To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Let's catch up with Ville

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
kammy.io
Kevin and Perry

Re: Let's catch up with Ville

Post by kammy.io »

He's FHing (or wildcarding). His gameweek transfers dropped from 1 to 0 a couple of hours ago.

Valeron
FISOhead

Post by Valeron »

I said on here about 3 years ago, when the Ville mystique was at its peak, that he was no better than a few posters on here and that was a very lucky player. That luck has reversed to some extend since, it’s evened out. I don’t agree with the idea that he’s over the hill, outdated etc. he’s just been less lucky.

pokeface
Red & Blue Braces

Post by pokeface »

I think this season has been reasonably tricky to navigate tbh. Maybe I am overanalysing because we’re still in it, but things such as massive City rotation and sporadic form of other teams even when they have good fixtures has made it difficult to make a different captain pick for a differential etc.

I’m probably having one of my best seasons pointswise, but my mini leagues are closer than they’ve been in recent years for the most part.

Either way, his picks aren’t paying off!

Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Post by Archy »

Valeron wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 10:12 I said on here about 3 years ago, when the Ville mystique was at its peak, that he was no better than a few posters on here and that was a very lucky player. That luck has reversed to some extend since, it’s evened out. I don’t agree with the idea that he’s over the hill, outdated etc. he’s just been less lucky.
+1

I said back then I actually think our own Stemania is a better player and following him would be more enlightening. Not least because he’s here and able to provide commentary around his decisions.

Stem - your contribution to this forum is immense as it is, but if you were to do your own RMT thread
/blog too, that would be something else! Good luck for the rest of the season btw :D

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Archy wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 00:39 I said back then I actually think our own Stemania is a better player and following him would be more enlightening. Not least because he’s here and able to provide commentary around his decisions.
"Able" to provide commentary? It's harder to get him to shut up! :lol: :wink:

Archy wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 00:39 Stem - your contribution to this forum is immense as it is, but if you were to do your own RMT thread
/blog too, that would be something else! Good luck for the rest of the season btw :D
A very big +1 to all of this.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

I always consider Sammy The Crab’s thread to be Stem’s these days, especially with Mav not taking part in FPL this year as well as Sammy. Without a curator that thread would not make the progress it makes every year

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

There are far better players in FISO and elsewhere to study, they have adjusted to the increased number of players and chips and even the change in bps etc, and also they seem to adjust to real life football etc

Ronka just does what he always did which repetitive formulaic method which no longer works .

He's having yet another poor season and is a busted flush

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Billy Bongo wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 13:09 There are far better players in FISO and elsewhere to study, they have adjusted to the increased number of players and chips and even the change in bps etc, and also they seem to adjust to real life football etc

Ronka just does what he always did which repetitive formulaic method which no longer works .

He's having yet another poor season and is a busted flush

To use a poker analogy, it could be that Ville is like the once great Phil Hellmuth, who gets extremely frustrated at players nowadays not making the correct plays. Of course modern players are now super aggressive, almost recognising something Hellmuth doesn't, that you need to be aggressive to give yourself a chance to hit big scores and somehow separate yourself from every other player. (intrinsically linked to excellent FF information available now without any real effort being put in to attain it)

He just keeps on with the robotic plays which are now only good enough for a definite top 50k finish perhaps. Then again Egersdorff can be aggressive and what has happened to him this season is indicative of how aggressive play can also backfire.

Or this could be all crap and in fact, next season will be different and he'll finish top 100.

Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Post by Archy »

Yup, I've long believed he's too conservative and lacks any kind of dynamism.

A look at his squad value is telling i think. It's only £102.6m, which is really low for this stage of the season. It suggests to me a lack of proactive activity in the transfer market.

Also interesting is the fact he got off to a great start, was inside the top 1k in GW16, but in the subsequent 16 GWs has plumetted to outside the 100,000. How does a supposed world leader in the game let that kind of advantage slide so badly, I wonder?

Valeron
FISOhead

Post by Valeron »

the explanation is simple....variance. He had loads of breaks early in the season and none in recent weeks.

Long term, he was never the genius many made him out be be, and nor it he the busted flush some are saying he is now. It's just randomness. Ville is a grinder and it'll continue to serve him well.

Plus there's the issue that it was by all accounts a piece of piss to finish in the top 10k as recently as 8 years ago, now there must be tens of thousands following moves of the FFS etc.

Egersdorff has lost the plot from what I've seen. e.g. He took a 12-point hit in GW31 to get a full team out, that's just bad planning.

Ville's a big favourite to finish above the likes of Billy Bongo in any given season, that's for sure.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Or maybe he’s been poorly
Or maybe he’s got a new job
Or maybe he’s become a dad (again?) and has other things to occupy him
Or...

...?

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 16:18 Or maybe he’s been poorly
Or maybe he’s got a new job
Or maybe he’s become a dad (again?) and has other things to occupy him
Or...

...?
Exactly SP; there's lots of real life stuff that can take priority.

Meanwhile, another storming week for Stem who is back in the top 200.

firebug
Wideboy

Post by firebug »

I'm currently in top 1k, and the only thing that separates my team and Ville's is essentially ~3 transfers that has a cascading negative affect on Ville's team

In GW15, I kept Hazard and transferred in Kane. Ville transferred out Hazard to fund Kane. Hazard then went to score 37 points in 4 weeks or 9.25 PPG. Leading up to GW27 I also transferred out Hazard for Mane, who then went on a tear.

Between GW25-GW30, Ville went without both Sterling/Aguero.

Aguero PPG - 52 points in 5 game weeks
Sterling PPG - 54 points in 5 game weeks

Thats basically it. It only takes a few errors in judgement from finsihing top 1k and like 50k.

AllesErobert
Wideboy

Post by AllesErobert »

firebug wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 06:08 I'm currently in top 1k, and the only thing that separates my team and Ville's is essentially ~3 transfers that has a cascading negative affect on Ville's team

In GW15, I kept Hazard and transferred in Kane. Ville transferred out Hazard to fund Kane. Hazard then went to score 37 points in 4 weeks or 9.25 PPG. Leading up to GW27 I also transferred out Hazard for Mane, who then went on a tear.

Thats basically it. It only takes a few errors in judgement from finsihing top 1k and like 50k.
Yep, the margins between top players are now very fine. Plenty of skillful players out there and inevitably luck is now playing much bigger role in separating success from failure.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

+1 to both of these. Throw in a couple of wrong close captain calls as well and it can be a massive swing.

dod
FISOhead
FS Record: I have never won FPL.

Post by dod »

firebug wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 06:08 I'm currently in top 1k, and the only thing that separates my team and Ville's is essentially ~3 transfers that has a cascading negative affect on Ville's team

Excellent self awareness. This is a game of small margins and one 50/50 decision can have a butterfly effect that either makes or destroys your season. This is why I spend most of my time worrying about the game mechanics (which is a source of points I can control) rather than player picks, which are hugely influenced by luck.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

firebug wrote:I'm currently in top 1k, and the only thing that separates my team and Ville's is essentially ~3 transfers that has a cascading negative affect on Ville's team

It's not basically it at all

Those same weeks I went without Aguero , and only had Sterling for two weeks I sold him after an 18 point haul

Rank went from 43k to 9k

To just say it's simple isn't correct

It's fair to say anyone can have a bad run and he's been unlucky, but this has been the same for last 3 seasons, their are many played in FISO that have have out played him these last 3 seasons and it's not been just luck.

He's been brilliant in the past but his old formulas are not working anymore

Try as you might to find a convenient excuse re Sterling and Aguero he's made many poor calls. Not having Sterling and Aguero wasn't one of them, as I've demonstrated

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I think he struggles to approach the game dynamically, that's a fair criticism. But in his defence, that is probably one of the hardest skills in life. He probably does still have the eye for a good player, but seems unable to throw away a previous plan.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

Tacalabala wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 09:55 I think he struggles to approach the game dynamically, that's a fair criticism. But in his defence, that is probably one of the hardest skills
To be fair, I'm not sure anyone can do this any more. The days of constant top 1k finishes are over for everyone imo.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Tacalabala wrote:I think he struggles to approach the game dynamically, that's a fair criticism. But in his defence, that is probably one of the hardest skills in life. He probably does still have the eye for a good player, but seems unable to throw away a previous plan.
I remember last season when Ville sold Salah around GW 8. When Salah hauled, he immediately corrected his mistake and bought him back for next week.

Maybe that's a one-off, don't know. Still feel his style is FPL 101.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

What did our friend do this week?

SG_8
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 3 Top 10k finishes

Post by SG_8 »

A little surprised by him going for 2 Brighton players AND a Cardiff player in defence! it's so typical though to see him invest all his funds in midfield and attack and go with a cheap as chips defence. It's always been his style, though he does deviate from it sometimes. He probably feels there are gains to be made this week and doesn't like the premium defensive options. His low team value could also be a factor for this.

I'm not surprised by the inclusion of Pogba, he prioritizes the nailed and talisman type of players more than stats generally. Keeps it pretty simple. I do think he might struggle in the upcoming gameweeks without any LIV players / needs to do multiple transfers to get them. We shall see.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

I think he's relying on Liv slipping up. Which could be his tactic to try and storm up the rankings. He could conceivably make up 20 points by selecting Pogba over the next 2 gweeks. He'll probably wait on the result of the Man C - Spurs game and transfer out the players for the winning team to get Liverpool players.

Definitely gone for defenders with goal threat! He'll struggle in GW38 with those defenders (a little surprised he didn't opt for a value S'ton defender) but it was tough to not have to make defender transfers without spending big.

firebug
Wideboy

Post by firebug »

Ville 2 transfers this gw for -4

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

One to add to the list (not on FFS): Ben Phillips

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/a/ent ... 45/history

Extraordinary record - on for 7th consecutive top 10k, with two top 1ks thrown in.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Decent GW for Ville (118pts on BB). Gives him a decent boost in the rankings, which I think also moves him back above BillyB in the title race perhaps only I am following!

AllesErobert
Wideboy

Post by AllesErobert »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 22:51 Decent GW for Ville (118pts on BB). Gives him a decent boost in the rankings, which I think also moves him back above BillyB in the title race perhaps only I am following!
Was just about to check this myself lol

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Can I have a link to Billy B's team please? I'd like to follow a true expert in the game.

AllesErobert
Wideboy

Post by AllesErobert »

Stemania wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 14:03 One to add to the list (not on FFS): Ben Phillips

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/a/ent ... 45/history

Extraordinary record - on for 7th consecutive top 10k, with two top 1ks thrown in.
wow, that's incredible record indeed!!

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore

Post by Sutter Kane »

And Ville makes a transfer...

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”