To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Paw's for thought

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Paw's for thought

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Step in, sit down, take some time to reflect: A place for my, probably infrequent, ruminations and questions.
Like you I'll probably be checking on Sammy or Ironfist's threads for detailed discussion, but a few comments to help shape my team would be much appreciated. Starting with...

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Re: Paw's for thought

Post by Smurphy Paw »

image.jpg
Very simply, a wildcard team with a Man City core. Kompany and YaYa buck the trend a little, but I am increasingly settled on them. Most of the rest falls in to shape, but opinions on the following will help me to resolve the last couple of slots:

I would love to settle on a £5.1m midfielder to allow Benteke up front but, Albrighton aside (I have Mahrez), I can't spot one. Who is the diamond in the rough who is prepared to sit on the bench most weeks, but be fabulous when called on? Any ideas?

Romero (at the mo) will probably be Butland however I am keen to hear why Myhill would be a better bet. What are the most compelling reasons to have him over Butland?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lejund
Wideboy

Post by lejund »

Team looks solid, are you not worried about not having any saints cover? I respect form over fixtures but their result against Everton was not as wide as the full time result suggests

What is your desired formation?

If 3-5-3 I would drop Depay to a regular 4.5M MID (Westwood, Anya, Wanyama etc) and upgrade Kone to Benteke

Not a lot of options at 5.0m, one to keep an eye on is Ireland (STO) but current form I would go for Hoolahan (NOR)

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

As I started my wildcard I was heading for 3-5-2. Through the week I have become worried about being 'too light' up front and that's why I am considering 3-4-3 again.

sthelendslad92
Treebeard

Post by sthelendslad92 »

Just a thought, if you downgraded Payet to Cabaye and a 4.5 defender (Huth?) to a 4.0, you could afford Sakho.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

I have Sakho over Kone at the expense of Huth (Oxford), Kompany (Kolorov) and Butland (Hennessey) or we're on the same page.

sthelendslad92
Treebeard

Post by sthelendslad92 »

Cool. I suppose it all depends on whether you want to go 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, there isn't much point making room for Sakho if he'll be on the bench.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

I could have Kone & Benteke for Sakho & Gomis I suppose

sthelendslad92
Treebeard

Post by sthelendslad92 »

Yeah, like I said just depends on what formation you want to be playing.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Though Sakho & Gomis have Sunderland & Bournemouth whereas Kone & Benteke Have Arsenal & Man City. The question perhaps is more in sync with the OP i.e. Sakho :arrow: Kone to be benched, play Mahrez v Spurs and change Kolorov to Kompany. Though I'm feeling Kolorov may be worth the gamble for now. Even though Clichy is fit ( :cry: ) he wont be 'match' fit... :?:

sthelendslad92
Treebeard

Post by sthelendslad92 »

I know, the city left back thing is such a ball ache. I might have to downgrade Payet to Ayew in my setup to upgrade to Kompany.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

The Case for the Defence:

I am not completely happy with the defence, and am currently thinking along these lines...
Kompany or Kolarov: Not much on this really. I have yet to see a Kolarov discussion that doesn't have Clichy casting a large shadow and will opt for the safer, if less spectacular option.
Darmian: Until he picks up too many yellow cards I want to have Man U defensive coverage. Schneiderlin gives me the reassurance that the defence will be better than last year, and despite early wobbles and misgivings, that wasn't too bad at all anyway. An Arsenal defender is an easy swap away.
Gomez: May need to be shipped at some point, not yet though and whilst he's in he's predicted to get a few hauls and fare well with regards to VFM. That's good enough for me and allows cash to be spent elsewhere

Now it gets a little bit more uncertain
Richards and Huth or Williams and Targett?:
Richards and Huth locks in a price rise, reasonable/middling prospects, will occasionally pick the wrong one and have a clean sheet on the bench
Williams and Targett gives me a £5M price range defender to hop on and off, as well as the Southampton coverage that lejund pointed out; Targett losing his place will be annoying, but he'll then become Player No 15 on the roster and is only £4M sitting there doing nothing
I am currently leaning towards the latter. That's the right move, isn't it?

The downgrade option: I am always envious of those that are brave enough to spend less in defence. It's the way in to a better 8th mid/fwd, but I can never bring myself to do it.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

The Man Utd defence is an area that I'm still unsure about. They've been ok so far, good even, but if they lose DDG I do wonder how many cleansheets they can secure. Having said that, before the season I did say that I thought Darmian would be a decent pick given the cover in their midfield and so far he's proven to be so.

I think it's key to have one of Kolarov/Darmian/Shaw in for the price point, it just comes down to which one, and then whether or not you should add another one or look to WBA.

I'm currently sitting on Shaw, 5.0, Kolarov (4.5, 4.0) but this is only in light of last night's game where Cedric did not start. I think that my plan might have to be to start with both the 5.5s and then downgrade to whichever 5.0 catches my eye over the next few weeks. I would put Sagna in but their attacking assets are too good to miss out on.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Mav, whilst I share your MU reservations it looks like we agree that some MU & MC coverage is warranted. Time will tell which of our two pairs were the better option, and there are arguments for both. They stay. I agree regarding Sagna and doubling up on their defence, and am not brave enough to double up on MU's.

5.0 & 4.0 over 4.5/4.5 demands a punt on Targett or Oxford, doesn't it? I had Targett in Week 1 and he's only been out of the team whilst I tinker. I think he's heading back in.

I am interested in your views on WBA. On someone else's thread (probably Sammy's), you were very clear in your thinking about having Myhill in goal and it is you who got me thinking about him over Butland. Doing that for me means not needing a WBA defender as well which is a plus. Care to share your thoughts and remove any residual doubts I have?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

In terms of WBA, I just think they are the safest of the 5.0 defences, and quite a bit superior to any of the 4.5s, even with fixture strength rotation so I'm not too worried about the double up.

At the start of the season, I had been pretty clear on going with Azpil, 5.0, 5.0 (as my three starting defenders). With the issues at Chelsea and the attraction of Kolarov/Darmian/Shaw, it seems obvious to drop Azpil to a 5.5 for now.

The first 5.0 slot has always been a WBA defender in my mind. They have the fixtures and solidity from GW4 to return decent points and I'm happy with the downgrade (from the 3rd best 5.5) or the upgrade (from the 4.5 rotation). Those two positions are pretty much locked in for me and I just have to fill the remaining space in my starting defence.

I will very likely have Targett, and a 4.5 so the last spot is either a 5.0 defender, a 4.5 defender or taking a bit of cash from the front 7 and picking Shaw. I could also put in place a 3x4.5 rotation for the same money, but I can't really see 3x4.5 defenders that I think will do well.

I'm probably likely to go with Williams (SWA) as my third defender, but I do keep thinking that Shaw/Darmian might be worth the extra while his price is upwardly mobile.

sthelendslad92
Treebeard

Post by sthelendslad92 »

What about Sagna? He's 5.0 and Zabaleta has just been ruled out for a month. I think west brom 5.0's a re a safe bet, but I don't want to double up as I already have Myhill. So maybe: Darmian, Sagna, Williams, Muniesa/Ward, Targett?

I would have thought that Turner would be more popular than Williams, lest risk of collecting yellows possibly.

EDIT: Sorry Mav3rick, just seen your post about Sagna in 'Another season, another team.'

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

sthelendslad92 wrote:What about Sagna? He's 5.0 and Zabaleta has just been ruled out for a month. I think west brom 5.0's a re a safe bet, but I don't want to double up as I already have Myhill. So maybe: Darmian, Sagna, Williams, Muniesa/Ward, Targett?

I would have thought that Turner would be more popular than Williams, lest risk of collecting yellows possibly.

EDIT: Sorry Mav3rick, just seen your post about Sagna in 'Another season, another team.'
I don't think that's a bad lineup at all. I'm thinking of doing something similar, with Shaw, Kolarov, Taylor (SWA), 4.5, Targett, with the idea that I will probably end up downgrading one of Shaw or Kolarov to a 5.0 WBA defender when I see who is settled there.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Thanks all. The Keepers and Defence are now locked and loaded:
Myhill and McCarthy
Kompany, Darmian, SWA, Gomez, Targett

I was going to move on to discussing the midfield and attack, but it's been done to death in the half dozen live RMT's.
Sanchez. Nuff said.
Silva or Yaya is a judgement call and I think I'm going to pick the lower scorer, but it helps get:
Mata or Depay. If anyone has a crystal ball and actually knows, please reply.
Payet and Mahrez are no surprise

In attack, as expected, Aguero and Gomis remain.
So that means that the last choice is to downgrade Kone to Jerome to leave me with £0.2m for upgrades. Given the uncertainty around one or two players this seems sensible.

Discuss

bcfc1903
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: william hill champion 2010, 2012. all-inclusive league winner 2012, second x-league 2012.

Post by bcfc1903 »

Looking through this forum and that of FFS, one thing I have noticed is the lack of Chelsea assets. I can understand the desire to omit Chelsea assets players, based on the opening 2 fixtures. But surely this is shortism thinking?
Is the thinking that a Benteke/Gomis partnership VS Costa/Deeney (just random players of top of my head) offers a similar return, especially when one would probably captain Aguero on a near weekly basis??

I am on WC and I just sit so uncomfortable on the idea that I do not have any coverage from Chelsea.

bcfc1903
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: william hill champion 2010, 2012. all-inclusive league winner 2012, second x-league 2012.

Post by bcfc1903 »

Looking through this forum and that of FFS, one thing I have noticed is the lack of Chelsea assets. I can understand the desire to omit Chelsea assets players, based on the opening 2 fixtures. But surely this is shortism thinking?
Is the thinking that a Benteke/Gomis partnership VS Costa/Deeney (just random players of top of my head) offers a similar return, especially when one would probably captain Aguero on a near weekly basis??

I am on WC and I just sit so uncomfortable on the idea that I do not have any coverage from Chelsea.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

That's a fair point. Who were you thinking of having?
Before responding (& waiting a few hours for the FISO gremlins to be resolved - was anybody else affected?) I checked the Chelsea players and don't know who I would bring in immediately.
Courtois? Price dropped so that's an incentive, but I've gone for lower value keepers
Azpi? I just took him out, but it'd be a good differential with x3 City mid/attack
Hazard/Costa? Sanchez & Aguero just look to be in better form at the moment & team value isn't high enough to have all the premium players.

So who were you thinking of?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Smurphy's Paw wrote:Thanks all. The Keepers and Defence are now locked and loaded:
Myhill and McCarthy
Kompany, Darmian, SWA, Gomez, Targett
Last minute tinkering and I have decided to retain Richards instead of bringing Williams in.
Richards already has half a price rise, his fixtures are no better, no worse than Swansea.
Kone gets the nod up front, but I am nervous about this.

The £0.5m in the bank is reassuring for future changes in one move not two - I have built in risk associated with Myhill, McMarthy, Gomez, Targett, Kone, that I think I just need to accept

bcfc1903
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bcfc1903 »

Smurphy's Paw wrote:That's a fair point. Who were you thinking of having?
Before responding (& waiting a few hours for the FISO gremlins to be resolved - was anybody else affected?) I checked the Chelsea players and don't know who I would bring in immediately.
Courtois? Price dropped so that's an incentive, but I've gone for lower value keepers
Azpi? I just took him out, but it'd be a good differential with x3 City mid/attack
Hazard/Costa? Sanchez & Aguero just look to be in better form at the moment & team value isn't high enough to have all the premium players.

So who were you thinking of?
Sorry about the delay posting back.

I have gone with Costa up top. I'm hoping the introduction of Pedro has a positive effect. Feeling uncomfortable not having Benteke, but you simply cannot have everybody.

I just cannot see, Chelsea competing in the manner they are currently and I guess, I am letting the heart rule the head.

For the record, my WC team is:

Butland, McCarthy
Kolarov (God, I know this is wrong but ...), Francis, Gomez, Richards, STaylor
YaYa (downgraded from Silva :shock: ), Payet, Sanchez, Fletcher, Mahrez
Gomis, Sergio, Costa.

Am I totally comfortable? No but hey ho...

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Here's the thing. Before the season started the teams of people who spent a lot of time in this part of the forum got ever closer to one another as a degree of consensus broke out about who to have, what formation, etc.
With so many of the same people suffering from a topsy-turvy first couple of weeks and triggering an early wildcard that has happened again.
We like to think that we're super-informed, but recent history suggests that we are equally fallible and that makes me as nervous as missing out on next week's bandwagon.There are also one or two surprises in store before the transfer deadline - today's MU story in the BBC Gossip column is that Neymar might be on his way. I'd dismantle my team for points hits if that were true.
I think that you should trust your judgement, Chelsea's mediocrity will not be allowed for long, it's not in Mourinho's DNA and there's a reasonable chance that we'll be scrabbling around to copy you a week or two too late. For me, Man U's plum fixture is the reason why I have Depay in there and he'd have to leave for me to fit in a Chelsea player in my front 7. But that's a rotation spot so who knows who'll be there by the end of the International break!

PS Your location info always makes me smile. I thought that we Owls fans had it in for Leeds :-)

Good luck

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Well that pretty much picked itself!
image.jpg
How many hours do the rest of you think you spent on this in the last week?
Shall we do a points-per-hour comparison? I'll estimate too (once I've taken the kids to the excellent Shaun the Sheep Trail in the centre of Bristol. They deserve a bit of attention)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

So, 54 all out. Had I not wild carded I would have achieved 43 WITH A BENCH BOOST CHIP, a few less than that without and I imagine I probably gained a point an hour spent on this over the last week.
Now to this week, having missed Wilson's first price rise but with enough in the bank to do a single transfer upgrade of Kone. It will leave me playing 4-3-3 this weekend.
Or do I look at my post wild card team, scratch my head at a couple of uncertainties and consider a -4 to ship Depay and Payet for Pedro and Barkley?

I know the right answer is don't take a hit. Are there any other right answers?

How about a -8 to do all three? I have the right money exactly, and points in the bank :? Talk to me!
image.jpg

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

I'd just do the single upgrade of Kone to Wilson.
I dont fancy Pedro & Barkley doing enough over Depay & Payet to justify -8 pts.
I also have a sneaky suspicion Fellaini might start up front for ManYoo too and Depay will capitalise - but thats just me :-)

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Beerfuelledman wrote:I'd just do the single upgrade of Kone to Wilson.
I dont fancy Pedro & Barkley doing enough over Depay & Payet to justify -8 pts.
I also have a sneaky suspicion Fellaini might start up front for ManYoo too and Depay will capitalise - but thats just me :-)
Likewise. Either just this, or Kone :arrow: Wilson and Payet :arrow: someone (probably not Barkley, due to fixtures) for a -4.

I think my preference would probably be just the Wilson change for free though, and I would be tempted to bench Payet for Targett and go 4-4-2.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Thanks fellas. That's exactly what I have done. Putting it out here stopped me pulling the trigger in the extra changes when I knew that it was wrong.
And I have also gone with 4 at the back - although 4-3-3 not 4-4-2, which is what I assume you mean? Of if not, who did you think that I'd bench?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

A -4 always seems like an indulgence and makes me feel like a bit of a cheat.
Depay to Pedro wasn't going to make itself without a second fund raising transfer.
Payet to Sako done. Sako's next fixture is poor which helps me decide who to bench (him).
The £1m in the bank will be very welcome for future transfers without having to resort to hits.

Now if Bale does join the league tomorrow would I turn that -4 into a -8? Don't suppose that will really be an issue

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”