How can you seal off electrical wires!

A forum for general discussion on Do It Yourself (DIY) subjects and topics
padmole
Dumbledore
FS Record: Various bits on footy / cricket and golf

How can you seal off electrical wires!

Post by padmole »

Hello

I have 2 sets of 3 wires in the side walls that lights in them.

Dont need the lights and looking to close off the wiring.

Problem is on how to seal off the wires before pushing them back into the wall.

If I add the plastic bits (Very technical!) and electrical tape, it then means I have to make a much bigger hole in the wall to push them in.

Can I just remove the plastic bits and simply seal with electrical tape or is that dangerous!

Help please

I am supposed to be doing this tonight so all advice or direction appreciated

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Tape would be OK if the ends are kept apart. Can you tape the ends to the cable?

Anarchy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Anarchy »

yep, tape should be okay if done properly - be careful that at least one of the ends is well clear of the hole when you fill it (filler will be wet so if you dont seal the ends well with tape and you smear wet filler over both ends you could make a short)

Madchester
FISO Michael Knighton
FS Record: Impressive

Post by Madchester »

get a qualified electrician in before you kill yourself.

p.s. i've just capped them and pushed them back into the wall myself.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Anarchy wrote:yep, tape should be okay if done properly - be careful that at least one of the ends is well clear of the hole when you fill it (filler will be wet so if you dont seal the ends well with tape and you smear wet filler over both ends you could make a short)
With a big flash and Bang! With luck you will not go flying across the room, but the electric will go off, so do not do it after dark.

Madchester
FISO Michael Knighton

Post by Madchester »

if padmole doesn't reply by close of play tomorrow then we can only fear the worst...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Madchester wrote:if padmole doesn't reply by close of play tomorrow then we can only fear the worst...
He has been quiet for a few hours :shock:

Madchester
FISO Michael Knighton

Post by Madchester »

r.i.p.

:(

brogie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by brogie »

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

This is worrying..........

Anarchy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Anarchy »

Maybe one of us should have reminded him to turn off the mains before taping the ends :shock: :cry:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Anarchy wrote:Maybe one of us should have reminded him to turn off the mains before taping the ends :shock: :cry:
:idea: You don't think they were live?

:idea: Nah, he would have got zapped before taping the ends. Wouldn't he? :shock:

Flyman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO FPL Knockout Cup Winner 08; 5th Overall Sky Sports Euro 12

Post by Flyman »

Don't want to be a 'killjoy' here, but I believe that it is now illegal in the UK to do your own LX work unless you are a qualified electrician or have your work checked by one.

'Nanny state', perhaps, but be warned.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Flyman wrote:Don't want to be a 'killjoy' here, but I believe that it is now illegal in the UK to do your own LX work unless you are a qualified electrician or have your work checked by one.

:idea: Isn't that joining wires/gas etc?

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

blahblah wrote:
Flyman wrote:Don't want to be a 'killjoy' here, but I believe that it is now illegal in the UK to do your own LX work unless you are a qualified electrician or have your work checked by one.

I think Flyman's right.... you can carry out work yourself but it has to signed off by a qualified sparky

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

barry wrote:
blahblah wrote:

I think Flyman's right.... you can carry out work yourself but it has to signed off by a qualified sparky
I hope he doesn't need signing off by a doctor :idea:

Getting into that light bulb, now

Flipside
Grumpy Old ManCity

Post by Flipside »

barry wrote:
blahblah wrote:

Would this include a simple thing like fitting a dimmer switch? Surely not?

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

Flipside wrote:
barry wrote:
blahblah wrote:

taken from the first link following a googlesearch (british gas I think)

Work you can do yourself

Replacing existing accessories such as lights, sockets outlets, ceiling roses, switches, fused spurs etc
Adding lighting points to an existing circuit in other locations like dining rooms, lounges or bedrooms
Disconnecting and reconnecting existing equipment

Work you cannot do yourself

Complete new or rewiring job
Fuse box change
Adding lighting points to an existing circuit in a “special location” like the kitchen, bathroom or garden
Installing electrical earth connections to pipework and metalwork
Adding a new circuit

Flyman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO FPL Knockout Cup Winner 08; 5th Overall Sky Sports Euro 12

Post by Flyman »

Flipside wrote:
barry wrote:
blahblah wrote:

Yes, I believe so. Legislation came in about 2 years ago. Probably doesn't have any repurcussions in most cases (who's to know?) but if you're doing work to sell on a property it's a must.

I think you can still replace your lightbulbs though. :roll:

"Joining wires to gas" is never a good idea, though, qualified or not. :wink:
Edit: Thanks, Barry. Good stuff to know! 8-)

Anarchy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Anarchy »

but more to the point - still no word from padmole :shock:

Fuzzy Logic
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Fuzzy Logic »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNMjE6OQOow

makes me laugh everytime.

btw if its illegal to do your own electrical work, surely you should have a certificate before you buy any obvious electrical stuff like an RCB board. I always thought that if you are paid to do a job involving electricity/gas you should have a certificate. eg. I go into fit a kitchen floor, I cannot remove the cooker be it gas or electricity. As they are paying me to fit the floor, however they could go and ask the next door neighbour to do it and thats okay. Or am I getting my wires crossed ( :roll: ).

padmole
Dumbledore

Post by padmole »

OUCH

So you don't use a wet cloth and a sharp screwdriver then!

I did the brave thing and got my mates dad round who is a qualified electrician.

ie I let him do a "Roy Rogers" of a job on my wall.

Currently drying with polyfilla for a weekend of being in doing painting. What a great way to spend only the second weekend of sun of the summer.

APOLOGIES to those that had hoped I would not be back on FISO - Thanks to those for the good and bad advice. I am sure the wife signed on under a pseudonym at one stage!

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

padmole wrote:OUCH

So you don't use a wet cloth and a sharp screwdriver then!

I did the brave thing and got my mates dad round who is a qualified electrician.

ie I let him do a "Roy Rogers" of a job on my wall.

Currently drying with polyfilla for a weekend of being in doing painting. What a great way to spend only the second weekend of sun of the summer.

APOLOGIES to those that had hoped I would not be back on FISO - Thanks to those for the good and bad advice. I am sure the wife signed on under a pseudonym at one stage!
:D hurray!!

remember build the polyfilla up in layers and if it's a big hole you can patch it first with a thick piece of card and some string :wink:

padmole
Dumbledore

Post by padmole »

Used a plastic bag to fill part of the gap - hope it doesn't constitute a link of any sort

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

padmole wrote:Used a plastic bag to fill part of the gap - hope it doesn't constitute a link of any sort
You can tell us if it sparks and burns the house down? :wink:

Glad you're still alive. :idea:

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

padmole wrote:Used a plastic bag to fill part of the gap - hope it doesn't constitute a link of any sort

Isn't it illegal to use plastic bags for filling holes in walls.....?

Surely you should be recycling them?!! :?

Hope the law doesn't catch you - especially if it's a 'bag for life!!!' :lol: :wink:

padmole
Dumbledore

Post by padmole »

There is only one "bag for life" that springs to mind - but she is out on a bike ride at the moment! :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

padmole wrote:There is only one "bag for life" that springs to mind - but she is out on a bike ride at the moment! :wink:
She got a saddle? :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “DIY”