To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Europe 2017 Strategy

A Fantasy Football forum for news on European fantasy football games run by The Sun newspaper.
RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2016 SDT Knockout Cup Winner. 5th Overall in SDT 2016 European Comp, 3rd overall in SDT Euro 2016 Comp

Europe 2017 Strategy

Post by RickyRosa »

Really enjoyed last years thread and got me thinking there is a distinct lack of strategy discussion this year and got me thinking as to why?

Is it because the dynamic of the game has changed dramatically and people are holding their cards close to there chest?

I noticed In the other thread that some people seemed to think that the optimum strat was pretty obvious and I guess as such not really requiring much discussion?

I'm more than happy to discuss strat and whilst I could give away some gems I found last year that open discussion gave me more than I gave away and I honestly think without the help and thoughts of FISO members I wouldn't have won so much money (certaingky would have had less fun).

I think there are 3 distinct stats that could be used and am unsure which is optimum.

The obvious being EL, 4 games as opposed to two, however, I found last year it was a bit of a lottery and I missed out on points from the greats and found that the CS provided by the CL teams negated the points from the additional teams.

This year I am un sure about subs...

The CL games are on Tuesday and Wednesday and thus the luxury of being able to see the teams is an important factor, though, I suppose, if I still have 5 subs on the Thursday I can always sub out any EL players missing from my team once the team sheets are announced?

Meaning I am guaranteed to have a full team of EL starters but crucially, not having any CL players....unless I go with a hybrid strat... Lots of EL and 5 CL but then I miss out on the EL more game advantage?

Am I right in thinking that I will be able to make changes to my EL based teams before the Thursday kick off as they wont be locked teams as they wont have played in that game week (obv only to other EL players)?

What strategy do you consider optimum?

Are people going to be leaving teams blank like last year? Or will you be to afraid that you won't be able add players after the game starts a week Tuesday? Or is that illogical? Is there really an advantage to be had there?

Interested in everyone's opinions....

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Re: Europe 2017 Strategy

Post by SUZYKINS »

So you agree you gave nought away but benefited from open discussion :twisted:
Ronaldo & Messi do well old bean :shock:

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

Pogba looks a snip to me :wink:

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2016 SDT Knockout Cup Winner. 5th Overall in SDT 2016 European Comp, 3rd overall in SDT Euro 2016 Comp

Post by RickyRosa »

Always up for a bit of open discussion and always contribute more than most.

Just like discussing the meta strategys, more so the high risk, high variance strats...

That's why I started the variance thread last year, specifically to discuss ways of minimising variance and to encourage open discussion unlike the one line brigade who like to hate.

Haters gonna hate!

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

RickyRosa wrote:Always up for a bit of open discussion and always contribute more than most.

Just like discussing the meta strategys, more so the high risk, high variance strats...

That's why I started the variance thread last year, specifically to discuss ways of minimising variance and to encourage open discussion unlike the one line brigade who like to hate.

Haters gonna hate!
Piss takers gotta piss take :roll:

gutshot
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Solid

Post by gutshot »

SUZYKINS wrote:
RickyRosa wrote:Always up for a bit of open discussion and always contribute more than most.

Haters gonna hate!
:lol: :lol:

Blademan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 5k weekly winner 2017
BIG BALLS WINNER PROBABLY

Post by Blademan »

RickyRosa wrote:Really enjoyed last years thread and got me thinking there is a distinct lack of strategy discussion this year and got me thinking as to why?

Is it because the dynamic of the game has changed dramatically and people are holding their cards close to there chest?

I noticed In the other thread that some people seemed to think that the optimum strat was pretty obvious and I guess as such not really requiring much discussion?

I'm more than happy to discuss strat and whilst I could give away some gems I found last year that open discussion gave me more than I gave away and I honestly think without the help and thoughts of FISO members I wouldn't have won so much money (certaingky would have had less fun).

I think there are 3 distinct stats that could be used and am unsure which is optimum.

The obvious being EL, 4 games as opposed to two, however, I found last year it was a bit of a lottery and I missed out on points from the greats and found that the CS provided by the CL teams negated the points from the additional teams.

The CL games are on Tuesday and Wednesday and thus the luxury of being able to see the teams is an important factor, though, I suppose, if I still have 5 subs on the Thursday I can always sub out any EL players missing from my team once the team sheets are announced?

Meaning I am guaranteed to have a full team of EL starters but crucially, not having any CL players....unless I go with a hybrid strat... Lots of EL and 5 CL but then I miss out on the EL more game advantage?

Am I right in thinking that I will be able to make changes to my EL based teams before the Thursday kick off as they wont be locked teams as they wont have played in that game week (obv only to other EL players)?

Are people going to be leaving teams blank like last year? Or will you be to afraid that you won't be able add players after the game starts a week Tuesday? Or is that illogical? Is there really an advantage to be had there?

think that the bit that is highlighted could give you some idea as to why a lack of replies

I've planned what I think is a good strategy and whilst I could give it away I don't think I'll bother

but can you all feel free to post your plans in case I've missed something

grizzler
FISOhead

Post by grizzler »

Strangely like you I have found that discussing my strategy has helped me get better at this game. It's funny because logically you would think lurking and leeching information would benefit you, but quite a few lurkers have said when they stopped lurking and started contributing they became more successful. I actually have found the same.

The Don
Red & Blue Braces

Post by The Don »

RickyRosa wrote:Really enjoyed last years thread and got me thinking there is a distinct lack of strategy discussion this year and got me thinking as to why?

Who says Europa league games are on Thursdays?

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RickyRosa »

The Don wrote:

They are besides the Man U 2nd leg.
Blademan wrote:

think that the bit that is highlighted could give you some idea as to why a lack of replies

I've planned what I think is a good strategy and whilst I could give it away I don't think I'll bother

but can you all feel free to post your plans in case I've missed something
Understand where you at coming from, however, just like Grizzler, I think i am a better player from open and transparent discussion, it's proven in my results, lurker 14/15 cam 150th overall, contributer 15/16 came 5th overall in one comp and 3rd overall in the Euro game.

Interestingly (or maybe not) I openly discussed my high risk Portuguese strat and despite some great players saying it was a mistake it reinforced to me that I had to play a very high risk strat to stand a chance of winning.

I think if I was lurking or not contributing I probably would have done what everyone else did and finished where everyone else did.

Whilst I understand why you would keep your cards close to your chest if everyone did the same their would be no discussion and thus no forum.
SUZYKINS wrote:

Haters gonna hate!
So funny!

One thing I know is that FISO players are almost always at the top of the leagues, would be a shame if everyone keeps there tactics so closely guarded that the discussion, heads up on injuries, bargain players do not come to light...

Truly believe we all gain more by pooling info then keeping your thoughts top secrete

The Don
Red & Blue Braces

Post by The Don »

RickyRosa wrote:
The Don wrote:

WRONG!

Blademan
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blademan »

I think you misunderstood my reply

ronny10
FISO Knight
FS Record: Not to shabby

Post by ronny10 »

With 5 transfers per phase and player lockout in place there are only a few ways to use your transfers and beyond that it's down to player choice.

What's the point of giving so called info when you would just be stating the obvious.

The pricing is such that you can pick any block you like and still have the top players and regards any hidden gems is there such a thing with all the info freely available about teams.

Surely the only strategy you should be focusing most on is getting 11 players starting first and foremost.

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

My strat is based around free stylers and is both genius and awesome with some strat variance in phases 2 and 3 leading onto phase 4 where I go from single free stylers to variance free STYLING resulting in the ultimate finishing strat

Blademan
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blademan »

ronny10 wrote:My strat is based around free stylers and is both genius and awesome with some strat variance in phases 2 and 3 leading onto phase 4 where I go from single free stylers to variance free STYLING resulting in the ultimate finishing strat
I'll probably end up going the free style way, got 2 so far but could easily switch a CL free styler to a EL freestyler

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

Blademan wrote:
ronny10 wrote:My strat is based around free stylers and is both genius and awesome with some strat variance in phases 2 and 3 leading onto phase 4 where I go from single free stylers to variance free STYLING resulting in the ultimate finishing strat
I'll probably end up going the free style way, got 2 so far but could easily switch a CL free styler to a EL freestyler
It's just wether the benefits of an early free style swap to semi fixed free styler is worthwhile but then you would be fully committed to a semi free style strat from then onwards and limit the variance of the obvious advantage gained from going full on free styling from day 1.

Tough one

Blademan
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blademan »

ronny10 wrote:
Blademan wrote:
It's just wether the benefits of an early free style swap to semi fixed free styler is worthwhile but then you would be fully committed to a semi free style strat from then onwards and limit the variance of the obvious advantage gained from going full on free styling from day 1.

Tough one
that's the same dilemma I've got
high risk but high reward you would think, i'll prob end up going semi fixed free style way in half of my teams from day 1 but with the other half will leave it to see if any freestylers are drawn against each other in phase 3, if they are its going to waste 2 transfers in phase 3 but if they're not it could be a huge advantage having 2 of them in and 5 transfers

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

Blademan wrote:
ronny10 wrote:
Blademan wrote:

Tough one
that's the same dilemma I've got
high risk but high reward you would think, i'll prob end up going semi fixed free style way in half of my teams from day 1 but with the other half will leave it to see if any freestylers are drawn against each other in phase 3, if they are its going to waste 2 transfers in phase 3 but if they're not it could be a huge advantage having 2 of them in and 5 transfers
Only 2 free stylers in phase 3 :shock:

I thought you learnt your lesson in the monthlies last season blade.

I suggest you have another look as you can clearly get a double freestyle strat in from the start and with the semi fixed freestyle variance you can push towards in phases 2 and 3 there is a way to triple free styling :wink:

I aint giving it all away though. You can work it out for yourself :P

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won DT WC 2018
Won DT weekender wk 2 18/19
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

The thing is with free stylers is knowing when to use them. I'm probably going to freestyle in phase 3. Freestyled too early last season and it cost me big time and only did well in 1 of the phases :roll:

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

MADCHESTER UTD wrote:The thing is with free stylers is knowing when to use them. I'm probably going to freestyle in phase 3. Freestyled too early last season and it cost me big time and only did well in 1 of the phases :roll:
Thing is Dan this year is a different game, very similar to how you may have free styled in the euro game but you need a better variance of free stylers compared to that just because I would think your 1st phase strat based on different fixture schedules to that of the summer euro game But it does allow an earlier use of a freestyler or even 2 and with proper use of 'buzzing' variance as I mentioned to blade it actually is possible for triple free styling in the latter stages.

leethomas
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: mini cup winner, joint top overall Euro phase winner 15/16, runner up fiso weekly league 15/16 16/17 weekly winner 16/17 2k head to head winner 16/17 fiso iso league winner 16/17 lwdt hardly mr average winner 16/17

Post by leethomas »

You would be very lucky ronny to be able to triple freestyle in the latter stages ( may be wrong but thats only possible stage 3 onwards isnt it?) you would need the buzzing variant from cl to el players to be exact in first two phases for any chance. But you have given me food for thought.

gutshot
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Solid

Post by gutshot »

I think my strat, will be to simply use a slight variance, on last year's winning freestyle double, in or around phase 2 :idea:

Blademan
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blademan »

Too risky for 3 imo, works well with euros and monthlies but you know who plays who all the time then .
Random draw in phase 3 makes it too risky for 3 free stylers imo

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

leethomas wrote:You would be very lucky ronny to be able to triple freestyle in the latter stages ( may be wrong but thats only possible stage 3 onwards isnt it?) you would need the buzzing variant from cl to el players to be exact in first two phases for any chance. But you have given me food for thought.
It is unlikely but possible. It all depends on results but doesn't any strat.

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

Blademan wrote:Too risky for 3 imo, works well with euros and monthlies but you know who plays who all the time then .
Like I just said to lee, all depends on results and draw obviously but then all you can do is make sure the variance of free stylers across all your teams compliment each other we you go safe on a single freestyler start and play that way all the way through or take risks regards variance in phase 1 looking at expanding your freestylers as things progress.

Hard to plan exactly and bound to be a few buzzing variance factors to consider but that's the fun I suppose in sorting your strat early and playing it all out

plevna1963
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: John Morrison Elite League 14/15 22nd 15/16 8th Europa League 15/16 8th Sundreamteam 2015/16 Weekly Winner Top 100 / Fiso Euro 2016 (Fra) 2nd. Xmas League (2) 2016/2017
John Morrison Elite League March Monthly Winner 2016/17

Post by plevna1963 »

The Don wrote:
RickyRosa wrote:
The Don wrote:

WRONG!
x2

Blademan
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Blademan »

You'll not start with 3 ronny

leethomas
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: mini cup winner, joint top overall Euro phase winner 15/16, runner up fiso weekly league 15/16 16/17 weekly winner 16/17 2k head to head winner 16/17 fiso iso league winner 16/17 lwdt hardly mr average winner 16/17

Post by leethomas »

ronny10 wrote:
Blademan wrote:Too risky for 3 imo, works well with euros and monthlies but you know who plays who all the time then .
Like I just said to lee, all depends on results and draw obviously but then all you can do is make sure the variance of free stylers across all your teams compliment each other we you go safe on a single freestyler start and play that way all the way through or take risks regards variance in phase 1 looking at expanding your freestylers as things progress.

Hard to plan exactly and bound to be a few buzzing variance factors to consider but that's the fun I suppose in sorting your strat early and playing it all out
Could always really gamble with the variant and perm the third freestyler from phase two onwards with freestyler one and two.....obviously either freestyler 1 or 2 would have to be el player, big gamble but could work.

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

leethomas wrote:
ronny10 wrote:

Could always really gamble with the variant and perm the third freestyler from phase two onwards with freestyler one and two.....obviously either freestyler 1 or 2 would have to be el player, big gamble but could work.
:shock: you're so close

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won DT WC 2018
Won DT weekender wk 2 18/19
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

:? But why would you free style in phase 3 with a EL? Surely you'd be better off freestyling a CL player as not only do they play first, you also save a transfer. I know it's swings and roundabouts but I'd much rather a full block to start, converting to a semi block once the free stylers have been activated. Each to their own though

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “European Dream Team”