To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Raoul's RMT

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
dod
FISOhead
FS Record: I have never won FPL.

Re: Raoul's RMT

Post by dod »

raoul wrote: 01 May 2019, 18:26
dod wrote: 01 May 2019, 16:13 Nice score for a chipless team last GW raoul :) .

I guess the question is who do you have your eye on to bring in?

Duffy and Chilwell both have very poor fixtures left but there aren't great options for defenders. Maybe Shaw? I'm not convinced by MUN myself even with their very easy run in.

I wouldn't get rid of Son when he is all but certain to play against a tragic BOU defence (he got 13 pts against them at the Lane), and then against EVE who are vulnerable on their travels. Son got 21 pts against EVE in the reverse fixture. Both these sides suit Son far better than sides who park the bus.

Barnes has a tasty home fixture against ARS in GW38. I might even be bringing in Wood for that one.

One not on your list I would consider moving out is Wilson. He's in great form away from home but has been poor at the Vitality. He hasn't got a return at home since the visit of HUD at the beginning of December and then faces a tricky trip to CPL who have are one of the most defensive teams playing at home.
interesting analysis and thanks.

Am thinking both Man U and Arsenal have CS opps this week, and Man U the week after as well, so yes Shaw is on my radar, in for Chilwell.

Will Son play against Bournemouth? I appreciate the point, but the Ajax game is now critical and if Son gets injured...

I guess my biggest problem is having 8 forwards, all of who I can argue should play!
I'm no expert on these things but as a Spurs fan I simply can't imagine Son not starting against BOU. We were toothless against Ajax but we still need to ensure we get CL football next season. Moura was terrible in midweek and vied with Dele to be the worst player on the pitch. As a team we are running on fumes, although having Sissoko back is a major boost.

Son didn't play on Tuesday due to suspension. Sure he will be needed for away leg of the semi but that is not until Wednesday evening so he will have enough rest anyway. He isn't a player who can't cope with a busy fixture schedule anyway, unlike for example, Llorente (who I will be benching).

Can you really make a case for playing Barnes at Goodison where they have kept 5 successive clean sheets?

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Fair points, and I have brought in Shaw and Jimenez for Chilwell and Wilson, with Son very much in my starting XI.

At present I have:

Gunn (Ryan)
TAA, Doherty, LaPorte, Shaw (Duffy)
Salah (c), Mane, Son, Pogba, Fraser
Jimenez (Vardy, Barnes)

I am not keen on Vardy on the bench given his form and tendency to do ok against bigger sides, but am loathe to bench anyone else.

Fraser perhaps. Hmmm.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

raoul wrote: 03 May 2019, 14:53 Fair points, and I have brought in Shaw and Jimenez for Chilwell and Wilson, with Son very much in my starting XI.

At present I have:

Gunn (Ryan)
TAA, Doherty, LaPorte, Shaw (Duffy)
Salah (c), Mane, Son, Pogba, Fraser
Jimenez (Vardy, Barnes)

I am not keen on Vardy on the bench given his form and tendency to do ok against bigger sides, but am loathe to bench anyone else.

Fraser perhaps. Hmmm.
Yes. Son in my starting XI.

D'oh.

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

Having Son and his -2 was not as bad as you think. He is so highly owned that it makes no odds, unless of course you had the misfortune to captain him.
I see you went Fraser over Vardy so it is starting to look a good week for your team, well done and I hope it continues.
What plans for Son, Doherty and Jimminez?

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Oxford NZ wrote: 05 May 2019, 06:20 Having Son and his -2 was not as bad as you think. He is so highly owned that it makes no odds, unless of course you had the misfortune to captain him.
I see you went Fraser over Vardy so it is starting to look a good week for your team, well done and I hope it continues.
What plans for Son, Doherty and Jimminez?
Thankfully I captained Salah. On 47 pts so far with 4 left to play and very happy with that.

Final week could be tricky given both Son and Salah might need replacement. Will play Jimenez I suspect. Doherty benched perhaps.

dod
FISOhead

Post by dod »

I only took the armband off of Son at the last moment and it would typify my season if Sterling is a no-show today and Son becomes my captain :lol: .

I thought he was unlucky to be sent off though and was looking dangerous before that happened. Dier should have had 3 yellows and given away a penalty and I think Pawson was overcompensating for his previous mistakes when he dismissed Son, for what looked to me at the time, a pretty innocuous incident. I haven't watched it again yet so maybe there was more to it. It was certainly very out of character for Son though and Lerma made a huge meal out of it.

I've also got Salah, so will be waiting on team news, but Son looks an easy swap to Bilva who is the one MCI player who seems to score better away from home.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

am also looking at Bilva and almost brought him in this week.

Can't believe I have jumped all the way up to 165k after being double that 2 weeks ago, especially as I have had no chips to use. Only have 4 players left this week and am expecting to fall a bit given the marquee names I don't have, especially Hazard, Aguero, Sterling and the Arsenal forwards.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

well, I did indeed fall. From 165k to 166k. Got away with one there.

GW38 PREVIEW

Gunn/Ryan
TAA/Doherty/LaPorte/Duffy/Shaw
Salah/Mane/Pogba/Son/Fraser
Vardy/Jimenez/Barnes

0.0 itb. And 1 FT.

If I play 343 andhave Doherty as 1st sub, it works.

But I probably need a new GK, and that might necessitate a hit to afford one meaning Son can go as well.

Concerned that several managers will either rest players (Watford), or give squad players a run (almost anyone except MC and Liv).

Travers in? Would avoid a hit...

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

SEASON REVIEW

In GW38, Son became BSilva. Got 60pts, and fell to 172,658th … but am pretty happy with that given where I was.

Some important lessons learned, and will be playing next season with (drumroll...……)

……….. an actual plan.

I have re-run the current season using this plan (it is not dependent on specific players, other than Jimenez - and as I picked him in GW1 it seemed ok to use him) and it looks decent. Needs a tweak, and intrigued to see player pricing next season.

100m did not seem a huge limiting factor this year. Suspect it will be a killer next season … unless midfielder pricing is cut a touch to offset increases in premium defenders?

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

This season's pricing is making thing's interesting.

I sense it could be some time before I have anything near a final selection, but:

- am thinking 532
- a Salah/Sterling captaincy spot in M1 (which will likely eat around 8 transfers for the season if it sticks)

Heaton
Mendy, LaPorte, Robertson, VVD, Digne
Salah, Son, Pereyra
Kane, King

Wickham, Hayden, Chalobah, Woodman as subs

Not sure on both Kane and Son but need one of them as my third captain, and of course Son would not be there until GW3.

What do you think? Is 532 chasing last season's points? Does the 6/6.5 zone of forwards indicate 523 or 433 is better? DCL to replace Pereyra perhaps?

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: ?

Post by itslikebrandnew »

I've not really played the game before so don't fully understand it yet. However after spending ages playing around with my team i think 5-2-3 is the strongest formation.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Yep. Pereira v DCL. If the latter starts then 523 it will be

dod
FISOhead

Post by dod »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 16:00 I've not really played the game before so don't fully understand it yet. However after spending ages playing around with my team i think 5-2-3 is the strongest formation.
The bolded part is undoubtedly true. Given that; what is the reason for writing the second part? :?

It is the equivalent of me saying "I know nothing at all about string theory or quantum chromodynamics and have only a basic grasp of mathematics, but after watching Star Trek I think there must be at least 13 dimensions of space-time."

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

dod wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 02:56
itslikebrandnew wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 16:00 I've not really played the game before so don't fully understand it yet. However after spending ages playing around with my team i think 5-2-3 is the strongest formation.
The bolded part is undoubtedly true. Given that; what is the reason for writing the second part? :?

It is the equivalent of me saying "I know nothing at all about string theory or quantum chromodynamics and have only a basic grasp of mathematics, but after watching Star Trek I think there must be at least 13 dimensions of space-time."
:lol:

Thing is, they are going to have to make a decision at some point, and for a rookie gut feel might be just about the only thing in town (laced with a lot of conflicting thoughts from the fiso nation).

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Because i'm entitled to my opinion......btw i think you need to work on your simile examples.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

raoul wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 08:14

Thing is, they are going to have to make a decision at some point, and for a rookie gut feel might be just about the only thing in town (laced with a lot of conflicting thoughts from the fiso nation).

Nope, it's clear to me that 5-2-3 looks my strongest formation. Whether it transfers over well into gameplay i've no idea.........but we'll see.

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ...bears no responsibility for bad points forecasts
FS Record: 2nd TFFE 2008, FPL 3 top 10k finishes

Post by Patrician »

For what it is worth, I am also leaning towards a 5 at the back formation this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 09:16

Because i'm entitled to my opinion......btw i think you need to work on your simile examples.
Yes, I'm not fond of quantum chromodynamics myself. How about this -

I've not eaten everything that is available in Greggs, but I think the Steak bake is the best option for lunch.

:D

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

everyone is entitled to an opinion, including the opinion that someone else's opinion is wrong.

Getting back to the matter in hand, the general consensus on here seems to be:

- MC and Liv will be the top 2, and by a distance
- premium defenders have seen price rises that are less than expected
- there is far less value in lower priced players than last season
- GK at 4.5m are hard to spot

Based on the above, packing the back with quality seems a far from silly way forward, and I don't think I have spotted a single 352 or 343 suggestion on here yet.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

raoul wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 10:30 everyone is entitled to an opinion, including the opinion that someone else's opinion is wrong.

Getting back to the matter in hand, the general consensus on here seems to be:

- MC and Liv will be the top 2, and by a distance
- premium defenders have seen price rises that are less than expected
- there is far less value in lower priced players than last season
- GK at 4.5m are hard to spot

Based on the above, packing the back with quality seems a far from silly way forward, and I don't think I have spotted a single 352 or 343 suggestion on here yet.
Someone elses opinion can't be wrong because it's just their opinion.

I've gone with Gunn as main keeper at 4.5m and assuming he's the number 1 keeper i reckon he could hit 140 to 150 points.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Were at risk of semantics taking over. If you think X is best and I think Y, then by definition we believe the other to be wrong.

Most opinions are subjective so of course it is not about actual right and wrong.

Opinions will always get more ears when they have some logical arguments behind them. Saying you have no idea then concluding is not exactly convincing. I suspect your opinion is going to have a lot of support because others who have presented such logic are often reaching the same view. In fact I suspect you have some logical basis and the comment about knowing little was the more questionable bit :)

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

I entered a team last season but didnt log in to check it as sky ff took up most of my time. I know nothing of the day to day aspect of the game so my assumption of 5-2-3 is based on value for money rather than any experience of the game.

For all i know 5-2-3 could be known to cause issues in weeky play.

dod
FISOhead

Post by dod »

Hotpot wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 10:20

I've not eaten everything that is available in Greggs, but I think the Steak bake is the best option for lunch.

Yeah that's a better example than mine.

Apologies for taking this thread in an off-topic direction but this whole "All opinions are valid" thing is one of my pet hates :roll: . If you need a new cornea the opinion of the eye surgeon is valid; that of the tree surgeon is not.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

dod wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 15:46

Apologies for taking this thread in an off-topic direction but this whole "All opinions are valid" thing is one of my pet hates :roll: . If you need a new cornea the opinion of the eye surgeon is valid; that of the tree surgeon is not.

Depends where they both get their data from to form that opinion.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 16:00

years of eye surgery and years of tree surgery one would imagine, but anyway...

dod
FISOhead

Post by dod »

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

raoul wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 16:03
itslikebrandnew wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 16:00

years of eye surgery and years of tree surgery one would imagine, but anyway...
What if the eye surgeon had retired and was suffering from dementia and the tree surgeon was the husband of the woman with the eye problem and was just passing on the phone message from the hospital/gp/new eye surgeon who's taken over?

Anyway the point is when you assume rather than know all the facts it's when conclusions are jumped to and mistakes are made.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

the point is that you started this by saying you knew nothing then proferring a conclusion. Were you passing on a message about the best formation from someone else who does know?

We are veering off course in rather sensational fashion. Shall we take a breath and carry on - by concluding that there seems to be a lot of evidence implying 532 or 523 (or maybe even 541) looks like the best chance of success?

Jarngard
Kevin and Perry

Post by Jarngard »

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
- Charles Bukowski

If your data set is limited to last season, the 5 at the back seems like a very good idea. It might be a good idea this season too. I might do it myself. But then again, it might also not apply to this season at all.
Last edited by Jarngard on 03 Jul 2019, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Stena Bib
FISOhead
FS Record: Finished 530 FPL 2018/19

Post by Stena Bib »

Jarngard wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 20:09 "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
- Charles Bukowski

If your data set is the scores from lasr season, it will be very hard not to conclude that 5 at the back is the way to go. This might be true. It might also be false.
Liverpool and Man City were very dominant last season. There seems no logical reason for this not to continue.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”