To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Giving notice

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Giving notice

Post by Groomyd »

stevejtr wrote:
Lets be honest. The reason they go into HR is because otherwise they'd be totally unemployable and therefore costing the country a fortune
Earning a lot of money for being "unemployable"

Let's be honest :idea:

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer
FS Record: I always liked the old Tele FA Cup competition...

Post by stevejtr »

yes, That's the problem

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Get yourself a degree and a post graduate CIPD and you too could do it

HR is important - that's why big successful blue chip organisations pay them accordingly

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

In an ideal world yes, but too many businesses use HR as a tool to beat staff down. I've seen too many good HR people squeezed out for not being commercial.

Speak concisely in your notice letter. If they want the benefit of your opinion as to why you're leaving then speak freely. If they don't it's their loss.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Of course HR's important. Employment law is a nightmare and you need suitably qualified people to guide you through it.

We used to call them the overheads though :D . Probably a bit harsh, although they were just about the least qualified people in the firm. Still necessary though. Someone's got to draft the compromise agreements when you want to get rid of someone.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Vid. You in Cornwall or have I got that wrong? What sort of driving do you do? Know a haulage firm down there that does local runs and trunk routes for one of the pallet networks. Know the FD so can ask if they're hiring if you like. Think I 'know' you enough to say that you're an honest guy.

tedbull
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 82nd 08/09

Post by tedbull »

Well its either HR or become an Estate Agent. HR's probably better hours.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

unc.si. wrote:Vid. You in Cornwall or have I got that wrong? What sort of driving do you do? Know a haulage firm down there that does local runs and trunk routes for one of the pallet networks. Know the FD so can ask if they're hiring if you like. Think I 'know' you enough to say that you're an honest guy.
No, left Cornwall nearly 10 years ago, living in Hampshire now, but thanks for the thought :)

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

I can't offer anything constructive Vid, but it isn't a nice time of year to be making these decisions so I wish you all the best. My last letter of notice was 16 years ago and I can't remember anything about the content. Good luck with it.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

unc.si. wrote:Of course HR's important. Employment law is a nightmare and you need suitably qualified people to guide you through it.

We used to call them the overheads though :D . Probably a bit harsh, although they were just about the least qualified people in the firm. Still necessary though. Someone's got to draft the compromise agreements when you want to get rid of someone.
HR are there for the strategic OD too - in a good organisation they are there to ensure there is a motivated and appropriately skilled workforce in the right numbers and in the right places to give the organisation a competitive advantage.

Employment law is just one (small) part of what they do

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Groomyd wrote:
unc.si. wrote:Of course HR's important. Employment law is a nightmare and you need suitably qualified people to guide you through it.

HR are there for the strategic OD too - in a good organisation they are there to ensure there is a motivated and appropriately skilled workforce in the right numbers and in the right places to give the organisation a competitive advantage.

Margaret, our HR department, is a nice lady but I'm quite sure the title has nothing to do with the generally understood role of HR, we go to see her if we change address for her to file it or if we need a new electric fob to open the gate, that sort of thing :-)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

tedbull wrote:Well its either HR or become an Estate Agent. HR's probably better hours.
But not as well paid as the legal "profession" :wink:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Groomyd wrote:

Sounds like HR speak to me :wink:

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

Keep any letter short. Salient points only. They don't really need to know why you're leaving. Never burn bridges.

If they're that poor then anyone with half a brain (thus bringing into play at least a likely handful of HR folk with a bit of luck...) will already know. The attrition rate and absence stats should already be known and being benchmarked.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Mystery wrote:In an ideal world yes, but too many businesses use HR as a tool to beat staff down. I've seen too many good HR people squeezed out for not being commercial.

Speak concisely in your notice letter. If they want the benefit of your opinion as to why you're leaving then speak freely. If they don't it's their loss.
Even worse is when the boss is head of HR and the rest of HR are just sycophants towing the line :x

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

stevejtr wrote:Keep any letter short. Salient points only. They don't really need to know why you're leaving. Never burn bridges.

If they're that poor then anyone with half a brain (thus bringing into play at least a likely handful of HR folk with a bit of luck...) will already know. The attrition rate and absence stats should already be known and being benchmarked.
Yes, just that. You never know which colleagues you will stumble across in future and in what way. Accounatncy, for instance, is quite incestuous *

*Perhaps not the best word ( :lol: ) but everyone seems to know everybody else.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Well, that didn't go as expected.

None of the 6 front line managers are there today, probably due to no deliveries over the next 2 days so the main part of their role isn't there to do. Instead their managers are covering them today, so after a 20 minute or so chat it's been agreed that they'll have a discussion with their boss (the Depot Manager) to see if they can find a workable solution for me. I've said fine, I'll give it a go and if after a couple of months I still can't cope I'll go then. If they can't come up with something that I consider worth a try then the notice stands.

Thanks for all the advice and comments. FISO as always the best place to seek opinions on both things that matter and those that don't :-)

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

Vid wrote:Well, that didn't go as expected.

None of the 6 front line managers are there today, probably due to no deliveries over the next 2 days so the main part of their role isn't there to do. Instead their managers are covering them today, so after a 20 minute or so chat it's been agreed that they'll have a discussion with their boss (the Depot Manager) to see if they can find a workable solution for me. I've said fine, I'll give it a go and if after a couple of months I still can't cope I'll go then. If they can't come up with something that I consider worth a try then the notice stands.

Thanks for all the advice and comments. FISO as always the best place to seek opinions on both things that matter and those that don't :-)
that sounds good to me and a positive...if things dont change then you know the decision to be made....as said above and i tried to imply I would never burn bridges because you never know who knows who etc.....

have a fab christmas vid and hope your house survived the weather down here

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Bunners wrote:
that sounds good to me and a positive...if things dont change then you know the decision to be made....as said above and i tried to imply I would never burn bridges because you never know who knows who etc.....

Cheers, we're nicely sheltered where we are, bet the wind really whips around where you are though.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

Vid wrote:
Bunners wrote:

Cheers, we're nicely sheltered where we are, bet the wind really whips around where you are though.
good good....yep the house behind has had its outer skin of bricks torn from the side of the house...all very scary....and we have some water in the 3rd bedroom though no obvious entry point for that water...yet

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Excellent Vid, nice to know you're wanted, personally and reference wise :)

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

bluenosey wrote:Yes, just that. You never know which colleagues you will stumble across in future and in what way. Accounatncy, for instance, is quite incestuous *

*Perhaps not the best word ( :lol: ) but everyone seems to know everybody else.
Logistics generally is hugely incestuous. Accountancy also. I wouldn't be in my currently role without it...

Sounds positive Vid.

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

A month on, any update?

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Following the chat when I handed the notice in nothing was said for a couple of weeks, so thought that was that from them, didn't get particularly far in looking for a new job beyond contacting my old agency who said to drop in for a chat and they'd do what they could for me.

Then I did get called into an office to talk with one of the senior managers, "don't want to lose you" "things are changing soon" "yes, you are getting more than your fair share of the shit" "give us a month and see how you feel then", although very tempted to give a straight "no, I'm leaving" I said that I'd go home and talk it over with the wife first.

No great surprise that Xmas had been a big financial hit,we have no debt beyond the mortgage and intend to keep it that way and our reserves are pretty low right now. Agency work can be a bit hit and miss until you've established yourself with several firms that regularly need drivers, a good way into a permanent position as you can try each other out for a while and both sides know exactly what they're getting, but nothing is guaranteed. So taking on board her fear that I wouldn't be bringing home the required income over the next couple of months (not the ideal time of year for agency work) I retracted my notice.

I also had quite a long chat with one of the better FLMs a couple of days later, my own personal working conditions have improved in the short term as a result of all of this, getting some of the easier stuff mixed in now, we'll see how long that lasts. There is now breathing space to look properly for something else and have options. We're moving location in the next 4-6 months, a few rumours as to where but nothing decided to my knowledge, if it's far enough away then there's the possibility of redundancy, something that quite a few have said they're waiting on. Even a couple of months pay sat in the bank account would be an acceptable cushion with nothing lined up to go to.

crispybits
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO Apprentice Champion 2011-2012, Xpert11 FBT winner season 7

Post by crispybits »

If there's any companies nearby to your house that would be ideal for your work there's no harm in putting a cold application letter/CV together and sending it out to them to see if they are thinking of hiring. It doesn't take too much effort and hardly any cost and while it's the least probable method per attempt at getting something sometimes good things can still come of it. Plus it's something you can do outside of working hours and to your own schedule. The worst that can happen is they ignore you...

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Sounds like a decent result in the short term. As you say, at least it gives you some time and you've put a mark in the sand about how you feel.

Trying to change jobs myself at the moment (Tricky, close your ears). Having all sorts of trouble negotiating my way out though at the moment. Was hoping to go on good terms, but we're at a bit of a stalemate at the moment, so hoping they back down before things have to get more difficult.

Will hopefully get through it soon though.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Excellent thread. It never surprises me how undervalued most workers are.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Think today I've finally managed to negotiate a shortened notice period so by May I should be in a new job. Big change (and massive challenge), but really feel like a weight's been lifted off my shoulders. Don't think I really realised just how stressful the last few weeks have been. Have had to negotiate an exit from my current job without anything in writing from the new place. Could have gone seriously tits up.

Odd feeling really. Been at my current job for 13 years. Actually enjoy working there, but going to a really interesting Company with great people. Just couldn't turn it down in the end. Going to be a strange couple of months coming up.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Litmus test - will you miss the people more than the job?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

WilBert wrote:Litmus test - will you miss the people more than the job?
Some, but not enough.

I'll miss the job as well, but again, not enough. Mixed emotions. Really excited about the new job, but going to be hard to leave certain people and clients behind.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”