To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Raoul's RMT

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: ?

Re: Raoul's RMT

Post by itslikebrandnew »

raoul wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 16:45 the point is that you started this by saying you knew nothing then proferring a conclusion. Were you passing on a message about the best formation from someone else who does know?

We are veering off course in rather sensational fashion. Shall we take a breath and carry on - by concluding that there seems to be a lot of evidence implying 532 or 523 (or maybe even 541) looks like the best chance of success?
I didnt say i knew nothing, i said i didnt fully understand the game yet as i hadn't really played it. My conclusion was i thought 5-2-3 looked the strongest. I watch football, i can see values of players, i can see last seasons scores....and therefore come to a conclusion of a group of players that look the strongest. Whether that translates well to the game i didn't know. From what i'm told if i go 2 in mid and neither of them are premiums i've an issue if then need to bring in someone like Salah/Sterling. That's the type of thing i'm learning.

Jarngard
Kevin and Perry

Post by Jarngard »

Stena Bib wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 20:16
Jarngard wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 20:09 "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
- Charles Bukowski

If your data set is the scores from lasr season, it will be very hard not to conclude that 5 at the back is the way to go. This might be true. It might also be false.
Liverpool and Man City were very dominant last season. There seems no logical reason for this not to continue.
I don't think you will find very many questioning the continuation of this trend?

Stena Bib
FISOhead
FS Record: Finished 530 FPL 2018/19

Post by Stena Bib »

Jarngard wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 20:23
Jarngard wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 20:09 "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
- Charles Bukowski

If your data set is the scores from lasr season, it will be very hard not to conclude that 5 at the back is the way to go. This might be true. It might also be false.
Liverpool and Man City were very dominant last season. There seems no logical reason for this not to continue.
I don't think you will find very many questioning the continuation of this trend?
Yes, so the above coupled with the pricing of Defenders seems very difficult to ignore.

dod
FISOhead
FS Record: I have never won FPL.

Post by dod »

- Charles Bukowski
Hmm ... professional pedant here :wink: .

Charles Bukowski didn't write that. What he actually wrote was "... the problem is that bad writers tend to have self-confidence, while the good ones tend to have self doubt." Actually he didn't even write that. It is a quote from an interview he gave to the literary magazine Arete in 1989.

What you are probably thinking of is a quote by Bertrand Russell from his essay "The Triumph of Stupidity" that he wrote in 1936 - "The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

This is actually predated by a similar phrase taken from W.B.Yeats 1920 poem 'The Second Coming' - "The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."

Anyhoo ... back to FPL :lol: .

Jarngard
Kevin and Perry

Post by Jarngard »

dod wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 20:39
- Charles Bukowski

Charles Bukowski didn't write that. What he actually wrote was "... the problem is that bad writers tend to have self-confidence, while the good ones tend to have self doubt." Actually he didn't even write that. It is a quote from an interview he gave to the literary magazine Arete in 1989.

What you are probably thinking of is a quote by Bertrand Russell from his essay "The Triumph of Stupidity" that he wrote in 1936 - "The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

This is actually predated by a similar phrase taken from W.B.Yeats 1920 poem 'The Second Coming' - "The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."

Yes! You are completely right, it's that last quote that sprong to mind - I didn't remember who said it, so went with what google sugested. The point remains the same :)
Stena Bib wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 20:34
- Charles Bukowski

Yes, so the above coupled with the pricing of Defenders seems very difficult to ignore.
What you are suggesting, is that you can predict the future based on a tiny data set. You wont win FPL by following last years trends, you might however win it if you are really good at predicting new trends. Hence I suggest following Patricians RMT, he makes an actual effort combining what has been, with what will be. This whole discussion is silly tbh, back to topic.

Stena Bib
FISOhead
FS Record: Finished 530 FPL 2018/19

Post by Stena Bib »

Jarngard wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 21:12
dod wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 20:39
- Charles Bukowski

Yes! You are completely right, it's that last quote that sprong to mind - I didn't remember who said it, so went with what google sugested. The point remains the same :)

Stena Bib wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 20:34
- Charles Bukowski

What you are suggesting, is that you can predict the future based on a tiny data set. You wont win FPL by following last years trends, you might however win it if you are really good at predicting new trends. Hence I suggest following Patricians RMT, he makes an actual effort combining what has been, with what will be. This whole discussion is silly tbh, back to topic.
My apologies in advance. but i could not resist it. if your playing the Patrician card, i will have to raise you and play the Stemania card. :D :D :D

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

I am no Bertrand Russell or WB Yeats, so will stick with some no doubt over-simplistic theory (note the self-doubt … a sign of my genius I presume)

- 2500 points total (a rough target, and yes I know last year 2700...)
- discretionary budget of 36m
- assume a base score of 2pts per base price player per week, so 24 per week, 912 for the season
- 2500-912 = 1588
- so 1588 pts needed from 36m … except will say 44m, assuming a 12m player (8m discretionary) is captain and his budget is scoring twice
- 1588/44 = 36 extra pts per 1m discretionary budget spent

Assuming the above logic is close to sane, which it might not be, then:

GK and DEF

- 4.5m player target is 96
- 5m is 114
- 5.5m is 132
- 6m is 150
- 6.5m is 168
- 7m is 186

MID and FWD

- with a 4.5m base, 5m is 96, 5.5m is 114 etc.
- 7m is 168
- 8m is 204
- 9m is 240
- it is evident that players of 8m and above are very unlikely to be worth it unless as captain at least some of the time, and assuming there are better strategies available
- 11m is 312 suggesting Kane, captained half the time, is worth it
- 12.5m is 366 suggesting Salah, captained half the time, is worth it

Based on the above, my pool of players rapidly shrinks. I am expecting to captain Salah and Sterling primarily, which rules out all premium forwards from 8m up. If Vardy was 8m then he would be a maybe, but I cannot really warrant looking at a forward above 6.5m. Their returns just do not cut it. And at 6.5m and a 150 pts target … where do you go? Am now thinking just 1 player up front, King probably.

In midfield, I can see a few 7m and below who have potential. If Pedro and Willian both play as regular starters, Zaha perhaps, Felipe perhaps.

Current version therefore:

Ederson

Robertson
VVD
LaPorte
Alonso
Digne

Salah (c)
Sterling (vc)
Anderson
Pereyra

King

Structure-wise I am happy. Personnel might change as we discover more pre-season, transfers, etc.

dod
FISOhead

Post by dod »

That looks pretty solid. I've gone for 5 premium defenders in my own squad. The major difference is I have Kane instead of Salah in a 5-3-2 formation. I find 5-4-1 a little inflexible but that's a minor quibble.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Personally, I consider defenders and goalkeepers separately. Each £1m extra gets you far less points for a goalkeeper than a defender.
Other than that, it looks fairly solid.
I'm going with 5 premium defenders but only one premium midfielder and then spreading the cash from the other around my other midfield/forwards.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

dod wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 14:53 That looks pretty solid. I've gone for 5 premium defenders in my own squad. The major difference is I have Kane instead of Salah in a 5-3-2 formation. I find 5-4-1 a little inflexible but that's a minor quibble.
I take your point about 541 and its inflexibility.

I am still considering having a Salah/Sterling platoon in a single spot and accepting the transfers it will eat up, and using the funds to go for Kane up front. That way I have access to a good captain rotation all season (subject to injuries of course). It also provides more flex for the 541 set up.

If I do the above, it opens up the chance to go 532 and means I could be choosing between the two following front 5s:

Salah
Sterling
Anderson
Pereyra
King

Salah/Sterling (using transfers, probably 6-8 for the season)
Anderson
Pereyra
Kane
Wilson

The latter, if I choose my transfer timings well, looks best. The former looks safer.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

I'm looking at something even simpler. 30pts per million for my first 11

I'm likely to have 18m on the bench, leaving me with 82m. 82x30 = 2460pts

dod
FISOhead

Post by dod »

Both look very decent to me. I have made the decision to eschew Salah altogether (at least until my wildcard). This is not based on me thinking Salah won't have a great season but simply that he has to have a great season in order to come anywhere near justifying his price tag. The fact that leaving out Salah opens up another LIV spot in my team is also a large factor in my decision.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Here's a 30pts a million team.

Pickford
Wan Bissaka
Schar
Digne
TAA
Robertson
Sterling
Salah
Vardy
Wood
DCL

Fairly straight forward with gk & defs, sterling and salah would have to be 50/50 captains to hit their targets which would leave me with Vardy needing 270, Wood 195, DCL 180pts. No chance with Vardy, and unlikely with Wood, DCL a possibility if he's first choice.

There's a couple of tweaks i could do if someone like Alonso plays regularly and i could take Schar out and then my 9m budget for Vardy becomes a 7.5m budget for someone like Jimenez who'd need 225pts which although unlikely seems more plausable then Vardy getting 270.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

or use the 13.5 from Vardy plus a base price MID to get Pereyra and King. Go 523 or 532 as you wish or even better make Schar Sub 1 and go 433?

I think your bigger issue is AWB though, because MU are not exactly defensively solid at present and in general are a bit of a shambles. I cannot see him or any other MU defender scoring 175 pts.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

raoul wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 16:20 or use the 13.5 from Vardy plus a base price MID to get Pereyra and King. Go 523 or 532 as you wish or even better make Schar Sub 1 and go 433?

I think your bigger issue is AWB though, because MU are not exactly defensively solid at present and in general are a bit of a shambles. I cannot see him or any other MU defender scoring 175 pts.
If i benched Schar i'd need more than 30pts a million as 30pts per million assumes 18m on the bench.

IF AWB is an issue then i've problems as i'm running out of defenders. I can't see much else for 5.5 capable of 165 or 6 for 180.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

raoul wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 12:23 - 2500 points total (a rough target, and yes I know last year 2700...)
I will have to get a better grip of the season and teams before I can RMT, but just a small observation here. I will try to develop this further in the future.
Hypothesis: Notwithstanding the ¬2700 score of the winner of last season, 2500 is a good target to hold on to at the start of the season.

As you know, 2500 is the static target I start with every season. However, there is a dynamic aspect to the target that one should consider (and I have sorta-kinda established it into my model last year, but would solidify the idea this season) - which is led by a few considerations a) Price rises; b) a really low-priced player in one's team playing at an unforeseen higher level; c) more / less number of DGWs in comparison to expectation. Philosophers would say that there is a target, and there is a journey.
The journey is the allocation of expected return to players at specific price points. and tracking the performance of players in comparison to said targets week on week.
a) You cannot afford a team with 4 big-hit defenders and three 10+ attackers right now, but by GW10 for example many would. Naturally, the GW targets for that uplifted team would be in the range of 65-66 (perhaps) as opposed to 63. The dynamic target changes similarly.
b) if Jimenez is performing at the level of a 8M forward by mid-season, I would have to increase the expected point target for him - because otherwise my overall sub-season score is providing a false sense of security as to my overall team performance. And this would also increase the GW target score by a couple points.
c) Last season had four DGWs as opposed to 3, and the BGWs were relatively gentle. Also affecting the dynamic target.

My starting target of 2500 had become 2643 by the end of the season. That would have comfortably been second place. It is by the by that I was way adrift of it.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Aldershot Rejects wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 15:08 Personally, I consider defenders and goalkeepers separately. Each £1m extra gets you far less points for a goalkeeper than a defender.
Other than that, it looks fairly solid.
I'm going with 5 premium defenders but only one premium midfielder and then spreading the cash from the other around my other midfield/forwards.
With the GK, there is of course a ceiling for points. Unless Pickford starts taking Everton penalties. But there is also a ceiling for cost. I think it looks like either Ryan at 4.5, Fabs at 5, Pickford at 5.5, or Ederson. Heaton might be in the argument if he plays. Could easily argue any of those price points.

I can see 6 or 7 premium price defenders who make sense. Since I only need a max of 5, this sounds too good to be true … until a 4 or 4.5 surprise breaks through, and even then they would have to be at a semi decent team to warrant a long term spot in my team. Not sure I am seeing a Wolves this season.

In midfield and up top is where my big debate lies. Safe midfield mid price/value options who won't over-exceed, v some risks as forwards who could prove excellent value (DCL, Pukki).

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

CAPTAINS

Have 2 in squad, and move captaincy around?

Or 1 slot in squad and use transfers to switch Salah and Sterling in and out?

The latter eats up some transfers of course, but frees up budget.

Thoughts?

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

I always want at least 2, and there will always be another one or two mid priced players who could be an option. Ideally I'd want 3 tbh but the defensive prices are making that difficult

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

The more I find out, the less I know.

dod
FISOhead

Post by dod »

blahblah wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 15:25 The more I find out, the less I know.
Paraphrasing Aristotle :) .

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

dod wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 16:06
blahblah wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 15:25 The more I find out, the less I know.
Paraphrasing Aristotle :) .
Locations don't show up on phones 😂

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

A Quandary and potential solution...

So, I think I have 12 of my 15 players nailed (only gaps left are in MID and FWD), with a total spend of 80.5m.

Thing is, I only have 3 bench-warmers.

So obviously it should be a 4.5m, leaving 15m for the other 2 right?

Well there is the problem - I can see a lot of starting MIDs and FWDs in the 6-8m bracket who do not get enough points to quite warrant their prices. But I can also see a few who do earn their price, but only when on the pitch ... and they are not guaranteed starters.

So am thinking ... spend 19.5m on 3 players, fully expecting Sub 1 to be a factor (because one of my final 2 players has a good chance of not playing). Run on the theory that any 2 of the 3 will hopefully play.

Martial / Chicharito / Barkley ... you see where I am coming from here I think.

Thoughts?

There is of course a risk that none of them play in any given week, but I have two other subs who should be starters so...

dod
FISOhead

Post by dod »

I tried a similar experiment over the festive season last year. It was an unmitigated disaster unfortunately :( . The problem was what I have called 'lumpiness' :lol: .

What I had overlooked was the fact that sometimes all my high ppm 'rotation risks' played and I left the points on the bench, and sometimes none of them did and I was stuck with 1 or 2 pointer subs. Maybe I was just unlucky but it happened far more than I had anticipated and put me off ever trying a similar experiment again.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep.

1x6m on the Bench is bad enough, but is my plan atm.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Hmmm. Suppose it is an unnecessary risk to start the season and after a few weeks we'll know who is playing anyway. So ...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

You can Iwobi to your list 😂

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Posted elsewhere but this is looking pretty strong to me:

Ederson - 170
Robertson - 215
TAA - 215
Azpilcueta - 165
Digne - 165
Alonso - 195
Salah/Sterling rotation covering 34 captaincies (13 transfers) - 620
Son (with 4 captaincies) - 220
Sigurdsson - 185
Wilson - 190
Chicharito or DCL or Gray or Barkley - 135

2475, the best I can see at present, and I do not think I have been unduly optimistic overall re points. Bang on 30pts per million (82.5m on the pitch).

The 13 transfers might end up causing some hits of course, but equally I have not factored in a triple captain week, bench boost etc.

edited for my appalling maths...

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

An easy alternate, with perhaps more flex, is Kane to replace Son (and therefore act as 3rd captain where needed), and make up the 1.5m by Ederson becoming a 4.5. Whether that balances out in points I don't know.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

other than waiting to see who gets transferred to who, the only thing I seem to be tweaking at present is a front 5, cost around 45m. Pretty much set on Salah/Sterling rotation as one of these spots, so it's 4 front players for 32.5m. With a good start, and hopefully to sit there all season.

Vardy, Wilson, Jimenez and Siggy?

KdB and King to replace 2 of the above?

Must there be a Kane priced forward to give flexibility, even if I care only about GW 1-6 for now?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”