To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Teachers pay.

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Teachers pay.

Post by Spinynorman »

Mrs Spiny is just about to take up a dinner ladies job at a local special school with a view to becoming a teaching assistant just after Easter. She was left unclear after her interview regarding holiday pay so I e-mailed the school with a general question about teachers holiday pay and got this reply:

If you are a Teacher, then yes, you do get paid for holidays.

If you are support staff i.e. Teaching Assistant, Dinner Lady or Welfare Assistant you do not actually get paid for school holidays, but your pro rata pay is evenly spread over 12 months so you receive pay during the holidays. Support staff do not have to attend non-contact or inset days, unless of course they are going to be paid overtime to attend. Pro-Rata just means you only get paid for the time you are at work - i.e. 10 weeks school hols unpaid.

Hope this clears it up for you.

I never realised that this was the case.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: Teachers pay.

Post by Surprised »

Isn't that a contradiction?
Spinynorman wrote:but your pro rata pay is evenly spread over 12 months so you receive pay during the holidays
Spinynorman wrote:Pro-Rata just means you only get paid for the time you are at work - i.e. 10 weeks school hols unpaid.

So are they paid holidays or not?

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

No, but they get some of their pay during this non pay period as they don't get their full wages when they work, it is spread evenly.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Illegal not to have paid holidays?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Vid wrote:Illegal not to have paid holidays?
Indeed, and there has been the recent stuff about extra holiday pay for overtime worked.

X-Man
Dumbledore

Post by X-Man »

Vid wrote:Illegal not to have paid holidays?
But they do have paid holidays.

Typically support staff in schools are paid on 45/46 week contracts but the wages are paid monthly over the full 12 months. The contract includes paid holidays at a pro rata of the 12 month contract (eg 45/52 of the normal holiday entitlement). It's just that they aren't contracted to work the long school holidays.

Now I could be wrong but this is the normal explanation for the apparent anomaly...

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

So are teachers the only folks in a school who get paid full whack (no pun intended) for whole year?

X-Man
Dumbledore

Post by X-Man »

Spinynorman wrote:So are teachers the only folks in a school who get paid full whack (no pun intended) for whole year?
I'm not sure - but they will be on 52 week contracts. The difference is that they can be asked to do things over the long school holiday (in theory :wink:)

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

X-Man wrote:
Spinynorman wrote:So are teachers the only folks in a school who get paid full whack (no pun intended) for whole year?
I'm not sure - but they will be on 52 week contracts. The difference is that they can be asked to do things over the long school holiday (in theory :wink:)
Mrs Spiny has already been asked if she can be available after school and during holidays. I presume this would be paid as overtime. :?

X-Man
Dumbledore

Post by X-Man »

Spinynorman wrote:
X-Man wrote:
Mrs Spiny has already been asked if she can be available after school and during holidays. I presume this would be paid as overtime. :?
Depends what the contract says but I would have thought so. Just bear in mind that the holiday entitlement under a 45 week contract may be constrained by the need to take holiday out of term time and there may be some flexibility slotted in to cater for training days or other out of term activities. In other words if the normal 52 week entitlement is say 30 days then the pro rata holidays will be 26 days to be taken over Christmas, Easter and Half Term holidays (which may actually come to more than 26 days...which may mean that training days etc. would not be overtime.

You just need to read the contract carefully and talk to other people on the job to check custom and practice.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Many thanks for the thoughts and info. :)

It all seemed so much easier to work out when she was an RMN. Just what you get used to I suppose.

X-Man
Dumbledore

Post by X-Man »

Spinynorman wrote:It all seemed so much easier to work out when she was an RMN. Just what you get used to I suppose.
I don't think it will be quite as complicated as it sounds...it'll be fairly routine I would have thought because everyone will be in the same boat.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

X-Man wrote:
Spinynorman wrote:It all seemed so much easier to work out when she was an RMN. Just what you get used to I suppose.
I don't think it will be quite as complicated as it sounds...it'll be fairly routine I would have thought because everyone will be in the same boat.
Except for the qualified teaching staff?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Just sounds like most jobs I have ever had.
ie you get a job that pays 48k a year with 5 weeks holiday and each month you get 4k. The only time holiday is paid out is when you leave with holiday still left.

Bit of a scam to say we will only pay you 48/52ths of a full year but pay it over 52 weeks. An excuse to under pay staff?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

It's a bit of a shame really as Mrs Spiny has been nursing for nearly 40 years most of which has been as a qualified nurse and ward manger but she now has a few (not serious but age related) health problems and the job is just getting tougher. The team she works in is becoming community based with lone working in a dodgy area with lots of crime, poverty, drug use and violence. She has been at the wrong end of a couple of nasty assaults over the past year and just wants to get out.

Tiny Spiny has special needs so she really likes the idea of working with special needs kids so whilst it is a big financial hit it should improve things in other ways.

Fingers crossed. :)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Nursing is a tough job when age kicks in as it can be so physical.
You also wouldn't want her working in dodgy areas putting herself in danger especially with TinySpiny needing special needs. The financial hit is worth it if it puts your mind at ease

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Surprised wrote:Nursing is a tough job when age kicks in as it can be so physical.
You also wouldn't want her working in dodgy areas putting herself in danger especially with TinySpiny needing special needs. The financial hit is worth it if it puts your mind at ease
It is indeed. Cheers. :)

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Spinynorman wrote:It's a bit of a shame really as Mrs Spiny has been nursing for nearly 40 years most of which has been as a qualified nurse and ward manger but she now has a few (not serious but age related) health problems and the job is just getting tougher. The team she works in is becoming community based with lone working in a dodgy area with lots of crime, poverty, drug use and violence. She has been at the wrong end of a couple of nasty assaults over the past year and just wants to get out.

Tiny Spiny has special needs so she really likes the idea of working with special needs kids so whilst it is a big financial hit it should improve things in other ways.

Fingers crossed. :)
I hope it all works out well Spiny, seems the correct move even if it brings some financial strain.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Mrs Spiny has been told to be careful what she wears to school as her clothes could get ripped and she will get covered in lots of food so it could still be a bit spicy. Good job they will all be under 12. :)

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Spinynorman wrote:Mrs Spiny has been told to be careful what she wears to school as her clothes could get ripped and she will get covered in lots of food so it could still be a bit spicy. Good job they will all be under 12. :)
I don't think it will be be that spicy. With children, especially under 12s, the food will be relatively bland.

thelip
FISO Jedi Braveheart
FS Record: Variable

Post by thelip »

Surprised wrote:Just sounds like most jobs I have ever had.
ie you get a job that pays 48k a year with 5 weeks holiday and each month you get 4k. The only time holiday is paid out is when you leave with holiday still left.

Bit of a scam to say we will only pay you 48/52ths of a full year but pay it over 52 weeks. An excuse to under pay staff?
Where do you get one of them?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

thelip wrote:

:lol:
I was looking for a number that divided by 12 easily

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Surprised wrote:
thelip wrote:

:lol:
I was looking for a number that divided by 12 easily
I like it. :mrgreen:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”