To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Turd Ferguson - It's a funny squad

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Re: Turd Ferguson - It's a funny squad

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Ron Popeil players

I have this personal concept I wrote about a few years ago called the fundamental team. I borrow the term fundamental from finance, where it means to invest in companies because of their strong fundamentals: good cash flow, low debt, lack of competitors, etc. The fundamental team is the team of players who will deliver the best performance over the course of the season based on their underlying situation, ignoring form, fixture runs and HOHO opportunities. It’s the buy and hold team.

I have a catchier term for those players. They’re Ron Popeil players. Brits might not recognize the name. He’s an American telemarketer whose best tagline was for a rotisserie oven where you could stick a piece of meat in and then “set it and forget it.” Any American of age in the 90s would know the tagline and laugh if you brought it up.

[youtube] https://youtu.be/Nb91-j861DI[/youtube]

It’s essential to have some players you can Ron Popeil, otherwise you’ll be taking hits every week. If you’ve got 5 of them, then there’s only 10 slots in your team you need to be considering transfers on. If you’ve got 7 or 8 players Ron Popeiling, suddenly you only have a handful left that you need to focus on, and you can HOHO without excess hits.

The challenge, of course, is identifying the right players.

The list of players as I see them

Reece James
Ruben Dias

Grealish

Bamford
DCL
Brewster

Ideally your 2nd goalie and 5th defender matter so little that you can set and forget. There tends to be upwards of a dozen 4.5 defenders who are similarly decent value that you just pick one and Ron Popeil him.

Martinez will be my goalie because he’s the one I already own, but I could see a case to be made for a handful of keepers this year. It’s not as cut and dry as the last few years where we could take the Burnley goalie for 4.5.

One of the tricky parts of the season, that i see others grappling with, is that we have 4 super premiums who are legitimately performing to their price: Salah, KdB, Bruno, Kane. It’s been a few seasons since the 10+ price range has been so competitive and it’s making it near impossible to Ron Popeil our captain options.

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Anyone know how to get the YouTube video to embed properly?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Turd Ferguson wrote: Anyone know how to get the YouTube video to embed properly?
All you do is to click the YouTube link and then paste the video ID (the bit after v=) into the space between the brackets. For instance, the ID for this is fqX30fuRkhE.

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Leaving this here for reference. I need to give it a deeper read and some of you should find it if interest.

https://www.thesignificantgame.com/port ... top-teams/

Turd Ferguson
FISOhead

Post by Turd Ferguson »

WC2: Going For It Edition

I’m sat on 88k overall having stagnated after reaching 58k in GW25. Part of that is due to chips: I still have WC, FH and BB to go, giving me an outside chance at top 10k if I play them well.

Wildcard:
Mendy/Forster
TAA/Dias/Alonso/Rudiger/Holding
Salah/Son/Jota/Gundo/Saka
Kane/Aguero/Iheanacho

A lot of people are abandoning City, but I’m going to free hit in 33, which swerves their blank. It’s rare that you get a chance to gain on the field using players from the best team in the league. A game like Leeds could see any number of goals, so it’s a chance to catch a mega haul. Aguero will be my captain this week, then he may become Vardy in 32. Lingard has outperformed his stats and I simply see this as a purple patch. I’m not a believer. Gundo stays in my team over him and Neto.

I’ve tripled up on Chelsea defence. I don’t think they’ll be as good as they have been, but I do think they’ll be 2nd best after City. The value is there, and with Chilwell playing in the CL, Alonso is as good a bet for a 15 pointer as anyone. There seems to be a good chance of a Southampton double in 35, so I can bench Mendy when they play City that week. In a way, their loss to WBA is a good thing because they have some work left to do to secure top 4.

Bruno can go to hell. I’ll include him on my FH in 33 but that’s probably it. Greenwood may come in for Son/Jota/Gundo if it looks like he has a more attacking role in Martial’s absence.

Bench boost will be deployed whenever it looks like there’s a good opportunity. I’m not trying to smash a double gameweek, just give me 3 or 4 good fixtures and a chance at 15-20 points. The tricky part will be navigating the playing time of Jota, Gundo, etc. I’ll prob swap one or two of them for players who are more nailed when I want to BB.

Aguero back into the team to be captain in 38.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”