To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

objecting to planning permission

A forum for general discussion on Do It Yourself (DIY) subjects and topics
tommymooney
FISO Knight

objecting to planning permission

Post by tommymooney »

Next door to me is a yard with a few low rise buildings in it. They have applied for planning permission for 3 houses on the site.

I'm being a right 'Nimby' and getting frustrated about it. Any one have experience in opposing plans? I know what the basics are from a Google around, but any detailed thoughts appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: objecting to planning permission

Post by murf »

Don't just moan, try and be specific about issues and quote anything you can find like the Council's own guidelines. Mention your privacy if any windows overlook. Parking and dangerous access are other good ones.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Parking is a cracker. Road access and junctions are a beauty. You can make it expensive for them to make them reconsider there plans.
Trees are another. Any old ones? Developers tricks are to accidently crash in to a tree with a digger.
If you get desperate you can start breeding newts.

pottster
Dumbledore
FS Record: Regularly finishing in the top 100

Post by pottster »

Under the new planing regs brought in by the current government, you can get away with almost anything these days.

Unless its in a conservation area or green belt all the applicant basically needs to do is submit a design that is generally in keeping with the area and is in line with the principles of sustainability.

Vehicle access can be a good reason to object but it would have to be on road safety grounds which is nhard to argue against if the development is in a 30mph area

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

I am in a conservation area - but its not exactly a world heritage site! Thanks for the advice so far.

I'll resort to FOI requests if things don't go my way!!! :lol:

SamD
FISO Knight

Planning permission

Post by SamD »

@ tommymooney: there's a similar topic with feedback here: garden-grabbing-planning-advice-t71649.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shall update that thread when time allows. Briefly, over the subsequent four years, three different developers submitted a total of seven planning applications - including two national appeals against the local council's decision - before the latest developer's plan was approved this summer. Judging by their actions, it seemed two of the applicants would say and do anything to back their cases; the second of the three was OK but ran out of funds so sold the plot on.

If there's a residents' association locally you could try and enlist their support. The one which I joined was most helpful, especially as it included someone with planning expertise.

Like most people, I had no experience of the application process at the outset. If wished, I'm happy to try and answer general and specific queries via this thread or by email. Good luck.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Thanks Sam, a handy read. I'm similar to the view of Spencer on your thread about the likely outcome here:

What will probably happen is...their plans get booted out, they re-apply with slight adjustments and get them approved.

When we bought the house six months ago, the local searches revealed nothing. So it is a bit unlucky, or if you are a cynic - perhaps they were just waiting until the new occupier moved in (the last one had some run ins with the site owner, and was a resident of 27 years standing!)

I'm trying to get a groundswell of local opinion on it, but unfortunately general English apathy reigns along the lines of 'a shame, but what can we do'.

Our Council refuses to let me speak to the planning officer. So I'm going to go down the Freedom of Information route regarding emails between officers and architect perhaps. Have emailed local Councillors but nothing from them.

Another major concern, is that when the building actually starts they ignore any advice from the Council about limitations of height etc anyway!

To add, I'm not against the conversion of the site to residential property from its current use, but the scale of the development is my concern.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

the soothsayer Spencer did speak..

What will probably happen is...their plans get booted out, they re-apply with slight adjustments and get them approved.

The initial plans weren't booted as such, but anyway - they were revised (in a good way for us really) and got the nod from the Council today. I now look forward to a year of building works next door :( (not good for a home based worker like me)

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Protected bird nests are the way to go.

I've got a few Manx herring gulls and Manx shearwaters nests (both protected species)that you can have cheap. Spread these across the site and they can't touch it. I'd give you some eggs but I ate them.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

can you post them?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “DIY”