To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Double patio doors. I can't decide.

A forum for general discussion on Do It Yourself (DIY) subjects and topics
Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Double patio doors. I can't decide.

Post by Spinynorman »

For those of you that have them do you have them opening in or out? I have to decide over the next couple of weeks and to be honest it's a struggle. Mrs Spiny has left the decision to me so what are the pros and cons?

Ave a banana
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Double patio doors. I can't decide.

Post by Ave a banana »

Well mine open out.

I'm worried now I might be missing something by not having the 'open in' ones.

spoogehead
Grumpy Old Man

Post by spoogehead »

Mine open out as well - as for pros and cons, I would have thought it all depended on how the doors impede in each direction, ie do they bash against any walls or block anything off? If nothing either way, then IMO out is best

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

Mine open out
Not sure what the point of opening in is?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

The quotes are due in today for our new kitchen extension and the patio doors will be opening out. It didn't occur to me to do anything else to be honest

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Never seen any that open in :shock: maybe the house you saw them in had them fitted by a numpty

Go for open out mate 8-)

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Out as well.

However you must make sue that when you open them out and want to sit in the garden that they open reasonably flat to the outside wall (they will stick out a bit) to enable you to sit just outside on decking or patio. Which is nice in the summer.

If they open inwards then you have to shift furniture about to get them fully opn like that.

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

Groomyd wrote:Out as well.

However you must make sue that when you open them out and want to sit in the garden that they open reasonably flat to the outside wall (they will stick out a bit) to enable you to sit just outside on decking or patio. .
Or have a garden more than 2 square feet :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Open out, so the snow does not force them open?

What about sliders? More space efficient.

lurker
Red & Blue Braces

Post by lurker »

you might have them open inwards if you had a few steps outside the back door

why not make this a pole?

in?
out?
shakeitallabout?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

lurker wrote:you might have them open inwards if you had a few steps outside the back door

why not make this a pole?

in?
out?
slideitallabout?

corrected :wink:

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

The doors that we have which have never worked since being fitted by a firm that went bust open inwards. I have therefore arranged the garden and patio to cater for this. The doubt was put in my mind by the people who are going to fit our new ones who thought it was odd that our old doors open inwards. There is a large step downwards into our garden but I'm tempted by the idea of opening outwards just because we can. :)

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Is there any correlation to the fact that this firm fitted a load of patio doors in the wrong way round and them now not being a firm anymore :?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Mad Dog wrote:Is there any correlation to the fact that this firm fitted a load of patio doors in the wrong way round and them now not being a firm anymore :?

Inside out sounds like a more accurate description :lol:

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Mad Dog wrote:
Is there any correlation to the fact that this firm fitted a load of patio doors in the wrong way round and them now not being a firm anymore :?

It could have been something to do with the patio doors also being our only back door.

Our front door opens inwards so perhaps they did it to match. :)

shogun
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Unbeaten

Post by shogun »

Go for french or vanesian doors, those that slide but fold up as you slide them

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Post by Finsimbo »

This is something I have thought about, not the patio but in genral the way doors open.

Here in Finland the frontdoor opens outwards and I assumed that was to do with it being a fire hazard, easier to push the door open rather than to pull it open. But tha back door opens inwards. Also probably safer when you have the chain on if you have opened the door outwards you cant really kick the door open you just kick it shut. If you open it inwards its easier to kick it open

In the uk as far as I can remember all front doors open inwards and backdoors open inwards, It seems only patio doors open outwards.

Anyone know the reasoning behind this?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Finsimbo wrote:This is something I have thought about, not the patio but in genral the way doors open.

Here in Finland the frontdoor opens outwards and I assumed that was to do with it being a fire hazard, easier to push the door open rather than to pull it open. But tha back door opens inwards. Also probably safer when you have the chain on if you have opened the door outwards you cant really kick the door open you just kick it shut. If you open it inwards its easier to kick it open

In the uk as far as I can remember all front doors open inwards and backdoors open inwards, It seems only patio doors open outwards.

In Russia they open outwards because of the snow, although some though it was Nuclear-bomb related. Not sure why Finland back doors open inwards.

Here (UK) we have front doors, which open onto streets, if they opened outwards people walking down the street could get a whack from an opening door :lol:

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

blahblah wrote:
Finsimbo wrote:This is something I have thought about, not the patio but in genral the way doors open.

In Russia they open outwards because of the snow, although some though it was Nuclear-bomb related. Not sure why Finland back doors open inwards.

Here (UK) we have front doors, which open onto streets, if they opened outwards people walking down the street could get a whack from an opening door :lol:

Ehh

Uk front doors open inwards, here they open outwards.

What are you saying here
we have front doors, which open onto streets, if they opened outwards people walking down the street could get a whack
Same thing shirley :wink:

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

kizkiz wrote: Or have a garden more than 2 square feet :lol:
Where i live that would involve another half a million quid :wink:

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Finsimbo »

Groomyd wrote:
kizkiz wrote: Or have a garden more than 2 square feet :lol:
Where i live that would involve another half a million quid :wink:

Ive got a porsche heheh....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Finsimbo wrote:
blahblah wrote:

Ehh

Uk front doors open inwards, here they open outwards.

What are you saying here
we have front doors, which open onto streets, if they opened outwards people walking down the street could get a whack
Same thing shirley :wink:

Here front doors open inwards :oops:

The snow thing is what I as told and believed. I would think that Finnish open outwards too, for the same reason (the snow could force its way through an inward opening door)

muzzinho
Grumpy Old Man

Post by muzzinho »

It's a great thread. :D

The Oracle's of course open out, which is all you need to know. 8-)

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

muzzinho wrote:
The Oracle's of course open out, which is all you need to know. 8-)
Except for the reason why. :?:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “DIY”