To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GDPR

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

GDPR

Post by Edmondson »

Anyone on fiso that is an expert or has some decent advice on the General Data Protection Regulation coming into force May 2018?

A tightening of regulations around data, focusing on consent and evidence that this has been obtained to store or use personal data for a specific purpose. Is the reality that we currently have a load of regulation around the Data Protection Act that a lot of businesses probably don't or couldn't comply with, but in practice it rarely causes them issues - and the GDPR will be similar?

Or due to the high profile of this roll out, the Information Commissioners Office staffing up - we will see some high profile examples made of big companies breaching these new regulations?

How does this work in relation to a set of forum boards like fiso? Have we all given consent upon sign up, does anything change under GDPR?

What's the main aim of the GDPR, will I receive less spam email? What will I notice as different post May 2018?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Re: GDPR

Post by bspittles »

One of the main differences is the right to be forgotten. An organisation that stores data about you has to have the ability to remove all evidence of you - and for FISO I guess that would mean all posts disappearing and all PMs (sent from and sent to) being permanently deleted.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Mmmm is fiso(or any social media platform) in the same bracket?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Yes, anyone or any organisation that stores data about a living person, whether electronically or otherwise, has to follow GDPR.

(I've just completed a training session on the subject :-) )

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

I could foresee something like Facebook having to contact all its members and get them to consent to a revised set of t's & c's, or have their profile deleted.

The ridiculous example I was provided on a webinar the other day, was someone at a trade show receiving a business card off an exhibitor. They were saying in order to keep hold of that business card, the recipient would need to be able to prove that consent was granted and to then go on and use the email address on the card, they would have to prove they had consent for the specific purpose that the email was related to!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

bspittles wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 13:12 Yes, anyone or any organisation that stores data about a living person, whether electronically or otherwise, has to follow GDPR.

(I've just completed a training session on the subject :-) )
But how much information do we share on a forum like FISO?
Do we even have to provide real data?

Ergo... is the information relating to a 'living' person (or a 'persona')?

We provide an email address and a dob dont/didnt we?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

And an IP address!

All three of those are considered enough to identify a person.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”