To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Bobby Fetta - charting my failures

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Bobby Fetta - charting my failures

Post by Bobby Fetta »

GW35 plan

Wait for the fixture reschedulement. What a painful season this has been.

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

Is it absolutely a given that any rearranging will be announced before the GW35 deadline? FPL presumably doesn’t figure in any ongoing discussion about how to sort out remaining fixtures.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

No of course not. Anyway, I'm not making any predictions :D but they haven't got much time left have they?

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

No but they wouldn't put an extra game into gw 35 once 35 has started I wouldn't have thought.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

The fixture gets rearranged by the PL not FPL. I know FPL have shown complete disregard for PL gameweeks, but there's nothing FPL can do if the PL don't agree the date until the GW has started and then plonk the fixture in the middle of gw35. Would be in keeping with this season! But as I said, there's so little time left that surely they will want to get it all sorted ASAP

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

If there’s no announcement ahead of the gw35 deadline I might just captain (single-game) Salah anyway on the basis that the outstanding fixture may subsequently be plonked in exactly as you describe...

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

TheRumourMill wrote: No but they wouldn't put an extra game into GW35 once 35 has started I wouldn't have thought.
They'd have no choice. By moving the GW36 deadline back unnecessarily (and diverging from the official PL Matchweeks) they have left themselves with absolutely nowhere to go. The United/Liverpool scheduling will be awaiting agreement regarding broadcasting for GW37 because for it to be Monday 17/5 (the only way Liverpool get a DGW36 rather than DGW35) would require their GW37 games to go back to Thursday 20/5. And if not then WBA/Liverpool MUST go into GW35, giving Liverpool a DGW35.

Had FPL stuck with the PL Matchweeks it would all be much simpler.
Bobby Fetta wrote: GW35 plan: wait for the fixture reschedulement. What a painful season this has been.
So true. The experience of waiting week after week on fixture re-arrangements before you can reasonably think about your team and with no certainty whether they will appear in time anyway leeches a lot of pleasure out of the game and reduces it to some kind of attritional exercise. One might even say masochistic. :(

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

I am contemplating giving the captains arm band to Mo, based on my hunch they get the DGW35.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Fortunately for me this is all much less stressful than last week was!

I don’t think the scheduling bit is too tricky this time, it’s a binary choice. Getting extra police/security agreed is the main issue. But the habit has been for announcements to be delayed until after any given week’s European games and so I am not expecting anything until after Manchester United have played on Thursday.
I also don’t completely de-couple the Premier League from FPL. FPL is one of their main marketing tools and it is the PL site we visit on a daily basis, and I can see no reason for delaying the announcement unless it is to wrong foot protesters. That’d be a pretty extreme response from an industry that is used to managing tens of thousands of tribal fans each week.

As for what to do for FH, as someone who went through it last week, have plans for both scenarios sketched out. It was the only way that I managed a half-decent wildcard. But this is much easier to prepare for, isn’t it?

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 05 May 2021, 07:59
TheRumourMill wrote: No but they wouldn't put an extra game into GW35 once 35 has started I wouldn't have thought.
They'd have no choice. By moving the GW36 deadline back unnecessarily (and diverging from the official PL Matchweeks) they have left themselves with absolutely nowhere to go. The United/Liverpool scheduling will be awaiting agreement regarding broadcasting for GW37 because for it to be Monday 17/5 (the only way Liverpool get a DGW36 rather than DGW35) would require their GW37 games to go back to Thursday 20/5. And if not then WBA/Liverpool MUST go into GW35, giving Liverpool a DGW35.

Had FPL stuck with the PL Matchweeks it would all be much simpler.
Bobby Fetta wrote: GW35 plan: wait for the fixture reschedulement. What a painful season this has been.
So true. The experience of waiting week after week on fixture re-arrangements before you can reasonably think about your team and with no certainty whether they will appear in time anyway leeches a lot of pleasure out of the game and reduces it to some kind of attritional exercise. One might even say masochistic. :(
Yeah I guess you're right :-/ that really would be a bitter pill to swallow and I think a lot of people would be hacked off at that decision, would make the game a lottery. It's bad enough having fixtures drop out of a gameweek post deadline, but at least we have a bench to partially help with that. Having fixtures added in would be unprecedented and also actively reward poor planners, ghost teams, those who have missed the deadline and others who don't pay attention. I suppose at least the pain would be offset slightly by watching fpl Twitter go into meltdown :lol:

Completely agree on the matchweek /gameweek differentiation. Rediculous decision really, completely illogical. I suppose that was unprecedented aswell. Thinking about it, most of this season has been unprecedented so I don't know why I'm surprised! Hopefully they've learnt from this and don't pull that stunt again.

Yeah waiting for fixture reschedulement is the pits. After a poor start I quite enjoyed weeks 4-10, then I got shafted by villa Newcastle being postponed. 13-15 I enjoyed, then got shafted again in weeks 16-19 by covid postponements. 20-22 was ok and we had dgw announcements in good time which at least have fair warning to plan. Was stressful though as although the dgw 24 and 25 announcements were in good time 26 wasn't. I'd say that in this period i enjoyed how the gameweeks played out but the planning less so that normal due to the uncertainty weighing on my mind. 27-30 was good, the wildcard a success in 31 as thankfully we knew what was going on in 32 and 33 before the 31 deadline. The last couple of weeks has been stressful though waiting to see what happenned with 35 and 36* and we are still waiting.

So overall I think it's been 50% of the season playing and planning fpl normally, 20% of the season being screwed by covid postponements, and 30% contingency playing and waiting to see how fixtures are rescheduled. Far more gameweeks than usual have had to be played as a "hold" where we wait for more info, rather than attacking them with the knowledge that what comes beyond is certain. It's been less a game of spotting a player based on his skill and stats and more one of a mathematical problem where we are trying to find the optimal solution in terms of maximising the no. of minutes played by our fpl assets as a whole.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Smurphy's Paw wrote:As for what to do for FH, as someone who went through it last week, have plans for both scenarios sketched out. It was the only way that I managed a half-decent wildcard. But this is much easier to prepare for, isn’t it?
Yeah, been thinking to do that. But the truth is I will do it in a cursory way because my heart won't be in it. Personally I am finding it hard to be enthusiastic about yet another set of maybes.
TheRumourMill wrote:Far more gameweeks than usual have had to be played as a "hold" where we wait for more info, rather than attacking them with the knowledge that what comes beyond is certain. It's been less a game of spotting a player based on his skill and stats and more one of a mathematical problem where we are trying to find the optimal solution in terms of maximising the no. of minutes played by our FPL assets as a whole.
Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. :(

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

So the mythical TGW has finally materialised and I don't think anyone saw it coming, including the fixture gurus? (Certainly I didn't!)

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man

Post by TheRumourMill »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 05 May 2021, 21:11 So the mythical TGW has finally materialised and I don't think anyone saw it coming, including the fixture gurus? (Certainly I didn't!)
No, its refreshing to see Crellin knocked off his pedestal.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

I was so busy at work today that I ended up with 2 minutes to make my transfers, without having had a chance to properly plan them beforehand. So did a rushed: Rudiger to TAA; Son to Jota. For some reason I'd forgotten I'd made a transfer last week so it was for a hit, not for free as I'd been thinking until hitting confirm. Real amateur hour! Not convinced at all by those moves. Looking forward to selling Vardy next week

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

gw35 review

119 (-4) pts, a tiny green up to 120k.

Successes: Martinez, TAA, Holgate (eventually although the surprise benching in the first match was annoying), Jota, Salah, Bruno (c), Iheanacho
Failures: Shaw (2pts in a TGW), James (thanks Jorginho!), Lingard (why did I play him),
Annoyances: Vardy (7pts but success for him would have made much more difference in my rank than those who did do well); 20pts on my bench - I just know it will do nothing this week when I need it

Transfers: Son(7)+Rudiger(2) to TAA(16) and Jota(10) comfortably paid the 4 pt hit. I had considered a third move of Raphinha to Greenwood but effectively it would have cost two hits so I didn't do it. However, if I had, I would still be 10pts up and inside the top 100k.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

gw36 preview

Transfers: Bruno and Vardy to Son and Kane (-4). Hard to see how it can backfire this week but next week is another matter. I am 0.1m short of going back to Bruno, so that option is likely to be the annoyance next week.

Team: can't be bothered to type it out but I only have 11 and that is relying on Vydra, Holgate, Raphinha et al actually playing. Salah captain.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

gw36 review

51pts (-4) and another grey arrow. I am at 120k still.

Successes - Salah (c), Kane, Raphinha, TAA
Failures - Holgate, Jota injury meant I played with 10, the rest

My objectives now seem to be:
- finish in top 1% - about 22pts off so would pretty much require a miracle, given the similarity of squads now
- finish in top 100k - about 11pts off, so more achievable
- finish above Smurphy's Paw :D - we seem to be almost level at the moment, which is the only reason I have for any competitiveness

gw37 plan, such as it is (not really a plan yet!)

Jota to Greenwood is the popular move
Son to Bruno is possible now due to price changes, but not if I make the Jota move
Jota to someone cheaper and upgrade Vydra/Iheanacho (for a hit, or just leave Jota rotting)
Leeds and West Ham seem to have the best (and identical) fixtures. Leeds have the bit between their teeth though, whereas WHU seem to be crawling over the finish line.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

:mrgreen:

You’d better PM me a link to your team then for any victory to have meaning!

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Bobby Fetta wrote:Jota to Greenwood is the popular move
Son to Bruno is possible now due to price changes, but not if I make the Jota move
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would bring in a United player now. GW38 is 3 days before the EL Final. Bruno surely won't start and Greenwood may not either.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Well United do have the best fixture in gw37, Bruno is the highest scorer in the game this year and Greenwood is on a great run of scoring, including blighting tgw35 for me. Plus Solsjaer alnost never rests his key players

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Looking at the options again:

General approach
I want players with something to play for. In the normal sense that would limit it to Leicester, Chelsea and Liverpool. But I think the return of crowds will also have an impact. I prefer a player with a home game in gw38 for the potential of a final day of the season rout.

Forwards
The only forwards I am considering are Bamford (sou WBA) and Antonio (wba SOU). I like their home games on the last day of the season. Could be a party atmosphere in front of the home fans at last, both celebrating successful seasons. Against teams with fragile defences.
Bamford - As I said earlier, Leeds seem to be fighting to the end of the season. I'm not too concerned about Bamford being subbed off early, just means he is a bit more rested.
Antonio - As ever, has been putting up very impressive stats but has been less impressive at turning that into goals. Guaranteed to play, until he gets injured again.
Selling - If I sell Vydra I can make the move for either with a single transfer (Vydra has the prime Sheff United fixture last up but Burnley are safe now so seem to have eased up, plus Vydra is not very good). To get both for the last game (and sell Iheanacho), I'd need to raise 0.4m elsewhere and take a hit, so I'm not sure that is worthwhile.

Midfielders
I have 1.9m in the bank but I'm not really convinced by any of the options. City midfield lottery, Harrison, Pereira, Willock / Saint-Maximim seem to be the favoured options across the FFS RMT, FPL Review and Transfer Algorithm models. I do like the idea of Mane, but that involves hits and selling Son.

In summary, not really sure. Probably just Vydra to Antonio. Maybe downgrade Jota to one of the Newcastle players if I'm feeling adventurous tomorrow, to give money in the bank for a gw38 punt.

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

So much love for mane now i was going to bring him in when i WC in 36 but did't know jota was injured at the time sigh

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

So I did Vydra to Antonio and Jota to Willock in the end. Again, didn't have time to properly decide. These Friday afternoon deadlines are a killer for me this season.

As it turns out, the gameweek has not started well. Clearly Bamford was the player to get. Shaw has been a total waste of space in my team. Iheanacho on my bench. I already seem to be 14pts down for the week, so maybe top 200k was a more realistic target...

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

It’s how it ends up. Both of those could still do well.

Agree on Shaw though. I switched AWB out for him and am down quite a few points!

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 18 May 2021, 22:01 So I did Vydra to Antonio and Jota to Willock in the end. Again, didn't have time to properly decide. These Friday afternoon deadlines are a killer for me this season.
Just imagine had it been Tuesdays.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

From4corners wrote: 18 May 2021, 22:48 Just imagine had it been Tuesdays.
:lol: This is indicative of how scrambled my brain was yesterday!

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 19 May 2021, 21:54
From4corners wrote: 18 May 2021, 22:48 Just imagine had it been Tuesdays.
:lol: This is indicative of how scrambled my brain was yesterday!
:D Good moves. :wink:

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

From4corners wrote: 19 May 2021, 22:05 :D Good moves. :wink:
Was never in doubt :D , I'm a genius! Should have taken more hits for such sure fire successes as sub £5m Newcastle loanees

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

GW37 review

52pt (-4). Rank down slightly to 125k. GW pretty much saved by the Antonio (Lingard) goal just now, providing an extra 12pts. Oh and Willock too. Without the transfers I'd have been in all kinds of bother.

Salah blanking is annoying, plus several other near misses and mistakes (e.g. keeping James over Rudiger for his attacking threat; penny-pinching to get Holgate and missing out on all these Everton clean sheets; buying Son last week; Luke Shaw; the phantom Bruno assist; not owning Bamford or Dallas; having the wrong Liverpool defender again).

I'm now 14pts off the top 100k so need a big final day. I feel like that is difficult as my team seems pretty template. But that didn't stop me from dropping a lot of points on the crowd until the 88th minute, so maybe all hope isn't lost.

Current plan is Son to Mane. I can afford only one price change for them but would prefer to wait for injury news first. My defence is looking very thin too but I'll probably just have to suck that up.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

GW38 lineup as it stands

Martinez (CHE)
TAA (CRY) James (avl) Shaw (wol)
Salah (CRY) Son (lei) Lingard (SOU) Raphinha (WBA)
Kane (lei) Antonio (SOU) Iheanacho (TOT)

Forster (whu) Willock (ful) Coady (MUN) Holgate (mci)

As above, I have 2.2m in the bank which just gives me enough for Son to Mane, which seems the clear best move logically. But maybe I need to be more creative to make up some ground?

The weaknesses in the team are:
- GK but no way I'm using my transfer on that position
- James and Shaw - may not play and my bench defenders are very weak. But, again, a transfer on a defender feels a waste at this stage
- Son and Kane - Spurs look in disarray. Would prefer Bamford to Kane but surely it is not worth a hit. I might have been tempted by the sentimental Aguero pick if it wasn't for his injury

Which is a long way of saying Son to Mane. Looks like the price changes could happen tonight (FPLstats, not FFFix). Probably won't but it is a risk

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”