To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

R_NZ FPL Blog

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Re: R_NZ RMT Blog

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Wildcard Thoughts

Would ideally like to have a 5m GK (5.0 4.0) but that may or may not be possible, it depends on what is done elsewhere. If it has to be 4.5 4.0 so be it.

In attack it will likely start off as DCL, CR7, Bamford. Antonio could replace DCL or Bamford later but I suspect once out of my team he won't be back for a while. I will resist the idea of using the 6-7m forwards because although there is a cluster of possible options there (Wood, Edouard, Toney, Armstrong, Pukki) my experience is that playing at that level is a recipe for frustration and a lot of transfers. So that's approximately 28.5m for forwards. Total so far 37-37.5m roughly.

In defence my preference would be to have 3 main defenders from Liverpool, Chelsea, City (say 7.5 5.5 6.0) and a couple at 4.0 or thereabouts. It wouldn't start that way but I am looking at long-term shape here. That's 27m spend or so in defence but the problem with that is that it squeezes the midfield and requires me to use a 5.5m midfielder as a regular starter. That's not impossible, there is a cluster of interesting options at that level (Gray, Elyounoussi, Gallacher, Smith Rowe, Mbeumo) but the potential for hassle here is similar to the case with the 6-6.5m forwards.

Essentially that leads to the question of where and how to compromise.

One way would be to forego a premium slot in defence and make the 3rd defender slot a rotation. For example, White & Livramento rotate very well (assuming Livramento keeps his place) and Williams or Duffy could then be the additional defender. That would save 1m (maybe a little more) and would do the trick but would mean foregoing a City or Chelsea defender. That's not ideal but it would allow a 3-4-3 where the cheapest starting midfielder would be 6m+ and that's far more comfortable (Traoré, Sarr, Souček, Saka, Willock all within reach).

The other would be to choose a 4-3-3 structure with (for example) White & Livramento rotating as 4th defender (or Lowton & Livramento to give a home fixture every week as Burnley and Southampton are a rotation pair). That costs 0.5m more in defence but allows the 4th midfielder to be a 4.5m bench player, once again saving around 1m. I have used that kind of rotation before, essentially the two 4.5m (or so) midfielders become part of the rotation too and you are selecting 1-from-4, for example any one of White, Livramento, Sissoko or Allan would be playing every week.

The drawbacks with the 4-3-3 option are twofold. One is it cuts out the 6m midfielder bracket and there is some good potential there. Another is that you couldn't expect many points from that 11th playing slot, if you could manage 4 points per week on average from it that would be something of a miracle. So it puts extra pressure on the other 10 positions in the team.

That's a rough summation of what I am playing around with right now anyway. At least I have a full week to prepare, one reason I didn't wildcard last week was that it would have been a last-minute change of plan with insufficient time to think it through. As it turns out that would have been better than waiting but one week is never going to make or break a season.

Pepe_zys
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: 12000

Post by Pepe_zys »

Im against 4-3-3 personally. Just few weeks ago there were lots of people wanted to play 3-5-2 because of plenty of mid price midfield options. I know situation has changed and Ronaldo and Lukaku changed the environment and now we have to spend much more for attackers but still I think there is more points potential in lets say sub 6 midfielder then in cheap defender who you need to rotate. You're experienced enough to know that rotation often doesn't work just like you wish. The problem with so called "nailed defender" from Chelsea and City is that they may be occasionally benched. I lost some easy points like that. Rudiger as I can remember last season was benched against Everton home for example. I know cause I had him :) Dias played a lot but also not everything. 3-4-3 would be my preference and I'm going with my WC in this direction. Salah is one spot. I think one of Leeds and one of Wolves midfielders (i like Raphinha and Trincao but it can change after today) there's Sarr in the mix and maybe still one of WHU like Benrahma, Fornals. and 4th midfielder can be 7-7,5. In my case Torres, but I can stretch to 7,7 so it could be Jota, Greenwood or maybe even Pogba, though rather not. Attack is exactly the one you posted. CR7, Bamford and DCL.
I was supposed to WC GW4 but hesitate so long that finally I didn't push the button. Consequensces are -35 points for now. We'll see what happens after the game week finishes but yesterday was tough :)

zipnolan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ex FISODAS champ; 2009 TFF 95th, MOTW and TFF cup qtr finalist, TFFO 78th, FPL 346th. And a lot of rubbish.

Post by zipnolan »

I have to say that I am heartened by your decision to wildcard this week. I spent a mauvais quart-d'heure last night wondering whether to pull the trigger, and was rewarded by some brief respite this morning when none of Antonio, Toney or Brownhill had dropped. That won't last. Nevertheless, my team is already into a familiar entropic decline (this season accentuated by some truly vile starting decisions on baseline players), and I welcome your reminder that by sitting on one's hands during week 6 there will still be scope to execute some planned structural change for week 7. I look forward to your further ruminations. I have to say, though, that your hope for a 5.0 GK looks a bit eccentric to me - the 4.5s are doing ok, and are joined now by Ramsdale (who might be a useful WC differential at the price).

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Looks like a wc might be on the agenda for me as well - fighting too many injury/suspension/dropping fires to even worry about the under-performers otherwise. I'm pretty confident of the team shape I want just need to do some thinking about how I flesh that out. Might even have a play with a 3 premium team although I can't believe that is sustainable or efficient.

ajcairns
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Still Decidedly Average.

Post by ajcairns »

With the GKs you mention 5.0+4.0 or 4.5+4.0 but I wondered why not the 4.5+4.5? I went with Sanchez and Raya for the same 9.0 you were willing to spend but there’s 4 other GKs you could select from. Then use your skill to pick the player each week. Sure, you might get it wrong occasionally but at least you have some fun along the way trying to play the game.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

ajcairns wrote:With the GKs you mention 5.0+4.0 or 4.5+4.0 but I wondered why not the 4.5+4.5?
zipnolan wrote:I have to say, though, that your hope for a 5.0 GK looks a bit eccentric to me - the 4.5s are doing OK, and are joined now by Ramsdale (who might be a useful WC differential at the price).
OK, a little essay on GKs then. :wink:

GKs rotate less well than defenders. The reason for this is save points. If a GK gets a CS he has mostly had fewer saves to make, so he might score 6 or maybe 7 points. But in a game where his team is under pressure a GK can benefit from multiple save points, for example Bachmann in GW3 who made 6 saves in a 1-0 defeat and managed 4 points with no CS. And then sometimes the two come together; a GK has a stellar performance in keeping a CS, makes multiple saves and then adds 2-3 BPs as well. That is the fabled GK haul where the GK scores 10 or 11 points in one game. Martinez had a fair few of those last season.

For that reason, GK points are 'smoothed' across easier and tougher games in a way that defender points aren't (unless they score or assist). If you rotate 4.5m GKs you will tend to be chasing CSs and failing to take advantage of this part of what makes a GK very valuable component of your squad (statistically good managers will achieve more points per GW from their GK than they will average from their defenders). You will also tend to miss out on the GK hauls when they happen because those will be exactly the kind of games you will tend to bench them for.

The reason I'm keen on a 5m GK follows on from this. It isn't really a 5m GK in general, it's De Gea specifically. He is a brilliant GK when at his best and this season he seems to be in that kind of form. His manager has made a point of commenting on his determination and commitment in training as well and I feel fairly sure that he's now 1st choice at United again. I think he has his sights set on World Cup 2022. If that is correct then 5m for the GK of a title contender is something of a bargain.

United are an interesting team. They have been somewhat unlucky to only have 1 CS in 4 games so far but because they are very attacking they do concede shots, most of which DDG is able to deal with because many are from outside the box. In GW1, Ayling scored a 1-in-50 attempt from outside the box right into the corner, CS gone. In GW2 Adams' shot from the edge of the box was wickedly deflected for a Fred og, CS gone. And in GW4 Manquillo finished a difficult chance right into the corner as well.

Last season, OGS was quite pragmatic against the best teams (0-0 twice against Chelsea, 0-0 and 2-0 against City, 0-0 and 2-4 against Liverpool). 5 CSs there in 6 games against the best opponents. I'd expect a similar approach this season. Pogba may play alongside a DM in centre midfield in easier games but in tougher games I'd expect him to play off the left, allowing two of Matic/Fred/McTominay in the pivot. For that reason, United's upcoming difficult run from GW8-13 (lei LIV tot MCI wat che) is one I'd relish having De Gea for, whereas I wouldn't want (and won't have) any United outfielder for those games.

It's often like that for GKs; the parameters for selecting them are totally different to outfielders and often quite counter-intuitive.

Anyway, DDG is the specific 5m GK I have in mind, in my view he has high potential. Meslier could be similarly good if we were seeing Leeds as they played in the 2nd half of last season but so far they look more like the gung-ho version last season began with. So if it's not De Gea it will probably be a 4.5m option. Sa doesn't interest me at all because that's just a bet on CSs over the next period and probably builds a transfer in later on.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

The gamble with De Gea is whether he keeps his place. Wouldn't take much to be dropped. Also Ronaldo won't help them defensively at all.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Not many CFs do

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

thebillfella wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 21:25 Not many CFs do
Some really do, the ones who lead the press from the front. Ronaldo (like Messi) is in the bottom 1% of strikers for pressing.

Pepe_zys
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: 12000

Post by Pepe_zys »

I was wondering who to pick as my 2nd premium defender in WC. In theory it should be someone worth 5,5 or 6 and the best solution is City or Chelsea. But Chelsea fixtures swings in GW7 and City after Southampton game have Chelsea and Liverpool away. So checking defenders stats I found one quite not obvious solution. It's Matip. Good fixtures in next 2, nailed, healthy finally, 5.0 , 8 attempts on goal and only VVD had one more, 2 big chances. Both wasted. Historically Matip scored 5 goals in 99 PL games. In Schalke when he used to be healthy he scored regularly 3 goals per season. 17 altogether. I think I'll give a try and leave at least 0,5 itb (after last draft it's 1.1 itb in fact ) to upgrade for Rudiger or whatever Chelsea defender.

senorjoeyo
Red & Blue Braces

Post by senorjoeyo »

Pepe_zys wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 21:50 I was wondering who to pick as my 2nd premium defender in WC. In theory it should be someone worth 5,5 or 6 and the best solution is City or Chelsea. But Chelsea fixtures swings in GW7 and City after Southampton game have Chelsea and Liverpool away. So checking defenders stats I found one quite not obvious solution. It's Matip. Good fixtures in next 2, nailed, healthy finally, 5.0 , 8 attempts on goal and only VVD had one more, 2 big chances. Both wasted. Historically Matip scored 5 goals in 99 PL games. In Schalke when he used to be healthy he scored regularly 3 goals per season. 17 altogether. I think I'll give a try and leave at least 0,5 itb (after last draft it's 1.1 itb in fact ) to upgrade for Rudiger or whatever Chelsea defender.
Are you not worried there new centre back purchase could start to get minutes?

Aside from that though you've acknowledged his attacking threat is nothing special so you'd be looking for clean sheets where I'd argue city or Chelsea are both more likely to get.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

hancockjr wrote: The gamble with De Gea is whether he keeps his place. Wouldn't take much to be dropped.
Yep, that's the gamble. :)

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

The issue with Matip is that he blocks Jota for the period of time that Firminho is injured (presuming Mo & TAA). Apart from that it’s a reasonable call.

Rotating keepers or not rotating keepers
Every year there is talk about this. Last year was no different.
The potentially false premise above is that someone rotating keepers wouldn’t take all factors, including save points as well as CSs, into consideration when deciding which to play. The example I saw was of a small sample so can only be classed as anecdotal. However the conclusion was that it was possible to increase points by rotating keepers.
Remembering the source would obviously help.
Having said that I am unlikely to go down that route as the £0.5m saving will be useful further forward.
Separately I’d not go with DDG. In some teams the clean sheet for the keeper will garner bonus points. In the case of Man U this year I can’t see it happening often enough. There are too many players competing for BPS for De Gea to get a look in on a regular basis.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

I used rotating goalkeepers for the first half of last season, having done some small sample research on it pre-season. I ended up roughly a point a week in credit (+16pts over 17GWs) - but obviously that is an even smaller sample and equates to about three clean sheets. All documented on my blog. Despite that stunning success, I then pretty much abandoned it (or rather the DGWs etc made it too complicated to follow properly). I have a single GK this season but am not opposed to rotation in future.

I agree with SP about lack of bonus for DDG. But could work for a short period I guess.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Smurphy's Paw wrote:The potentially false premise above is that someone rotating keepers wouldn’t take all factors, including save points as well as CSs, into consideration when deciding which to play.
Not a false premise because given a choice between a GK with a difficult fixture and one with a relatively easy fixture the vast majority will take the easy fixture. Think about when you FH; you don't choose a GK on the basis that they will be busy and have a good chance of save points, do you? Does anyone? If you rotate GKs you will have a strong likelihood of benching the hauls and the fact that you could do otherwise doesn't mean that you would do otherwise.

But all that misses the point, which is that for a good, shot-stopping GK the variance between harder and easier fixtures is smoothed out by saves so rotation is by definition less useful.

As for the BPs for DDG, that's a fair point in the games where United score 3+ goals but not in the close ones. Take the Wolves game, the only one where they had a CS so far. DDG was 1 BPS point outside of the BPs; 1 more save and he'd have had 10 points rather than 7 in that game.

dod
FISOhead
FS Record: I have never won FPL.

Post by dod »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 20:56 Anyway, DDG is the specific 5m GK I have in mind, in my view he has high potential. Meslier could be similarly good if we were seeing Leeds as they played in the 2nd half of last season but so far they look more like the gung-ho version last season began with. So if it's not De Gea it will probably be a 4.5m option. Sa doesn't interest me at all because that's just a bet on CSs over the next period and probably builds a transfer in later on.
I'm currently on Sanchez but with my set-up I can afford to upgrade to any GK I want. None stand out though :( . Sa doesn't look good for save points or bonus. Lloris should be good for saves and baps but as a Spurs' fan I am aware that we have been very fortunate not to concede more and still don't trust our defence. Allison/Mendy/De Gea/Ederson eat up a prime team spot and are more expensive than some nailed defenders. De Gea also has competition from Henderson to worry about.

Schmeichel is probably the one I am most interested in once the LEI defence is at full strength.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

^ Potentially
Tools like Scout/Fix/Hub build in much more than clean sheet odds to predict weekly scores. They include the likelihood of saves contributing in tougher games. Based on that I do think that an increasingly large number could consider this.
As for benching hauls, said player hauls whether on your bench or not, it’s frustrating but it’s just noise.
I don’t have two playing keepers. I have kept the cash further forward with Sanchez playing and Steele as back up. But so many people read your blog and I think that presenting the case for another legitimate alternative way of approaching this, even if you’d discounted for yourself, allows pause for thought.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

You think 'so many' read this blog? If I thought the same I'd write less candidly. :wink:

I am thinking of putting Smith Rowe back in my team now he has fallen to 5.3m (another fall avoided by the wildcard). If I want 5.0/4.0 GK and a 3-4-3 structure then a cheap playing midfielder will be needed. Could (maybe should) have been Gallacher, I know how good he is from his Chelsea youth games. His idol growing up was Frank Lampard and he wants to play box-to-box as Lampard did, he has also studied Lampard's gift for timing his arrival into the box and it seems to be paying off. Vieira obviously likes him and is giving him licence; I don't see that he really has any competition for that attacking midfield role until Eze is fit again and that's not at all imminent. But I wasn't keen on Palace's fixtures and didn't put him in to gain the 0.1 rise and keep my options open (bit of a schoolboy error).

So, what do you think about Smith Rowe, Smurphy? It's really only gametime that concerns me, if he were anything like an assured starter he'd be in my team without a further thought. Will Arteta be brave enough to play 4-1-4-1 as he did for the last 30 minutes at the weekend, that's the question? ESR would be another higher-risk selection to go along with DDG of course, the 4-3-3 arrangement is far more pragmatic and sensible and accords far better with my own advice in the wildcard commentaries written during the international break. Maybe I should go back and re-read them. :lol:

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Yes I do. Keep being candid, it is why people keep coming back. The wildcard theory posts, for example, were superb.

And I’ll reserve my right to absorb the majority and try to comment to improve* little bits; *or make them worse, I reserve that right too! I’ve never been a Debating Society type and articulate the case less clearly than you do but there can be times that call for a counter point or alternative. And the worst/best that happens is that I find out about my hidden biases.

Gallagher was the reason that I didn’t pull the wildcard trigger last night. I was trying to balance that same conundrum about role/potential/fixtures. I couldn’t decide and as a result I decided to sleep on it. I’m working now so I have very little detail to share on ESR. I know you’ve championed him for a while. I only watched MotD and it was Odegaard who caught my eye. And I particularly like Saka. (If I continue this I talk about Pepe and Auba and Tierney and…) the point being that Gallagher seems to be the main link player in the way you describe. Arteta has many more options at his disposal and I don’t yet know which will be the best one to choose. If I can find a good rotation I think I’d prefer Gallagher - the £0.1m price rise is an annoyance not a deal breaker IMO.

dod
FISOhead
FS Record: I have never won FPL.

Post by dod »

I got rid of Smith-Rowe last night to avoid the drop. I don't think he is a bad pick but I realised with my new structure he was never going to be other than a bench player and I need my bench players to be good enough to occasionally start when the have a good fixture. I upgraded to Sarr who fits the bill. With Arsenal's current fixtures ESR is a very good choice if you are looking to upgrade your 5th mid from a 4.5.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 10:09 If I can find a good rotation I think I’d prefer Gallagher - the £0.1m price rise is an annoyance not a deal breaker IMO.
Rotation in which position and at what price were you thinking for that rotation? I am thinking the same as having a first sub at permanently 1mn above base price is not a problem for me. (i.e. doesn't always have to be the ubiquitous Livramento)

Gallagher could be good enough to play most weeks however - time will tell. I've gone off ESR though again, he has big value potential.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Sutter Kane wrote:..having a first sub at permanently 1m above base price is not a problem for me.
Where the hell are you getting all this money from, SK? :shock: :lol:

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 18:29
Sutter Kane wrote:..having a first sub at permanently 1m above base price is not a problem for me.
Where the hell are you getting all this money from, SK? :shock: :lol:
Well of course we start with 107mn, then there's the money made from price rises. Should be doable to have a decent 1st sub. I'm fairly happy with a few of my 5-premium squads.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Sutter Kane wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 15:49
Smurphy's Paw wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 10:09 If I can find a good rotation I think I’d prefer Gallagher - the £0.1m price rise is an annoyance not a deal breaker IMO.
Rotation in which position and at what price were you thinking for that rotation? I am thinking the same as having a first sub at permanently 1mn above base price is not a problem for me. (i.e. doesn't always have to be the ubiquitous Livramento)

Gallagher could be good enough to play most weeks however - time will tell. I've gone off ESR though again, he has big value potential.
No idea yet but being able to bench him for the worst games makes sense - happy for the rotated player to be a £4.5m mid/def.
That said, FFFix suggests the best rotation is with Leeds - with Gallagher not getting much of a look in so perhaps Raphinha is the better choice, go for someone else less expensive than Gallagher and invest elsewhere!

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

More Wildcard Thoughts

Have been toying with the idea of having Ronaldo & Lukaku and no Salah. The attraction is that both will score a ton of goals and both are now going to be the big focal point for their teams and hoover up a lot of the best chances. Whereas with Salah, there's the utterly selfish Mané to consider; he is dead set on being Salah's equal (even though he isn't) and unduly focused on scoring himself. Watching the Leeds game, it was striking how once they were 2-0 up and with Leeds making a charge, Salah was willing to drop deeper and help Liverpool control the game. Mané had no such thought, he was only concerned with getting his goal. So you have two players that are the undisputed main men for their teams and one for whom that status is permanently being contested by a member of his own team. :roll:

However, when you look at fixtures it just doesn't make sense. Ronaldo is a flat-track bully and gets his big scores against weaker opposition. You just can't imagine that from GW8-13 (for example) he will outscore Salah. I can't see a run of weeks until GW14 (maybe 14-16) when having the two big forwards would be preferable and that's getting close to the time when Lukaku will have to go because of the CWC (as it stands). So, yes, there are attractions. But no, I can't see it as the best course. Those that did it in GW4 made some points but I think they will be forced to give them back in due course. It will be Salah plus one of Lukaku/Ronaldo/Kane based on form and fixtures for me.

One other convenient factor for the GW5 wildcard is the DCL situation. I will very likely keep Antonio instead and that will release a very useful 0.5m against the original plan. GW5-9 were the big attraction with DCL and it sounds like he'll miss at least the first three of those five games. On reflection, the idea of losing Antonio wasn't a great one anyway, DCL's high xG was an inflated number because he had 2 penalties in 3 games. Maybe later for him, or maybe not at all.

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

R_NZ I am playing the wildcard this GW, and I am including the three of them :D atm I think :roll: the Liverpool fixtures are too good to drop Salah, maybe later :?
The alternative for me was to keep going without Ronaldo :shock: which I was happy to do when I had DCL and Antonio beside Lukaku but the options now Jimenez :( buy Antonio back :( take a chance on Bamford :( I googled him and he has a hamstring history from 2019 and injury headlines continuously :shock:

note neither raoul or blah have Salah :roll: preferring to rely on a premium defence - I like to keep Salah right now because the Chelsea and City fixtures are not suitable yet to split the takings from selling Salah? that' s why I like blahblah's Liverpool defence, I think that matches Salah.
But they have two Manchester team GW's coming up ( total 6 points :mrgreen: )

I could be talked out of it :)

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Imagine being Mane. Consistently contributes more than 20 G/A a season despite playing with the utterly selfish Salah. Still hasn’t yet stopped Salah scoring 230+ points a season. I think you’ll be OK with Mo.

And ditto, you’ll be OK with the choice to retain Antonio with the choice of a decent 12th man for this week

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

Just went to see who I could get in midfield in place of Salah, it took me 5 seconds to see that there is nobody apart from KDB that I would be willing to change Salah for. :)
case closed.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

@ wahine, won't try to talk you out of it but I do think it's a mistake. Raoul took a short-term gain in my view and I think the points will have to be given back in due course (cue SP to point out that he could change the combination he has, ignoring the transfers involved or the likelihood of him doing so). I also think that blah's triple-Liverpool defence is an awful and ill-advised combination because with the exception of TAA they are over-priced. Liverpool are not and will not be the best defence in the PL; people don't seem to have realised they are a team in decline, even if a slow decline.

Time will tell whether I'm right about that but that's how it looks to me.

@SP, the above also relates to my Salah comments. As Liverpool decline, Mané's selfishness is likely to impair Salah's potential more significantly. You seem to like gratuitously taking the opposite point of view but to call Salah utterly selfish suggests you don't watch football or are incapable of recognising what you are seeing. Either that or your desire to make clever, sardonic comments over-rides any other consideration. Salah is far more a team player than Mané will ever be; even Bruno is more willing to adjust to what suits the team than Mané is and that's saying something. :shock:

@ wahine again, KDB is also well over-priced and in your case the point isn't whether Salah is worth having (which I already concluded that he is, that's what the comments were saying), it's whether having all three is worthwhile. I most definitely don't think so. The question of which player you'd rather have than Salah (or one of the premium forwards) is false, because it isn't one player, it's how that budget creates improvements all across your squad, both in terms of potential and flexibility.

And with that, this blog is retired for a month. All it was ever meant to be was a place for the discussion of game theory, where I could articulate some of my reasoning about the challenges, ups and downs of the game and others could do the same. It seems to me that people are beginning to treat it as an object in itself and that is not my wish or intention. See you after the next international break perhaps.

PS. I wish nothing but good things to raoul, blah or most anyone else. Saying that they have made a mistake in my view is not the same as wishing for them to fail. FPL is a strange beast anyway; sometimes mistakes succeed and good decisions flounder. And sometimes what appears mistaken looks prescient in hindsight. :wink:

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

:shock:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”