To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

One Year Ago Today I Won The House What Happened Next

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy Investment Games (e.g. Fantasy Stocks and Shares Portfolio competitions)
timmsy
Grumpy Old Man
Location: It's obstruse to deduce that I've found my soulmate at the age of 17
FS Record: Won one more house than CY

One Year Ago Today I Won The House What Happened Next

Post by timmsy »

So as I think a lot if not most of you know I won a Channel4 competition (sponsored by a property investment company) with a prize of a house in Spain see my avatar

Now I had won one competition before the OFL Champions League one when it was worth around 3k but clearly nothing of this magnitude

To say I'd had a tough couple of years due mostly to my accountant giving me poor advice when I started my own business would be an understatement, I was existing not living (making a bit of extra income gambling fortunately)

So this was a Godsend now imagine a few weeks have passed, property prices have started to fall and I can see my win diminishing by the day but it will still change my life

A few more weeks go by and I get a voicemail message from my contact at the company sponsoring the competition to tell me everything is fine and my prize is unaffected!

Unaffected by what? now I knew the company that had put the prize up had problems but a quick search showed it had been put into administration the night before the message

My heart sank as I set to work trying to find out if and how it would progress, I immediately read the rules on the website looked for any disclaimer and got hold of a lawyer, as well as seeking advice from Andy (12345678) if anyone knew about prizes and rules it was him

I couldn't see any note that Channel4 didn't have to provide the prize but I knew it was a very grey area, the next 2-3 months went on with phone calls and emails between me, the parent company and Channel4

It seemed as if I was going to get the property but all the time I really wanted the cash, I had asked on numerous occasions, stating the change in the properties values, but the rules were the rules and it was still highly likely I'd get nothing, one day I asked again and the real set up of the sponsorship became apparent

Channel4 had the money on deposit in a bank account the funds to be released to the sponsors when I had ownership of the property in Spain, they agreed as did the sponsors to let me have the cash, I was expecting an offer of around £90,000, Channel4 who during the whole process were first class agreed to pay the original figure of 130k :lol: :lol:

It was the day before my birthday and my Wife and I were in Edinburgh for the festival we walked along George Street to the cashpoint, I put my card in and the numbers kept on going, she had to go in the bank and sit down before she fell down

We walked over to Harvey Nicks and got the lift up to the top floor, two glasses of Champagne on the bar and we looked out across Edinburgh with the biggest grins you have ever seen, from there I took her next door to Armani, with times being tough she'd been so careful but I got her to try a great suit on, she stood there trying to decide between the trousers and the skirt when I said we'd take both it was a real delight (the assistant looked pretty pleased too :wink: )

I always loved Edinburgh but I'll never forget those few days 8-)

PS I'd done all my National betting but I had to have a little dabble on Offshore Account today :wink:

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Re: One Year Ago Today I Won The House What Happened Next

Post by Spencer4 »

Great stuff, good to see a nice guy win. I read that with a horrible sense that it had all gone tits up, pleased I was wrong.

timmsy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by timmsy »

Thanks Spence multiply that dread by a hundred and you've still no idea how much I was worried about it

Tell you what though it was even sweeter if that's possible

The hardest bit was deciding not tell the Wife (she's a worrier "not a Warrior" or she'd be banned :lol: ) and try to carry on as if all was normal

I did tell her about halfway through the saga when I knew some facts

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Pleased it all worked out ok in the end for you timmsy.
I can't imagine the nightmare you must have been through with this and other things and it's fantastic too see that you got a nice wad of cash from this at the end.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Brilliant, well done in the pursuing. Have a great time. :lol:

NFG
Grumpy Old Man

Post by NFG »

Nice to hear a happy ending for a change in these gloomy times.
Sounds like a real life changer. :D

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

nice one mate 8-)

the doc
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2012 Champion John Morrison Elite FA Cup

Post by the doc »

nice timmsy....just don't bet it all :wink:

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Thanks for the update Timmsy - it really is great to hear it turned out so well! :D :D

Good news like this is always welcome - and certain to get a few replies!! :wink:

timmsy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by timmsy »

Well a few people had asked what the house was like and I'll always been vague especially as I've never seen it :lol:

Initially I wasn't allowed to tell and then I decided to reveal all on the anniversary

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Enjoy, and don't blow the cash!

SamD
FISO Knight

A year on

Post by SamD »

Really glad to hear of the pleasant outcome, timmsy.

On a personal note, feel nostalgic about the competition and coincidences as:

- happened to set up introductory thread when game was launched by Channel 4

- official result was announced on birthday morning so was even more happy to exchange correspondence through FISO before dashing to celebratory lunch with family.

For what it's worth, whenever National falls on b'day, own selection seems to go well. So hoping for novice stayer at other end of age spectrum, Big Fella Thanks, at 22/1, to overcome obstacles and make day even more memorable...

timmsy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by timmsy »

Happy Birthday Sam for obvious reasons your up there as my favourite FISO'er along with my mate Andy :wink:

I may have found the competition anyway as OFL email me with new comps. but then I may have missed it altogether, what I can categorically say is your post changed my life for the better thank you

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Pleased it all worked out for you Timmsy but isn't it about time you changed your avatar from the house to a great big, fat, juicy wadge of cash?

mephisto
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The end is where we start from

Post by mephisto »

Well done Timmsy, excellent news, what a result. Hope you enjoy it and your business perks up too. Congrats Randal

Pincher
Grumpy Old Crab
FS Record: Allys Tartan Army

Post by Pincher »

Congratulations Timmsy. Happy for you. :) 4th April is a good day for birthday's Sam and Edinburgh ain't a bad city either. :wink: .

Even a Spanish connection here, though I doubt the "house" would have been in BCN. I guess if you sit on the cash a little longer Timmsy you'll be able to get yourself a real bargain wherever you would like to have a house - prices dropping like stones around here, and likely to do so for another 18mths - Spain is going to have a longer depression than northern Europe they predict.

Not sure how I do on the National on my birthday, but the wife picked Big Fella Thanks - I have more on Rambling Minster and kilbeggan Blade myself. Good luck to all.

The Councillor
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: locally fantastic - nationally cack

Post by The Councillor »

brill story ! - my missus has similar good fortune in winning a car on NYE in a prize draw and the cash equivanlent was a real bonus for us....not on your scale obviosuly but enjoy the cash bonanza big time !!

dingram041
Dumbledore
FS Record: I've won a lot but proud to have been 7 balled my friend Milan Gajic. RIP xx

Post by dingram041 »

What a lovely lovely lovely story......well done Timmsy....FANTASTIC!!!!!! :D

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Investments”