To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

ANYONE REMEMBER THE 40's and 50's ?

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
035robroy
Grumpy Old Man

ANYONE REMEMBER THE 40's and 50's ?

Post by 035robroy »

I have just joined after lighting upon the site while seeking new blood for my TFF Super League.I run it for my sons and grandsons and their mates Can chat about Wembley war-time internationals and England v Hungary in '53. I was there. Seems quite a long time ago now !

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Re: ANYONE REMEMBER THE 40's and 50's ?

Post by Vid »

I've enough trouble remembering this morning! 40's and 50's well before my time got a few (really) old farts on here though, SUZYKINS?

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Blimey, first time any poster on fiso has made me feel young. I was only being born when wartime internationals were taking place. First game I ever went to was to Maidstone United around '48/49 aged 5 but can still remember being taken by my grandfather. Went to Orient with mates from around '54. Supported Spurs but was a hassle to get there. Remember the deep lying centre forward Heidiguti (?), Puskas and their team but only from the papers and TV clippings. Remember us 9 year olds discussing how the Hungarians played. I was one of the experts based on reading just one or two newspaper articles. :oops:

Spent most of my life from August '66 until recently living and working overseas. The two games which stick most clearly in my memory were firstly Spurs thumping Crewe 13-2 ('61 ish), after Crewe had had the temerity to hold us to a draw. Secondly the last game I ever attended in England for 30 years, the World Cup Final.

But it seems that my memories are those of a mere pup compared to yours. :wink:

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Vid wrote:I've enough trouble remembering this morning! 40's and 50's well before my time got a few (really) old farts on here though, SUZYKINS?
Oi Vid, mind yer manners and show a bit of respect. Were are Distinguished Old Gentlemen (DOGs to you).

Old Farts played with an egg shaped ball in their youth, not with a round one like us.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Age of selection of FISO users

Arsenal

DixieDean 43
Razorback 39
Jagduracell: 35
Ashers 31

Birmingham City

bluenosey 39

Cambridge Utd

fancy dan 40

Celtic

Herc6 21

Chelsea

Vid 49
ctibbits : 35
Dixon 31

Coventry City

The Elkmaster : 54

Crystal Palace

Deppy 39

Hull

Aardvark 56

Leeds

Malrom 58
Surprised : 48
Spencer4 48

Liverpool

Murf 62 :arrow: Eh?
sted 50
paisleypark 45
goldenballs 41
StarMan : 40
Gurn King 69 39
Zimmerman : 37

Luton Town

the dude abides 51

Man Utd

thelip 51
Flyman 49
Jester 48
thebillfella 47
Darbyand 38
mysteryshopper 30
Tacalabala 25

Newcastle

Moist von Lipwig 39

Nottingham Forest

Shaggy365 48
jpk 42
Tricky Tree 41
forestfan 33

Oxford United

bspittles 45

Partick Thistle

mowatson 35

Rangers

barry 34

Sheffield Wednesday

wiseowl65 47
bigsheff 31

Southampton

Knulpuk 42

Swansea

Jack72 39

Tottenham

Beerfuelledman 37
NuttyGeezer 25

Watford

tommymooney 34
gwancarl 32

West Ham

Richt 39

Wigan

Latic 37

Wolves

unc.si. 43
Dennisthemenace 40

Not Declared / Neutral

Joe Kerr 33

age-of-fiso-users-t95548.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Add one year to all those ages.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Ashers wrote:Add one year to all those ages.
two for me tomorrow :wink:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

tommymooney wrote:
two for me tomorrow :wink:

I think it's best to leave them as they are

035robroy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 035robroy »

Amazing ! I was not expecting an instant volley of replies. Some of those young lads mentioned in the age listing and their clubs would make ideal recruits in my Super League if they have a spare credit or two. I shall be attending one of the Football League special matches over the weekend and the club involved was not mentioned in your list. While I was not around in 1888 when it all began, the club was one of the original 12............

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018, 2024 Fisodas champion

Post by Spencer4 »

I'm 49 yer stupid :x or am I, wait a minute....yes I'm sure I am. Better check.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Welcome to the forum robroy.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Take several off mine!

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Maybe we should have a FISO death list?

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

Vid wrote:I've enough trouble remembering this morning! 40's and 50's well before my time got a few (really) old farts on here though, SUZYKINS?
Ta owd :lol:

rossn13
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 12th TFFE 09/10

Post by rossn13 »

sted wrote:Maybe we should have a FISO death list?
http://deathclock.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enjoy :lol:

035robroy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 035robroy »

liked your reference to Heidi Kutey, Striker. and the barrel shaped Puskas who graced Wembley that day. What time was the kick off would you reckon ? There is the old joke about 100.000 grannies being buried that day.
Just remembered the first match I ever saw was Reading v Palace at Elm Park.fairly early during the war.

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

Not to mine, please! :D

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

rossn13 wrote:
sted wrote:Maybe we should have a FISO death list?
http://deathclock.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enjoy :lol:
How cheery :lol:

Plus welcome RobRoy :) . I hear my Dad talk about the late 50s onwards. He tends to look back fondly upon certain eras and will rattle on forever and a day when surrounded with a bunch of blokes born in the same era :lol: . My Nan (on his side) was at the Trautman final of 56. That man was an absolute giant - a true Boys Own hero - even though she would not have cheered the result. How things are different with today's primadonnas falling about all over the show ?

I'm only comparing to the 80's onwards, really, like most on here, as you can see from the list of ages. On a not so fond note, one of my old bosses was from Bolton and even though he wasn't a Bolton fan, a relative of his was at Burnden Park when there was a pretty gruesome crush. He said the crowd were passing bodies over their heads, thinkjng they were still alive, as was common practice with youngsters years and years ago.. A lot had no idea how bad it was until after the game :(

So, I suppose, things move on. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. Please feel free to share any stories. We're quite an enthusiastic bunch on here :)

Plus feel free to enter one of the competitions - teach us young whipper snappers a thing or two :D

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Stick me under Leeds at 51, to make a true European supported team. :D

035robroy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 035robroy »

Good morning readers, especially Striker and Bluenosey. Thanks for the encouraging responses. Yes, it does look as if I might be the one who can personally remember some of the events, pre floodlights, substitutes, shirt numbers etc etc so I will do my best for you and respond when you mention specific teams and events.
The Trautman final of 1956 was the first time I saw an FA Cup final. The most prominent name was REVIE and Man City beat Birmingham City 3-1. It was reckoned that Revie had been inspired by the Hungarian HIDEGKUTI when they demolished England 3 years before.I remember the Bolton disaster of 1946 as only a short while after a certain team from the Midlands carried off the Cup for the only time (so far) I shall watch them on Sunday v BLACKBURN in the final anniversary fixture re the League foundation in 1888.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

The years straight after the war must have been devasting for some clubs. The list of players who lost their lives must have been depressingly long. The ones who survived would have lost a large chunk of their playing days. Was it a case of a level playing field for all the clubs?

035robroy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 035robroy »

Don't really know Jimmy. One player springs to mind, Ted Drake of Arsenal,born in 1912 did not last long as a number 9 after 1945.On the other hand, Tom Finney was only 23 in 1945 and had his plumbing to help out with the £14 or so Preston wages. Tom is still with us and living in Preston, now aged 91. Who is a comparable player to him nowadays ?

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Robert Rankin (author) ran something similar on his facebook account called the Deadpool, where people chose celebrities who would be the next to pop off.

You could do the same with FISO members, a FISO deadpool but that may be in slightly poor taste considering looking at the ages we have a large selection of members over the age of 50.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

jimmy ching wrote:The years straight after the war must have been devasting for some clubs. The list of players who lost their lives must have been depressingly long. The ones who survived would have lost a large chunk of their playing days. Was it a case of a level playing field for all the clubs?
Bernard Joy for us(Afc) illustrates your point well, lost fair bit of his playing time because of the war, but he still holds a record unlikely to be taken from him, last amateur to play for national side, after war became a journalist though think he played 1 season for us.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Here's a history of a club during the war. Interesting read as it gives a flavour of the disorder and effort put in at this time. What chaos. The team is Leeds, as Elland Road was taken over by the Army. After the expisodes of the WW1, there was no way Leeds were going to pay above 30 shillings set as a limit by the government, to turn out for a club.

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/seasons/193946.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SamD
FISO Knight

The memories

Post by SamD »

Don't remember the 1940s, earliest recollection of any significance being the death of George VI in 1952; heard parents and others in Malaya discussing this after they caught a BBC World Service broadcast on crackly shortwave.

Can recall two tenuous sports links to WWII:

- Fred Elson, our company team's fearsome part-time football coach in Paddington during the early 1970s, was a teenager when war broke out; he went on to represent Fulham FC but said this was due to the enlisting of the older pros

- another ex-Fulham player, Jimmy Hill, was a pupil at Henry Thornton Grammar in Clapham Common before the boys and masters were temporarily relocated to Chichester in 1939 for safety reasons; I studied there during the early 1960s but the original school site now holds two new college buildings; Hill remains president of the old Thorntonians' association

035robroy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 035robroy »

Mention of Jimmy Hill. 'The man for all seasons' featured him 'running the line ' at Highbury in 1972 and is pictured on the net. The referee is Pat Partridge from Middlesbrough or thereabouts. Hill of course was the Coventry City saviour in the 60's and a Fulham player before that to say nothing of his TV punditry career.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

C'mon Jimmy Hill. I blame him for the obscene wages people get for pig bladder kicking :wink:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Mind you, I prefer the players getting the money rather than the obscene directors. Many fans see this. All the agents do is educate the players how much money the business will make out of them. Before the maximum wage disappeared, the football business chiefs were laughing.

035robroy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 035robroy »

It looks like the mention of Jimmy Hill was enough to get Jimmy Ching going with him getting in a couple of midnight posts. ?The pig bladder was the same phrase that my mother used regarding the game and the futility of it all............

The FL anniversary proceedings were completed at Pride Park yesterday with a blue plaque for both Rams and Blackburn to fix on their walls. No jokes about a chicken coop please !
The crowd was asked to wave their coloured cards for the Sky audience too. The gate was considerably down on the usual and was well below that of Forest the day before. They are normally very closely matched. It was reckoned that Derby got a slug of cash from Sky for playing on Sunday rather than Saturday. Maybe enough to pick up a bargain Fantasy player.
Back to the 40's and 50's. How about BRITTON CULLIS and MERCER ? Plus LAWTON and Stan of course.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”