To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Bobby Fetta - charting my failures

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Bobby Fetta - charting my failures

Post by Bobby Fetta »

GW29 plan

Robertson to Dunk
Salah to Auba
Gundogan to Raphinha
(-4)

Other options for that third transfer are:
Gundogan to Bale
DCL to Antonio

That would leave me with 10 players, unless Son makes another one of his miraculous recoveries. This is a one week only move as I plan to use my wildcard next week.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

gw29 review

Another bad week. 45pts and another red arrow. Went with the plan above, which paid off but should have been more adventurous and dealt with Son too.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

GW30 wildcard plan

So I've gone a week early with this, as discussed on the dedicated wildcard thread. My current thinking is:

GK1: Mendy or Martinez. I'm very reluctant to sell Martinez, who I've owned all season. But Chelsea's defence under Tuchel has been unbelievably good.
GK2: Forster. Cheap and likely to have a DGW. Strictly back-up

DF1: Dias. The most likely City defender to play. City defence has slipped a bit recently but still very good.
DF2: Azpilicueta. Has played nearly every game for Tuchel. Less attacking threat than James or Alonso but seems less of a rotation risk.
DF3: Rudiger. Again has played most games and is cheap.
DF4: Shaw. I have been a Shaw-sceptic for a long time (mainly because he looks so chunky) but he really does seem to have upped his game and is playing with confidence. Assist threat, United defence is pretty solid and cheap price.
DF5: Stones / Cancelo / TAA / Semedo / Tierney / Struijk. The open slot. Feels like lots of good options across the whole price range.

MF1: Fernandes. No explanation necessary.
MF2: Salah (probably). I'm not fully convinced as Liverpool are so inconsistent at the moment, but still seems the best option here.
MF3: Gundogan. He's still getting into those goal-scoring positions in the six yard box. At that price, seems an obvious choice.
MF4: Raphinha. Such a good player and fun to watch too (not valid FPL reasons to get him). Has the plum match against Sheffield United then some harder matches before a nice end to the season. At his price can easily bench him when necessary.
MF5: Smith-Rowe (or other base price rotter). I shouldn't need this slot, although I may have money available its already looking like a selection nightmare from the other players.

FW1: Kane. Keeps getting the points, despite Spurs appearing to be on a downward spiral. Possibility of a double in gw32.
FW2: Antonio. I've never managed to own him this season, despite always being on my watchlist (has got injured or had tricky fixtures whenever I've had a slot free). Keeps putting up monster xG stats, West Ham still look decent, have nice fixtures and something to play for.
FW3: Iheanacho. Not just because of the last two matches. He's always had great stats but just hasn't played enough. But with the goals and Leicester injuries, surely gets a decent run of games now. Tricky first two matches but then a great run of games. Vardy struggling for form at the moment makes it hard to justify the extra 4.5m spend but of course that could change quickly. I could get Bamford for the Sheff United game and then switch but I don't like baking in transfers.

Despite my terrible squad value, that still probably leaves me around £2m in the bank, depending on the defender choice. Money doesn't seem like a big issue at the moment with all the cheap players doing well.

Other players on my shortlist:
MF: Mahrez, Jota, Mount, Soucek
FW: DCL, Bamford, Vardy

As mentioned, other than MF5 this is a very strong squad which will make team selection difficult each week. My original thought was that this allows me to pick 6 players from the rotation heavy Chelsea and Man City and cope with the inevitable benchings (indeed perhaps I should be more adventurous and get Alonso instead of Azpi). It also allows me to bench players like Raphinha or Iheanacho when they have more difficult fixtures. But attacking rotation is so hard to get right (or rather goes wrong so often).

My main concern is that this squad would have been awesome for the last 10gws. Am I just reacting too slowly to chase points that have already disappeared down the plug hole?

Not sure if anyone actually reads this any more, but all thoughts and criticisms welcome!

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

Mount over ESR for me but yea that would be a rotation headache

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

I read it Bobby
I’m trying to have a few days away from FPL. I was getting a bit ground down by the relentless schedule of matches and so there’s no real thought in my response though!
What I would say for now is that I recognise the rationale for many of the choices from when I picked my, somewhat tongue in cheek, £114M team a few days ago. The teams and their current known schedules have a certain logic. Have you taken Europe into consideration too?

I’m likely to focus a bit more in a few days once GW32 rescheduled games have been reconfirmed. You’re bound to finesse this, I’ll keep an eye out.

For now, on rotation: Surely it’s better to have, for example, Mount and enjoy the games where he returns when you have played him? I appreciate that it’s about proximity and it hurts more when there are points scored by someone you could have played. But he’s still achieved the same returns whether in your squad or not.
(Although you’re not allowed to quote this back to me next time I whine about points on my bench)

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I find it truly dire; a deceased wildcard (or is it 'resting'?). :!: Not sure whether that should encourage or discourage you. :lol:

Not one of your midfielders (with the possible exception of Bruno) would make my WC. It seems like a set of players that might hurt me rather than a squad designed to beat everyone else. Far too reliant on the Europe teams and with insufficient forward perspective; for example fast-forward to GW31 and Wolves, Leicester, Arsenal are looking great and where are they in your team apart from Iheanacho? Instead you have Raphinha (why?), triple Chelsea defence (why, oh why?), Martinez (are you kidding?), Gündoğan (it's GW29, not GW19!) and Salah (not exactly the form pick, is he?). To my perspective it's about as bad as it could be; a pre-wildcard wildcard. :lol:

OK, so perhaps I am exaggerating a bit (I had the parrot sketch in mind) but there's a grain of truth amongst the chaff maybe? I'd suggest constructing a squad with no players from teams left in Europe - no City, Chelsea, Liverpool, United or Arsenal - because you will uncover some really good options in doing so. Then have a serious think about those 5 teams, their schedules and the Europe effect (QFs begin during GW30) and decide which of their players are worth including, what the associated risks are and what that means for team structure (do you need a stronger bench, for example?). And then back-engineer those into your draft.

All in all, any wildcard now that isn't purely designed to tread water must take some positions against high-owned teams and/or players and in favour of teams/players you think will have a good last 10 games. I don't see much sign of that in your draft.

Some players I'd suggest taking a look at: Leno, Patricio, Forster; TAA, Tierney, Jonny/Coady, Fofana, Coufal/Dawson, Vestergaard; Aubameyang/Saka, Rashford, Mount, Mahrez, Neto, Maddison, Lingard/Souček, Jota, Son/Moura; Vardy, DCL, Ings, Iheanacho, Welbeck. Oh, and Vardy again. :wink: .

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 00:06 I’m trying to have a few days away from FPL. I was getting a bit ground down by the relentless schedule of matches...
Yes, good idea, I know that feeling. This season has been a grind. I'm re-energinised by playing the wildcard but seem to be the only one posting on here at the moment. Ruth has given me plenty to chew over now anyway :lol:

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 09:24 I find it truly dire; a deceased wildcard (or is it 'resting'?)...
Wow, that is brutal. But thanks very much for the detailed reply. As I noted in my self-pitying post a few weeks ago, I think I am getting worse at this game. Part of that is the second and third guessing about decision-making; scarred by past mistakes or moments of bad fortune. I never used to pay any attention to ownership, except maybe to actively go for the unfashionable choice, but maybe that fear of failure is becoming a bigger factor and I'm subconsciously going for the popular players. Doesn't seem to have helped my rank though.

So here I am. I have made an unfashionable choice by playing the WC this week. By doing it a week too early, the Leeds/Spurs/Villa players have become a bit of a headache. I pointed out myself my concern was that I was picking players who have done well recently - so could easily end up on the downslope of poor FPL points after a good run.

Having said that, I will attempt to defend my provisional choices:

Teams playing in Europe
I read your post about this and don't disagree about tiredness creeping in. But looking at the specific players:
- The 3 from Chelsea I'll discuss below
- 3 from City. I don't think this applies so much for City as Pep is lucky enough to have the strongest squad in the league so has been rotating all season.
- 2 from United. Shaw is in a rich run of form currently. Bruno is the top scorer in the game and is blessed with an endless supply of penalties to supplement his other goal involvements. United (and Chelsea) can't ignore the league as the CL spots are still up for grabs.
- Salah. Yes, I get your point completely for Salah. The brave call, which could boost my rank would be to abandon Salah. That was actually my starting point. But then I couldn't work out who to pick in his place or spend the extra money. I guess there is a possibility Liverpool rally and make a run for the 4th CL spot. But equally likely they give up on the PL completely. Maybe Aubameyang is the option but I genuinely think Auba has fallen off a cliff this season - he's got old and is not as good any more. Also, Arsenal have Europe too?

Wolves, Leicester, Arsenal
Yes, I know they all have great fixture runs. Hence mentioning Semedo, Iheanacho, Vardy and Tierney in my post. But:
- Wolves, what have they got to play for. They haven't been the same side this season. I would only consider a defender as (a) their attack is toothless; (b) the fixtures are not that good for attacking returns (much better for clean sheet potential imho)
- Leicester. Yes, they have something to play for with the CL; very nice fixtures; and seem like a team on the up recently. On the other hand, they could get distracted by the FA Cup; have key players injured. On balance, I agree, I should have a defender on my short-list (but too many options already)
- Arsenal. Fundamentally I don't trust Arsenal. Their attack has been much better recently but is a weird mix of players and their defence is ok but unpredictable.

Raphinha and Gundogan - I gave my reasons above, but know why you disagree

(part 1)

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

(part 2)

Triple Chelsea defence (why oh why :D )
As I'm certain you're aware Chelsea have WBA cry BHA whu FUL as their next 5 games - pretty juicy fixtures.
Chelsea under Tuchel are currently the best defence in club football. Now that may not continue as they don't own the best defenders in club football but whatever he did has worked amazingly well so far. The international break could disrupt that. E.g. he came in in the middle of an intense period of matches with very little coaching time available. In the short term it is easier to sort out a defence than an attack so he has concentrated on that. Maybe he is currently making changes which will see Chelsea better going forward but worse defensively. That is a risk for me.
Chelsea attack under Tuchel has been mid-table standard so far. Hence I would rather pick 3 defensive players (at much cheaper prices) than their attackers. So far this season Azpi, Mendy, Rudiger have been scoring nearly a point more per game on average than Mount.
Next week almost everyone will have at least one Chelsea defender (Rudiger), possibly two. My differentiator is to get 3.

RuthNZ list of suggested players
Some good ones in here (and already on my shortlist :) ). But thanks, I have plenty more time to mull these over.

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

I think you should stop holding back Ruth and let Bobby know what you really think :lol: absolutely savage! :lol:

I think my own opinion falls somewhere in between. Firstly I don't really understand why you are wildcarding now when the fixture swing is in GW31, not GW30, consequently it makes it harder to ignore the likes of Spurs and Leeds on WC as they have such fantastic fixtures this week, but are then followed by poor ones (and in spurs case a blank), which almost books in transfer(s), which makes it awkward for yourself. But as far as I gather you've already pressed the button so are committed to this, so may as well try and make the best of it.

I agree with Ruth that you should forget Martinez, and I think you've selected the correct replacement in Mendy and Forster. Mendy is quite good on bonus too I've noticed which is quite rare for a top 6 keeper, he's certainly a player I'm looking at for my WC.

I don't mind the Chelsea triple up, and I'd be interested to hear why Ruth hates the idea so much. I guess if one of the forward players starts to hit form you've locked youself out of it, but other than that I don't see much wrong, especially if one of the 3 is the keeper? they've shown they are statistically the best defence in the league at the moment, and have the motivation of a top 4 place to go alongside their european ambitions. there will be rotation, yes, so a good bench is important, but i think theres a lot of upside, personally. I'm quite interested in alonso but I accept that might be too much risk for some, he has pedigree though. The other defenders suggested, I'm not too convinced on Dias, he's expensive and offers lesser attacking threat than the cheaper Stones and Cancelo. He's nailed I suppose, although when he doesn't play with Stones the City defence tends to concede. Shaw I don't mind, although as Ruth alludes to, the risk with him is gametime as he rarely seems able to play twice a week, and there's a chance the top 4 becomes a formality and OGS switches attention to Europe. TAA I think is a great differential, he's approaching being back to his best now, creating more than Robertson (BPS/assist potential) and as we know has pedigree, and a superb set of fixtures. He's also well rested after being dropped by England and may well be motivated to get back in the squad. Wolves I worry about, they have nothing to play for, no decent striker, and the stats don't look good at all. It would be a punt on the fixtures basically. Tierney I think is worth consideration, like with Shaw its the Europe factor and series of niggling injuries he seems to suffer which would need to be taken into account.

Salah has been underperforming massively recently, over the last few he has continued to receive chances, however his conversion rate has tanked. I think its encouraging he has been getting the chances though, and he remains on penalties, is motivated to get the golden boot, and should be only rotated infrequently, superb fixtures too. I don't mind him as a pick. He could be paired with Jota too if Liverpool look to have got their mojo back, to target certain high potential fixtures. I fail to see what the problem with Gundogan is, he's still offerring great value for his price, and has scored twice in the last week just to remind us he is still getting into goalscoring positions. He might miss the off game but is still one of Pep's key assets, I expect him to play the majority of games. Raphina and ESR I don't particularly like, would much rather have Saka in there, at the price he is you can accept any rotation which may arise. I agree with Ruth on Lingard, a rich vein of form, nailed on to play and has personal and team motivation. Maddison is a good shout if he's fit. Can't get too excited about any Spurs midfielders though, after Newcastle. Far too fickle.

Up top I like the 3 you have selected. Bamford the big miss, thats the problem with wildcarding this week though as previously stated. Ruth has mentioned DCL, but Everton just look moribund in attack at the moment, same goes for Ings and Southampton, and they have a blank. Vardy is a nice idea though, if you have the funds.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Chelsea Defence

OK, I didn't entirely think through all aspects of the 5 teams mentioned yet, it's still a work in progress and my comments above are reflective of where my thinking currently is. But I will say something about Chelsea seeing that both BF and TRM brought them up. In a way I need less time to consider Chelsea as I watch every game in full and follow the club closely.

1. Regression

First aspect: Chelsea were not great against Leeds and distinctly poor against Sheffield United (yes, Sheffield United) and were very lucky with both CSs. TT mentioned tiredness and I can see the strain for myself. The run of CSs is not going to continue much longer; that is obvious to me.

Two comparisons. First is City. From 25/11 to 25/2 (a run of 17 games in which they conceded 4 goals) they didn't just have the best defence in the PL, they blew the rest away completely. Their xG conceded across those 17 games was 7.57; next best was Chelsea (14.07) and no-one else below 17.0. Since then? Well, in the last month they have conceded 6 goals in 5 games with an xG conceded of 6.42 and they are 15th in the list over that period, not 1st. :shock:

I think there are multiple factors involved. One is aggregation of games taking a toll on concentration. Another is the re-entry of European football into the equation. Another is that when a team develops a new defensive structure it takes a while for opponents to figure out how to exploit it and that's comparison #2. When Conte switched Chelsea to 3-4-3 back in 2016, they went on a run of 10 CSs in 12 games with only 2 goals conceded (1/10 to 26/12/16). They then kept 2 CSs in the next 15 games, conceding 14. :o These runs don't last forever because teams figure out what you are doing and where the weaknesses are. And what TT has done since arriving (also switching to a back-3 and a kind of 3-4-3) is exactly comparable.

Now, I see the strain. I also know that the CL is very important to everyone at the club and that whatever anyone says, Porto will be uppermost in everyone's minds over the next weeks, whether they want it to be or not. A CL SF (the first for 7 years) would be a huge thing for Chelsea. An FAC win would be significant too as they didn't win a trophy since the EL in 2019 (2 years without a trophy is a long time for Chelsea). So Chelsea's fixture run isn't WBA cry BHA, as the PL ticker shows: it's actually WBA Porto cry PORTO City BHA and while they will want to win them all it's the ones marked in red that will concentrate the mind. If TT rests players it will mainly be in the PL; if there are lapses of concentration they will more likely come in the PL. That's my straightforward appraisal.

So that's the first reason why I'd question a Chelsea triple defence. I'm not confident that future results will warrant it.

2. Potential

So, if you buy that then we are looking at Chelsea defenders on individual merit rather than with the assumption of a continuing slew of CSs. And that is problematic. The wingbacks are being rotated and that will continue. It makes James and Chilwell poor choices and they are two of those that have greater attacking potential. I won't say the same about Alonso, though; I kind of agree with Joccki about him. If you have a good enough bench to cover him being rotated the potential is high enough when he plays to make him viable; don't forget that playing LWB he was a 7m player and is now, what, 5.7?

Azpi is too expensive, Tiago won't play every game, neither will Christensen or Zouma. So the only other one I'd consider would be Rüdi because he'll play most games and is a steal at 4.6m. Mendy is also a decent option because he does OK on BPs as TRM mentioned but GKs don't haul without CSs.

So that's why (why, oh why?) I wouldn't triple the Chelsea defence on wildcard. I think there are other options with better attacking potential and I doubt the continuation of the CS run. Alonso I like if you can make it work. Rüdi I like. Mendy is OK. But one would be enough for me. :)

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

TheRumourMill wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 21:45 ...Firstly I don't really understand why you are wildcarding now when the fixture swing is in GW31, not GW30, consequently it makes it harder to ignore the likes of Spurs and Leeds on WC as they have such fantastic fixtures this week, but are then followed by poor ones (and in spurs case a blank), which almost books in transfer(s), which makes it awkward for yourself. But as far as I gather you've already pressed the button so are committed to this, so may as well try and make the best of it.
Not claiming that I shouldn't have waited for gw31 but it was not as clear-cut with my team as yours for example. I don't own Dallas, Targett, Bale and Bamford for their juicy fixture next week. I also wanted Bruno, probably as captain, for the Brighton game. I was also fed up of players like Lookman, Coufal and Watkins who I've kept for weeks just for an underwhelming gw29. Plus I was seduced by the, now discredited, idea of triple Chelsea defence asap. Even players like Salah and Gundogan I would prefer to have back in my team this week. In short it was an emotional rather than scientific decision. Obviously this could backfire massively if Son comes back fit and firing from a hamstring strain in his customary manner...

Thanks for the other comments. All useful stuff - nice to have a bit of support, along with the challenge to think again from the grumpy gorilla.

For the record, I don't like ESR either. It is just he is pretty much the cheapest playing midfielder in the game. He will be third on my bench every week if I pick him. But I don't rule out a stronger option either if I roll the dice on Alonso et al

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Thanks Ruth for the detailed Chelsea feedback. That all makes sense and you know the club infinitely better than me.

I agree these runs don't last forever, and I have an underlying concern that my 10-week average form charts can mean I get onboard just as the good form evaporates. On the other hand, Chelsea have been good for 10 matches - I'd happily take their run ending after 17 like City :D .

I think the Alonso-Rudiger pairing works quite well. Alonso in the starting XI and then Rudiger is cheap enough to have first on the bench so that he comes in if Chilwell is picked. The goalkeeper decision is independent of that anyway. But I still like Mendy as a pick. And if not him, I'll stick with Martinez. Sorry!

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Bit of context to my decision making - the latest form charts
xG_form_GW29.PNG
defence_form_GW29.PNG
attack_form_GW29.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Maybe I should be going for triple Brighton defence :lol:

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Don't apologise, it's your team. :)

You are right about the challenge to think again. After writing a comment like that there comes the decision whether to post it or not. Often nowadays I don't; just write it and then delete it. But in your case I figure we get on well enough and you do a lot for others by posting your charts and stuff so you deserve a frank (brutal?!) and honest response. It can only be an opinion, we both know that. But once you have it you can do what the hell you want with it. :lol: So a challenge to think again is exactly what it is; maybe it still comes out the same, maybe you see another angle.

Alonso-Rüdi would be a good way to do it. Alonso-Chilwell also would be if money were no object. I'd prefer Martinez-Forster to Mendy-Forster myself and would play Forster a lot in that case. Not sure I wouldn't prefer Patricio to either, though.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 22:02 ...
You are right about the challenge to think again. After writing a comment like that there comes the decision whether to post it or not. Often nowadays I don't; just write it and then delete it. But in your case I figure we get on well enough and you do a lot for others by posting your charts and stuff so you deserve a frank (brutal?!) and honest response. It can only be an opinion, we both know that. But once you have it you can do what the hell you want with it. :lol: So a challenge to think again is exactly what it is; maybe it still comes out the same, maybe you see another angle.
Thanks, that's the spirit I took it in, and the feedback is much appreciated. It's far better to get the challenge ahead of time, rather than "why did you do that?" after the GW has already happened. So many times in the past I've realised I've not even thought about certain choices I've made.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Bobby Fetta wrote: Maybe I should be going for triple Brighton defence . :lol:
I think they are quite capable of going to Old Trafford and getting a CS actually. Am going to keep Dunk myself and lose Cancelo if I make a defender transfer. If not I may well start Dunk and bench both my City defenders this week. :)

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

I'm happy to admit that playing my wildcard this week was a mistake. I'm gravitating back towards quite liking my original squad and wondering why I bothered. However, it has been useful to have the two weeks as I'm extremely busy at the moment (work and diy) so might have struggled to properly do it next week anyway.

I've tweaked the previous draft a bit but the flavour is largely the same:
Mendy Forster
Dias Alonso Shaw Semedo Rudiger
Salah Fernandes Gundogan Raphinha Bissouma
Kane DCL Iheanacho

Son is the headache. I'd like to have him and am seriously considering putting him in instead of Salah. But what happens if Salah does well this week? He'll then be a very popular captaincy choice next week and the only way for me to get him would be to sell Son (ahead of his DGW) or Bruno (possible but the inverse situation could occur a week later). I did think about stripping out value elsewhere in the team to allow an upgrade from Gundo or Raphinha but that is very inefficient.

On balance I'll probably go with Son, but will see what I think in the morning.

I also cannot bring myself to actually sell Martinez and commit to the Mendy move. Its possible Forster rises in price tonight but I have 0.5m tied up in Martinez, so again will decide tomorrow.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Bobby Fetta wrote:I also cannot bring myself to actually sell Martinez and commit to the Mendy move.
This is just funny because we have all been there I guess. :lol: Maybe you should throw the fixture ticker away and stick with Martinez/Forster.

Son looks a top pick to me, to be preferred to Bruno or Salah (depending on which you have most stored value in). Neither are really a worry till GW32 (when everyone will be captaining Kane anyway) and Son :arrow: whoever in GW33 would be fine, no? That's likely what I'll do with my wildcard next week anyway.

It's hard to find much wastage in your squad, though Semedo seems to always look better than his stats somehow. You could probably save 0.4m safely by taking Coady instead? Also I'm not enamoured of Gündoğan in general but am keen on Neto so you might consider putting Neto in that slot now and saving a FT later?

Other than that it looks like a decent wildcard to me. :)

SG_8
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 3 Top 10k finishes

Post by SG_8 »

I agree with Ruth on Gundogan. I would not be keeping him on a WC. Even for my team I'm planning on benching him this week. With wc you can afford to take an exciting punt in that position maybe. Other than that team looks solid.

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 21:40 Bit of context to my decision making - the latest form charts

xG_form_GW29.PNG

defence_form_GW29.PNG

attack_form_GW29.PNG
That looks like a records of all our Heartbeats whilst watching PL this season :) .

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Thanks for the feedback. Had a rethink overnight and made quite a big readjustment:
Mendy to Martinez
Dias to Stones
Alonso to James
Semedo to Coady
Bissouma to Smith-Rowe
allows
Gundogan to Salah
and 0 ITB

So triple Chelsea defence is no more - could even be zero today. When Alonso scores I'll be gutted and cursing myself. I am still keen on Gundo but don't want to lose any of the others either.

Good luck all, I'm going out now so no more time to butcher my original vision further

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Good luck Bobby. And... breathe. :D

SamuearlJ
Wideboy

Post by SamuearlJ »

Gundogan -> Son presumably (rather than Salah, as he was already in your team). It looks strong - good luck.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

SamuearlJ wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 10:13 Gundogan -> Son presumably (rather than Salah, as he was already in your team). It looks strong - good luck.
I've lost track to be honest, but thanks

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Ruth_NZ wrote:Chelsea Defence
Chelsea were not great against Leeds and distinctly poor against Sheffield United and were very lucky with both CSs. TT mentioned tiredness and I can see the strain for myself. The run of CSs is not going to continue much longer; that is obvious to me.

I also know that the CL is very important to everyone at the club and that whatever anyone says, Porto will be uppermost in everyone's minds over the next weeks, whether they want it to be or not. If TT rests players it will mainly be in the PL; if there are lapses of concentration they will more likely come in the PL. So that's why I wouldn't triple the Chelsea defence on wildcard. I think there are other options with better attacking potential and I doubt the continuation of the CS run.
8-)
Toldya!

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 17:06
Ruth_NZ wrote:Chelsea Defence
Chelsea were not great against Leeds and distinctly poor against Sheffield United and were very lucky with both CSs. TT mentioned tiredness and I can see the strain for myself. The run of CSs is not going to continue much longer; that is obvious to me.

I also know that the CL is very important to everyone at the club and that whatever anyone says, Porto will be uppermost in everyone's minds over the next weeks, whether they want it to be or not. If TT rests players it will mainly be in the PL; if there are lapses of concentration they will more likely come in the PL. So that's why I wouldn't triple the Chelsea defence on wildcard. I think there are other options with better attacking potential and I doubt the continuation of the CS run.
8-)
Toldya!
A cunning move, getting all of April’s goals conceded out of the way in one fixture :lol:

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Smurphy's Paw wrote:A cunning move, getting all of April’s goals conceded out of the way in one fixture. :lol:
I wish! But honestly doubt it. The strain of CL and PL is telling on them, today was mainly a whole series of mistakes and lapses of concentration. They'll probably be very good on Wednesday but they aren't the most experienced team and getting focused for the Palace game between the two CL legs won't be easy for them.

Just a shame for me that Alonso had one cleared off the line, he was almost a good 1-week punt.

By the way, for what it's worth your Bale :arrow: Son move looks exactly right if not committed to WC31. I'd have done the same for a hit if saving the wildcard.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 17:06 8-)
Toldya!
Yes, fair play, don't worry, I thought of you with every goal that went in. Also Diagne finally managed to locate the barn door with his banjo. His xG stats have been phenomenal (until today actually) without any returns.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”