To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Specious Theoretic Chatter (The free-for-all shared-RMT thread 19/20)

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Re: Specious Theoretic Chatter (The free-for-all shared-RMT thread 19/20)

Post by Turd Ferguson »

It seems like the clean sheets have to come for United eventually (they have 4 in 4 Europa league games fwiw).

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Against....

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

TheRumourMill wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 23:21 The main issue I'm struggling with is that there's almost too much value out there at the moment.
It has become increasingly easy to create a very cheap but effective squad. Not sure I'd want to spread the money around though; FPL changes so fast that one injury, etc and instant cash is required again. Sometimes I think it's better flexi-wise to have some money banked than on the bench.

TheRumourMill
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: Similar to Everton - haven't cracked the top 10k glass ceiling yet, neither have I had and sub 500k shockers either!
International tournaments: Better, 11k in WC 2018 and top 1000 way back at Euro 2012!

Post by TheRumourMill »

Sutter Kane wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 08:04
TheRumourMill wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 23:21 The main issue I'm struggling with is that there's almost too much value out there at the moment.
It has become increasingly easy to create a very cheap but effective squad. Not sure I'd want to spread the money around though; FPL changes so fast that one injury, etc and instant cash is required again. Sometimes I think it's better flexi-wise to have some money banked than on the bench.
That's a fair point. I'm just trying to think out loud how to square the circle that the value presents and the associated benching headaches. Maybe we just have to take it on the chin and accept hauls will be benched from time to time this season.

Last year I remember running for a reasonably large stretch of the season rotating between Fraser and rondon who I got for about 5.7m each. I accept that's not the most efficient way to use funds but it did seem to work reasonably well. Maybe this season with Lundstrum offering what he can for 4.0 and soyuncu at 4.5m, and many getting mount for 6.0-6.3m, you could have guys at 6.0-7.0m rotated according to fixture!

I guess the alternative may be to keep paring your squad back to enable mane, sterling, kdb and a vardy/firmino/auba type, a way of simply targeting the likely highest point scorers in the game as there is no budget pressure.

Maybe I'm going about this wrong and should just target who the top scorers in the game are going to be this season:

Henderson

TAA Robbo Lundstrum
Mane KDB Sterling Salah Mount/Maddison/Pulisic
Vardy Abraham

Something like that? And if the midfield is unaffordable just swap out Salah to one of the other mids or a Chilwell/Pereira type?

What do you guys reckon?

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

TheRumourMill wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 08:45 Henderson

TAA Robbo Lundstrum
Vardy Abraham

Something like that? And if the midfield is unaffordable just swap out Salah to one of the other mids or a Chilwell/Pereira type?
Absolutely! Though got 4 Liv in there so couldn't have Salah/Mane anyway. This value thing is going to get much worse from around GW14/5 - the likes of Tomori, Soyuncu and Lundstram become absolutely unbenchable so it could be 4 at the back which would imply 2 benched attacking players in a potentially 'fat' squad! This is a reason why I've all but decided to stick with Connolly and Sterling instead of moving onto the Vardy and Maddison 'fat' squad.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

I'm in the 'fat' squad camp at the moment with a front eight of
Salah/KDB/Martial/Mount/Maddison
Firmino/Abraham/Maupay

The plan had always been to downgrade Mauapy to Connolly/Greenwood, depending on how much funds were needed elsewhere. But, the defensive value of Soyuncu, Lundstrum and Tomori, means I'm in no hurry to shift those funds backwards, so I'm just going to run with Maupay, who covers Mount's bad GW 13 ok, until I decide where to put those funds. I certainly don't think there's any need to run with a fat squad though, even as rotation season hits in Dec and Jan, because as Sutter alludes to above, even with a 'normal' squad you're likely to have a solid first, and even second sub most weeks, because of the high scoring, low priced players this season.

Stu255
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Stu255 »

Sutter Kane wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 10:23
TheRumourMill wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 08:45 Henderson

TAA Robbo Lundstrum
Vardy Abraham

Absolutely! Though got 4 Liv in there so couldn't have Salah/Mane anyway. This value thing is going to get much worse from around GW14/5 - the likes of Tomori, Soyuncu and Lundstram become absolutely unbenchable so it could be 4 at the back which would imply 2 benched attacking players in a potentially 'fat' squad! This is a reason why I've all but decided to stick with Connolly and Sterling instead of moving onto the Vardy and Maddison 'fat' squad.
This only works whilst Leicester and Chelsea are over performing. Both are a bit overly reliant on their strikers (Abraham and Vardy). They are stoppable if they get tactically "found out" by another Premier League manager. Figuring out how to stop City or Liverpool is a much taller order! and I doubt other Premier League teams have the on-field resources to do what it would require.

This year City just seem to be very reliant on KDB, which is unusual given their squad depth and Liverpool might actually be the most robust squad in terms as Mane's recent improvement means they are noticeably less reliant on Salah. I just think Leicester and Chelsea are little bit brittle and City are more brittle than usual, but Liverpool are less so.

In terms of FPL I think we are rather unconstrained by TV whilst both Leicester and Chelsea maintain their current performance but I would be amazed if it continues for many months.
FPL seems to be about locking onto a particular team structure and not spoiling it whilst it lasts, then restructuring when the landscape shifts.

In my second season I'm starting to learn that FPL management is much more episodic than continual.

bigcliff2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Rubbish

Post by bigcliff2 »

Has anybody considered James Ward-Prowse? Played 90 minutes in every single game this season, great run of fixtures for the next 7 gameweeks (even his bad fixture is Arsenal away), on set pieces, potentially on penalties, only 5.8...

Or are Southampton just too ropey to consider?

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Yes I considered him and Redmond from GW14 and still might. There's a host of potential great value options around that price but it only really fits if your squad is set up that way. Players/teams are only in/out of form until they're not and fixtures can often change the tide. BUT, it's a problem I mentioned above and Dino restated; having JWP is great for his fixtures but you may have to choose between him and Lundstram with an equally great fixture, which then dampens any enthusiasm.

On another point, even if Chelsea/Leicester lose some form, there's no way you'd rotate them onto the bench of a big squad if they have a reasonable fixture, would you? The likes of Mount and Abraham have been so good that even a 20% drop off would keep them at elite value level.

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

Sutter Kane wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 12:26 ... BUT, it's a problem I mentioned above and Dino restated; having JWP is great for his fixtures but you may have to choose between him and Lundstram with an equally great fixture, which then dampens any enthusiasm.
Well, I know what you mean, but would you rather pick someone with a dodgy fixture to avoid having that choice? Isn’t this kind of selection issue that ‘real managers’ always say is “a nice problem to have”? I guess the difference is that as FPL managers we always see the downside of our selections made real in terms of ‘POB’, whereas real managers don’t get to find out what might have been.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Sutter Kane wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 08:04
I'm wondering about going with a 'fat' squad from GW17. I may well have a couple of million spare. That would open up the possibility of a GW17 BB and would provide a good bench to cover Liverpool's blank in GW18 (especially as Leicester play Man City as well) by which point we are in the Christmas fixtures where once again a strong bench can be an advantage. Of course something is bound to happen before GW17 that scuppers my plans ;)

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Mr Clarinet wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 14:39
Sutter Kane wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 12:26 ... BUT, it's a problem I mentioned above and Dino restated; having JWP is great for his fixtures but you may have to choose between him and Lundstram with an equally great fixture, which then dampens any enthusiasm.
Well, I know what you mean, but would you rather pick someone with a dodgy fixture to avoid having that choice? Isn’t this kind of selection issue that ‘real managers’ always say is “a nice problem to have”? I guess the difference is that as FPL managers we always see the downside of our selections made real in terms of ‘POB’, whereas real managers don’t get to find out what might have been.
Well no of course not, but your scenario implies I have not planned properly with my 'on-a-diet' squad thus I have a dodgy fixture. Preposterous! :lol:

My main issue with spreading the cash towards a paunchy squad with choices is reversing decisions. You're right, whilst it's annoying to have points benched, it's not the end of the world. But my preference overall is still to have all my money in my XI not on my bench. This year with all the value picks means you don't need strong subs.

So for my squad situation, this comes down to Sterling vs Vardy and nothing else because additional cash is redundant. I'd captain neither for a long time because of the juxtaposition of the 'nice' (GW15/17) fixtures. Factoring in transfers, I pick Sterling. The key point for me is that the extra cash won't help me create a stronger squad. If it was 4mn, then yes it would. If for others, the 2.5mn does get them to Robertson, etc, then I see massive value in the move - but not imo to create yet another strong bench player.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Aldershot Rejects wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 15:40 Of course something is bound to happen before GW17 that scuppers my plans ;)
If there one thing we know in FPL, the landscape will be completely different in 6 weeks. We talk and discuss but in the end, its all futile. All of it. 8-)

Mr Clarinet
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Mr Clarinet »

Sutter Kane wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 15:52 ... but your scenario implies I have not planned properly with my 'on-a-diet' squad thus I have a dodgy fixture. Preposterous! :lol:
Actually I was thinking mainly of my own chaotic situation in which dodgy plans, dodgy fixtures, dodgy players and dodgy decisions compete for my attention on a weekly basis... :lol:

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Sammy the Crab wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 15:57 Pope, 4.0
Alexander-Arnold, Soyuncu, Tomori, Lundstram, Rico
Sterling, Mane, De Bruyne, Mount, Cantwell
Vardy, Abraham, Greenwood

1 transfer, £1.0m in the bank.

Cantwell hasn't worked out and it looks like he's dropping very soon. I would have 1.0 to replace him which would get me McGinn who I'm not thrilled about but is clearly a better option than Cantwell.

The other option is to take Cantwell's drop and maybe move out Sterling next week.

Any advice? Is there a better midfield option than McGinn that I've missed? I still have all chips to play.
Any ideas on this? I completely forgot to take out Cantwell before he dropped so now only have £5.7m to replace him. Are there any decent cheap midfield options that I might have missed? I notice Hayden is on the FFS watch list but can't understand why.

I might just leave him in for WAT and then reassess next week with two free trans.

I'm starting to feel the pain of having a low team value. Someone posted the exact same team as mine yesterday on here with Martial instead of Cantwell which was quite depressing!

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Maybe just bank the transfer for now and then consider upgrading Rico with your cash and some savings on Cantwell to Dendoncker. A 4th defender at around 6m such as VVD might be better than an extra midfielder.

If you find a spare transfer then Greenwood to Connolly would give you good enough cover even if Cantwell stays benched with Hernandez now back. It would just be a worry how much TV might be lost holding on to him.

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

Sammy the Crab wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 17:08
Sammy the Crab wrote: 03 Nov 2019, 15:57 Pope, 4.0
Alexander-Arnold, Soyuncu, Tomori, Lundstram, Rico
Sterling, Mane, De Bruyne, Mount, Cantwell
Vardy, Abraham, Greenwood

1 transfer, £1.0m in the bank.

Cantwell hasn't worked out and it looks like he's dropping very soon. I would have 1.0 to replace him which would get me McGinn who I'm not thrilled about but is clearly a better option than Cantwell.

The other option is to take Cantwell's drop and maybe move out Sterling next week.

Any advice? Is there a better midfield option than McGinn that I've missed? I still have all chips to play.
Any ideas on this? I completely forgot to take out Cantwell before he dropped so now only have £5.7m to replace him. Are there any decent cheap midfield options that I might have missed? I notice Hayden is on the FFS watch list but can't understand why.

I might just leave him in for WAT and then reassess next week with two free trans.

I'm starting to feel the pain of having a low team value. Someone posted the exact same team as mine yesterday on here with Martial instead of Cantwell which was quite depressing!
Ouch that drop really hurt you. There are a couple of nice options at 5.8! If you really want to make a transfer and Norwich have their attacking verve back you could go sideways (maybe diagonally upwards?) to the recently fit Onel Hernandez who is 5.3m.

I am considering going back to 3-4-3 with Vardy, Abraham, Jimenez as the front three. Three players in form, scoring goals, and two of them are on penalties.

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Mav3rick wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 17:37 Maybe just bank the transfer for now and then consider upgrading Rico with your cash and some savings on Cantwell to Dendoncker. A 4th defender at around 6m such as VVD might be better than an extra midfielder.

If you find a spare transfer then Greenwood to Connolly would give you good enough cover even if Cantwell stays benched with Hernandez now back. It would just be a worry how much TV might be lost holding on to him.
Greenwood to Connolly is on my radar but with Brighton's fixtures it's not top of my list for now.

I'm quite happy with my defence to be fair. The big defenders haven't really been worthwhile so far. Rico is ahead of VVD on points per game for example.

I would really want Cantwell out this week if he's not going to play.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Well Hernandez has usurped Cantwell in the starting line-up tonight. If you made that transfer you have a starter with attacking potential (if Norwich are on song).

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Aldershot Rejects wrote:Yes, thanks Bobby. I've been wondering about the Burnley defensive figures - seems like a complete turnaround from a couple of years ago.

As TRM says, Brighton's attack is looking good. Brighton's defensive stats are also interesting - they tend to be a bit all or nothing. They have an xGA under 1 in 5 games (and have converted 4 of those to cs) but they also have an xGA of over 2 in 4 games (and have conceded 10 goals in those games). Certainly they look good as a rotation option in defence.

The attacking figures for Chelsea also confirm what seems to be happening in real life and that is that they are now a match for Liverpool and at a much lower price.

Leicester are significantly over-achieving offensively. Their xG is way beneath both Liverpool and Chelsea but they have outscored both. Whilst the Southampton game distorts things somewhat, it is part of a wider trend. I wonder how much of that is due to Vardy who seems to always perform above xG expectations. Defensively I am wondering whether they or Liverpool are worth doubling-up on given the attacking threat both defences also offer. Perreira or Robbo anyone?
I had a choice to make between Chilwell and Robertson coming in for Walker (already have TAA but no Leicester defence).

Ideally would've waited for GW 13, but price changes were imminent. Went for Chilwell because Leicester fixture schedule is less hectic, plus their home fixtures look good for CSs.

D4 position is still unclear (don't know if I even want it). Some bottom teams play each other in the next few weeks, so maybe we could look at somebody from say Watford?

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

SirMattBugsby wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 21:32
Aldershot Rejects wrote:Yes, thanks Bobby. I've been wondering about the Burnley defensive figures - seems like a complete turnaround from a couple of years ago.

As TRM says, Brighton's attack is looking good. Brighton's defensive stats are also interesting - they tend to be a bit all or nothing. They have an xGA under 1 in 5 games (and have converted 4 of those to cs) but they also have an xGA of over 2 in 4 games (and have conceded 10 goals in those games). Certainly they look good as a rotation option in defence.

The attacking figures for Chelsea also confirm what seems to be happening in real life and that is that they are now a match for Liverpool and at a much lower price.

Leicester are significantly over-achieving offensively. Their xG is way beneath both Liverpool and Chelsea but they have outscored both. Whilst the Southampton game distorts things somewhat, it is part of a wider trend. I wonder how much of that is due to Vardy who seems to always perform above xG expectations. Defensively I am wondering whether they or Liverpool are worth doubling-up on given the attacking threat both defences also offer. Perreira or Robbo anyone?
I had a choice to make between Chilwell and Robertson coming in for Walker (already have TAA but no Leicester defence).

Ideally would've waited for GW 13, but price changes were imminent. Went for Chilwell because Leicester fixture schedule is less hectic, plus their home fixtures look good for CSs.

D4 position is still unclear (don't know if I even want it). Some bottom teams play each other in the next few weeks, so maybe we could look at somebody from say Watford?
I've already got TAA, Lundstam and Soyu (not to mention Diop at D5 :oops: ) so D3 & D4 sorted, just looking for my D2.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Diop 😂😂😂

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 22:15
Finisher1 wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 22:09 Arsenal are defensively decent. Their xGA is 15.56, which is 11th in the league.
So in other words, they have a mid-table defence? Vardy at home against a mid-table defence sounds pretty good to me.
8-)

Finisher1 wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 22:21 Abraham and Martial are better options than Vardy in my opinion. Kane and Son too, if someone has them.
Vardy 12
Abraham 8
Son 8
Kane 2

Let's see how your Martial pick gets on tomorrow. You're bound to get 1 out of 4 right. :wink:

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

Tricky decision ahead now whether to bring Vardy in. His ownership will continue to rise and the immediate fixtures are good. It will be a two transfer move for me to get him so either a hit or a roll then move the following week. Then it's a choice of losing Jimenez or Connolly (and a move to 4-3-3) neither of which I'm that keen on but may be necessary. Oh well up to a couple of weeks to mull it over at least.
Last edited by Pulpy on 09 Nov 2019, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 20:00
They all were good options and they all scored well except Kane (and Martial is yet to play). What's your point really?

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Finisher1 wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 20:05 What's your point really?
Apart from pointing out that you clearly underestimated Vardy and overestimated Arsenal? No point at all really. :mrgreen:

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 20:08
Finisher1 wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 20:05 What's your point really?
Apart from pointing out that you clearly underestimated Vardy? No point at all really. :mrgreen:
You have misunderstood what "pointing out" means because you have not pointed out anything.

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

If outcomes prove us wrong we are all wrong on a weekly basis in this game.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Pulpy wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 20:24 If outcomes prove us wrong we are all wrong on a weekly basis in this game.
This is obviously true. I think every sensible person knows it.
Last edited by Finisher1 on 09 Nov 2019, 20:41, edited 3 times in total.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Finisher1 wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 20:05
Pirlo's Beard wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 20:00
They all were good options and they all scored well except Kane (and Martial is yet to play). What's your point really?
Kane was never a good option this week.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”