To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Job interview questions

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
crispybits
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO Apprentice Champion 2011-2012, Xpert11 FBT winner season 7

Job interview questions

Post by crispybits »

Going for a job interview for an IT job at a school tomorrow. I've been coached by a couple of teacher friends in the kinds of questions I am likely to be asked and some of the types of answers they are looking for and how to deliver them. I'm now at the stage of doing a bit more thorough research about the school activites, history and values and coming up with those 2-3 questions for the end of the interview when they ask "would you like to ask us anything?"

These are the three that have made my shortlist so far, but if any of you lovely lot would like to offer any feedback on how to make them even better I'm all ears:

1) What qualities would your ideal candidate for this role have and are there any of these which I haven't yet covered and could demonstrate to you with further examples of my previous work?

(Tells me a bit about how to succeed if I get the job, and gives me a chance to address any shortcomings in my answers so far with some additional highly focused information)

2) What would you say is the best thing about working at <name of school>?

(Cliched, but gets the interviewer(s) engaged with talking about what they find rewarding and good things about having a job at this school so promotes happy vibes)

3) One thing I have enjoyed with my charity work is the ability to get involved with activities which directly support the kids we help. Would there be opportunities in the future to get involved with the wider school community in helping out at events or assisting students as a mentor for DofE or similar?

(Shows my willingness to go above and beyond the role I am hired for in helping the school achieve it's aims and reassures them I'm not going to be a 9-5 clockwatcher working to rule)

Anyone got any advice on tweaking these or their own great questions they use for this section of an interview?

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Re: Job interview questions

Post by Brightwater »

If not covered previously, you could ask about hardware, networks, software, security, who maintains, upgrade budget, plans and timetable.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

What did the previous job holder find the biggest challenge in this role, and how was he supported?

This should give you some idea whether the job is suitable for your skill level, and whether the school has processes in place to provide structured support. Although I'll bet the answer is still "He asked Google!"

eagle224
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Veteran

Post by eagle224 »

Ask about the examples of the previous post holders training. My biggest regret of taking my school IT post has been the lack of training for support staff meaning I have nothing to show my skills are up to date (certificate/course confirmation etc) which is proving a problem getting interviews back in the business sector who seem to like to see these on CV's based on recent feedback. Schools have to commit to teacher training (CPD) but apparently not to support staff and the reason seems to be because IT courses are longer (3 days min.) and much more expensive than teacher training that is only 1 day and usually includes funding and/or replacement staff cover costs. Support staff also seem to be the lowest priority for most things so seek some confirmation of what value they have for theirs (Office staff, Meal time assistants, IT staff, Caretakers etc).

Many teaching staff seem to be technophobes and know little to nothing about the software (and hardware) they have to use on a daily basis so a good selling point for yourself would be any ability to transfer your skills and IT understanding to improve efficiency of processing the copious amounts of admin work they have to do, usually Office or Presentation based.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Ask what your biggest challenge will be in the role.

You obviously then have to be able to be enthusiastic, positive and credible in your response to whatever they say but if you answer it the right way it'll make you look willing to deal with problems and also give you a bit of insight into what lies ahead.

(caveat is that I've not had a job interview in the last 20 years, so I wouldn't count myself as any sort of expert here :D )

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Ah - just seen bspittles' post.

seems like he beat me to it. Sorry - wasn't copying, honest guv.

(it's obviously a damn good question though, if two of us thought of it...)

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

I'd flip the biggest challenge on its side a bit and say I have a number of areas I would be excited about trying to make things better and I have some ideas....list a few examples to whet their appetite e.g. monitoring/tracking efficiencies, automating menial reports then ask them where they see their immediate challenge.

You could also ask them about their fantasy football policies, e.g. Extra time off for double game weeks. Best of luck,

crispybits
Dumbledore

Post by crispybits »

Thanks for the feedback all - went with my "get involved with school events" question plus a something pretty close to Wilbert's variation on the challenges question.

Heard back about an hour a go that I got the job too :)

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

crispybits wrote:
Heard back about an hour a go that I got the job too :)
Congrats! Did you tell them that you can cook the school dinners as well? :D

eagle224
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Veteran

Post by eagle224 »

Congratulations.

crispybits
Dumbledore

Post by crispybits »

Thank you thank you :)

No school dinners Vid, I might end up doing DofE camping trips though from what they said in answer to my question - god knows what I'm volunteering for there...

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Nice one :-)

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Well done, you obviously made an impression.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Now for the real challenge, how are you going to forge your own police report? :wink:

Congrats.

Ackee
Kevin and Perry

Post by Ackee »

I always had problems with the interview. I’m even a little glad that because of quarantine I can apply for university admission online. But now I need help with my statement of purpose for the university. Writing skills aren't one of my strengths. My friends believe that it would be a good idea if I go to a special service that can provide editing services for my text. They believe it will not only help me correct errors in the text (English isn't my native language), but they will also give tips on how to change sentences or paragraphs to make my statement of purpose more impressive. I hope that this will help me to enter this university anyway. I hope your interview will be successful too!
Last edited by Ackee on 30 May 2020, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Ackee wrote:I always had problems with the interview. I’m even a little glad that because of quarantine I can apply for university admission online. But now I need help with my statement of purpose for the university.
Most people go to Uni to have a good time but would lie and give some educational bollocks as an answer. If you can't go and have a social life then at least you no longer need to lie.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 29 May 2020, 19:35
Ackee wrote:I always had problems with the interview. I’m even a little glad that because of quarantine I can apply for university admission online. But now I need help with my statement of purpose for the university.
Most people go to Uni to have a good time but would lie and give some educational bollocks as an answer. If you can't go and have a social life then at least you no longer need to lie.
I believe things have changed since our day when "I when get lashed and have a laff" was the only answer - nowadays it needs some shite about relishing the opportunity to utilise your learning resources (library to our age group) is the way to go. :shock:

Jan135
Cheetah
FS Record: 33.5

Post by Jan135 »

When I was on an interview for my application developer front-end job, people were evaluating not only what was I saying, they were paying close attention to *how* I was saying. They wanted to see me being confident. I was told about this way after the interview.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”