To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Giving notice

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
tedbull
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 82nd 08/09

Re: Giving notice

Post by tedbull »

Similar timing to me Unc. I'm only moving internally but I have the added complication of a 1700 mile relocation to factor in.

Couldn't really have asked for more support than I'm getting from my client and my company. I guess it helps to keep those bridges nice and solid.

I might even go platinum by the time this is all finished. :lol:

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Probably just a bit too far to commute I guess Ted.

Where you off to? Perth?

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

unc.si. wrote:
WilBert wrote:Litmus test - will you miss the people more than the job?
Some, but not enough.

I'll miss the job as well, but again, not enough. Mixed emotions. Really excited about the new job, but going to be hard to leave certain people and clients behind.
The staff are generally sound wherever you. It's the bosses above you that make all the difference. It's all about getting to know them and working around them. I think the buzz phrase is "managing upwards". Some are just a pain in the arse though.

Good lukc Unc - sounds like you've made the right move 8-) . If you hadn't, you would be constantly thinking "what if I'd taken that job..."

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Spot on Blue - If I'd not gone for it I think I would always have regretted it.

I know the Board pretty well and get on with them so risk of not fitting in is pretty low. Exciting times :D

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Only just seen this Unc, I'll keep from. Mrs Tree for now :lol:

May be in the same boat as some as have my first consultation on Monday after we were taken over last September.

Not a good time for those from my old side of the business...like you Unc, all rather confidential at the moment :wink:

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

My 45 day countdown starts today.....

Had an unsoilicited approach from a Jo Robbins via email but suspect it's not a great opportunity...probably pyramid selling

http://www.jmrobbins.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Sorry to hear that TT. hope you get something sorted soon

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

bluenosey wrote:
unc.si. wrote:
WilBert wrote:Litmus test - will you miss the people more than the job?
Some, but not enough.

I'll miss the job as well, but again, not enough. Mixed emotions. Really excited about the new job, but going to be hard to leave certain people and clients behind.
The staff are generally sound wherever you. It's the bosses above you that make all the difference. It's all about getting to know them and working around them. I think the buzz phrase is "managing upwards". Some are just a pain in the arse though.

Good lukc Unc - sounds like you've made the right move 8-) . If you hadn't, you would be constantly thinking "what if I'd taken that job..."

Moving jobs is always a bit nerve wracking.
In my last job my immediate boss was the CEO and he got all his management techniques from management books and courses with absolutely no idea how to manage people. Sitting in the weekly senior management team meetings was useless as he just refused to take any decisions in case they were the wrong ones.
In the end we had to just decide things ourselves and ignore him. We tried telling him that if you get it wrong then so be it as it will be the SMT that gets it wrong not just him but it fell on deaf ears.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Achiles74 wrote:have you considered as a option once you leave retraining as a bus driver? I have a friend who drives one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Tricky Tree wrote:My 45 day countdown starts today.....

Had an unsoilicited approach from a Jo Robbins via email but suspect it's not a great opportunity...probably pyramid selling

http://www.jmrobbins.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ps no problem with telling Mrs T about me leaving. All agreed now bar the HR formalities. Leave at the end of April. e-mail should be going out over the next few days telling everyone that I'm leaving so most people will know soon. Probably best for her not to talk about it too much until the e-mails have gone out though.

tedbull
Dumbledore

Post by tedbull »

unc.si. wrote:Probably just a bit too far to commute I guess Ted.

Where you off to? Perth?
The other way, back to Melbourne after 3 years in Perth. Rough times in construction so being given a few months to travel back and forth is very handy. I suspect if I had just landed back in Melbourne with no transition I'd be made redundant (seems to be the standard response to those who got off their arses and helped the business grow elsewhere).

There's always the option to take an operations role but, with 10 years of service, I think I'd rather redundancy.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Thought you were in Melbourne Ted. Must have missed the move to Perth.

You'll be able to stop of at Adelaide and pop in to see Schlocky in the Mars Bar while you're travelling back and forth.

tedbull
Dumbledore

Post by tedbull »

It's on my things to do list... I think I get more FF status credits if I stop off too. :)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

tedbull wrote:It's on my things to do list... I think I get more FF status credits if I stop off too. :)
:D say hello from me

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

All official now. Managed to negotiate the notice period down so I leave on 30 April (not actually got round to handing notice in yet, but will see HR sometime in March and sort the admin stuff out).

All public now so being bombarded with e-mails. A bit odd leaving after 13 years (even odder is the fact that I'm already starting to do some work for the new company even though I'm still employed by the old one).

Suspect FISO may be a bit curtailed after April.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

How are things shaping up unc/Ted

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

mad dog wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:have you considered as a option once you leave retraining as a bus driver? I have a friend who drives one
Where on earth did you find that photo of me Maddog? :shock:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Did a bit of work for my new employer last week WilBert cheers. Nice place to work. Has a good buzz about it and plenty of projects to get stuck into. The office dog likes me as well (as in 4 legged puppy, not some rough old bird in accounts).

Have got a formal offer letter now so can sign up officially (and I know what my job title is now, which seems important judging by the amount of people that keep asking me).

Back at my current employer next week, so will go and see HR to find out what they need me to do re formally giving notice/ resigning. Not sure whether anyone's told HR I'm leaving yet.

9 weeks and counting. Can't wait to get out now tbh. Bit pissed off that they've made me 'work' til the end of April though.

Thanks for asking.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

We expect an update about the Landie future too :wink:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

WilBert wrote:We expect an update about the Landie future too :wink:
Just can't bring myself to sell it.

Going to see how it goes. Will cost me more in fuel than a new car would, but it's not depreciating anywhere near as much, so swings and roundabouts.

If I'm at overseas sites I'll not be driving it and if I'm in the Scotland or Southern sites I'll be getting paid mileage. If I'm report writing I can do that at home, so it's not like I'm just hammering 50 miles up and down the motorway every day.

Might try a trial separation in the summer if things aren't working but I'm hopeful we can work things out.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

First day at new job today :D

Feels great to actually have started properly. Even found someone to car share with so happy days :-)

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Timed that well didn't you, bank holiday coming up - 2 short weeks, start as you mean to go on? :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”