To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

TV wall mount

A forum for general discussion on Do It Yourself (DIY) subjects and topics
Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

TV wall mount

Post by Vid »

I'm not a great advocate of DIY, I greatly prefer getting someone else to do it but will do the odd job if/when pushed enough.

The wife's daughter wants her TV on a wall mount, I was against it but have been over-ruled (as usual) and after a few weeks of it being shifted around the house I agree to do it today. Read the instructions, got my drill out and the nearest to 5/16" masonry drill, exhausted 2 batteries drilling the holes and then tried the wall plugs, which don't fit :roll: maybe I should have checked first but I now discover that the drill bit actually fits inside the wall plug making it rather obvious that the hole is smaller than the plug. Now on the side of the plug I see "10x50", another give away that the holes aren't big enough for the plugs.

So do I re-drill the holes with the wider bit or use 8mm plugs that fit the drilled holes?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: TV wall mount

Post by blahblah »

Will the screws fit the narrow hole?

The easiest is to widen the hole with the bigger drill bit, as long as you do not make the hole too big :wink:

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Just looked at a 8mm plug, no good for the screws at all. It has to be a 10mm hole and as that's the biggest bit I've got I shouldn't be able to make the hole too big. I am concerned that the bloody great TV is going to rip off the wall sooner or later, but as it's not my TV ..... :lol:

Just need the batteries recharged :-)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

If she is old enough to have a TV on the wall she is old enough to do it herself? (Equal rights is a wonderfully double edged sword :wink: )

1cm is a big hole. Are they proper walls ie brick?

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

blahblah wrote:If she is old enough to have a TV on the wall she is old enough to do it herself? (Equal rights is a wonderfully double edged sword :wink: )

1cm is a big hole. Are they proper walls ie brick?
Yep, proper brick, holes now enlarged and tv mount fixed in place, put a bit of strain on it opened out and it's holding okay.

Old enough, yes, but to trust with my drill and my walls? Never :-)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

You could supervise, and consider it a Life Lesson for her :wink:

Alchemist
Grumpy Old Chemist
Location: Finally in the promised land - Premiership Champions 2014 - Come on you Saints!!!!!
FS Record: Snoopy vs The Red Baron

Post by Alchemist »

Would'nt trust screws and raw plugs for a tv, would go for self expanding masonary bolts

Stick
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Completely private

Post by Stick »

ive used a 10cm screw and plugs to hold a 42 inch telly to the wall, i could have hung off the bracket without it moving it was that solid...

...wish id put it up straight though damn it

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Alchemist wrote:Would'nt trust screws and raw plugs for a tv, would go for self expanding masonary bolts

Snap. Even used them for a big mirror, didn't want to risk 7 years on a dodgy rawplug. For my telly I got a bloke in, two actually, was quite scary watching them lift and hang it (48" I think) wouln't have wanted to do it myself.

(fitting was included in a very good package deal I got for telly and mount or I'd probably have tried myself)

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

It's up, definitely seems solid enough, time will tell and I repeat, it's not MY tv :-)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “DIY”