To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

SirMattBugsby RMT: Believe!

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

SirMattBugsby RMT: Believe!

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Hi. Caught with the FPL bug this season and been thinking about my approach to the game. My backline has been pants lately and it's gonna be a bloodbath if I don't do something.

Elliot/Foster
Mustafi/Jones/Daniels/Ward/Naughton

1 FT, 0.1 ITB

Requirements
Sell Daniels (terrible fixtures)
Get a 4 ish enabler
Have Man United cover
Have a good GK option every week

I plan to have 2 FTs for GW 17 when I wish to make the changes. I have already identified high-cost targets to replace one of Jones or Mustafi (if required) as well as 4-4.5 defenders who rotate well with Ward and Naughton. Also, a GK to either rotate with or replace Foster.

Which brings me to my question. While making multiple changes to a backline, is it better to save transfers and money as much as possible? Or go with higher-priced targets with more surety of playing/scoring but involving higher costs and more transfers to facilitate funds?

Example in this case:

Economical approach
PICKFORD/Foster
Mustafi/Jones/MARIAPPA/Ward/Naughton

No hits taken,
Functioning defence, BUT
Constant Jones unsurety,
Expectation of decent return at best (~2 CS)
Need to change every 4 GWs or so

High-cost approach
Elliot/DE GEA
Mustafi/MORGAN/MARIAPPA/Ward/Naughton

I could go one step further and buy VERTONGHEN/CHRISTENSEN instead of Morgan for Jones. That would require a further hit and diversion of funds from mid/attack.

One (or two) hits taken
Less money for mid/attack, BUT
De Gea an ever-present
Expectation of really good returns (or am I mistaken?)
No need to waste FTs in short-medium term

So, which is the better approach? Made a post of this because, regardless of options, whether to invest/take hits on the backline is something I've been debating all season.

Thanks.
Last edited by SirMattBugsby on 04 Jan 2022, 14:21, edited 13 times in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Right approach in GK/DEF transfers: High cost-high reward or safe-and-economical?

Post by blahblah »

It's a bit early for me to read this... but:

I think that most of us have put more cash at the Back this season or at least have more BIG Club players eg Jones, Christensen, Kola\Davies, Alonso\Azpi et al than in the recent past.

I brought in Daniels a few weeks back, but he will almost certainly be gone after this GW; and a Hudd Def may come in GK for GW 18+to start..

Watford and Palace fit really well for a fair while, and you could play both for all but a few GW's until GW30.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Re: Right approach in GK/DEF transfers: High cost-high reward or safe-and-economical?

Post by Mav3rick »

Unless you're talking about an extreme end of the low/high cost strategy, there's not a great deal of difference really (so 3x4.5 and 2x4.0 would be inadvisable as would 5x6.5+).

The main thing about defenders for me is value, that doesn't mean cheap, it just means points above their price, relative to other defenders.

So the main way I would approach the question is not which is better, but who is the best value defender in the game right now (perhaps Christensen?) And then look at more expensive and cheaper players to see how they compare.

One thing to note is that usually space for at least a couple of good value, rotatable, cheap defenders is a good squad management tactic. This is because clean sheets tend to be a bit more predictable and that you can rotate the likes of Mee, Naughton etc to pretty efficient effect.

This year is a little different because of wingbacks. You need to make your own calls on if the various wingback types offer better value than other defenders, or if the money saved can earn back more points elsewhere.

Again though, you'd be looking at only the best (in terms of price/potential) wingbacks generally, not picking 5 expensive ones just because they are wingbacks.

On GKs specifically, cheap has generally been better in the last several years, because cheap keepers make up for lack of clean sheets with save's and BPs. DDG is having an amazing season and challenging that, so a lot depends on how much you think that may continue.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

Mav3rick wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 06:40 who is the best value defender in the game right now (perhaps Christensen?)
Agree with everything Mav3rick says.

I agree with the Christensen judgment, and think that I made a mistake in punting with Azpilicueta rather than Christensen. We shall revisit this.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

blahblah wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 06:20 I think that most of us have put more cash at the Back this season or at least have more BIG Club players eg Jones, Christensen, Kola\Davies, Alonso\Azpi et al than in the recent past.

I brought in Daniels a few weeks back, but he will almost certainly be gone after this GW; and a Hudd Def may come in GK for GW 18+to start..
5-5.5 range is what's troubling me. I've had Davies, Jones, Mustafi and Cedric in that bracket. Had to sell two of them and might have to do the same with Jones. Waste of FTs imo.
Mav3rick wrote: The main thing about defenders for me is value, that doesn't mean cheap, it just means points above their price, relative to other defenders.

So the main way I would approach the question is not which is better, but who is the best value defender in the game right now (perhaps Christensen?) And then look at more expensive and cheaper players to see how they compare.

One thing to note is that usually space for at least a couple of good value, rotatable, cheap defenders is a good squad management tactic. This is because clean sheets tend to be a bit more predictable and that you can rotate the likes of Mee, Naughton etc to pretty efficient effect.

This year is a little different because of wingbacks. You need to make your own calls on if the various wingback types offer better value than other defenders, or if the money saved can earn back more points elsewhere.

Again though, you'd be looking at only the best (in terms of price/potential) wingbacks generally, not picking 5 expensive ones just because they are wingbacks.

On GKs specifically, cheap has generally been better in the last several years, because cheap keepers make up for lack of clean sheets with save's and BPs. DDG is having an amazing season and challenging that, so a lot depends on how much you think that may continue.
Thanks for the detailed response Mav. Generally agree with you.

Regarding value, like I said above, it's the 5-5.5 range which is disappointing me. For me, a defender in that range should be dependable, who gets me points on a bad day for the 6.0+ defender. Instead, I'm worrying on a weekly basis whether they'll start or not. Christensen might soon fall into that category as well.

My present take on this is, if you want a 5-5.5 def and do not want to make regular transfers, there are two options:

1) Get a def from a midtable team, because that def will likely be their main man. Eg. van Dijk, Maguire
2) From top teams, get one more def than needed. So if I have Mustafi, Jones and Christensen, I can stay assured that two of them will feature.

Wing-backs.. I'll stay away from them for now. Lot of rotation there, and even players like Alonso, Walker and Valencia will miss games over the next month.

Do want de Gea though. He's virtually a defender now with all those save points. Solves several problems in my backline for 5.8

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Fluked first season

Post by No Way Jose »

jones will be back this weekend or midweek if that's any help and the same for mustafi who you may have already sold however

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Mav3rick wrote: This year is a little different because of wingbacks. You need to make your own calls on if the various wingback types offer better value than other defenders, or if the money saved can earn back more points elsewhere.

Ruth did some maffs and stuff which kinda blew the doors off this?

Currently PmP wise Baily and Mustafi are the top 2 Def's, then Dave, Jones and Kola (Excluding Zee, due to lack of matches.)
SirMattBugsby wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 04:01 Thanks for the detailed response Mav. Generally agree with you.

Regarding value, like I said above, it's the 5-5.5 range which is disappointing me. For me, a defender in that range should be dependable, who gets me points on a bad day for the 6.0+ defender. Instead, I'm worrying on a weekly basis whether they'll start or not. Christensen might soon fall into that category as well.

My present take on this is, if you want a 5-5.5 def and do not want to make regular transfers, there are two options:

1) Get a def from a midtable team, because that def will likely be their main man. Eg. van Dijk, Maguire
2) From top teams, get one more def than needed. So if I have Mustafi, Jones and Christensen, I can stay assured that two of them will feature.

Wing-backs.. I'll stay away from them for now. Lot of rotation there, and even players like Alonso, Walker and Valencia will miss games over the next month.

Do want de Gea though. He's virtually a defender now with all those save points. Solves several problems in my backline for 5.8
GK's are odd though: yes you can get de Gea and leave him between the sticks, or you can get 2 Cheapies and swap them about: so it is not a straight forward comparison.... If you have de Gea and non-playing 4m then you are in trouble if he gets injured\suspended?

The "Mustafi, Jones and Christensen" idea is the one that I think most here are going with. I have Kola rather than Mustafi with Davies and Daniels near the exit door. For me the fixture runs are more relevant for defenders, especially from mid\low table Clubs - then it is a question of price and attacking\BP potential; with a wad of Club Form chucked in. For example if Woy has turned Palace round then they are possible\probably buys depending on fixtures.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

It's the same as any FPL question - buy players who are great value. If there isn't a good 5-5.5 option don't pick one.

Most of what people have said above is true. Maybe the only difference this season is that, thus far, Burnley have provided cheap defenders that seem relatively fixture proof (certainly you'd bench a lot less than usual for the price).

Agree though you don't want to be taking too many gambles as the transfers will start to cost.

I also think people underrate the value of goals and assists, I've rarely regretted paying extra for that over and above a minimum price option, unless total bench fodder. People forget you don't just have a £ budget you have an 11 players on the pitch budget; extra points from goals and assists are great, especially as they often attract bonus points.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep: I even did well from deludedly bringing in Baines as he got a wad of attacking points.

Even Pickford has done me proud - I had him at the start of the season, for their fixture run and rotated well with Huddersfield - and Lossl has been more than adequate.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

No Way Jose wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 06:34 jones will be back this weekend or midweek if that's any help and the same for mustafi who you may have already sold however
It's actually quite silly on my part that I've held on to Jones for this long but am starting to get restless now. Must resist..

Haven't sold either and hope they feature. Mustafi, especially.
hancockjr wrote: It's the same as any FPL question - buy players who are great value. If there isn't a good 5-5.5 option don't pick one.

Most of what people have said above is true. Maybe the only difference this season is that, thus far, Burnley have provided cheap defenders that seem relatively fixture proof (certainly you'd bench a lot less than usual for the price).

Agree though you don't want to be taking too many gambles as the transfers will start to cost.

I also think people underrate the value of goals and assists, I've rarely regretted paying extra for that over and above a minimum price option, unless total bench fodder. People forget you don't just have a £ budget you have an 11 players on the pitch budget; extra points from goals and assists are great, especially as they often attract bonus points.
I think there's a slight difference this season, and that's the three-man defence being prominent. Because of it, there are more defenders, some of them cheap. But some of them are also prone to rotation, or being dropped entirely if the manager changes to two CBs. None of Man United's current back three might start in the next three games..

So if I have Mustafi and Jones, I'd want another 5-5.5 (say, Smalling) to ensure two of them play. This actually comes out similar in cost to a 6.5+5+4.5 but it's the uncertainty around their playing time which bugs me.
blahblah wrote:
GK's are odd though: yes you can get de Gea and leave him between the sticks, or you can get 2 Cheapies and swap them about: so it is not a straight forward comparison.... If you have de Gea and non-playing 4m then you are in trouble if he gets injured\suspended?

The "Mustafi, Jones and Christensen" idea is the one that I think most here are going with. I have Kola rather than Mustafi with Davies and Daniels near the exit door. For me the fixture runs are more relevant for defenders, especially from mid\low table Clubs - then it is a question of price and attacking\BP potential; with a wad of Club Form chucked in. For example if Woy has turned Palace round then they are possible\probably buys depending on fixtures.
Yes, it might be a problem if de Gea is injured/suspended, but that likelihood is less for a GK, no? Right now, he seems to be the most sure-fire way to ensure MUN defence every week. Only other way I can achieve that is by having two MUN defenders, which isn't a bad strategy itself. However, with de Gea's points and ownership and me being a Man United fan, I don't wish to have any more feelings of conflict on days like Arsenal. :D

If I do get de Gea though, I will treat him like a defender, which means downgrading one DEF to avoid reallocating too much money. So my desired backline with DDG would go from:
Elliot/Foster
Mustafi/Jones/Daniels/Ward/Naughton

To

Elliot/DDG
Mustafi/Jones/MARIAPPA/Ward/Naughton

The alternative is:
PICKFORD/Foster
Mustafi/Jones/SMALLING/Ward/Naughton

which actually costs 0.1 more.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

I get the feeling that with a lot of cheaper defenders from top teams not being regular (eg Chelsea, MUN, Spurs), it's the GKs who are becoming a reliable option. Either get a 6.5+ or the GK. Else, be prepared for regular transfers in DEF.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I'm not really convinced that's the case as it's only DDG that is making me look at anyone other than a cheap keeper as usual. I understand the pull to compare defenders to keepers, but it's not a fair comparison due to the extra performance you can extract from a cheap keeper.

I had a look at save % this week and DDG currently (for this season) on 83% from the second highest shots against, with his personal save rate over the previous 4 seasons remarkably consistent at 72%. Now, I'm happy to accept that he's improved as he is clearly a great keeper, however over the last 5 seasons (including this one so far) only Ospina has ever finished a season over 80%.

FFS have also done an analysis on shot quality, and it's not that DDG is just fielding shots from distance as Burnley seem to force, he is making hugely difficult and impressive saves that are keeping clean sheets in tact.

Heaton in all his magnificence last year was 76%, and Courtois has also been, remarkably, consistent at the 72% level. I think it's more likely that DDG starts letting in more goals, and if the clean sheets dry up, he becomes an expensive Fabianski.

What's special about DDG this year is that he is doing both roles that expensive and cheap keepers normally do exclusively - he is making a tonne of saves and BPs, and is getting clean sheets too. Without the saves, he's no differerent to Courtois and without the cleansheets, he's no different to Pope/Fabianski.

If both continue, he's a game changer though.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Mav3rick wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 12:36 I'm not really convinced that's the case as it's only DDG that is making me look at anyone other than a cheap keeper as usual. I understand the pull to compare defenders to keepers, but it's not a fair comparison due to the extra performance you can extract from a cheap keeper.

I had a look at save % this week and DDG currently (for this season) on 83% from the second highest shots against, with his personal save rate over the previous 4 seasons remarkably consistent at 72%. Now, I'm happy to accept that he's improved as he is clearly a great keeper, however over the last 5 seasons (including this one so far) only Ospina has ever finished a season over 80%.

FFS have also done an analysis on shot quality, and it's not that DDG is just fielding shots from distance as Burnley seem to force, he is making hugely difficult and impressive saves that are keeping clean sheets in tact.

Heaton in all his magnificence last year was 76%, and Courtois has also been, remarkably, consistent at the 72% level. I think it's more likely that DDG starts letting in more goals, and if the clean sheets dry up, he becomes an expensive Fabianski.

What's special about DDG this year is that he is doing both roles that expensive and cheap keepers normally do exclusively - he is making a tonne of saves and BPs, and is getting clean sheets too. Without the saves, he's no differerent to Courtois and without the cleansheets, he's no different to Pope/Fabianski.

If both continue, he's a game changer though.
Impressive stats Mav, thanks for that!

I personally think this Man United team is different from what Mourinho generally likes to have. Here, he has a rotating defence, more men in attack to make up for the lack of quality. He usually banks on his one or two world-class attackers to win games. Here, it's the reverse: a world-class GK who gives him the confidence to commit more men in attack.

So far, de Gea is living up to it and then some. He's actually making me look forward to the CL games. :lol:

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Want Foster/Elliot and Daniels out but I might keep them this week after all. Why? Because they are playing. Yes folks, it's that time of the year again.

Mustafi the only viable transfer if he's not playing. Safe-economical wins for now.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Some interesting developments after GW 17:

1) DEF looks good value again. CS were in abundance. I got 52 despite not scoring a single goal!
2) Through a mixture of desperation, uncertainty and faith in Man United defence, I now have Smalling + Jones.

Pros: Make up for lack of de Gea
Reasonable certainty of at least one of them playing.
Cons: Doubling up never feels right. Especially two defenders rather than GK+1.

3) Some new cheap options. Everton, West Ham, Long and Taylor at Burnley. Leicester too, especially to rotate with Burnley.

I'm starting to think it's time to go big in defence. 4-5-1 with a playing D5.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Def for GW 18:

Foster (Elliot)
Smalling Jones Ward Ogbonna (Naughton first sub)

Did Daniels :arrow: Ogbonna. Thought of taking a hit to get Pickford but didn't seem worth it, Pardew hasn't yet made West Brom his team :lol:

If anything, I'm reducing the value of my defence :!: This might change in the next two weeks, as I might feel the need for an Arsenal or Chelsea defender. For now, I'll hope for a boring 0-0 from WBA-MUN.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Didn't work. MUN didn't keep a CS, Ward injured and Swansea's wretched form meant I got one CS. I need a defender from Chelsea, so time to invest more.

I'll keep the double MUN defence for now. Unlike most, will keep Ward as well even if he comes back in GW 23, as it will save me a transfer down the line. Did the same with Jones. Is it the right approach, especially during this hectic schedule?

My focus is more on Naughton. Doing Naughton to Christensen will give me a back three of Smalling, Jones and Christensen with Ogbonna D4 for GWs 20-21 and beyond. Only problem might be in GW 21 (Ogbonna BGW) if one or even two of my three get rotated. Burnley have a good fixture that week so I hope Ward returns.

Naughton stays for this GW, probably gone for GW 20.

Def for GW 19:

Foster (Elliot)
Smalling Jones Naughton Ogbonna (Ward)

Would ideally play only one MUN defender against Leicester, but Morata injury forces my hand. Approach remains low-budget for now.

Good luck everyone!

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Okay, this isn't working. My def got me a grand total of SIX points. :oops: Thankfully the mid and attack got me the other 61.

Now, with Smalling and Naughton joining Ward on the injury list, I've pulled the trigger and finally have Christensen. Got him in for Ward because:

1) Having both Smalling and Jones was because I wanted a MUN defender every week regardless. Smalling injury sort of validates that theory so I'm willing to test it out.

2) Didn't have enough cash for Naughton :arrow: Christensen, period. (1 mil)

The backline looks more expensive but still without attacking threat. Foster is a problem too. I'll take of two of those problems next week by transferring Naughton :arrow: Mbemba and Foster :arrow: Pickford (-4). This gives me for GW 22:

Pickford (Elliot)
Christensen Jones Ogbonna (Smalling Mbemba)

Regarding attacking threat, I have my eyes on, predictably, Otamendi. If the Smalling-Jones experiment doesn't work, I'll get him.

Def for GW 21:
Foster (Elliot)
Christensen Jones Smalling (Ogbonna Naughton)

Lord have mercy..

PS. Lesson for the week- Don't double up in cheap defence.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

After the conversation in STC I decided to revive this thread.

My experience from this season is, going cheap in defence is equally risky, perhaps even more than in a premium one. The cheap defenders are:

1) Not-so-nailed ones from top teams who don't start at the worst possible time.

2) More regular ones from teams like Burnley and Leicester who have their ups and downs and need replacing from time to time.

I did try to spread the non-playing risk by having five playing defenders for a 3-5-2 but it's unsatisfactory. Will definitely go for atleast one premium DEF slot next season, maybe even this season as well on a WC.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

I think for me one premium D2 in the 5.5-6 range, one super premium in the 6-7 range and the 3 rotators in the 4-5 range is ideal.

For me it's mostly been alonso and jones but for a while I doubled up on Chelsea premiums with azpi and it paid off mostly

All depends on your style really and where the value is. This season most of the value has been in midfield so having alonso for example hasn't meant too much of a compromise in midfield

I've definitely learnt some lessons in my first season and I think 1 will be to allow for a D5 rotter if needed early in the season when rotation risk is lower before moving away from a mariappa for example to a nailed 4.5 for the Christmas period and beyond. Mostly because of the need to use TFs for attacking moves preferably and the risk of not having 11

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

@NWJ A defensive rotter (4.0) in D5 early in the season is certainly a good and viable tactic imo. Many, like myself, started with Long in that spot this season. That spot is usually the third sub and the 100m budget is stretched enough as it is plus, crucially, you have a WC in the back pocket to reshape the squad structure as and when you want to. Given that most deploy that WC within the first eight weeks and carrying a dead spot 4.0 really isn’t an issue.

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

100%! Looking back I subconsciously was aiming for 15 starters who could contribute and unless I can scout an amazing base price player or 2 next season I will likely start with a squad of 14 contributors

WC 6-8 as you say is a good insurance against wasting TFs on these positions

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Yes to the rotter (Initially thought you guys misspelled 'rotator' but no, you do want him rotting on the bench lol). I had Rosenior.

Now that I remember, it's during the beginning of the season that the cheap DEF brought me some joy. Like several others, I had 3 premium attackers in a 4-3-3.

Having four of them (Cedric, Ward, Naughton, Jones) ensured I caught one CS or another, while the six attackers were good, or expensive enough to deliver consistently. Hasn't worked so well in a 3-5-2..

Another thing I might try now is the defensive double-up. NWJ mentioned this and many others (Baganboy, AR, Ruth) used it in Chelsea's case to great effect. Meanwhile my double-up was Hazard and Morata..

Maybe I just need to give the defence their due It's funny, I normally love the defensive side of the game, just hasn't translated into FPL preference.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Need a possible replacement for Jones upto 6.0 and maybe an upgrade on Foster upto 5.0 .

Foster is a GW 31 player so I probably won't sell him, but I like the look of Butland. Feel he's better than Pickford and Stoke have more to play for than Everton, who haven't really taken to Allardyce.

As for the 6 mil defender, my preferred options (Monreal, Vertonghen) are injured. I'm actually not sure if Jones needs replacing, he should be first-choice if fit and Man United defender ownership is big enough to have coverage.

Then there's Burnley. Their defence seems to be suffering the same fate as Man United's. After staying strong in the first half of the season, they seem unable to keep shots out and eventually one goes in. Still, they are highly owned too and I was slightly lucky not to fall behind, thanks to Gabbiadini.

With these factors in mind, I'm considering the best option from the following pools of GK and DEF:

GK: Butland, Pickford, de Gea, Pope

DEF: Davies, Bellerin, Bauer, Bailly, Dawson, Schindler

As always, opinions and suggestions welcome. Out of the box thinking, even more so

EDIT: Add Mee to the list. Maguire maybe, but I'd rather triple up on Leicester attack!

Last edited by SirMattBugsby on 28 Feb 2018, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

skip
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: UFPL beta winner 2014, OFL ISO winner 2013

Post by skip »

SirMattBugsby wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 08:30 Need a possible replacement for Jones upto 6.0 and maybe an upgrade on Foster upto 5.0 .

Foster is a GW 31 player so I probably won't sell him, but I like the look of Butland. Feel he's better than Pickford and Stoke have more to play for than Everton, who haven't really taken to Allardyce.

As for the 6 mil defender, my preferred options (Monreal, Vertonghen) are injured. I'm actually not sure if Jones needs replacing, he should be first-choice if fit and Man United defender ownership is big enough to have coverage.

Then there's Burnley. Their defence seems to be suffering the same fate as Man United's. After staying strong in the first half of the season, they seem unable to keep shots out and eventually one goes in. Still, they are highly owned too and I was slightly lucky not to fall behind, thanks to Gabbiadini.

With these factors in mind, I'm considering the best option from the following pools of GK and DEF:

GK: Butland, Pickford, de Gea, Pope

DEF: Davies, Bellerin, Bauer, Bailly, Dawson, Schindler

As always, opinions and suggestions welcome. Out of the box thinking, even more so Image

For GK I think you have a good shortlist. I like Butland most as he has home fixtures in the blank gameweeks, and plan to pair him with a GK who will have double GWs. Adrian is ok for me here as I have him already, but DeGea is easily best if you can afford it.

For defenders I think Davies and Bellerin are both explosive and good shouts. The others are a little meh.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

skip wrote:
For GK I think you have a good shortlist. I like Butland most as he has home fixtures in the blank gameweeks, and plan to pair him with a GK who will have double GWs. Adrian is ok for me here as I have him already, but DeGea is easily best if you can afford it.

For defenders I think Davies and Bellerin are both explosive and good shouts. The others are a little meh.
Thanks skip. I've been looking to pump money into the defence for some time and finally have 1 mil spare. Better late than never.

Yes, Butland looks promising for the rest of the season. Stoke look like a team that will depend on cleansheets to stay up and I think they'll succeed.

I'd ideally want a Spurs defender but their backline is slightly unsettled because of injuries and rotation. Davies could be rested for an easy home game before UCL, like the HUD game this weekend. So the defender transfer is on hold for now.

You still Kaneless? I sadly jumped ship. Was fun while it lasted, although a bit unnerving at times.

skip
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: UFPL beta winner 2014, OFL ISO winner 2013

Post by skip »

SirMattBugsby wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 14:34
skip wrote:

Thanks skip. I've been looking to pump money into the defence for some time and finally have 1 mil spare. Better late than never.

Yes, Butland looks promising for the rest of the season. Stoke look like a team that will depend on cleansheets to stay up and I think they'll succeed.

I'd ideally want a Spurs defender but their backline is slightly unsettled because of injuries and rotation. Davies could be rested for an easy home game before UCL, like the HUD game this weekend. So the defender transfer is on hold for now.

You still Kaneless? I sadly jumped ship. Was fun while it lasted, although a bit unnerving at times.

I brought Harry back this week, was always the play even with Aguero’s hattie. He should stay now through my likely wildcard in 36, unless I feel really strongly about Aubameyang who I can’t fit in alongside Kane and Firmino.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

GW 31 Defenders

Options in defence (and in general) are really short for the blank GW. So much so that I am considering a 2-4-3 formation at best or a 2-3-2 to avoid hits.

The big question is if these defenders are worth getting in two weeks or one week early instead of, say, a Spurs defender. Everton are one option in GW 29 and Huddersfield in GW 30, both in the 4.5 category. Stoke in GW 31 itself.

The ideal backline will probably be LIV STK HUD/BOU wba/eve. But any more than two will cost me hits since I don't have Shaqiri or Walcott/Siggy.

In a nutshell:

1) Will GW 31 Defenders return in the preceding GWs?

2) If not, are they worth a hit (i.e, how likely are they to return in GW 31 itself?)

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

GW 29

Jones->D. Sanchez

Davies was the preferred choice but I wasn't sure he'll start against Huddersfield. Sanchez is safer because of Alderweireld's injury. He got BPs last two GWs as well so I'm hopeful. No own-goals please..

Foster (Elliott)
Sanchez VvD Naughton (Ogbonna Dunk)

Slightly healthier backline now. The dream is to add de Gea and Alonso at the opportune time. Let's go!

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Defence did well for me last time. Cleansheets from VvD and Sanchez and finally! A goal from Dunk on the right side. Got his points from second sub though so slightly lucky.

GW 30

In a dilemma this week. VvD plays Man United away which could or could not be a CS. Spurs play Bournemouth away after that disappointing CL result. Swansea and Brighton play away while Ogbonna is not certain.

Right now I'm on (in order):

Foster (Elliott)
Sanchez Ogbonna VvD (Naughton Dunk)

I could get Schindler or Lascelles in but think I might be wasting a FT when all of them are playing, a CS could come from anywhere and I have Sterling to deal with. Gameweeks like these are when I usually get to bank my transfer (and get jammy Dunk points )

Any suggestions will be welcome.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”