To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

OFL ISO 2016/17

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games offered by Fantasy League Limited (OFL).
Northernmonkey
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 8th TFFO 2008/09

OFL ISO 2016/17

Post by Northernmonkey »

Welcome to the ISO challenge for season 2016/17, now in it's 7th OFL season!

After a few weeks of doubt the game's just been launched... I'm feeling keen so let's get things moving :D

Last year we all found it tough to get our teams up the leaderboard after an unusual start to the season (and Bal's iffy starting line up :wink:). I managed to win it in the end, so have the pleasure of choosing the ISO squad for the big kick off on 13th August.

Introduction to the game:

The rules of ISO are quite simple. Every participant starts with the same (agreed) squad line-up, and must make the same (agreed) selection choices over the first weekend of matches. From then onwards, everyone may manage their own team as they like, and by May we will see who has managed their transfers and subs best, and who has won ISO 2016/17!

Minileague:

I've set up a F&E league for this competition:

League name: FISO ISO 2016/17
Pin: 28163

Teams should be called "ISO <username>" (eg. ISO Northernmonkey), and it's one team per person. Teams should be in the league by the first weekend (although with OFL's facility to see a team's history, exceptions could be made within reason).

We'll aim to have the squad finalised about a week before the season starts, so that managers away in the run-up to Week 1 can still set up their team with the correct squad.

Hall of fame:

I've delved through the archives of previous winners to create our hall of fame. The competition started back in the good old days of TFFO, then migrated to OFL in 2010. There's a fine pedigree of previous champions, including some who've won the overall main competition. The best ever achievement for an ISO team was Marke192, he was pipped in the final week of the season to finish runner up overall in 2013-14.

2015-16 Northernmonkey
2014-15 Bal
2013-14 Marke192 (and 2nd in the overall standings)
2012-13 Skip
2011-12 Fat Skier
2010-11 Blessed Brian
2009-10 Reds363 (last winner from the TFFO days)

Participation
This game is open to any FISO member, whether you're an ex-TFFOer, an OFL regular, both or even neither! Obviously you can still win any of OFL's prizes, but there's no prize for the ISO competition itself, other than honour (and the right to choose next season's starting team). It's all the fun of any entry in OFL, minus the trouble of deciding your starting squad yourself, plus the extra banter and competition provided by the ISO challenge. Get involved!

Squad
By tradition, the starting squad is decided by the previous year's ISO winner and following a process of discussion and debate amongst entrants, criticised and changed until a final 16 is settled on.

*** Confirmed starting squad 2016-17 ***

Courtois CHE £4.1m

Bellerin ARS £4.5m
Monreal ARS £4.4m

Smalling MUN £4.5m
Alderweireld TOT £4.4m
Gibson MID £3.5m

Mahrez LEI £5.6m
Payet WHU £5.5m
Mkhitaryan MUN £5.0m
Firmino LIV £5.0m
Sigurdsson SWA £4.6m
Mirallas EVE £4.1m
Lamela TOT £4.1m
Ibe BOU £3.8m
Loftus Cheek CHE £3.4m

Aguero MCY £8.5m

Supersubs for the first weekend of fixtures
Pick everyone. If you've set your team up correctly there are no fixture clashes, so pick all players. After Monday nights game everyone is free to make whatever transfers they want. I'll double check all scores on Tuesday where everyone should have exactly the same score. Good luck :D

Hope to see some familiar old faces and plenty of new ones. Stick your name down if you're up for giving it a bash.
Last edited by Northernmonkey on 08 Aug 2016, 08:20, edited 4 times in total.

skip
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: UFPL beta winner 2014, OFL ISO winner 2013

Re: OFL ISO 2016/17

Post by skip »

Nice post NorthernMonkey. I got jaded with OFL last year and head a dead team after Christmas (poor start, frustrating website, etc) but will give it another go for posterity. Looking forward to seeing the team!

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

I'll be in.

Evvy18
Treebeard

Post by Evvy18 »

I'll have another go this year

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

Count me in, as always!

I'm simply the best! I have a trophy and 3 medals and all that from last season. Call me the king, please!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Northernmonkey
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Northernmonkey »

Good stuff. Still early doors but I'll get a team up pretty soon to get some feedback going. Not finding it easy getting in 2 top strikers, so who's gonna be this years Austin or Vardy!?

bal
Treebeard

Post by bal »

I'll be back and will keep my iffy selection to my own team(s) this time around :-)
Mind you I defy anyone to have accurately predicted what went on last season.

Northernmonkey
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Northernmonkey »

Right then.. hear me out :wink:

After a fair bit of tinkering here's a first draft for the ISO side to start picking apart. With strikers being a little more pricey I've found it hard to get 2 big ones, perhaps a strong one will appear in the coming weeks (Benteke would be a good shout at 6.5 if he moved clubs) but for others I'm struggling to justify the money. Personally I'm not a fan of rotating cheap keepers or defenders, but as the cheap picks emerge there's plenty of scope to raise some cash if people want. The midfield is pretty packed but I can't see any fixture clashes until the end of Sept. Some familiar faces, but generally reliable ones to get things started.

So this has only 1 striker for now :shock:

I dont think it'll take too much surgery to get a 2nd in I just can't decide who!

Courtois CHE £4.1m Nailed on and cheapest of the top keepers

Bellerin ARS £4.5m Not something I'd usually do 2 FB's from the same team but up front Arsenal are a bit pricey, solid pair they got 94 points last year.
Monreal ARS £4.4m

Smalling MUN £4.5m Misses the first match I think for his red in the cup final, but should be a safe starter in a strong defence. Scores too.
Alderweireld TOT £4.4m Settled defence + scores. Nuff said
Jagielka EVE £4.1m A pretty dull choice but a safe starter and Everton should do better under Koeman

Mahrez LEI £5.6m Poor mans striker!
Mkhitaryan MUN £5.0m I'd love Zlatan but at £3m cheaper this guy should do well
Firmino LIV £5.0m Bagged loads of points at the end of last year.. toss up between him and Mane.
Sigurdsson SWA £4.6m Again bagged loads of points under the new manager at the end of last season
Tadic SOU £4.7m Rumours he was off but now talks of a new contract, again full of points & set pieces
Mirallas EVE £4.1m Super Kev. Bit of a punt this, but now Martinez is out the way I can see him having a decent season. He's also a decent price.
Lamela TOT £4.1m Improved last year, Pochetino seems to love him.
Ibe BOU £3.8m Howe didn't get the England job which can only be good for Ibe. A regular given they paid £15m, I can see this being his first decent season.
Diame HUL £3.5m Got to balance the books! Him or Snodgrass would be OK. Scores goals (including the play off final winner against the Owls :evil:)

Aguero MCY £8.5m Must have.

£0.1m spare

All comments and ideas welcome. Fill your boots!

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

Not a bad first draft
Just a few suggestions.
Think I'd rather see Dier in place of Lamela, same price and I think Dier will get more playing time.
Stones instead of Jagielka same price esp. if he goes to MC
my pref would be Payet over Mahrez but I'll go with the flow on that one, just can't see Liecester doing as well this season.
Defence looks sound.
Like to see a second striker but won't be easy , found that out selecting my other team.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I'd prefer a third FB, maybe from Middlesbrough. He could replace Super Kev, which could free up a little cash for a second striker.

Northernmonkey
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Northernmonkey »

bspittles wrote:I'd prefer a third FB, maybe from Middlesbrough. He could replace Super Kev, which could free up a little cash for a second striker.
Yeah I'd tinkered with a cheap FB like Friend or Dawson, but went for the cheap midfielders instead. I always seem to get it wrong with cheap defenders & missing points by over benching. Which second striker? That's the slot I'm struggling to feel good about without going for a pricey one.
Britinus wrote: Think I'd rather see Dier in place of Lamela, same price and I think Dier will get more playing time.
my pref would be Payet over Mahrez but I'll go with the flow on that one, just can't see Liecester doing as well this season.
Cheers. Not sure about Dier, as a MID he won't get many attacking points. Last year from 37 games he had a hand in only 5 goals where as Lamela had a hand in 14 from far fewer games. Think I'd rather take a safer pick like Cabeye/Townsend/Shaqiri and free up a Spurs space.

Agree on Stones, for Payet I just want to read he's starting the season as he's due a rest after playing every match at the Euros. Mahrez meanwhile kicks off at Hull, I can't see them repeating last seasons exploits either but I can see Mahrez scoring well again until he goes to the African Nations.

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

I might be wrong but wasn't Dier a defender last season, and he is .3 cheaper....but if Pochetino likes Lamela then he will prob get more playing time.

Northernmonkey
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Northernmonkey »

He must've been classified as a defender in this as he got 39 points apparently from 3 goals and 2 assists, but he mainly played in midfield for Spurs.

Sowenna
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14

Post by Sowenna »

Britinus wrote:Not a bad first draft
Just a few suggestions.
Think I'd rather see Dier in place of Lamela, same price and I think Dier will get more playing time.
Defence looks sound.
Like to see a second striker but won't be easy , found that out selecting my other team.
I can't see Dier being a better option than Lamela midfielders only get points for assists and goals, Lamela surely is the the better choice out of the two

Sowenna
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14

Post by Sowenna »

count me in again this season

Evvy18
Treebeard

Post by Evvy18 »

The lack of a 2nd striker and/or lack of high price midfielder means 2 subs are required to have enough funds to bring in 2nd striker

Aguero is reliable but Ibe, the new Man U midfielder, are too much of a gamble for me. 2 Ars fullbacks is interesting choice to go with but think Payet should win the Mahrez/ Payet debate. Interesting to see no DeBruyne

Happy to go with whatever Northern Monkey

Northernmonkey
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Northernmonkey »

Evvy18 wrote:Aguero is reliable but Ibe, the new Man U midfielder, are too much of a gamble for me. 2 Ars fullbacks is interesting choice to go with but think Payet should win the Mahrez/ Payet debate. Interesting to see no DeBruyne

Happy to go with whatever Northern Monkey
Still early days and room for a few tinkers.

If a reasonably priced standout striker emerges in the next couple of weeks I'll move the team around, but at the moment it seems like you have to spank a hell of a lot and downgrade several players to fit that in.

Mkhitaryan is a risk as he isn't cheap. But compared with other Man U options he is cheap. He scored in a friendly tonight, which means nothing but he's a Mourinho buy and with Man U already looking pretty tasty (and money to burn on a £100m midfielder :shock: ) I think he'll do good.

Ibe I've only picked on the basis he'll play every game if fit, he's young and has the potential to do well. May need patience but I got Dele Alli in really early last season and it paid off.

So far that's 2 votes for Payet over Mahrez :?

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

Has to be Mahrez if he goes to Arsenal as has been whispered. Especially with two Arsenal defenders, assuming one can still have 3 players from one team until a transfer is made.

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

Players changing clubs within the Premier League will also change clubs on the player list. However, this will not invalidate a team if two players from the new club are already owned. The new club will however be taken into account when making any transfers into a team.

Not quite clear as to whether it's the said team or any team when making a transfer.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

A manager couldn't bring in Mahrez after he's moved to Arsenal, so everyone who intended to join the league would need to get him now.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I'm in :-)

Arabian Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Arabian Knight »

I'll be in again

coleridge
Grumpy Old Man

Post by coleridge »

I'll be back.
On the subject of the classy Algerian vs the west ham playmaker I crossed the two and made Feghouli.

Keele United
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Keele United »

So glad to be back....I was getting worried we might loose the game...Anyway Ill take a while to look at the team and throw in my twopence worth at a later time... :D

menace43
Treebeard
FS Record: 1st in OFL double team 2013-14

Post by menace43 »

Good to hear that the game is still on :)
I'll keep an eye on the FISO team!

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

Lamela scored, apparently a good one too. 15-love to Lamela.

the triple c's
Kevin and Perry

Post by the triple c's »

I'm in!

Northernmonkey
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Northernmonkey »

Things are warming up, early days and 6 in the league so far :)
Britinus wrote:Lamela scored, apparently a good one too. 15-love to Lamela.
15-love to Super Kev (free kick) and also Ibe who've also scored. I'm wary of taking too much notice of pre-season friendlies but it can't do any harm, I'm happy with all 3 of these to start. I wouldn''t expect any of them to play every single game, but it's goals and assists that matter. Lamela actually got 16 goals and 10 assists last year if you include the Europa games (he scored 11 in 12 in that competition), plus he featured in 34 premier league games which is good enough for me.

There seems to be a lot of love for Payet, understandably so and I'm going to try and get both him and Mahrez in the absence of a second striker, rather than either or.

So 3 tweaks to the provisional line up, there's scope for another round later if required.

Courtois CHE £4.1m

Bellerin ARS £4.5m
Monreal ARS £4.4m

Smalling MUN £4.5m
Alderweireld TOT £4.4m
Jagielka EVE £4.1m :arrow: Gibson MID £3.5m

Mahrez LEI £5.6m
Mkhitaryan MUN £5.0m
Firmino LIV £5.0m
Sigurdsson SWA £4.6m
Tadic SOU £4.7m :arrow: Payet WHU £5.5m
Mirallas EVE £4.1m
Lamela TOT £4.1m
Ibe BOU £3.8m
Diame HUL £3.5m :arrow: Loftus Cheek CHE £3.4m

Aguero MCY £8.5m

Thinking..

Jagielka :arrow: Gibson goes against my normal thinking, but 1 cheap defender frees up funds. Middlesborough look OK on paper, and any CB sub £4.0m is much of a muchness when it comes to benching.

Tadic :arrow: Payet gives us a solid bunch of premium midfielders to kick off with. Means less surgery needed to get the elusive 2nd striker.

Diame :arrow: Loftus Cheek is a right punt! But I've gone off the idea of any Hull players with Bruce gone, and Conte has been talking up Loftus Cheek as getting games in a more attacking role in their new setup. Chelsea must be keen to bring through a home grown player, and he's also good for freeing up cash and also fixing fixture clashes in a clogged midfield. I think we're all clear on that front until Oct. This seasons Dele Alli? :)

Biscuitman
FISOhead
FS Record: 10th TFFO 2009/10

Post by Biscuitman »

I'm in

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

I think we're all clear on that front until Oct. This seasons Dele Alli? :)

Many in other teams will have him and I did ok last season with him but you've gone with Lamela and Alderwiereld which I think is the right choice.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Original Fantasy League (OFL) Football games”