To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Last Night of The Proms

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Last Night of The Proms

Post by RomynPG »

Haven't watched this for years ... really enjoying it... :)

Nigel Kennedy may be a bit of a knob sometimes but I think you're allowed a bit of leeway when you can entertain like that ... 8-)

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Re: Last Night of The Proms

Post by RomynPG »

... the current sing-a-long might alienate a few I think :lol:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I always enjoy the Last Night.
I've enjoyed most of the whole Proms so far.

lurker
Red & Blue Braces

Post by lurker »

thank Christ its the last night!

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Was scrolling down looking for a suitable thread to post on....

I am actually going to watch some of The Proms tonight and it isn't even the Brexiteeer Last Night bash.

Public Service Broadcasting did an orchestral version of their Race For Space album. Think you can already hear it via 6Music/iPlayer but it is on BBC4 tonight (about 11pm).

Also a 4 part documentary series on Punk starting on Sky Arts at 9pm tonight (what a bizarre concept that would have been in 76/77).

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Seems like they might be dropping Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia from the Last Night of the Proms.

i can almost smell the gammon sizzling already :-)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Quite like those at Last Night and they should stay but the fake patriots will have breakdowns and claim oppression.

Just A Kiwi
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Just A Kiwi »

unc.si. wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 16:30 Seems like they might be dropping Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia from the Last Night of the Proms.

i can almost smell the gammon sizzling already :-)
There may be word changes but apparently this is driven by the conductor herself and not the BBC I understand despite the furore of BBC bashing that is inevitably raging on social media.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018, 2024 Fisodas champion

Post by Spencer4 »

"the Proms will curate a concert that includes familiar, patriotic elements such as Jerusalem and the National Anthem, and bring in new moments capturing the mood of this unique time, including You’ll Never Walk Alone, presenting a poignant and inclusive event for 2020.
The programme will include a new arrangement by Errollyn Wallen of Hubert Parry’s Jerusalem alongside new orchestral versions of Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 “Land of Hope and Glory” (arr. Anne Dudley) and Rule Britannia! as part of the Sea Songs, as Henry Wood did in 1905."

Statement from the beeb

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

It’s not just a Brexit-fest, we’ve seen plenty of EU flags being waved there since the referendum... I just like the atmosphere of it despite the sentiment around some of the songs being somewhat dated.

Anyway, a few word changes should sort it - “Land of Hopeless Tories” etc...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Rule Brittania, Brittania rules the slaves?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I think most people see it for what it is really. Its a bit dated but i can't imagine too many people are genuinely offended. a bit like Swing Low really I guess.
Just the sort of thing that gets social media and the Farragettes going though :-)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

The last night is just a bit odd all round to be honest. A bit like the Boat race. once a year people who would normally have zero interest get very excited, dress up and drink Prosecco.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

There was a time when foreigners in the Boat Race was cheating.....

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

blahblah wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 20:30 There was a time when foreigners in the Boat Race was cheating.....
one word - Yorkshire Cricket

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 20:36
blahblah wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 20:30 There was a time when foreigners in the Boat Race was cheating.....
one word - Yorkshire Cricket
Well 2 :lol:

But more symbolic for rowers (both soundings)?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Spencer4 wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 19:05 "the Proms will curate a concert that includes familiar, patriotic elements such as Jerusalem and the National Anthem, and bring in new moments capturing the mood of this unique time, including You’ll Never Walk Alone, presenting a poignant and inclusive event for 2020.
The programme will include a new arrangement by Errollyn Wallen of Hubert Parry’s Jerusalem alongside new orchestral versions of Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 “Land of Hope and Glory” (arr. Anne Dudley) and Rule Britannia! as part of the Sea Songs, as Henry Wood did in 1905."

Statement from the beeb
so - it was raised, BBC looked at it and came to an agreement that on balance its OK to leave in after some sensible mature discussion,

OR - BRITANNIA SENDS WOKE LEFTIES PACKING (WITH A BIT OF HELP FROM THE SUN)

depending on your point of view :D

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

unc.si. wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 20:46
Spencer4 wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 19:05 "the Proms will curate a concert that includes familiar, patriotic elements such as Jerusalem and the National Anthem, and bring in new moments capturing the mood of this unique time, including You’ll Never Walk Alone, presenting a poignant and inclusive event for 2020.

Statement from the beeb
so - it was raised, BBC looked at it and came to an agreement that on balance its OK to leave in after some sensible mature discussion,

OR - BRITANNIA SENDS WOKE LEFTIES PACKING (WITH A BIT OF HELP FROM THE SUN)

depending on your point of view :D
8-)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

unc.si. wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 20:29 The last night is just a bit odd all round to be honest. A bit like the Boat race. once a year people who would normally have zero interest get very excited, dress up and drink Prosecco.
That classic British drink :wink: Should be warm real ale, gin and Scotch whisky...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”