To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

F1 specific (chit chat thread)

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

F1, MotoGP & petrolhead chit-chat

Post by Mystery »

JPM did have a suspension failure. His team mate had same thing happen in practice or something.

F1 testing
<cliche mode> well it's always tough to say with all the sandbagging or showing off to sponsors that goes on. </cliche mode>

Ok heres my take
Red Bull have shown nothing but are carrying an eerie level of confidence. They're either fastest or the coolest. Not sure which but I'll guess they're quick.

Quicker than McLaren though?? Just about I think but Ron's boys starting way better than last season.

Then.....maybe Lotus (last year's Renault). They seem to have some speed. Maybe Ferrari - they ...errr... don't. Not really anyway.

Mercedes, Force India, Sauber, Toro Rosso - sort of much of a muchness but I'll guess in about that order. Toro Ross will improve as their drivers gain experience.

Williams hoping to beat Caterham (Lotus as were). Caterham I think hurt themselves badly taking Petrov's cash rather than Trulli's unspectacular steadiness. Kovalienen has never convinced me he has team leader quality. Williams have only pay drivers - shame and I suspect it will show.

Marussia and HRT have been no-shows and will have achieved something making the first race at all. Looking a bit of a shambles really.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Re: F1, MotoGP & petrolhead chit-chat

Post by bluenosey »

Cheers Mystery :) . Not long to wait now til the season opener.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

bluenosey wrote:Cheers Mystery :) . Not long to wait now til the season opener.
Your turn now. What's your assessment?

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

I have delved into my magic balls and the F1 Champion for 2013 will be.

Michael Schumacher

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Achiles74 wrote:I have delved into my magic balls and the F1 Champion for 2013 will be.

Michael Schumacher

What about this year? :D

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:I have delved into my magic balls and the F1 Champion for 2013 will be.

Michael Schumacher

he'll retire at the end of it :wink:

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Mystery wrote:
bluenosey wrote:Cheers Mystery :) . Not long to wait now til the season opener.
Your turn now. What's your assessment?
Hmmm.

At RBR, I think Vettel will be faster but Webber will be rejuvenated and will be much closer, although this could be Mark's last season.

Ferrari seem to be struggling. No good for a class act like Alonso. Massa's last season for me. That accident seems to have taken a bit away from Felippe.

I can see Jenson and Lewis falling out this year :( Jense has the team around him whereas Hamilton looked a bit aloof last year. I do think Mclaren will be closer, helped by the two Englishman egging each other on.

Of the rest, Rosberg (or Rozzzzberg as Brundle calls him) must deliver. Same for Schuey. Or else his comeback will look like a faux pas. In fact, Mercedes must be closer, with their budget.

Force India will be better again. They have a good driver line up. As do Toro Rosso. A Frenchman in F1 again (in fact there are 2) Both will surprise in some races.

Lotus showed good form in practice but will Kimi be arsed ? The potential is there, no doubt and a big break for Grosjean.

The rest ? well, Williams. Need to turn it around. Plenty of South American sponsorship loot to keep things going. Caterham could be closer to the pack and Sauber, hmm, I just don't know.

Game on :D

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

murf wrote:
Moist von Lipwig wrote:

Michael Schumacher

he'll retire at the end of it :wink:
also, I didn't realise he was Belgian.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Really Michael Schumacher will win the World title for Mercedes.
I have always put 100 quid on it at very good odds at a well known high street bookies.

Ferrari has a naff car this year while Vettel and Webber with Red Bull will gain a few podiums but no more (Have not developed this car sufficently).

The 2 contenders will be the 2 Mercedes teams (Mercedes GP and McClaren Mercedes)

Button and Hamilton will take points off each other leading Schumacher to take the title.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Achiles74 wrote:Really Michael Schumacher will win the World title for Mercedes.
I have always put 100 quid on it at very good odds at a well known high street bookies.

Ferrari has a naff car this year while Vettel and Webber with Red Bull will gain a few podiums but no more (Have not developed this car sufficently).

The 2 contenders will be the 2 Mercedes teams (Mercedes GP and McClaren Mercedes)

Button and Hamilton will take points off each other leading Schumacher to take the title.

That post genuinely made me laugh.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

For anyone without sky sports F1 channel, the F1 show is on sky1 NOW.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Seriously ? Whilst he may be better, Rozzberg blew him away last year and the team barely managed a podium.

He's past it. He could have made the come back years ago, when F1 was less physical but he's lost his edge. He's also lost that psychological edge he had over most of his rivals. The mystique, it's all gone.

Not many come back and suceed. Only Lauda has pulled it off.

I have to be honest - I hope he fails spectacularly.

Adelaide 94
Jerez 97

Say no more :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Achiles74 wrote:Really Michael Schumacher will win the World title for Mercedes.

Quote = false (apart from)
red = correct
orange = partially correct.
green = if Schumacher = Rosberg, the better Mercedes driver.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Nope Schuey will have a excellent season.
Does he need the money? Nope, Success? Already got plenty of it.

Schuey is a winner this Mercedes car has been built around him, Rosberg is purely a No2 (Think Irvine or Barrichello).

This is why Schumacher will take the F1 crown this year, apart from Alonso with Massa,Mercedes are the only top team running a no1 and No2 drivers.

The drivers at Red Bull and McLaren are both on equal terms while Vettel has won 2 championships he is not No1 to Webber.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Achiles74 wrote:Nope Schuey will have a excellent season.

Schuey is a winner this Mercedes car has been built around him, Rosberg is purely a No2 (Think Irvine or Barrichello). Irvine or Barrichello couldn't beat their team mate Schuey on a regular basis, Rosberg does. 13-6 last year, qualifying was a similar story

This is why Schumacher will take the F1 crown this year, apart from Alonso with Massa,Mercedes are the only top team running a no1 and No2 drivers. True

The drivers at Red Bull and McLaren are both on equal terms while Vettel has won 2 championships he is not No1 to Webber.
If you believe that then you are truely naive - how did that turn out for Vettel and Webber last year?

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:Nope Schuey will have a excellent season.

Schuey is a winner this Mercedes car has been built around him, Rosberg is purely a No2 (Think Irvine or Barrichello). Irvine or Barrichello couldn't beat their team mate Schuey on a regular basis, Rosberg does. 13-6 last year, qualifying was a similar story

This is why Schumacher will take the F1 crown this year, apart from Alonso with Massa,Mercedes are the only top team running a no1 and No2 drivers. True

If you believe that then you are truely naive - how did that turn out for Vettel and Webber last year?
Schuey was adjusting to modern F1.
He has now adjusted.

Watch him get fired up and go go go go

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Once more, I disagree, Just sign on the dotted line if you wish, we can put a bit of interest into it. :)
I agree to enter into a small wager for the sum of £20, the wager being Michael Schumacher will win the Formula 1 Drivers Championship for Mercedes in 2012. Moist von Lipwig wagers he will not, Achillies74 wagers he will. Bet to be paid in cash by registered post at the point the wager is mathematically won.

I hereby agree to the above terms.

Participant A - Moist von Lipwig
Participant B - .......................

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:Once more, I disagree, Just sign on the dotted line if you wish, we can put a bit of interest into it. :)
I agree to enter into a small wager for the sum of £20, the wager being Michael Schumacher will win the Formula 1 Drivers Championship for Mercedes in 2012. Moist von Lipwig wagers he will not, Achillies74 wagers he will. Bet to be paid in cash by registered post at the point the wager is mathematically won.

I hereby agree to the above terms.

Participant A - Moist von Lipwig
Participant B - .......................
Odds are against me somewhat.
How about you put up a title winner other than a German driver to win the F1 crown then?

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Achiles74 wrote: Odds are against me somewhat. How about you put up a title winner other than a German driver to win the F1 crown then?
But that's been the whole thrust of your point. Did you say that to this lot? :wink:

No matter, he's off to a good start anyway.

Although he is 'cheating' :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17412581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Wherever Schuey and Brawn go hand in hand there is always a cheating issue.

Moist, Achiles, I take it no wager was placed ?

Achiles, if you were that confident on Schuey surely you wouldn't have wanted odds, just laid the bet ?

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

I think it's more of a Brawn issue actually. In between the Schuey years remember he created the double diffuser which made the first half of Jenson's championship year a walkover.

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

Was too lazy to get up for qualifying but just caught up with it now.

Thoroughly enjoyable!! Looking foward to the race tomorrow.

Delighted to see both Ferrari's going out in Q2. Alonso is a cock.
Brilliant work from McLaren, great to see Lewis and Jenson hogging the front row.
Pleased to see Webber out-qualify Vettel

Interested to see if Lotus (and RedBull) procede with their appeal against Mercedes. The rear wing stalling device (although seemingly perfectly legit) seems to have claim for debate. Martin Whitmarsh said he has no problems with it, but Eric Boullier (Lotus) said they'd be taking it to the stewards. With Grojean out performing both Mercs, he'd (Boullier) be better off spending his energy kicking Kimi Raikkonen up the arse. That was poor today from the Fin.

I expected more from Sauber, disappointed neither made Q3, but with one Torro Rosso, one Force India, one Williams and one Lotus all making Q3, it seems the field/pack is pretty evenly matched and should make for an excellent race tomorrow.

We can probably expect (on the basis of today) that 4 quali spots are open every race, with 6 teams (12 drivers) battling for those 4 spots in Q3 (top 10) - STR, Lotus, Ferrari, Sauber, Williams, and force India. This should make the middle pack of the race just as interesting as the front runners 8-) , with Williams being my tip to become the '5th' best team.

Improvements to be made. Certainly think Caterham and Marussia expected better, HRT should just pull out (not that I think the stewards will let them race). Only 13th and 17th for Sauber as well, they'll be disappointed with that. Bruno Senna looked terrific in Q1 but made a costly mistake in Q2 meaning he didn't qualify for Q1 and starts 14th. He'll make Q3 in the future for sure, and I expect him and Maldonado (8th) to do well for Williams this season.

All in all, a great qualifying session, great start to the season and looking forward to the race tomorrow 8-)

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

bluenosey wrote:Moist, Achiles, I take it no wager was placed ?

Achiles, if you were that confident on Schuey surely you wouldn't have wanted odds, just laid the bet ?
nah, was just a spur of moment thing as he seemed so certain. How about just a bit of fun then, if Schumacher wins the drivers title I'll start a thread in non football sports chat titled "Achilies74 officially knows more about sport then me - please laugh". If Schuey doesn't win then Achilies, you start one there titled "I officially know nothing about sport" To be done the day after the title is decided. You on?

Given our respective perceptions by others on this forum I'd say I've got way more to lose :D

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Good bet Moist. Though you might as well bet against me winning Miss World.

Just watched quali. Underperformance from Red Bull, Force India and Kimi. Strong effort from Grosjean and Maldonado (still a pay driver for me for now though)

Suspect this is us for the season already. Like me in TFF if McLaren have it right at the start of the season the rest won't catch up. The McMercs seemed to have something in hand.

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

Good morning race fans :D

10 mins to go!

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Damm you to Hell Rupert Murdoch!!!

(stuck at work with no SKY) :(

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

**Spoilers ahead**

Button got the jump on Lewis at the start, McLaren still 1,2.

OUT - Schumacher (gearbox), Grojean and Hulkenberger both involved in separate shunts.

Vettel up to 3rd, Roseberg 4th but lacking race pace holding up Alonoso and Webber who are crawling all over him.

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

The luckier pit stop for Jenson should be enough to see him through now. Hopefully Lewis can hold off Vetel who in turn, is putting in a good drive.

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

And Vetel gets lucky again (safety car this time). Is there anyone more annoying than him :roll:

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

Team and driver Summary

McLaren will have mixed feelings. Delighted to see Jenson win but the safety car played it's part is nudging Hamilton down into 3rd. Lewis may not have come out ahead of Vettel anyway following their second stop, but the safety car helped play it right into Vettel's hands.
RedBull found some race pace. Webber and Vettel both drove well but both benefitted from the safety car. Webber with a PB at his home GP.
Mercedes had a really disappointing day. Rosberg just looked like he didn't have any race pace at all, and with Schuey retiring early on due to gearbox problems, their bad day was compounded when Nico retired on the final lap.
Ferrari will be delighted with the efforts of Alonso. No other driver would have brought home that Ferrari in such lofty position. Tyre degredation seems to be a huge issue for them, and the form of Massa is a major concern. He got himself involved in another on-track battle that led to his retirement - not that he'd have scored points anyway.
Williams will be gutted. Maldonado drove a brilliant race and pushed Alonso right to the end looking for 5th spot, only to shank it into the wall on the last lap!! Senna had a poor qualifying and a poor race, but I think there is much more to come from the Williams
Lotus can count their lucky stars as Kimi Raikkonen managed to crawl all the way up to 7th (picking up two fortunate places on the last lap). Kimi drove a good race to be fair to him, but I felt sorry for Grosjean as he crashed out very early on following a second row start.
Sauber didn't qualify well but they obviously have decent race pace and a very reliable car as Kobayashi (6th) and Perez (8th) both finish in the points. Both benefitted from Rosberg and Maldonado retiring at the end, but they won't worry about that. Strategy wise, they got it spot on with Perez who may have finished higher if it wasn't for the safety car.
STR managed to bring home two cars as well, with Ricciardo nicking 9th. Vergne came 11th so you'd imagine they are just short of top 10 at the mo, given the retirements. Reliability looks good though.
Force India hung on in there and Di Resta picked up the final point for 10th spot. Hulk went out fairly early but they look really short of pace to me.
Caterham had two retirements so won't be pleased, although they did get through most of the race!
Marussia did ok, a long way off the pace, but both cars finished!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”