To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

math(s)! 2020/2021 RMT Covidiot Edition

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Re: math(s)! 2019/2020 RMT Fear the Demon!

Post by math! »

Chelsea v Sheffield United

I can see Emerson being a valuable player after the break with Rudiger and Kante back, pending future injuries. Even the pacey Reece James. As much as I love Azpilicueta, he is a bit slow these days and can be turned over. The second SU goal today a highlight of that.

SU are a team I considered awkward for attackers and felt that people were shortchanging them as favourable opponents. Both goals today, and the two against Leicester, were either a defensive howler or a wonder strike. They did sort themselves out at half time today so they need to play another big team to see their worth. They have two good spells this season where you could start a defender.

Chelsea clearly missed Pedro today. Mount needs to be in the middle, and Pulisic on the left. Pedro was playing some of his best football on the right wing and distracts the opposition defence enough to give Mount more influence.

Southampton v Man Utd

I like Ole but United seemed to be a mess later in the game. Daniel James looks a dangerous player as long as they play well.

Man City v Brighton

Trossard playing OOP up top? The concern was that with Potter switching between 3-5-2 and 3-4-3 he could be rotated. However, Andone was suspended. Removed him for Mount anyway.

De Bruyne was a player I wanted from the start but with S&S it was too pricey. If he stays fit he is a season keeper. A transfer that worked out.

Aguero, usually a template player, is scoring a lot this season but largely ignored for an expensive midfield. Sterling v Aguero it is then. Sterling won't blank often.

So 3 mids for 6m~ who are potential goalscorers, with two of the three scoring a few already this season.

Playing Styles

Placeholder.

Transfers that worked this week
De Bruyne
Haller
Digne?

Haller scoring a great goal and VAR being abysmal again denying a penalty after he was fouled.

Transfers that didn't
Mount
Cantwell

Reasons: No Pedro, missed chances. Second half Chelsea forced too many risky passes that obviously weren't going to work. Less possession, broken rhythm. Lampard will surely address this, players will grow as the season continues.

Team for the post IB GW:

Pope
Zinchenko, Digne, Robertson
Salah, Sterling, De Bruyne, Mount, Cantwell
Haller, Pukki

Norwich v MCI
Great match for the City players. Possibly also for the Norwich players with Laporte injured. Want to avoid Defender v Attackers though.

AVL v WH
Villa conceded 22 shots against CPA but only 1 goal. They can defend well sometimes.

WOL v CHE
A game I am concerned about. Awkward opponents who play the same formation as SU. Traore is playing much better this season at RWB. Thankfully he is on Emerson's side. Should be a much stronger Chelsea team by then.

LIV v NEW
Handy game for Liverpool defenders but anything can happen with Newcastle. Arnold keeps getting the points, Robertson gets forward a lot and journeys into the box surely he will starting getting something eventually, similarly to Emerson.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Great write up math! You hint at times that you see a number of games live through work (being nosey, I’d love to understand more); and it shows.

We could conceivably have 10/11 the same next week, TAA/Robertson being the difference that isn’t too different! I’m considering Lundstrum instead of Cantwell though. The emerging Southampton approach of longer balls is one that SU experienced last season in the Championship so I am wondering if they’ll be up for the task.

That’s a detail. Once again, great post

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 12:06 Great write up math! You hint at times that you see a number of games live through work (being nosey, I’d love to understand more); and it shows.

We could conceivably have 10/11 the same next week, TAA/Robertson being the difference that isn’t too different! I’m considering Lundstrum instead of Cantwell though. The emerging Southampton approach of longer balls is one that SU experienced last season in the Championship so I am wondering if they’ll be up for the task.

I work for a fairly large sports data company so I get access to pretty much most matches around the world. It also means I have access to stats on nearly every match. You might be surprised by how subjective stats really are. Even what you expect to be trusthworthy sources can miss shots etc. or attribute them to the wrong player.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

math! wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 18:01
Smurphy's Paw wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 12:06 Great write up math! You hint at times that you see a number of games live through work (being nosey, I’d love to understand more); and it shows.

I work for a fairly large sports data company so I get access to pretty much most matches around the world. It also means I have access to stats on nearly every match. You might be surprised by how subjective stats really are. Even what you expect to be trusthworthy sources can miss shots etc. or attribute them to the wrong player.
Well, maybe. I had hoped it was a little less subjective these days :lol:
I have a sports business and sports science background, from back in the glorious early days when we recorded data on paper and then typed up. I worked in the industry for a few years as well so I’m genuinely interested
Best wishes

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

The theme of the team is frustration and elation.

Points this GW: 66

The main mistake here is having Zouma as first sub. Even though I was sure he would not feature, and it was through crazy circumstances that he did, I should have considered Sub 1 v Sub 2 better.

Mount could have had two goals against Liverpool so I can look past his 2 points. The Norwich duo blanked however Burnley on their day can make any attackers look frustrated and a bit average.

Pukki's strength lies in his off the ball movement, reading of defence, and spatial awareness. I believe Norwich's strength is in playing fast attacking football. A team like Burnley can negate that. Looking at the timeline of the match, Norwich may have had the ball in the final third a lot but they didn't play at a fast tempo. That would make it harder for Pukki to exploit an unsettled back line. Pukki had 3 shots in the box, 2 from central locations however xG was low.

Worth thinking about in future with other teams Norwich come up against.

Two concerns going forward 1) being reliant on Norwich's attacking form with two of their players being in my team, and 2) keeping Digne. Everton tend to be doggy doodoo away from home but it has now crept into their home form it seems. With City next and their fixtures alternating home and away for a number of GWs is it worth keeping him? A better alternative may be Zouma and Digne out for Tomori and Soyuncu who both should be starting and have good fixtures.

Haller is another player of interest. With a goal in every two games last season and he was injured for some part of it, in a team that is only getting better under Pellegrini (a manager I've admired since his Villarreal days) he might have been worth keeping if not for Abraham's form.

This is a team I like more. Arnold takes free kicks which edges him over Robertson. Digne is still an ongoing issue. He could become Tomori if Everton don't look like improving. Greenwood may even get some starts when he is fit due to all the injuries.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Wildcarded into the team above with one change. Digne is now Alonso. Abraham and Son rose once before I made the decision so I lost 0.2m by waiting.

Original: Digne. Has yet to play. Everton's abysmal away form has seeped into their home form.

Replacement: Alonso. Even though Alonso got no attacking points I'm very pleased with how heavily involved he was. In the first half he was on for an assist or goal on three occasions and, on a fourth where Pedro fired a shot from range, he was standing in front of the keeper for a tap in if the ball came loose.

Original: Haller. Had an assist.

Replacement: Abraham. Should have scored. Is becoming a complete striker and again shows similarities to Drogba.

Original: Salah. No goals. Didn't look dangerous. Albeit Sheffield United are finding their feet at this level.

Replacement: Son. Had an assist. Was subbed off around 60'. Tactical? Returning to full fitness?

Original: Pukki. No goals. Need to watch the match/check the stats timeline. Is this a blip or a sign that he has been sussed out?

Replacement: Bobby Firmino. No goals. An integral component in Liverpool's attack. Should have scored or gotten an assist in their best chance of the game. He dropped deep a few times just to get the ball moving. Origi came on but it was for Henderson. He was eventually subbed however.

Original: Robertson.

Replacement: Alexander-Arnold(Schwarzenegger). Had a quiet game by his standards but still seemed to be more involved that Robertson.

Original: Zouma. With the emergence of Tomori, he's a spent force (has been since his knee injury really). His last action was to deny me 12 points off the bench.

Replacement: Soyuncu. The best 4.5 along with Tomori. Looks a good player with a good run of fixtures. Hasn't played yet.

Note: Why didn't I bring in Adrian over Pope? Alisson's return obviously influenced this but I don't even know when that is.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

A month and a half since the last post. Time flies and I've been lazy!

At the time of the last post, on GW7, I had completed my Wildcard. I had also achieved one green arrow and moved from 2,145,171 to 1,443,286 in the previous GW. That has since become 7 green arrows in a row and a gradual increase to 129,453 (100k before the Liverpool v City match). 129k on its own isn't a rank to be proud of but it's hard not to feel positive about climbing 2 million places in such a crazy season.

Overall the WC seemed to work well and I ended up playing 4-4-2 more often than expected when the earlier plan was 4-5-1. I quite liked how I could run 3-5-2, 4-4-2 or 3-4-3. Speaking of 3-4-3..

I like the three strikers. I have no issue with their form right now so I think I'll be paying attention to their team's overall form. Alternatives are Rashford and Wood. Pukki could return to the goals in future if Norwich can regroup.

The midfield will go through some changes.
  • -Mane for Sterling is one change.
    - I am still not sure what to do with Son. I was going to remove him a couple of weeks ago but decided to keep faith and he has West Ham & Bournemouth up next. Still, having a Spurs attacker is risky with the way they have been playing this season.
    - I would like to have Pulisic over Mount but Mount is at least more stable regarding minutes.
    - Martial is looking sharp but my concern is that the game is often played around him and when the ball does go to him, he is there to hold it and pass it. Man Utd have a lot of potential against teams they can catch on the counter.
    - Cantwell has been baggage for weeks and does nothing but drop in price. His Norwich teammate Onel Hernandez is confident looking winger and looks very lively at 5.3m. Worth considering if I don't go for a basement price rotter/2pter.
Defence has undergone a few changes.
  • -Gone are the high priced attacking drop prone wingbacks of Mendy (a 1 week punt that really just prevented me from getting Otamendi's 1 point over Lundstrams mega haul) and Alonso, being replaced by the cheapies of Tomori and Rico.
    - I am afraid to leave Lundstram as second sub. I think he will have to remain first sub or a starter. He earned his attacking points. He often makes runs into the box when SU attack.
    - Sheffield United's gravy run is coming up in 3 GWs. I think I spent more time looking at them than any other team at the start of the season. They really have brought their defensive form from last season into the EPL. I will certainly have a second player either Henderson or a wingback when the run starts. Other than that, I see no reason to tamper with the backline...unless Reece James is the new first choice RB. He is nearly the same price as Tomori (for me) at this point.
So overall the team looks healthy enough at the back and up top but midfield needs some attention.

- Sterling :arrow: Mane.
- Cantwell to continue being a paperweight.
- Son :arrow: Martial potentially in future depending on the form of both teams and whether Martial gets to be more than a target man more often.
- Reecey James, Pulisic potential changes from their cheaper counterparts.
- Henderson or Baldock or Stevens in for GW15. Both wingbacks are on the same points but Baldock is 0.6m cheaper. Baldock's points last 5 GWs: 6,6,1,6,8 Stevens' last 5: 6,6,4,6,2 :shock:
- TAA to stop scoring less than Robertson.

Fun fact: Mali will have three wingers named Adama Traoré if the Wolves player rejects Spain and switches allegiance. He will have to switch allegiance to being not injured first.

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

Nice write up math and good form as well :) Shame we can not get a win in the 5AS, but that run would have got you two promotions in the FISO divisional championship if you want to add your team.
Your back line looks solid and I envy you Tomori, I may even follow you with that choice but after the City match.
I am in a similar situation to you with Son but I think I will hold him until United and Martial's form improves as can not see a better option at the same price band.
Good luck any way ( especially in the 5AS :) )

noelix
Treebeard
FS Record: Nothing of note

Post by noelix »

Oxford NZ wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 20:12 Nice write up math and good form as well :) Shame we can not get a win in the 5AS, but that run would have got you two promotions in the FISO divisional championship if you want to add your team.
Your back line looks solid and I envy you Tomori, I may even follow you with that choice but after the City match.
I am in a similar situation to you with Son but I think I will hold him until United and Martial's form improves as can not see a better option at the same price band.
I've seen you mention the divisionals a few times but I don't know where to find it to take a look please ONZ?

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

noelix wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 15:11
Oxford NZ wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 20:12 Nice write up math and good form as well :) Shame we can not get a win in the 5AS, but that run would have got you two promotions in the FISO divisional championship if you want to add your team.
I've seen you mention the divisionals a few times but I don't know where to find it to take a look please ONZ?
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=131090

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

Thanks math!!

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Another solid week. 4th week in a row with 70+ points. 8th green arrow in a row, up to 47k overall (was 42k before last night). It won't last forever but hopefully I can keep it going as long as possible.

My team I feel is in such a good place that I only had to move one player to complete my team for the next GW moving Tomori off the bench and Lundstram onto it. Benching Lundstram feels scary (it's like my first season when I had Mahrez at Leicester and it became a running gag that you don't bench Mahrez). Also I already own 4 of the 8 players that rose this week. I noticed the top 10k template team is almost identical to mine with the exception of 2 players.

Goalkeeper: Pope - Seems to be highly owned and you know he can get you points so no worries there.

Defence: Tomori, TAA, Soyuncu.
  • Brighton spent a lot of their last match under siege and didn't look tremendously dangerous going forward, this should be a handy game for TAA. Now if Robertson could stop taking all the attacking points!

Everton are still a team with problems with a manager constantly being linked with a job loss. Not a hugely concerning fixture for Soyuncu.

West Ham are all over the place but this is a derby match with Chelsea and it should be a spicy one. If their late surge v Spurs had not happened I would feel much more confident as prior to that I saw some body language that suggested some of the players don't get along.
Midfield: Mane, Son, De Bruyne, Mount
  • Mane is a safe bet to start.

De Bruyne should also be. Man City have done well against Newcastle. I could look at KDB with Jesus v KDB v Aguero but I am not removing him or benching him or captaining him so there is not much point.

Son has been playing well for a few weeks despite Spurs being the south side of a north facing cow. I was initially concerned with his wide position at the start of the last game but he eventually switched sides and went central getting a few shots off. I held him through the break expecting WH to be a handy fixture for him and was rewarded. B'mouth should be another rewarding experience. If Jose can unsettle Ake that would be nice.

I have been considering how I can remove Mount for weeks. I don't see him getting enough chances to score or assist anymore. Pulisic is evidently the more impactful player and looks to have surpassed Hudson-Odoi on the left.
Attack: The three musketeers
  • Jimenez - He is playing well and scoring but has Sheffield United next. SU are normally solid but they did just concede 3 goals.

Vardy (C) - He is playing well and scoring and has Everton next. Everton are there for the taking. A form team v a not so form team. Pipped ahead of Son for the band.

Abarham - He is playing well enough. He has this weird trend where if he blanks in the league he blanks two weeks in a row! I hope the trend is buried against WH. Tammy is a Chelsea man so he is tuned into this derby.
GW whatever.PNG
I have promoted Cantwell to second sub. I've lost a few 0.1s over the weeks from drops but he scored recently and even started along with Hernandez (good player, loves to take on the defender, full of confidence). I didn't watch the last match but in the one prior Norwich heavily attacked through Hernandez so maybe that will give Cantwell more breathing room to sneak into scoring positions. The only reason he isn't first sub is because I refuse to have Lundstram too far from the starting team.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by math! on 26 Nov 2019, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Interesting re Tammy, I was pondering him as Vardy must be due a blank?

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

It seems risky trying to predict when that is though.

I was looking at Mount replacements and I have exactly enough to switch him out for Tielemans (6.7m) or I could go for the cheaper Perez (6.2m). I need to find out which of the two is the better option, and if adding a third Fox is a good call.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

math! wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 19:56 It seems risky trying to predict when that is though.

I was looking at Mount replacements and I have exactly enough to switch him out for Tielemans (6.7m) or I could go for the cheaper Perez (6.2m). I need to find out which of the two is the better option, and if adding a third Fox is a good call.
Having held both this season, Perez is becoming the explosive player I hoped for in GW1.
Tielemans is my current Fox mid. His position in my team is uncertain. He’s ticking over but nothing more. I’ll hold but I wouldn’t bring him in. In fact, I’d remove him before Mount!

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 21:39
math! wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 19:56 It seems risky trying to predict when that is though.

Having held both this season, Perez is becoming the explosive player I hoped for in GW1.
Tielemans is my current Fox mid. His position in my team is uncertain. He’s ticking over but nothing more. I’ll hold but I wouldn’t bring him in. In fact, I’d remove him before Mount!
I am also leaning toward Perez.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

GW14 has gone but the green arrow train continues to roll. A GW rank of 1m yet an Overall Rank increase to 24k.

GW 15 is here! AKA Sheffield United time.

This was the week I earmarked for SU defenders, notably Henderson. So the transfer should be Pope -> Hendo. That being said, their wingbacks are a bit of a Trent/Robbo lite. Baldock would be my preference over Stevens. Pope and Henderson are almost identical in total points but Henderson has the dreamy fixture run and doesn't face Man Utd until GW31. So that could be my one transfer sorted.

My other wants are Son to Alli (who already bloody rose! :evil: ) enabling a Mount upgrade. Son was held longer than originally planned and rewarded me for it but Alli has been reborn and seems to be more of a spearhead for getting goals.

Crystal Palace have a good run of fixtures and Zaha has scored twice in a row. Possible Mount replacement after the deadline?

GW15.PNG

With the exception of the pending Pope :arrow: Henderson transfer, so far this is the lineup and it seems to depend a lot on what to expect from Villa and if Tamaraebi will be fit. If it is a defensive Villa then surely Tomori is better but if they try to attack like they did against Man Utd then Mount could be preferable. Either way I may just stick Abraham in if he is fit.

KDB remains a set and forget. Mane is the Liverpool coverage and should score again eventually. I wonder if Everton will employ the same 5 at the back tactics they used v Leicester. Sidibe had a great game at both ends. The result could have been much worse if not for him and Pickford. Could it be a bore 0-0? It has happened before I believe.

Cantwell has scored twice in a row now and nearly doubled his daily returns against Arsenal. A nice differential who I may well start again.

Captaining Vardy yet again is leaving a shadow of unease however Watford are not great and may be so bad that even the new manager smell might not help them as it has Spurs (and hasn't Arsenal).

I worry a bit about Jimenez as it's his third game in a week. Still he has the form. If there is anything I have learned this season is to trust players in form, playing in teams that are in form (at least until it dries up :lol: ).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Nice write up and good solid moves, your team is nicely set up. Not convinced that Cantwell is a regular starter although he does seem to have regained his form a bit. He looked very good against Arsenal (but then it was Arsenal!).

btw Baldock is on 4 yellows so may best be swerved anyway.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Aldershot Rejects wrote:Nice write up and good solid moves, your team is nicely set up. Not convinced that Cantwell is a regular starter although he does seem to have regained his form a bit. He looked very good against Arsenal (but then it was Arsenal!).

btw Baldock is on 4 yellows so may best be swerved anyway.
Before the last GW, Cantwell was the ever dropping bench fodder. The reason I started him was because of Hernandez who was a real handful since his return to the team.

The idea was that Hernandez would draw so much attention it would give Cantwell more time and space to slip into the shooting positions he enjoyed in the first couple of weeks. It also helps that he is back in form. Cantwell would return to the bench after this for the time being.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

That's a lot of words for "he was playing Arse"?

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

blahblah wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 21:07 That's a lot of words for "he was playing Arse"?
:lol:

@math! - good job. It worked and that is the important bit.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

The realisation has set in that I had an extra transfer last week which meant I could have swapped Son for Alli, got the extra points, and the extra 0.2m before Alli rose in price :lol: :oops: :cry:

After a solid run of green arrows, the quick deadline lead to a few mistakes and a first red arrow since GW5:

1) Starting Cantwell over Mount. Cantwell scored two goals in a row, Mount didn't score in a while. Assuming Cantwell would score three times in a row was a bit of a stretch. This was partly down to not knowing enough about AVL.
2) Captaining Vardy. I've had this feeling, and mentioned it, that captaining him too often could be a mistake. Leicester are attacking from all angles so not necessarily relying on him despite all his goals. It has to run low eventually. threw me offMane had dodgy Everton to play. Their 5 at the back and more solid performance in GW15 threw me off, somehow assuming they would be better in the derby.
3) Not realising I could have made two transfers.

The next deadline is a quick one .

I still have two transfers.

Son -> Alli
Mount -> Pulisic? Throw Perez in to the mix?

Captain - Vardy v AVL? (Why them again..) or Mane v BOU? (how do these guys keep clean sheets at the most random times?). Perhaps even Abraham v Everton? The game is too soon for a new manager to come in.

Jimenez- Wolves have played a lot of matches with the same team. Concern is tiredness despite Jimenez playing well. Ings will rise tonight, maybe he is worth a transfer? He is also really injury prone and has always managed to be injured when I own him. Perhaps later if he stays fit? Southampton have a better run than Wolves soon but Wolves have Norwich in GW18.

There is time to reflect on all this as only Ings is rising tonight (if anyone does on this list does).

gw16.PNG

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Two red arrows in a row now and a drop from 23k to the mid 50k. Taking out Mount a GW too soon left me without a goal then the following week Son scored well right after I removed him for Alli. In hindsight it should have been KDB to make way for Alli. Son is now a few mil more expensive than when I got him weeks ago.

I am pretty happy with my current team despite not having Son anymore, and Jimenez was rested finally.

I am not sure where Tomori stands in the long run. He wasn't dropped in recent weeks, he was injured. If I remove him now for Kelly, I could end up seeing a Tomori-Rudiger partnership push on while I'm in possession of a Tomori-less team. Rudiger is a far more composed CB than the rest of them and is willing to organise.

I think the best captain options this week are Vardy, Mane, and (despite his blanks) Pulisic. I think I will keep it on Vardy to play it safe as I would not be surprised to see Bournemouth suddenly become defensively solid for this one game. Still might switch to Pulisic for a sweet differential.

Transfers: I have 1 FT and I could save it and make two next week where my I have 2 guaranteed missing players + potentially Tomori as well.

Even if Tomori is fit it's v Spurs away. Cantwell and Rico don't have great fixtures either although Rico could get attacking points against Burnley (if Bournemouth remember how to score).

Kelly has a good fixture v Newcastle in GW18. Maybe Tomori -> Kelly will be this week's transfer.
gw17.PNG

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

math! wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 16:24 and Jimenez was rested finally.
Only because Nuno had literally no choice. :lol:

math! wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 16:24 If I remove him now for Kelly, I could end up seeing a Tomori-Rudiger partnership push on while I'm in possession of a Tomori-less team.
You're a Chelsea fan so you'll have a better sense about this than me probably, but if I were you I wouldn't be too worried about ditching Tomori. Beyond this GW (which he appears to be injured for anyway), I can see maybe two clean sheets for Chelsea in the next ten gameweeks. Basically, Tomori is not a player who can really hurt you, and there now looks to be better value elsewhere.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Man I'm late with this one!
Capture.PNG

I do not like this GW at all. Chelsea v Spurs is nasty. Liverpool's blank is nasty. Liverpool have a difficult enough week for attackers coupled with the congestion, having Mane feels like a bloody coin flip! The only thing I feel good about is Jimenez (C) v Norwich. I don't know why he is so low in the captaincy poll

I managed to kill the arrow blip and returned to a green. The pressure is on now! Sometimes when I have a mental block I just cheat and use FFScout and they have a completely different team to mine for a change. I'll need to mull it over and decide tomorrow.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

So I could have Cantwell starting v Wolves and that's not the worst situation but it could be better. I'm also at risk of being stuck with Soyuncu starting and a defence v attack situation, while also being at risk of having less than 11 playing should anyone be benched.

I have come to the decision of removing Mane for Richarlison. My only concern for Rich is that Everton put in an unsustainable performance against Chelsea and probably Man U as well which could leave them tired. Arsenal still look awful at the back and while their mentality could improve under Arteta (who probably scares the bejeezus out of them), he hasn't come from a defensively solid background.

If I remove Mane and bring him back I lose 0.1 (unless he somehow drops). This can be seen as a 1 week punt but this also gives me another week to monitor Pulisic. I'm hoping he makes a statement against Spurs but if not then I can always remove him for Mane and keep Richarlison. So it becomes less of a 1 week punt and more of a Pulisic -> Richarlison via Mane. Rich is also not highly owned from what I can tell so he's a nice differential.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

math! wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 10:48 So I could have Cantwell starting v Wolves and that's not the worst situation but it could be better. I'm also at risk of being stuck with Soyuncu starting and a defence v attack situation, while also being at risk of having less than 11 playing should anyone be benched.

I have come to the decision of removing Mane for Richarlison. My only concern for Rich is that Everton put in an unsustainable performance against Chelsea and probably Man U as well which could leave them tired. Arsenal still look awful at the back and while their mentality could improve under Arteta (who probably scares the bejeezus out of them), he hasn't come from a defensively solid background.

If I remove Mane and bring him back I lose 0.1 (unless he somehow drops). This can be seen as a 1 week punt but this also gives me another week to monitor Pulisic. I'm hoping he makes a statement against Spurs but if not then I can always remove him for Mane and keep Richarlison. So it becomes less of a 1 week punt and more of a Pulisic -> Richarlison via Mane. Rich is also not highly owned from what I can tell so he's a nice differential.
Rich has been quietly accumulating points so I think he is a good pick. It will be interesting to see if and when his goal return dries up as it has in previous years.

I think most of us will be struggling this week. I have 2 Leicester defenders playing 2 City attackers which is not great but with only Hayden on the bench I'm playing both of them. A surprise clean sheet would work well or attacking points he says hopefully. Also got Vardy in that match so pretty much my whole GW will be shaped by what happens.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

Went ahead with the transfer. Thankfully the match is the early kickoff so I won't have to wait long for results.

math!
Dumbledore

Post by math! »

I did not like the last GW yet in the end (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4) it worked out well. Man Utd struggling against Watford was not a surprise. Watford kept Liverpool from registering a shot on target until Salah's goal on 38'. Man Utd are just dire, they do better against attacking teams because they can counter quickly. That's essentially how they beat Chelsea. Chelsea turning up at 3 Point Lane also didn't shock me - they always start strong against top teams but, until the weekend, they didn''t stay on top or make it count.

So with all that done, with 64 points (nearly double the average score) it's another green arrow up to 13k which is a personal best. The double red arrow blip of GW15-16 was quickly sorted.

For all that went well what didn't go well? I brought in Richarlison amid a concern I noted that Everton could be tired. Their performance against Chelsea (and probably Man Utd and Leicester) was not sustainable. This looked apparent against Arsenal. If not for Ancelotti, I would not consider keeping Richie Larson. Big Dunc would have run those players into the ground.

Now with Carlo in the job, how will Everton look? He favoured 4-4-2 a lot at Napoli and at times played Drogba and Anelka up top at Chelsea. I think he did the same at AC Milan? The 4-diamond-2? That could leave DCL and one other up top. Would he put Rich there? Kean? Tosun? Even Niasse made a reappearance! Perhaps he will use 4-3-3? Another formation he does use. Kean having a manager he can actually communicate with could help him a lot.

Martinelli and Greenwood are two cheapies I am very interested in. They both look so talented and show no real sign of being overwhelmed by the step up. Martial had his chance at 9. I think Mourinho was right about him, he's better off on the left wing where he has more time and space to find goalscoring positions. Greenwood deserves more chances through the middle. Pogba's return (likely behind the striker) could see a change in how Martial plays however. Man Utd's attacking players are a wait and see for now.

I imagine Arteta will go 4-3-3 like Pep. Pepe is a really good player who would benefit greatly in this formation if he can get going. The existence of Lacazette (he's still alive!) is probably the biggest threat to Martinelli's minutes who in turn is a threat to Pepe's minutes. Even Auba could be rotated with Lacazette. Arsenal forwards are also a wait and see for now. As are their fullbacks.

The team for the next GW:

gw20.PNG

Henderson has 1 more GW before SU's good run ends. It starts up again in GW25. Hendo has registered 1, 3, 6, 12 points since i got him in. Compared to Pope's 1,0,6,7 that's a gain so I can feel pleased at that. He is the top scoring GK now but Guaita with 28 points in that spell was the best option. A switch to Foster for the following GW is what I am considering.

The defence for this week is set and I have no real qualms with it. I hope they can actually retain their clean sheets this time. 4 clean sheets became 2 late in the games last time. Kelly has ARSE and MCI back to back in a few weeks while Lundy and Hendo have MCI and LIV back to back after Watford hence why Henderson :arrow: Foster is my planned transfer for next week.

As for the midfield I have:
  • - Richarlison hopefully re-energised with the New Manager Smelltm
    - Pulisic who should really be starting against Southampton and can get some points. The concern is how well Mount and Willian played against Spurs.
    - KDB who may get a rest in the next 2 GWs. I think if he is benched he will stay benched unless MCI are really struggling. So I could leave him in the starting lineup with the first sub carefully selected.
    - Alli is probably the least likely to be rotated out of the midfield 4. I can see Brighton sitting back and waiting for a chance to counter. This won't be such a bad situation for Alli. He doesn't need any discussion. I won't be benching
    him or captaining him and with NOR and SOU up next I won't be transferring him out.
Up top is where things get sticky in name only. Abraham has easy enough opponents. Vardy can score against LIverpool but it's not a given. Jimenez is a stranger to blanks. Man City are strangers to good defending.

I feel like all three strikers can get something but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

On my bench it's Cantwell who I feel doesn't belong there. He should be starting. After scoring against Everton and Arsenal, I started him again the following week where he blanked. Posting in hindsight it felt stupid to expect him to score three weeks in a row even if it was against Southampton, and now here I am in a similar situation again.

I think the benching dilemma is clear. Either I bench Jimenez for Cantwell or I set Cantwell as first sub and expect KDB to be rested.

My transfer dilemma is not having Mane anymore and whether I should bring him in now or wait a couple of weeks. Perhaps even roll a transfer this week so I can bring in Foster plus Mane next week.

My captain has also not being decided but I do not want to make changes just prior to the deadline as they tend to go awry.

noelix
Treebeard

Post by noelix »

We have 8/11 of the same starters and I also have Cantwell first sub and a LEI defender (Pereira in my case) on the bench so I feel your pain! I am also looking at Hendo -> Foster (or maybe Ramsdale or Ryan) as my next transfer in. Fingers crossed for a good GW for both of us!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”