To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

A New Beginning

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer
FS Record: I always liked the old Tele FA Cup competition...

A New Beginning

Post by stevejtr »

Was made redundant today. Odd sensation. First time I've been out of work since I joined the world of work in 1986.

Wasn't entirely unexpected, but still feels odd all the same.

Thought I might set up as an independent consultant, not sure yet. Have a few irons in the fire but nothing certain.

Will probably take a week or two to assess things and do some of the painting MrsJtr wants done first :lol:

Apologies to all involved in clan games with me. It's been an interesting month or so.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Re: A New Beginning

Post by Richt »

Sorry to read your news Steve. Hope you find something soon :)

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

Cheers Rich. 15.5 years all told. 13.5 before and 2 after the takeover.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Sorry to hear that Steve :(

Happened to me last year, after a run of 22 years full employment since sixth form.

As with yourself, it wasn't entirely unexpected.

Take stock of the situation, have a good old think and see what you want out of life.

I'm now on less money but have a great work/lifestyle balance. No logging on of a weekend, no getting all the management crap, all the long hours, unpaid overtime etc. You'll be amazed what positives come to the fore.

I'm sure you will find something soon 8-)

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Sorry to hear Steve, hope the package was good :wink:

Title of the thread says it all though. It is a new beginging and your life is yours to decide on the next path. Enjoy the hiatus and the very best of luck in the next chapter.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Sorry to hear that as well.

Happened to me two years ago and have not looked back since.

What do you consultant in?

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

Share the same sentiments as others, it definitely is a great opportunity for a fresh outlook on working. Good luck with everything and from personal experience, if you can afford it, take 6-8 weeks off. It is a great chance to recharge the batteries and I guess you've probably not had that length of time off since school

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

ERP software, and business change really. Implemented a whole bunch of stuff from SAP, JDE, CODA to designing internal systems and selecting packages for Reporting, Contracts, AP automation etc.

I'm an accountant (ACMA) really but left the pure faith 20 odd years ago when someone realised that when I was on a team to implement software, it went in on time (and worked!)

plenty of work out there by all accounts but i've always been an employee rather than a contractor (probably oddly given what I do)

I am viewing it as a new start. Just will seem very strange come monday morning

Last time I had 6 weeks off was when I had my shoulder pinned. Last had a day off sick in 2000 - chickenpox!

Jagduracell
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd TFF World Cup 2014, 8th in TFF Fantasy Lions and a few TFF and TFC weekly wins

Post by Jagduracell »

Sorry to hear the news Steve, however based on the title of your thread you obviously have a positive outlook so I have no doubt you will be snapped up. If you want help to try and find something just drop me a PM as I work in recruitment primarily in the finance IT domain.

Good luck for the future.

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

A quick update on my employability.

I verbally agreed a 6 month starter contract at a Liverpool based company this evening (FD is an old colleague so knows what I can add). Decent day rate plus expenses. Possibility of extension depending on how things go. Lots of project work going on and most of it I've delivered before :) so things look very promising

I now need to buy a car! Never had to do that before... Vodafone took 9 days to move my old number and credit across to my new phone (another first for me) so all I need to do now is sort out an Umbrella company in the short term before setting up my own Co longer term. I have a name in mind and it isn't on the Companies house site and the domain is still available too. I can do the accounts myself but will prob outsource the payroll bit as its a ball ache. Need to refresh my memory on IR35 I think...

I start on 7th June

Thanks to all for the supportive comments and actions.

Steve

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Nice1 Steve, can't keep a good man down :D

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

In a years time I hope you're looking back and thinking "why didn't I do this years ago"

Sounds like you have that crucial foot in the door - do a great job and you may find you have more work than you can deal with - you'd be amazed at how many contractors are shoddy and whose customer service is poor - even though their work depends on these things

Be a great person to have around, of course deliver on your contracts and above all keep the people who pay you aware of the value you are adding to their business

Good luck

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Sounds like you've done ok, nice one. Most important, have fully documented what they want delivering. A common issue is the scope not being properly documented allowing for differences in how each party thinks they have done.

Good luck

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Tricky Tree wrote:Sounds like you've done ok, nice one. Most important, have fully documented what they want delivering. A common issue is the scope not being properly documented allowing for differences in how each party thinks they have done.

Good luck
I'd agree with that - what is in scope and what is out of scope is crucial at the start as well as throughout

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

it's a scope that is broad enough to give possibility but I understand the initial requirement. I'm comfy with it and have inserted a review at halfway to ensure both sides are happy. Get the feeling there's a lot of possibilities going forward. decent sized group (1.2bn t/o) so options will hopefully appear

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

That does worry me a tad as its gives the goalposts a chance to move outside the scope you are working to. Obviously unaware of details but dealt with a fair few contractor projects and always feel it needs set in stone or an end goal is never properly tied down

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

initial project is scoped, and my role in it is understood. I do anticipate a job description when I start

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Good man. :)

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

Start tomorrow (Manchester) then a project meeting on Friday in Staffs.

Picked my car up today. First car I've ever bought. Seat Leon 1.6 COPA with all the toys :D . Nice car, got a decent price too and those nice insurance people gave me full no claims on my Co Car years of incident free driving :shock: .

Plumbed the postcodes into the cars satnav tonite and dropped the SD card in with my music on.

Sent my P45 (kept the top part) to the umbrella company today too so I think i'm all prepared for my first day at school...

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

good luck...dont forgetto iron the shirt :wink:

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

oh shit... :lol:

even got the suit and tie ready

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”