To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Groupon Courses

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Groupon Courses

Post by Ashers »

Morning,

Has anyone on here done a Groupon online course?

I'm looking to broaden my CV and keep getting offers for various different courses and wanted to know people's thoughts.

I have been sent various emails such as

Online Excel Course
Online TEFL Course
Online Trading Diploma
Accredited Diploma in Digital Marketing
PRINCE2® Course Bundle

bspittles
Dumbledore

Re: Groupon Courses

Post by bspittles »

There are 600+ free courses at http://www.reed.co.uk/courses/free and I believe some of them are accredited :-)

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Any that you would recommend?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Sorry, I haven't taken any of them. They got good reviews on hotukdeals.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

I'd say generally that Business courses, IT skills, leadership and the customer service ones might be the most useful, but depends a lot on what sort of job you do / might want to do.

There's one on change management on there which I'd say would be useful in most workplaces and look good on a cv. If there were any project management ones I'd say they were probably useful to have on the cv as well.

Doubt whether free one's would be that good though tbh - probably just introductions to tease you into paid for courses, although probably worth trying one to see if it's something you might be interested in enough to take further. A broad cv will get you so far but don't do so many different things that it looks like you lack the focus to develop deeper skills. IMO of course, although I may not be the best person to comment as I've not had a cv since finishing university. I have seen a lot of other peoples though.

RichT is/has been in recruitment. Might be worth dropping him a PM for an opinion on what tends to get you past the gatekeepers.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

As Unc says most of the free courses are pretty basic but it also depends where you are at. The free Excel ones for instance focus on data entry, formatting etc rather than delve into formulas etc. but I have looked at a Groupon one on behalf of someone else and it looked ok but all depends on where you currently are and where you want to be. You need to look in detail at the courses offered and what the content is. An online excel course could be anything really

mike_d99
Grumpy Old Man
Location: cut down like a vegetable by your hard kickin mother who's an animal
FS Record: 269th TFF 08/09, 11th TFFO 08/09, 49th TFFE 08/09, 50th Elephant 10/11, 92nd Sky Sports 10/11

Post by mike_d99 »

I bought a package on Groupon for e-Careers a couple of years back. It was £99 for a year's access to 36 courses covering everything from MS Office products to web design and Java etc.

I used it to study for my Microsoft MOS exam in Excel and it was a massive help in aiding me passing the exam and starting down a new career path as a data analyst. The courses were very detailed and of a high quality. I also bought a second Excel training course through Excel with Business and that was decent enough, but not a patch on the e-Careers one. So it's all about the quality of the company providing the courses. Do a bit of research on the course provider before committing.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”