To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

R_NZ FPL Blog

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Re: R_NZ RMT Blog

Post by Sutter Kane »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 07:48 :shock:
:lol: I think that's the problem with text/emails/forums - context, as there's no tone to recognise easily. Sentiments can be inferred in lots of different ways.

So it's a case of "Watch how you write stuff" and "watch how you infer stuff"! Unless I've read this situation wrong too, which is definitely possible!

I think Liv are currently floating high on having VVD back. Not sure if it'll last the season but they are a cut above last year (even if they are on the decline overall). I also wouldn't go triple defence though - There's too many other nicely priced assets from other teams in all price brackets underneath 6.5mn. So Salah is a must imo. The fixtures fluctuate so nicely for that premium slot in attack, I'm blind to see anything other than the one 11.5-12.5mn position up front. So two premiums, but might also be able to stretch to Son in GW12.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

I’m not a very frequent poster in this thread, but I do enjoy reading it, and it’s a shame that our “author-in-chief” is taking a break. Hopefully RNZ will come back after the IB (if not before) suitably refreshed.

And I totally agree with each point of Sutter Kane’s post above… email/text etiquette, Liverpool’s prospects, and the 2/3 premiums conundrum.

DonReady
Red & Blue Braces

Post by DonReady »

Just caught up on this, thanks for all your hard work and insight, Ruth. Enjoy the break from the blog.

One of the very best FPL minds out there, really enjoy reading your thoughts.

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

Enjoy the break RNZ. You have poured your mind out on these pages particularly over the last month. I look forward to your return with fresh insight.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

I echo all the above. Love your analysis.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

For the record, my Salah-less current state is designed to be temporary. He will replace Ronaldo soon in a double transfer. He should probably be in this week in place of Lukaku but there are limits to my hit taking.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

DDG & Rüdiger. 8-)

ajcairns
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Still Decidedly Average.

Post by ajcairns »

Should we keep the blog going for RNZ so that it’s complete when he comes back?

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

We could be his little team of elves. Like Rumpelstiltskin.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

ajcairns wrote:Should we keep the blog going for RNZ so that it’s complete when he comes back?
Yes please. :)
Just think of me as Rumpelstiltskin_NZ. :lol:

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

R_NZ RMT Blog

Post by Joccki_10 »

Bamford said on the Leeds United podcast this morning that he is still not training with the team and still not able to run. He said: “I imagine I’ll be able to run within the next ten days.”

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Crystallisation
Ruth_NZ wrote:And with that, this blog is retired for a month. All it was ever meant to be was a place for the discussion of game theory, where I could articulate some of my reasoning about the challenges, ups and downs of the game and others could do the same. It seems to me that people are beginning to treat it as an object in itself and that is not my wish or intention. See you after the next international break perhaps.
Well, so far 27 days have passed since writing that. In that time I have been keeping an FPL Diary with the intention of posting it in full after the month was up and to date it contains 16 subject headings and 75 paragraphs. :lol: But I don't think it will ever see the light of day and this post will explain why. Will start from an oblique angle by talking about a recent article on FFS, an interview with "seven-time top 10k finisher, the consistently brilliant Yavuz Kabuk". For reference, Mr. Kabuk's FPL team is linked here and he is ranked #4 in the FFS Hall of Fame.

What it says, says...

In any piece of writing or speech, there is always a surface meaning - what it actually says - and a subtext - what it says, says. This subtext can consist of a number of things; some examples are the underlying assumptions that are being made, the underlying norms that are being asserted or disputed, underlying attitudes, sentiments or prejudices (which can be broader or narrower than the superficial subject-matter) and the motivation of the writer/speaker (why are they saying it at all). Subtext is larger and more influential in some types of communication (in some varieties of political speech or demagoguery, for example, the subtext is by far the most important part of the message) and smaller in others (the vanilla presentation of data can sometimes be done with little or no subtext).

OK, so to the article. Mr. Kabuk describes how he divides the season into three parts - something I actually wrote about 6 years ago in my 2nd season of FPL, so maybe he got it from me :wink: - and in the first period of the season he says "I tend to make early transfers, take hits and jump onto bandwagons (even if I don’t believe in the player) to build some team value for the rest of the season". Now, that 'even if I don't believe in the player' comment stands out notably. It is unbelievably pragmatic.

Sometime recently I was discussing the get out of jail free card players; the 5.5m to 6.5m attackers that out-perform expectations for a period and can rescue a manager from a poorly structured squad and/or enable them to have more premium assets. Sometimes such players are simply having a breakthrough season - think Kane, Alli, Vardy, Mahrez, Jimenez in the season when each rose to prominence. Each was valued 6m or less initially and maintained far higher levels of performance for a whole season. Other times the search can become a quicksand of one false hope after another, none of which last for long. But the one guarantee you have is that the way most managers play FPL, they will need such players. What Mr. Kabuk is therefore saying is, I don't know which are good or not but I do know which I can make money on and will do that. If they do well, great, I have a double win. If they don't, OK, at least I increased my TV.

See what I mean? Unbelievably pragmatic. It's as far away as you could get from approaching FPL with the idea of playing as near perfectly as possible (or 'playing pure', as The Dazzler once described it). He's not trying to get it right. He's trying to play percentages.

OK, in the second part of the season he says "I switch my style to ‘swords and shields’. This requires extensive forward planning. I try not to take hits in this period and play it safe with very few differentials. In this period, my decisions are almost exclusively based on stats and I do care about effective ownership a lot". Wow. Pragmatism on steroids then. He's going to cover the most popular players, prioritise EO over his own judgement, avoid risk as far as possible and allow the fear of losing ground to overpower or take precedence over the desire to make ground. He'll use good planning and competency coupled with an entirely pragmatic selection to give him small, incremental gains.

Again, this is very far away from playing pure. As I wrote elsewhere, it is apparent that Mr. Kabuk has developed a strategy that is entirely aimed at a top 10k finish. He's not aiming to win; he's not trying to win. He's not trying to excel. He is aiming to play the percentage game in a steady way to gain a steady result.

This is borne out by how he approaches the third part of the season. "My strategy for part three depends on where I am ranked. If I am still outside of the top 10k, I continue to play ‘swords and shields’. If I am inside the top 10k, I try to get into the top 5k and then top 1k by playing a bit more aggressively. I would then be willing to take calculated risks either by having differential players or captains, or by using chips differently than the rest of the pack". So, there it is. Risks only once the 10k result is secure. By then it will probably be far too late to have any chance of winning but what he will have done is secured another high-ish finish to support his high-ish ranking in the FFS HOF.

Now, that is fine, lots of people would have no higher aim and Mr. Kabuk doubtless does it very well. But to laud such achievements (as FFS does) is to accept that the pinnacle is beyond reach and that you are better not to aim for it, lest in reaching too high you slip and fall below the consistent 10k approach he exemplifies. That's the subtext. But nothing truly worthwhile or outstanding in life was ever achieved in that way. It's like Tim Henman, in a way. He made 6 Grand Slam semi-finals and 10 quarter-finals, all in a 9-year period from 1996 to 2004. But he never won a Major, never even reached a final and was never realistically close to winning one. Being a losing semi-finalist looks close but it wasn't really. He just wasn't good enough; good but not outstanding.

Why this Commentary?

In writing the commentary, I have implicitly stated my own attitude. The only target that seems to me to be worthwhile is to shoot for excellence. My aim is to be the best FPL manager there ever was; to 'crack' the game. I'm not interested in pragmatism for pragmatism's sake and I don't follow Arsène Wenger in thinking that "top 10k is a trophy" (to paraphrase). I don't necessarily expect to achieve this aim but in a pursuit that is voluntary, I don't see any attraction in playing to be comfortably above-average. What would be the point? For me, none.

And that is why there have always been tensions between myself and others, as recently surfaced in this blog and led in part to me suspending my input into it. Maybe they think I am arrogant. Maybe they don't understand the angle I am coming from. Maybe they just don't approve of it or even feel confronted by it because it seems to implicitly demean or scorn the way they approach things. SP likes to say that his target every season is to finish in the top 1%. OK, I'll be honest; I am bewildered by that approach and find it disappointingly mediocre. I try to 'live and let live' and not to let my attitude be too obvious because it's not for me to define anyone else's approach or how they should use their leisure time. I used to have exactly the same friction with Stemania. It is a friction of subtext, which happens when two people are apparently engaged in the same activity but with different objectives.

By comparison, my primary target every season is to win FPL and my secondary objective is to learn better how the game works and how best to 'crack' it so as to be in a better position to win it next season or the season after. Call it arrogant, call it a pipe-dream, call it what you want really. In saying that my blog was designed to be "a place for the discussion of game theory", that is what I meant. A place to converse with others within the FISO hive, with an underlying idea of understanding the game better and becoming brilliant at it. A pursuit of excellence.

So, what best to do then? What is crystallising in me is that I'd maybe be better to do this on the QT (as they say). Derived from the Latin quae tacenda, meaning "things about which one should not speak". It's not only that I think the blog is misunderstood by some and leads to what are essentially arguments about subtext - about what one should be aiming for and what is realistic to aim for in FPL. It's also that it creates a pressure on me where I feel successes and failures more acutely because they are 'in public' in a sense. Perhaps that also affects my own decision-making sometimes. The idea of 'playing pure' has attracted me ever since I first saw The Dazzler use the phrase, because it closely corresponds with my own aims. Maybe it is therefore best if, as Hamlet says, "the rest is silence".

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

And still, I would ask my boss for a day off to read those 75 paragraphs. :)

maanche
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: 21/22 OR 🌍23k ( Rookie season )

Post by maanche »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 09:48 Crystallisation

The only target that seems to me to be worthwhile is to shoot for excellence. My aim is to be the best FPL manager there ever was; to 'crack' the game ... And that is why there have always been tensions between myself and others, as recently surfaced in this blog and led in part to me suspending my input into it ... It's not only that I think the blog is misunderstood by some and leads to what are essentially arguments about subtext, it's also that it creates a pressure on me where I feel successes and failures more acutely ... The idea of 'playing pure' has attracted me ever since I first saw The Dazzler use the phrase, because it closely corresponds with my own aims.
First of all, let it be said ( although it's obvious ) that I am new here and generally very new in FPL having only started in GW9 of the previous season. I only know football and try to use that knowledge to cope with FPL challenges. Not knowing the general dynamic between members and knowing just a bit of how the game plays, I find your blog one of the best reads on the internet concerning the subject ( including all the paid, hyped and talked about contributors ).

We simply come as we are, we have different goals, different approaches, we even speak differently when we think the same ( you get the idea ) but let me just say this - it would be sad to see such high quality analysis and contributions abandoned for any reason. You've gone on and maybe created something you didn't initially plan for but I am sure many share my view. It's up to you what will you do with your blog but you should know that many people look forward to reading it.

SG_8
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 3 Top 10k finishes

Post by SG_8 »

This has been something that I have pondered about..

It depends on whether you believe that the aim of getting the most points you can, is the same as the aim of finishing in the best possible rank you can. If it is the same, then you shouldn't be bothered by ownership and it should have zero influence.

Safe players might prefer a highly owned EO pick over someone with low EO, while risk taking players might do the opposite (go for a player with low EO over someone with high ownership). In both cases, they are sacrificing points as they are going by ownership, though it is the sub-optimal choice.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Joccki_10 wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 13:42 And still, I would ask my boss for a day off to read those 75 paragraphs. :)
🤣😂🤣😂

FP1990
Treebeard
FS Record: Great

Post by FP1990 »

maanche wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 20:10
Ruth_NZ wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 09:48 Crystallisation

The only target that seems to me to be worthwhile is to shoot for excellence. My aim is to be the best FPL manager there ever was; to 'crack' the game ... And that is why there have always been tensions between myself and others, as recently surfaced in this blog and led in part to me suspending my input into it ... It's not only that I think the blog is misunderstood by some and leads to what are essentially arguments about subtext, it's also that it creates a pressure on me where I feel successes and failures more acutely ... The idea of 'playing pure' has attracted me ever since I first saw The Dazzler use the phrase, because it closely corresponds with my own aims.
First of all, let it be said ( although it's obvious ) that I am new here and generally very new in FPL having only started in GW9 of the previous season. I only know football and try to use that knowledge to cope with FPL challenges. Not knowing the general dynamic between members and knowing just a bit of how the game plays, I find your blog one of the best reads on the internet concerning the subject ( including all the paid, hyped and talked about contributors ).

We simply come as we are, we have different goals, different approaches, we even speak differently when we think the same ( you get the idea ) but let me just say this - it would be sad to see such high quality analysis and contributions abandoned for any reason. You've gone on and maybe created something you didn't initially plan for but I am sure many share my view. It's up to you what will you do with your blog but you should know that many people look forward to reading it.
Seconded. I truly hope you carry the blog on

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Look, thanks for the supportive and encouraging comments, both here and via PM.

I am still turning things over, in my mind the month is up after the GW8 weekend so that gives me until next week. Whatever happens I don't plan to leave FISO and will continue to participate here. What I wrote about above only concerns what to do with the blog.

Most likely what I will do is to settle on a halfway-house kind of thing. It appears that it has become somewhat more popular than I imagined and that has to be taken into account as well. Anyway, will post something further after the weekend and in the meantime GL all for GW8. :)

Stena Bib
FISOhead
FS Record: Finished 530 FPL 2018/19

Post by Stena Bib »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 12:07 Look, thanks for the supportive and encouraging comments, both here and via PM.

I am still turning things over, in my mind the month is up after the GW8 weekend so that gives me until next week. Whatever happens I don't plan to leave FISO and will continue to participate here. What I wrote about above only concerns what to do with the blog.

Most likely what I will do is to settle on a halfway-house kind of thing. It appears that it has become somewhat more popular than I imagined and that has to be taken into account as well. Anyway, will post something further after the weekend and in the meantime GL all for GW8. :)
:idea: :idea: :idea: Get Blah to ghost write it ....Simples :D

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Planning in FPL 15 Oct

The other day I reviewed a FFS article where the interviewee talked about approaching the mid-season in a steady fashion with a reliance on good planning. For example, you can have (as he does) an idea of having a long phase where you avoid hits or keep them to the very minimum. You can even take that approach throughout the season, some of the best current managers do exactly that, for example Fabio Borges: "Regarding hits, it is very rare that I take them outside of Double Gameweeks. I like to plan ahead very carefully and since I am a very patient manager, unless there is an injury crisis, I like to stick to my guns". This kind of approach was in my mind as well when setting up my wildcard in GW5. But I think it is useful to consider what that element of planning actually means.

The first key point is that a no-hit policy should never act as a dogma at the point of action. Let me explain what I mean by that. The point of action is when, maybe on a Thursday or Friday, you are looking at your team for the coming GW or coming period and deciding what to do with your transfer(s). A no-hit dogma will say "I only have 1 FT so my options are to use it or roll it". Wrong!! If it serves your team best this week or over the next, projected period to make 2 immediate transfers and you can't achieve that benefit otherwise then you should take the hit. Simple. Anything else is a false constraint. It is only a question of how confident you are that the 4 points spent will deliver a more-than 4 point benefit (and that's why Borges will be less reluctant with hits in a DGW, because projecting the benefit then is often more clear-cut).

Yes, having an inbuilt reluctance to take hits is helpful, it will aid you in not getting onto the slippery slope of reactivity with insufficient thought. Quite often if you resist the first impulse to take a hit (especially in reaction to a recent event) you will find a work-around that is just as good (or almost as good) without spending points. That's why I gave Thursday or Friday as the point of action; by then you have distance from the last GW and your reactions to it and are more likely able to be objective. It's good to have in mind that with any hit the points spent are a certainty while the reward may never materialise. Nevertheless, if with sufficient distance your assessment is that the 4-point spend will confidently lead to a more than 4-point gain then not to go ahead would be self-defeating.

The trick here is to shift the point of action. It needs to be much earlier and the principle is not to avoid hits, it's to avoid the need to take hits. That's where the planning (or the foresight) comes in.

We have 1 FT to use per week, so 11 in 11 weeks. Think that through and it will tell you some very useful things! Let's say that your bench (players 12-15 in your squad) shouldn't need any transfers (or only very occasional ones with low urgency). OK. That means every player in your first XI can be changed by FT once every 11 weeks. That means when you get a new one they need to last 11 weeks, right? Well, not exactly. Let me take my likely GW8 squad as an example, with the nominal first XI bolded:

DDG Gunn
TAA Duffy Rüdiger Saïss Tierney
Salah Luiz Sissoko Jota Traoré
Antonio Lukaku Aubameyang

So, the bench are not expected to require transfers. Then, of the XI there are a bunch that I consider long-term holds, that's DDG, TAA, Rüdiger, Tierney, Salah, Antonio (though Rüdiger might need to go around GW17 depending on what happens with the Club World Cup). Antonio could remain in that group but may not after GW9, we'll see. But OK, that's another 5-6 players not projected to require transfers. So now I have 11 transfers per 11 weeks to use on the 5-6 remaining slots and I'm down to an average 5-6 weeks that they need to stay in my team (or to put it another way, I can change one of that group each week). Maybe a little longer because injuries or other unforeseen eventualities may occur (and almost certainly will) but that's the shape.

Now, I don't need to go into more projected detail than that. Some sequences I am fairly sure I want to enable (Lukaku :arrow: Ronaldo, possibly via Kane) whilst others are less formed. But the point here is that the planning you need isn't an exact plan of what transfers you will do in exactly what week between now and Xmas. Anyone that has played the game for any length of time will know that doesn't work because all kinds of events can and will intervene and not only that, such a plan will neuter your ability to be reactive to changes of picture or new information. No, the planning needed is of a different kind.

One part I have already covered, and that is to have a plan concerning the areas of your squad where you will use the majority of transfers. Having sufficient long-term players is crucial and they need to be types that have long enough track-records, players with class and reliability with whom you will have less trouble being patient if need be. So that part of the plan allows players in the more fluid part of your squad to be brought in for runs of 5-6 games whilst managing the overall transfer demand that arises from wanting to remove someone that has maybe failed or come to the end of their rope.

The other side is to project forward about the players/teams you may (may, not will) want to bring in. This is partly achieved through targeting fixture runs a long time in advance and preparing for them. For example, Spurs 12-15 (or 12-22) have such fixtures that I'd want to at least be ready to add Son or Kane. If it then turned out to suit my team to get one early I would would happily do so. So, for me, adding Aubameyang in GW7 was actually preparatory of this. It's not so much that you have a transfer plan that is set in stone, more that you are identifying things you might want to be doing 6, 9, 12 weeks down the line and making sure what you do now doesn't block that. This projecting forward also concerns known events (international break fixtures such as we have just experienced with the S. America players, Chelsea's Club World Cup, Chelsea's likely DGW(s) and AFCON in January, that kind of thing). The earlier you take them into account, the less jerky (and transfer-costly) your handling of them will need to be at the point.

Sure, this doesn't account for everything. Injuries happen, changes of circumstance happen, players enter purple patches of form or the opposite. But that just says that planning can't control everything, and it can't. If your planning, however, has set your team up sensibly and you keep your eyes looking well ahead rather than at only the short-term, you will be better placed to handle these things too.

Have I achieved this kind of planning with my current squad? Well, partly. Traoré was supposed to be a long-term hold through GW14 but immediately lost his place and I still haven't found a transfer to deal with him, partly because Bamford immediately got injured as well (and he was another projected hold). :lol: Because of that my transfers are more stretched than they should be. How to deal with that now? Well, not by dogmatically refusing to take hits. If you arrive at the point of action and a hit helps most then you take the hit and make a mental note to try not to put yourself in that position next time, if you can help it. That means analysing how what you did a month ago created the situation you are in at the point of action now and looking at whether you could have set things up better. That's how you learn and that's how your planning will improve. :wink:

Last thing to say here is that planning and long-view steering is only 50% of the story in being a good FPL manager. The other 50% is the short-term opportunism and reactivity. I am hoping that Joccki will write something about that because he is far better at that aspect of the game than I am. Fingers crossed anyway. :wink:

All xG/xA stats are from fbref.com

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Re: R_NZ FPL Blog

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Blog Update

So, having thought about it for a little over a month, this is where things have come out.

I am going to proceed a little more quietly in playing FPL. My wish is to spend time working on stuff without necessarily always writing it up for the blog. Specifically I will reduce the amount I write about my team and cease the running commentary. Maybe I'll do an update on that monthly but otherwise will only bring it up if I want some external feedback or advice about a decision.

From time to time (fairly regularly to be honest) things come up that are more to do with game theory and game skill. Those things I will probably try to write up as longer posts; the recent one about planning was one such and there's a part II in the wind - in collaboration with Joccki :) - which will concern reactivity and the short-term approach.

I don't want anyone to get the idea that comments are not welcome. They are. 95% of the more than 5000 posts that people have put up here have been great. My hope has been that the blog could be a kind of workshop for discussion of the mechanics of the game rather than being focused on 'which player to get/remove'; after all there are plenty of places for that and on FFS it is almost all that goes on really. So participation is welcome, whether it's feedback or a question or an observation or a counter-argument to something. The one thing I'd hope for is that if someone wants to make a counter-argument they take the time and trouble to provide reasoning.

Regarding the diary of the last month, I will post some sections of it over the next few days. Some elements have already been extracted and posted and I won't repeat those, of course.

All the best, RNZ :)
Last edited by Ruth_NZ on 21 Oct 2021, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Stena Bib wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 11:55
Ruth_NZ wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 12:07 Look, thanks for the supportive and encouraging comments, both here and via PM.

:idea: :idea: :idea: Get Blah to ghost write it ....Simples :D
😂🤣😂🤣

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

The sections of my recent diary that concern my team decisions seem to be yesterday's news. This section, however, seems interesting enough to post.

DIARY 5/10 to 11/10

Holding Your Ground - 1. "Analytical" 5 Oct
Kirsty McColl wrote:There's a guy works down the chip shop, swears he's Elvis...
But he's a liar and I'm not sure about you.
There's also a guy on FFS that has just taken a triple-hit to do Mendy, Williams, Gallacher, Lukaku, Ronaldo :arrow: Raya, Cancelo, Son, Vardy, DCL. :? He says: "I had 42 points this week so wanted to turn up the heat with some bold moves. Happy to be rid of Lukaku and Ronaldo, who have given me 15 points over the last 3 GW's. Very happy with my team now and do not expect to take hits for many weeks to come". :shock: :lol:

Well, ain't that a doozy? But it's a perfect, if extreme example of the kind of reactive pressure that can come upon a FPL manager after a couple of poor weeks. After GW3 my team was ranked 16k; now, 4 weeks later, it is 258k and under threat of relegation in the Divisionals. My Compadres team-mate Joccki has scored 46 points more than me over those 4 weeks and has gone from 10 points behind to 36 points ahead. It's enough to test the patience of a saint, as my mother used to say, and could easily persuade me that I have made bad mistakes or that my team is 'wrong'. Time for some comparative analysis, then.

In GW4 it was Lukaku/Ronaldo week. I had neither and they both hauled. Mistake? No. I was aware of the risk because both had good fixtures but wasn't keen on what followed, correctly as it turned out - Lukaku has had 6 points GW5-7 and Ronaldo 9. In GW5 we both wildcarded and I actually made some ground back; the gap between us was 3 points after that week. But two underlying factors played against me at that point; one was a GW5 injury to Bamford which knocked him out of GW6-7 as it turned out (wasn't immediately clear) and the other was my choice of Traoré over Saka. Traoré promptly lost his place and has scored 4 points GW5-7 while Saka has come on strong with 22 points over the same period. Mistakes? Well, the Bamford one wasn't, that was just unlucky. The Traoré/Saka one maybe was (for reasons already given) and it accounts for half of the current gap between our teams.

In GW6 Saka was the only significant difference. And in GW7 Joccki made 2 successful transfers, removing Ronaldo and TAA for Azpilicueta and Jimenez whereas I added Lukaku and Aubameyang. Mistakes on my part? Don't think so really. Jimenez was the obvious Bamford replacement but my team already had 3 Wolves (thanks to the ever-giving gift of Traoré, now finding innovative, new ways to punish me) and a defender transfer was no priority for me with Bamford requiring to be replaced. So, essentially those two factors from the GW5 wildcard - taking Traoré over Saka and Bamford over Raphinha (in a slightly different structure) have been responsible for a net negative swing of 33 points over the last 2 weeks. :roll:

It can be hard to take when you invest a lot of time in FPL only to see your team go backwards, especially when it's a nasty swing like this one has been. It can cause all kinds of reactive pressure and the feeling that you need to do something to arrest the slide. That's why some analysis is needed at those times. Maybe it's true, you have chosen players unwisely and need to fix it before it gets worse. But maybe bad luck has been a major factor. In my case, I have accepted that Traoré was a mistake that needs fixing and I will do so. For the rest I see little wrong.

Holding Your Ground - 2. "Positional" 6 Oct

So, let me pick up on that last statement. For a competent manager, 'wrong' likely means one of the following:
  1. Structurally wrong: your squad is either too inefficient or too inflexible or too pared-down (too many cheap or non-playing options), too premium-focused to deliver value or too amorphous. I wouldn't make absolute rules about structure (though it would be fairly easy to describe some key principles) because circumstances vary but for an experienced manager it's a matter of checking that you know clearly why you have your current structure, especially if it diverges from your normal principles in some way.
  2. Wrong players: too many risky or 'hail Mary' picks, too many out of form or too expensive or with poor upcoming prospects.
  3. Too conformist: so many high-owned (template) choices that it will be difficult to either make much ground or lose much. Some would consider this desirable but I don't.
For the purposes of this segment I will focus on #2. Structurally I am satisfied with what I have done, it is a little stretched out at the moment but I know why; meanwhile it would be so unusual for me to have an overly-conformist team that if I did it would mean that I genuinely thought that the best available constellation of players. So, this will be about "wrong players".

Now, the crass definition of that in terms of points scored in recent weeks can obviously be dismissed out of hand. Recent weeks can't be re-played and the only concern is what will happen from now. For example, Sarr going into GW5 had averaged 3.75 ppg so far (nothing at all special) and his underlying stats were nothing special either. Nothing to indicate that he'd average 8.33 ppg over the next 3 weeks other than the fact that Watford were facing the 3 weakest defences in the PL in succession. If there was a mistake in not having him, it was in failing to sufficiently weight those fixtures in advance and that is all. And he's no more a good choice now (on the basis of 8.33 ppg) than he was a bad choice based on 3.75 ppg. Recent points are largely irrelevant unless there's good reason to expect them to repeat.

This is where track record comes in, sometimes referred to in terms of the underlying 'class' or profile of the player. For example, if I made a mistake with Traoré it was in ignoring the fact that for all his other attributes he has never consistently shown end product (goals/assists) and in being too swayed by underlying stats (which were very good at that time). It's a mistake I don't often make but did in this instance. Track record doesn't tell the whole story either, of course. Circumstances can change for a player; maybe they get deployed differently by their manager, as with Doucouré this season, or they may be improving or regressing. And underlying stats can be useful too, though ideally over something more than a handful of weeks.

As any regular reader of these musings will know, I am rather in favour of patience in FPL, of giving the players you have selected (and thus your own decisions) time to deliver. The recent excellent performance of Stena Bib's ghost team (266 points over the last 4 GWs compared to my 198 and Joccki's 244) bears this out entirely. Clearly if you jerk around too much, the one thing guaranteed is to spend points in hits. But that does require a fair and somewhat rigorous analysis to separate poor outcomes from poor decisions, coupled with a willingness to recognise and correct your mistakes when you have made them.

If I look at my own team I see few mistakes, as was said in Part 1. DDG is a different GK but I know why he's there and don't consider that story to be conclusive. He certainly has the 'class' factor, having beaten 140 points multiple times, with a season-best 172 in 2017/18. The main question with him was whether his place was at risk; I didn't think so and still don't. Most would now agree with that. I consider myself to have been rather unlucky with his points thus far and am not willing to end the experiment, especially as there's no stand-out replacement anyway. Patience with him.

The double Wolves defence was structurally ill-advised when combined with Traoré but was only intended as a short-term solution. Semedo is the 2nd player on my 'out' list (for Laporte or Cancelo). Traoré was a mistake (already covered) and will be the next to leave. Jota is well capable (and overdue) of scoring good points; he can leave but there's no rush. And then there's Aubameyang, another one that certainly has the 'class' factor and is well capable of a prolific run of points if I have timed it right. Maybe he was a somewhat risky pick when he was brought in but that decision, once made, needs time to play out as well. Patience with him too, then.

It could be argued that having Aubameyang is unbalancing my squad (resulting in the defence/midfield being too pared-down) but that was actually one of the reasons I took him. One of the weaknesses in my wildcard structure was only having one slot for a 6-6.5m attacker when that price bracket is doing so well and offering such value. If Jota were switched to Raphinha or Barnes (say) and Traoré to Mbeumo or Gallacher (say) it would release more than enough funds for a defender upgrade (any City defender) and for other prospective ideas. So Aubameyang gets some time.

All of this, thus far, has in essence been to say that my team - the Traoré mistake excepted - has been unlucky recently as much as anything else. Impatient as that might make me and drag on my mood as it may be, there's no obvious reason there to follow the guy I started with and take a double- or triple-hit. To do so would be to set recent losses in stone and start again. If something was genuinely 'wrong' it would be a different matter but - dispassionately as I can make it - that's not my assessment. Therefore the powder will be kept dry.

Holding Your Ground - 3. "Prospective" 7 Oct

So, now this brings me to the 'what next' question. Traoré will almost certainly leave in GW8 (the only thing that might save him would be if it became apparent that Jimenez wouldn't make the GW8 Wolves team) and as there is only 0.1m banked the options are restricted. That's fine; they were intended to be. Medium-term I'd like Mbeumo but it could well be that I go with Elyounoussi, Townsend or Gallacher initially. That will need some consideration prior to GW8 but there is plenty of time for that. It might, however, also be influenced by whatever else may be in my provisional plans.

City are a major factor as well and this is where the Aubameyang decision could come back and bite me hard. The big problem is the next game, BUR. It seems crazy to be concerned about one fixture but City have beaten Burnley 5-0 the last four times they have played at the Etihad and this isn't delving back into distant history, it's just the last 3 years! :shock: Pep has an unfathomable selection policy - for example, Torres is probably City's most natural #9 and did well enough with 3 goals in 6 games (all competitions) to start the season but since then has been benched for 3 consecutive PL games and not even used as a sub. :? This is one thing that makes me hesitant about Foden, for example. The fixtures after Burnley look far less dangerous as well. But the potential swing in one game is huge if you get it right and to be without a City attacker for it will be an unpleasant experience. Mahrez has enjoyed this fixture and will probably start, he'd likely make my team if a FH were deployed and Foden would too. But as it stands it would be too much surgery for one game and I will just need to be out on Saturday afternoon. :wink:

There is, however, space for a City defender to come in but which one? Cancelo is the obvious candidate and seems less of a rotation risk thus far but I also like Laporte and don't think the rotation risk for him (Stones) is any worse than it is for Cancelo (Zinchenko). Pep does tend to be more stable with defender selection (especially at CB) and Laporte at 5.5m could well offer similar value to what Dias did at the same price last season. He has somewhat more goal threat than Dias and both are similar in the BPS. Most important here is the 0.7m price gap, which could mean the difference between my keeping Raphinha a little later on or having to go with a Gallacher/Souček/Mbeumo type as M3 (though there are reservations about Souček because Moyes has adjusted his position this season). I'm edging towards Laporte here, largely in order to keep Raphinha once I have him.

That leaves two players in my squad under consideration right now, Jota & Aubameyang. My plan is to give Aubameyang time before (perhaps) a switch to Toney in GW11/12, allowing Son to occupy the spare midfield slot at the same time. Spurs do have great fixtures from GW12 and Son seems the ideal player to capitalise. But there would also be the option of evening out the two slots by taking a Foden type and a DCL type. It's not a decision for now but useful to have as part of the perspective.

All xG/xA stats are from fbref.com

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

:shock: R,_NZ did a -8😁

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

wahine wrote: :shock: R_NZ did a -8. :mrgreen:
Yes. Surprised? :lol:

Having done an early Jota :arrow: Mbeumo, the Lukaku injury needed reaction so that was already a -4. But with Werner injured as well it looked to me that the stars have aligned for Havertz because he very likely starts NOR new BUR as Chelsea's #9. He has 4 goals in 6 starts in that position for Chelsea and had 8 goals in 8 starts playing #9 for Leverkusen. Too good to miss and worth a hit in my estimation. So I took the -8 and dealt with the two problem children of my squad plus an injury in one go with Jota, Traoré, Lukaku :arrow: Mbeumo, Havertz, Vardy and have also captained Havertz. We can only wait and see how all that unwinds.

Meanwhile, spare a thought for Aubameyang owners and especially captainers. Penalty missed, rebound scored, assist, booked, off with cramp (looked like), on for 1 BP, lost it again in the count-back. Final total 6 points, which takes some doing when you had a goal and an assist. :o

A United CS against Liverpool would make my weekend, it really would. Hardly looks the most likely outcome but who knows, DDG may have the game of his life. :?:

RuudTheDudeVanTheMan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Pioneer and perpetual main protagonist of the prestigious perennial Phlegmiership. Other than that particularly pointless prize pretty average.

2 time Divisional Championships Premier League winner :)

Post by RuudTheDudeVanTheMan »

1 clean sheet in our last 20 games, I wouldn't hold my breath :lol:

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 22:25
But with Werner injured as well it looked to me that the stars have aligned for Havertz because he very likely starts NOR new BUR as Chelsea's #9.
This was the bit I was unsure of in terms of taking a hit. If Havertz does get 3 games up front, he's 100% worth the hit. I'm unsure how long Lukaku is out for and wasn't convinced it would be up to (and including if Tuchel 'wants' him to miss internationals as well?) international break.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 22:25 Meanwhile, spare a thought for Aubameyang owners and especially captainers.
He's got 15 in his last 2 games!

What about Saka owners like me!? Zero last week, 2 pts this week! :lol: [If he's stayed injured, I'd have shifted him for Havertz(c) - oh the potential for massive woe here]

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Sutter Kane wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote: Meanwhile, spare a thought for Aubameyang owners and especially captainers.
He's got 15 in his last 2 games!
Not enough. I got him in GW7 with a view to keeping him for 5 games GW7-11. My baseline target was 35 points in those 5 games, probably meaning 2 hauls, and my hoped-for number was 45 points. So far he has 17 points after 3 so he's behind the curve. It's not Saka he needs comparing with, it's Son. :lol:

As it happens, and with what has happened with Lukaku, he could turn into a longer-term hold because 13-20 are very nice for Arsenal as well. But he's a 10m player and needs to deliver some hauls to give value at that price. Otherwise I'd be better with the budget spread, for example I only have 2 premium defenders right now and with Aubameyang downgraded I could have 4.

Saka needs to be compared to Traoré, where the wrong choice between those two on wildcard in GW5 resulted in a deficit of 13 points for me GW5-8 and contributed to my decision to take the -8 this week as Traoré has become an unreliable starter for Wolves. So I'm not accepting any moaning from Saka owners. :wink:

Anyway, what I was really alluding to was the crazy, up-and-down experience of an Aubameyang owner watching that game. When he missed the pen and scored the rebound I thought well, that's OK as long as he gets another goal or assist to ensure he's among the BPs. He did get the assist but the subsequent booking turned his score from a reasonable 8 points to a disappointing 6. :(

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Sutter Kane wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote: But with Werner injured as well it looked to me that the stars have aligned for Havertz because he very likely starts NOR new BUR as Chelsea's #9.
This was the bit I was unsure of in terms of taking a hit. If Havertz does get 3 games up front, he's 100% worth the hit. I'm unsure how long Lukaku is out for and wasn't convinced it would be up to (and including if Tuchel 'wants' him to miss internationals as well?) international break.
Werner has a hamstring and that almost certainly means GW12. Lukaku could be back earlier but if it were just something minor TT would have said so I think. Has also to be borne in mind that TT considered Romelu "overplayed" and this is an obvious opportunity to rectify that if he can be kept out of Belgium's next squad. And Chelsea have been playing with 2-up anyway, so even if Lukaku returns there's no reason Havertz couldn't play alongside him.

As always with these things, it depends on performances. If Havertz does well today he'll start GW10 and if he does well in GW10 he'll start GW11. That's how TT works. If he has a poor game today he could be dropped GW10 even if Lukaku is still out. But my reading of it is that Havertz is ready. That's why I have captained him today, because that was my benchmark; I'd only have taken him for a hit if I was confident enough to give him the armband this weekend. I was, so I have rolled the dice. :o

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”