billy Stark
FISOhead

Post by Billy Stark »

Ricky - You are not trying to debate. You are trying to lecture people on how to play the game and quite frankly your thoughts are utter shite anyway :lol:

I highly doubt people have 10 Man Utd blocks but it would be daft not to at least cover them in 1 or 2 teams. They are favs for the tournament. If they do go on to win (or get to the final) it then you have no chance of winning unless you have covered the other finalist. To say you don't cover popular players is just a brutal strategy and you are best going to your bed a few hours earlier each night for a few months instead of wasting your time.

You say you have been playing for 20 years so that prob makes you a 40 something male who spends months of sleepless nights picking fantasy football teams. It's supposed to be a bit of fun.

As for my record, I don't keep a diary of my achievements but I've had more out of fantasy football than I've put in so that'll do for me.

You been to bed yet?

MrTomRipley
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MrTomRipley »

Billy Stark wrote:Ricky - You are not trying to debate. You are trying to lecture people on how to play the game and quite frankly your thoughts are utter shite anyway :lol:

I highly doubt people have 10 Man Utd blocks but it would be daft not to at least cover them in 1 or 2 teams. They are favs for the tournament. If they do go on to win (or get to the final) it then you have no chance of winning unless you have covered the other finalist. To say you don't cover popular players is just a brutal strategy and you are best going to your bed a few hours earlier each night for a few months instead of wasting your time.

You say you have been playing for 20 years so that prob makes you a 40 something male who spends months of sleepless nights picking fantasy football teams. It's supposed to be a bit of fun.

As for my record, I don't keep a diary of my achievements but I've had more out of fantasy football than I've put in so that'll do for me.

You been to bed yet?
Playing poker? Just a bit of fun.

Yes, for many people it is. But for many it's a serous skill game.

Billy Stark
FISOhead

Post by Billy Stark »

I take your point but I don't think the risk/reward elements of the two are comparable.

MrTomRipley
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MrTomRipley »

Billy Stark wrote:I take your point but I don't think the risk/reward elements of the two are comparable.
Maybe not. But there is less serious competition in FF.

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Late nights. .Pahhh....

Billy does his strategic thinking when he should be working... Spends hours debating the toss then does what his mates suggested days before :lol:

Billy Stark
FISOhead

Post by Billy Stark »

Yorkshire Exile wrote:Late nights. .Pahhh....

Billy does his strategic thinking when he should be working... Spends hours debating the toss then does what his mates suggested days before :lol:
I think you'll find Hazard is still in my team :D

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Billy Stark wrote:
Yorkshire Exile wrote:Late nights. .Pahhh....

I think you'll find Hazard is still in my team :D
I having a bet on a mky hatty :wink:

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Time and time again I see posters exaggerating the role planning/strategy plays in winning fantasy dosh. As one who has had occasional success (170 k made up of one biggie and various bits and pieces) I know that success is 99% down to luck and that anyone who thinks that "skill" is the key factor is deluded.

Once Ricky and his ilk realise this, the more they will enjoy playing fantasy. That's not to say that he is totally wasting his time "thinking strategically" as it may marginally increase his chances of winning but more importantly he is probably enjoying doing it and that is as important as winning.

Obviously you don't win picking players with a pin, but fantasy isn't rocket science and little skill is needed to work out how, for example, to maximise the number of man games. Most fantasy players who pay any real attention to their teams will easily be able to do this without needing to put their brains into gear, leading to the same conclusion, success is all down to luck.

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

Billy Stark wrote:I highly doubt people have 10 Man Utd blocks
:oops:

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Striker wrote:Time and time again I see posters exaggerating the role planning/strategy plays in winning fantasy dosh. As one who has had occasional success (170 k made up of one biggie and various bits and pieces) I know that success is 99% down to luck and that anyone who thinks that "skill" is the key factor is deluded.

Once Ricky and his ilk realise this, the more they will enjoy playing fantasy. That's not to say that he is totally wasting his time "thinking strategically" as it may marginally increase his chances of winning but more importantly he is probably enjoying doing it and that is as important as winning.

Obviously you don't win picking players with a pin, but fantasy isn't rocket science and little skill is needed to work out how, for example, to maximise the number of man games. Most fantasy players who pay any real attention to their teams will easily be able to do this without needing to put their brains into gear, leading to the same conclusion, success is all down to luck.

There is a threshold somewhere related to effort / insight or experience about the game which generally separates the casual from serious players. If there were not you would not see the same names on leaderboards year on year. Once you have attained that threshold it is luck.

In some games I class as a casual player and expect to lose my money, in others I have the ability with a bit of luck to contend.

jaycar25
FISOhead
FS Record: Could be better!

Post by jaycar25 »

It takes SKILL and LUCK to win any game of Fantasy Football. end of discussion. The first thing I thought of doing was 10 Man Utd blocks. Even if Man UTD get to the final doesn't mean a Man Utd BLOCK WILL win the game anyway. One forgets that Mourinho is going to rotate that team once Jones,and Rojo are back to full fitness.

Ant1
Treebeard

Post by Ant1 »

RickyRosa wrote:
Ant1 wrote:
Billy Stark wrote:

Dead money.

Aim for the stars....

You still don't get it do you?

Man U is not the way to go unless your lucky enough to be one of the top teams and even then it's a risk, yours simply backing the favourite, just like last year, when everyone went Barca or Bayern, which was all well and good if you were one of the top teams, I would have done the same, but I wasn't, so I didn't.

If you go united and your off the pace how can you ever possibly catch the front runners.

By picking the player who scores a hat trick?

The people who do this really are leaving it down to luck, It's no wonder they don't win, especially as the game has such a polarised range of players.

Highly improbable that the Man U will not yield a successful out come, highly probable that it will fail, thus making a bad bet.

Mugs make bad bets, punters, losers, fish, what ever you want to call them.

You say I don't mention or talk about strategy, this is what pulp alludes to him his thinly veiled post (you are better than that mate) the above is strategy discussion, I'm not telling you how to win, just how not to lose.

Yet you don't want to engage in debate, would rather take the p iss

That's what Billy likes to do, been posting since 2009 and ain't won shit, ever wonder why Billy? (Please do correct me if I'm wrong, though I bet I ain't)

As I have said before, no wonder people like Sandor don't post here.
Do you seriously believe your waffle ?

I do get it, completely, about Man U block, blah, blah, blah...

"I'm not telling you how to win, just how not to lose". That statement doesn't make sense. You either win, or you lose. "How not to lose, implies you're a winner. You're contradicting yourself, trying to sound clever, when all you're spouting is verbal diarrhoea.

Regards taking the piss, which i'm not trying to and have a sensible debate, you leave yourself open to it.

Boasting is also not an endearing quality or being patronising. Treating people like they are completely naive regarding the strategies of fantasy football e.t.c.

If you want to question my dreamteam record it's better than yours, main game, but i'm not going to boast or patronise anyone.

Ex-Pro-Gaffer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 17th Overall SDT 19/20
Winner King Of The Weekender Fiso League 16/17 + 18/19 + 19/20
Winner Xmas Fiso League 16/17
Winner Budget Up 16/17
2nd Fiso Euro Comp 16/17

Post by Ex-Pro-Gaffer »

It's like loose women in here :P

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Yorkshire Exile wrote:Once you have attained that threshold it is luck.
I can go along with that. There is a point after which winning is 100% luck. But Ricky still doesn't seem to have yet accepted this.

MrTomRipley
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MrTomRipley »

ex-pro-gaffer wrote:It's like loose women in here :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mesmerised
FISOhead
FS Record: I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 10k a day

Post by mesmerised »

Like a bunch of wailing women in here :lol:

Skill or luck, the truth is usually closer to the middle when two poloarising views are held, and this is no different.

Luck plays a big part, you can't possibly know for sure what is going to happen.

But the best players who fare well consistently do so based on making a series of educated guesses. Some people's educated guesses are better than others, it's that simple people.

I 'd plump for 60/40 in terms of luck/skill ratio.

Get over this debate anyway it doesn't matter, people play the game based on a) the way they see it and b) how it fits into thier lives, some people are more successful because they have mroe time to spare so re more on the ball, i.e. keeping up team news, injuries, suspensions

I like The Closer's energy and enthusiasm, but unless you are a very well know consistent winner in the world of fantasy football, it's just another opinion, it only carries real weight when you are proven, we've all had wins if you've played long enough,some big and some small, I could have won 10k in the last 5 years for one single win, but if The Ripper had won 2k a year during those 5 years, he would be the better player, even if he has more time and more entries, he's played it better.

Regards.

Ant1
Treebeard

Post by Ant1 »

mesmerised wrote:Like a bunch of wailing women in here :lol:

Skill or luck, the truth is usually closer to the middle when two poloarising views are held, and this is no different.

Luck plays a big part, you can't possibly know for sure what is going to happen.

But the best players who fare well consistently do so based on making a series of educated guesses. Some people's educated guesses are better than others, it's that simple people.

I 'd plump for 60/40 in terms of luck/skill ratio.

Get over this debate anyway it doesn't matter, people play the game based on a) the way they see it and b) how it fits into thier lives, some people are more successful because they have mroe time to spare so re more on the ball, i.e. keeping up team news, injuries, suspensions

I like The Closer's energy and enthusiasm, but unless you are a very well know consistent winner in the world of fantasy football, it's just another opinion, it only carries real weight when you are proven, we've all had wins if you've played long enough,some big and some small, I could have won 10k in the last 5 years for one single win, but if The Ripper had won 2k a year during those 5 years, he would be the better player, even if he has more time and more entries, he's played it better.

Regards.
Can i just say, you've mesmerised me with that astute insight. Bravo...but not through the legs.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “European Dream Team”