To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Installing central heating

A forum for general discussion on Do It Yourself (DIY) subjects and topics
gazwood
Dumbledore

Installing central heating

Post by gazwood »

Right,

I'm, not ashamed to say that when it comes to DIY I haven't got a clue. Especially when it comes to something as drastic as installing your own central heating :shock:

But yes, this is the dauntng task I face in a few weeks time. Now i'm not facing up to this all by my wee self. I do have a few helping hands coming my way, but it would be nice to have a heads up and the difficulties I face, and an idea of what time scale i'm looking at.

Any recommendations on starter kits etc and the best places to get them?

So guys, if you've done it before, any hints, tips, advice for a complete novice? :oops:

Madchester
FISO Michael Knighton
FS Record: Impressive

Post by Madchester »

these helping hands that are coming your way... you'd better check they are corgi registered.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

You won't be able to sell your house or rent it of course after you've done it. That could be a problem!

Unless, as Mad says, they know what they are doing with gas!!!!!! :shock:

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

Madchester wrote:these helping hands that are coming your way... you'd better check they are corgi registered.
Isn't that just for fitting the boiler? The pipework we can do ourselves I believe?

Madchester
FISO Michael Knighton

Post by Madchester »

seriouslly... don't mess about - do it properlly. all those pipes still connect to that boiler that you'll have to know something about it in order to get the system functioning correctly and above all... safely.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

You can get 8 radiators fitted for about 1.5k these days

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

The people who will be 'assisiting me' have actually done it before on another house which they renovated. But obviously, if the cost doesn't vary too much between the two then I understand it would be sensible to have it done professionally.

It's just a case of weighing up the options at the moment.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Water : gamble if you need to.

Gas: No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!!

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

Groomyd wrote:You can get 8 radiators fitted for about 1.5k these days
That's all equipment and all fitted ready to go?

I seem to be getting quotes of around 2.5k :?

Madchester
FISO Michael Knighton

Post by Madchester »

Do Not DIY With Gas

Although there are many DIY tasks you can safely perform at home, unless you are a trained professional, working with gas appliances is not one of them. CORGI’s Spring Campaign is focused on letting DIY dynamos know the dangers of DIY’ing with gas.

According to statistics released by safety organisation the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), over 200,000 people are injured whilst undertaking some form of DIY project in their home each year. With figures like this it’s not surprising that a new craze is on the increase; GSI or “Get Someone In”.

However, if you would still like to have a go at tackling those DIY projects around your home, or your previous DIY attempts would make great material for the BBC’s ‘DIY – SOS’ programme, then why not download our DIY podcast? A podcast can be downloaded for you to keep on your computer or can be stored on a portable MP3 player, so you can listen to it later.

With tips from Channel 4’s DIY guru Tony Lush, and supported by the UK’s gas safety watchdog – CORGI, this podcast is designed to give you some useful tips on planning your project, keeping yourself safe and if you feel you are out of your depth… GSI – Getting Someone In.

Download CORGI’s DIY podcast here.

http://www.trustcorgi.com/consumer/donotdiywith.htmx

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

We understand that we can't fit the gas pipes in. That wasn't our plan Mad, it was just to set up the heating pipes, fit the radiators, and complete the controls systems. Leaving a CORGI registered contractor to connect the gas supply and safety check the installation.

Madchester
FISO Michael Knighton

Post by Madchester »

it's certainly a good skill to learn/have. i'm lucky in that both of my neighbours are dab hands at this kind of thing (a joiner and an ex-heating and plumbing engineer).

best of luck to you. here's a website that's got some useful info on all manner of diy related topics, including plumbing (useful forum as well):-

http://www.diynot.com/

b&q also have guides on installation:-

http://tinyurl.com/2cfykt

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

Thanks for that Mad. Certaintly gives me some info to mull over for a week or two.

Papa Giddy
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd TFFO 07-08; 5th TFFO 06-07, Top scoring Eggcupper 07-08

Post by Papa Giddy »

gah - do it yourself... a bit of scalding hot water and gas never hurt anyone. :wink: :shock:

If it were me I'd get someone in - especially if you are having to cut up floorboards, or the pipes would need to go over/around an RSJ. But if you do it yourself take your time, and good luck (and of course leave the gas well alone).

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

Anyone know of any cheap(ish) companies out there?

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Do it yourself mate!
Did you know, gas is the most common
state of matter in the known universe?
Just another reason to LOVE gas.

Gas isn't dangerous, it's fun.

http://www.limbicmedia.com/gasbangwallop/

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Post by el_pappje »

sted wrote:Do it yourself mate!

Bear in mind that a lot of people on FISO don't know that Sted's tadger was tragically chopped in half by an unfortunate gas explosion. He really is very poorly endowed now. Seriously.

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

el_pappje wrote:
sted wrote:Do it yourself mate!

Bear in mind that a lot of people on FISO don't know that Sted's tadger was tragically chopped in half by an unfortunate gas explosion. He really is very poorly endowed now. Seriously.
Still bigger than Madchester's though........and a LOT hotter! :wink:

Madchester
FISO Michael Knighton

Post by Madchester »

sted wrote:
Still bigger than Madchester's though........and a LOT hotter! :wink:
yeah right

:wink:

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

I'm quite happy to arse around with electricity but I don't trust myself with water / pipe works, me personally? I'd get it done professionally.

Flyman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO FPL Knockout Cup Winner 08; 5th Overall Sky Sports Euro 12

Post by Flyman »

gazwood wrote:We understand that we can't fit the gas pipes in. That wasn't our plan Mad, it was just to set up the heating pipes, fit the radiators, and complete the controls systems. Leaving a CORGI registered contractor to connect the gas supply and safety check the installation.
I don't think this is an impossible aim. Of course you'll get a Corgi registered guy in to complete and commission the boiler, but there's no reason why you shouldn't consider doing the water side of things if you can do a little carpentry and cut & connect bits of pipe.

What sort of connections are you considering? If you are going to solder joints then it's cheaper, whereas compression joints take less skill but are pricier.

Don't forget to get it earthed and remember that the boiler may well need an electricity supply.

Something I'd want to insure is that the whole system can be drained down efficiently. Whether or not you need to create a 'rise' on all the piping to achieve this or not I don't know, though.

I've just had a combi boiler & central heating put in this month .... 6 radiators .... £4.7K. But that's island prices. :roll:

New to me, but one of the radiators (hall) doesn't have a on/off control. This is to ensure that the boiler pump can always circulate some water and isn't fighting an 'all off' scenario.

Good luck!

gazwood
Dumbledore

Re: Installing central heating

Post by gazwood »

You'll be pleased to know that it has now all been installed with not a professional in sight (bar the Corgi gas man of course) to a total sum of around £1100!

We took our time with the lack of urgency for heating during the summer months, having said that, it was extremely hard work, and the house was in a right state for a while, but all in all not a bad saving, learnt a few new skills along the way too! 8-)

Never again mind you!! :lol:

trigger happy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trigger happy »

Fair play to you! Bet you are glad you did it and have a good sense of achievment!

thelip
FISO Jedi Braveheart
FS Record: Variable

Post by thelip »

gaz, you couldn't nash round to Cornish Pasty's house could you? He's got a problem with his system apparently. :wink:

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

trigger happy wrote:Fair play to you! Bet you are glad you did it and have a good sense of achievment!
Glad I did do it yes, but I meant it when I said 'never again!' :lol:
thelip wrote:gaz, you couldn't nash round to Cornish Pasty's house could you? He's got a problem with his system apparently. :wink:
I don't think I ever want to see another system ever again!!! :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “DIY”