To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Energy saving advice - Your tips wanted!

A forum for general discussion on Do It Yourself (DIY) subjects and topics
Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Energy saving advice - Your tips wanted!

Post by Jester »

With the law changing to require a vendor to provide a Home Information Pack, which includes energy efficiency ratings, when selling their house, I got thinking about ways to save energy around my own place.

The first area for improvement is the loft. I know I have below the minimum advised amount of insulation up there, and read recently that this is what causes upstairs to be unbearably hot during warm weather. I never thought of it that way, just thinking it kept warm air in during the winter. I think there may be grants available to help with this?

Another thing I read about, is energy saving plugs for appliances such as fridges and freezers - does anyone know how these actually work and whether they are really worthwhile getting?

Whilst I think I've got all the main things covered, loft as I said, double glazing etc, could anyone suggest more 'little things' that are worth doing?
I'd love to use solar energy for instance, but not to the degree of installing huge panels on the roof!
A mini-windmill to provide heat for the greenhouse - that sort of thing.

FISO's Energy Saving Tips!! :D

irishphoenix
Red & Blue Braces

Post by irishphoenix »

Try this site. It's from Ireland but the tips are universal. Some good ones there. http://www.powerofone.ie/

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Bought an 'intelli panel' at Tesco's for £20. Now Monitor, Printer, etc dont go on Standby, they switch off unless the Tower is powered on. And it has a surge protector. Supposed to save about £40 in its first year.

Its like an 8-1 adaptor with surge protector that pays for its self.

:?

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Beerfuelledman wrote:Bought an 'intelli panel' at Tesco's for £20. Now Monitor, Printer, etc dont go on Standby, they switch off unless the Tower is powered on. And it has a surge protector. Supposed to save about £40 in its first year.

Its like an 8-1 adaptor with surge protector that pays for its self.

:?

This looks good, but is it safe to have eight things plugged into one wall socket?! :shock:

I already switch off at the wall, but it's a pain remembering - this thing would do it automatically... As long as it's safe!

pottster
Dumbledore
FS Record: Regularly finishing in the top 100

Post by pottster »

I'll check out the intelli pannel thingy - sounds great (think I saw it on Dragons Den!)

If you haven't had it done then Cavity Wall insulation is a must!

But get your loft done first! any deals should be detailed on your local councils web-site - but if you don't qualify then its best just to get down to B&Q and sort out yourself.

Big savings can be made by replacing you less efficient household goods with more efficient one (it's not Rocket Science!) but this does not mean you have to go out and replace them - just when they konk out.

Also a themostatic control central heating sysetem is good and especially if you have temp control on each radiator.

I saw a demo for a gas boiler that has a stirling engine in it that uses the steam produced to heat your water into electricity that then is used in your house, any surpless elevtricity is put into the grid and you get payed for it! When my current boiler needs replacing I'll get one!

Not convincd by all this have a windmill in your garden and solar pannels - leave that up to the electricity genearting companies and big institutions, who can do it on a much bigger and more efficient scale.

Remember that its also best to put on a jumper and flap your arms about to warm up rather than putting the heating up :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “DIY”