To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Anti Depressants, or Happy Pills

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being

Have you?

Yes
20%
No
53%
Relative has
27%

Total votes: 79

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Re: Anti Depressants, or Happy Pills

Post by el_pappje »

My rollcall consists of a Grandma who has been depressive for decades. From what I understand, she had a nervous breakdown when my mother was quite young and never fully recovered from that. Given that was probably in the 50s it is quite likely that there was little understanding of how to help her. For me, I would characterise her as swinging wildly from fine to low. It was occasionally hard enough before my mother died three years ago, but as you can imagine that aded an extra layer to her woe.

My wife has taken them for post-natal depression after our first was born, which would be a chemical issue. She felt that if a stranger had come up to her in the street and offered to take our daughter away, she would have said yes. What helped us hugely was that I had read up about PND just in case (and I also had a funny feeling late on in the pregnancy) and, apart from doing as much of the baby duty as I could, brought it up and offered support if she wanted to get help, which she did. This is a tangent, I know, but the one thing I say to any prospective Dad is to read up just in case. I know of a family friend whose husband was oblivious until a mate of her husband's saw some of her texts and realised something wasn't right.

Beyond that, a good friend has been on medication, although I never managed to really get to the bottom of where it came from, and he has lived in Spain for a few years now so I don't get the chance to keep up much. As far as I can tell, though, he managed to sort himself out.

Best wishes in any case, Blahblah. I think the responses on here show depression is widespread, but most importantly that there is plenty of help on hand.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

el_pappje wrote:

Best wishes in any case, Blahblah. I think the responses on here show depression is widespread, but most importantly that there is plenty of help on hand.

That is why I started it, as the more people I tell (I having using words like confess, or come out to) the more common it seems.

Hardly anyone has taken a bad attitude..... OK to my face, anyway :lol:

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Post by el_pappje »

blahblah wrote:
el_pappje wrote:

That is why I started it, as the more people I tell (I having using words like confess, or come out to) the more common it seems.

Hardly anyone has taken a bad attitude..... OK to my face, anyway :lol:
I think that is because of more openness and understanding.

Several years back I could be heard shouting at Stan Collymore wondering how hard it could be for poor diddums when he was getting paid so much to kick a football around. Then I wised up, and shut up!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

El Pap, I hope that your wife is (and more importantly the pair of you are) OK.

Collymore was an odd one, as at the time I felt nothing odd about it. Being in a team with Fowler, James and Mamanamanaman, would have sent most people dolally.......

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Latic wrote: To elaborate further on my past.
There is still a dark room in my mind. Whilst I've walked out of it, the room will always be there and I'm not afraid to look into it from time to time. It is part of me, part of my past and will always be there but it is not now and will never be the room I live in again.

Sounds like bliss to me.

This defines my dark room, and I hope to be able to look back to it. Those who walk on air won't understand. People like you find it easy.........

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Shit few weeks, or so, and I will post excuses and reasons for not posting on FISO soon.

Apologies to all I have pissed off.

Synyster
FISO Knight
FS Record: Won a few prizes here and there..

Post by Synyster »

Don't worry about it blahblah, our real lives come before FISO, try to keep your chin up, and eyes and ears closed during the Norfolk derby, to save further saddening news. You've got Norfolk enchance of winning :lol:

Hope all is well, did seem weird to see an off topic thread without your fun ramblings on them :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

tcf wrote:Don't worry about it blahblah, our real lives come before FISO, try to keep your chin up, and eyes and ears closed during the Norfolk derby, to save further saddening news. You've got Norfolk enchance of winning :lol:

Hope all is well, did seem weird to see an off topic thread without your fun ramblings on them :D

:lol:

Keane is trashing us.................

Synyster
FISO Knight

Post by Synyster »

He's Keane on trashing you :lol:

I would reccommend chilling out watching England in the Ashes, but it's starting to depress me already :lol: :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

tcf wrote:He's Keane on trashing you :lol:

I would reccommend chilling out watching England in the Ashes, but it's starting to depress me already :lol: :D

Listening here, and about to hit the duvet.

Not good.

Synyster
FISO Knight

Post by Synyster »

I'll be hitting the TV set if it carries on like this. :D

btw, related to the topic.. HTP-5 I found worked very well for me, also aided a bit of weight loss.. but after 2 small tubs of the tablets I layed off. It was a tough few years, watching Charlton week in week out didn't help :x :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

tcf wrote:I'll be hitting the TV set if it carries on like this. :D

btw, related to the topic.. HTP-5 I found worked very well for me, also aided a bit of weight loss.. but after 2 small tubs of the tablets I layed off. It was a tough few years, watching Charlton week in week out didn't help :x :lol:

I do not need any weight loss :lol:

Was on citalopram, now on venlafaxine (borderline hallucogenic after a bottle of wine).

Synyster
FISO Knight

Post by Synyster »

Sounds interesting where do I get me some :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Well here goes. I have meaning to update this for a while, but I haven't had the inclination and strength at the same time, but the Yardy thing has prompted me to, so a glass of wine and away I go.

I will start with Yardy. from the bbc site:

An England and Wales Cricket Board statement said the decision had been taken "in close consultation" with the England medical team and that he had been managing the illness "for a prolonged period of time".

This implies that he had it before the WC, and that the Management Team knew about it. Personally I think the players should have known about it, but that was his choice, or the Management Team's. The idea that he went because he had been dropped, is not even laughable.

Why on earth they put Bopara up for the Press Conference to declare the amazing isight of: I noticed he wasn't quite the normal Michael Yardy, normally he pops into my room for a game of Fifa [video game] and we have a dig at each other. was decidedly odd, and not helpful. What would help is Trecothick having opened up a bit more, or it having received more publicity.

I suspect that Sometimes you just need the right people, which for him is his family. from Bopara, again is not accurate, an the inaccuracy that some would not read in to it is the key. I would guess that he misses a sense of security, a cell etc. Yes there may me "family love", but he may want\need to be away from the fears that are eating him up (for want of a better phrase). Only he will know those fears, and they are very unlikely to be real, but to him they are.

I have, finally, got some therapy, which is far better than medication, although I am on metrazapine, not which is far better than the previous two.

The Therapy is very good, to the extent that it can be hard to deal with afterwards, and I do not really understand why. anyway I had a two hour session, due to patients not turning up, which was good.

In a nut shell the balance beam analogy from the Yardy thread sums things up. Mine is up there with the planes, and doing most things is the same as walking across a balance beams with the jumbo jets flying around me. Even a phone going ringing in the background on tv can make me jump.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

How long will the therapy sessions continue for blah?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

A while yet, and to be honest I probably need(ed) them when functioning, which he agrees on, and I think he means it, rather than just "mirroring" or agreeing to be liked.

He thinks I am "interesting", as in the issues I have, or that we are unravelling. It is like the proverbial onion of constantly peeling layers and stuff.

One of the issues is my lack of a reward system, or materialistic drive; and me placing my own self respect above anything else. Unfortunately, when that crumbles there is nothing in reserve, while if I had the reward system, or cared what others thought, then self respect is a reserve, if that makes sense. We talk about "general" things, and in the last session he called me a bigot, which was both good and funny in a way I can not express properly and I can not remember the context.

The one thing I have learnt that as sympatheic, or not, that people may be, there are a lot of other sufferers and the care is shite. I should have been seeing this bloke over a year ago, and I think I know how I could be "over this" very quickly, but I will not get him, or someone like him for a few days, and someone to go through all the unopend letters that I have and to help me sort out that stuff.

(I am not upto scrolling up the thread, but the main issue(s) I still have is that I can not open envelopes, my phone is disconnected, and going into town is a massive issue.)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

From the Yardy thread, but not sure it was that relevant there.
WilBert wrote: 3, Away from family, friends and support structures most of us take for granted
4, In the public eye being written about and watched 24/7
1, Not meeting your own performance expectations
2, 6 months away from home
2, Extreme mental and physical exertion

All this on top of the amazingly individual, complex and debilitating condition; my sympathies go out to him and also my congratulations on being brave enough to admit and go public about his condition.
Not up to reading the book, having seen a few reviews.

I have ranked them as I see them, and this family thing is probably being over-egged as he\they may not even want to see them*, but I would guess at some sort of rock\anchor, either human, or animal (dog), building, room or place. Playing cricket is\was probably the easiest part.

One thing that I am pretty sure about Depression, as opposed to feeling sad, is that it is the concious mind taking over the subconcious. The concious mind is the thinking bit, and the subconcious the automatic part. The difference is best explained in learning to drive. We all drive subconciously, but teaching and learning it is in the concious mind, and is why a lot of people can not teach their wife\partner\children - because we just do it. It is this inability to just do things that defines depression, as well as suicidal stuff, which does not come from a dislike or feeling let down by close friends\family - it is more likely the first ranked, above.

Thinking about cricket, and someone posting about suicide rates, the hardest part of cricket was batting, when not facing the bowling, and the time in the field to think; both of which are not good to the weak of mind, for want of a better phrase. I only actually enjoyed playing it when I was a Capt, and to be honest I can not think of anything more tedious than being a touring cricketer. The tedium would provide the opportunity for the concious mind to take over, and it is not a battle easily won.

* By that I mean not see anyone.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

The hated phrase of 'it's all in your mind' can be turned around slightly to 'it's all OF the mind'. Interesting thoughts about the conscious and sub conscious I'd never thought of it that way. I'll have to think about that. Thanks.

the dude abides
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Renault Clio Sport Winner 2010/11

Post by the dude abides »

Hi mate, just seen your thread after seeing the Yardy thread, thought i would give you my view.
About 5 years ago i was diagnosed with depression, there were several reasons, hated my job, couldnt face going in , pressure to earn, health problems, and a mid life crisis to top it all off !!

I was given Citalopram( made me feel worse) then Floextazine(prozac),bit better but just made me feel numb, didnt give a toss about anything.
After a few months, my Dr gave me 10 meetings with a councellor, and that helped lots.
"The big black dog" that used to visit me with no warning began to go away.
The key i think is to face all the crap that is making you feel down in the first place, people close to me used to say
"snap out of it" or" get a grip", which is so unhelpful, because there is no warning or pattern, one day i was ok, then the next , wham , i just wanted to be alone and spend the day in bed.
The way forward is to like yourself, and dont beat yourself up .
Five years on, i have been medication free for the last 3 years, have a much better relationship with my family, and have a much healthier lifestyle , which is a big help

I wish you well Dude, and i admire you for speaking honestly and openly, your half way there already.
All the best .

Pincher
Grumpy Old Crab
FS Record: Allys Tartan Army

Post by Pincher »

I would strongly recommend the following book to anyone who has, or has a relations who has, depression/anxiety issues:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manage-Your-Min ... 012&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is based around cognitive behavioural therapy concepts, and can often provide insight into these conditions. Might be the best 8-quid you ever spend, and delivered to your door for free.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep, it does sum it up, and why I replied here. It is the inability to do the things most people do without thinking............

Life is like walking the balance beam so high off the ground, as the concious mind is in total control, and is not easily turned off. It is easy when it is within a few feet of the ground, but the higher it goes, the harder it gets.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Pincher wrote:I would strongly recommend the following book to anyone who has, or has a relations who has, depression/anxiety issues:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manage-Your-Min ... 012&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is based around cognitive behavioural therapy concepts, and can often provide insight into these conditions. Might be the best 8-quid you ever spend, and delivered to your door for free.
Was posted while I was typing.............

The thing with CBT is that you have to be ready for it. I was quite annoyed when I was turned down for it, but to be honest I wasn't well enough for it. Now, when I am I am I am reluctant to go there, as it seems to be too simplistic, when I think my issues are deeper. My shrink suggested it, and he laughed from the look on my face, which was a barely disguised "Effing pile of shite" look, which I have. However, I am going to ry it, and bite my tongue at not being treated like a human being while doing it.; and I will report on how it goes.

kingcurtley
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 8 x Top 10k finish; TFF 21/22 - 148th; TFC '14 - 6th; T20 '13 - 13th; SP4 RWC Pred Winner '11

Post by kingcurtley »

Echo 'The Dude' above...

I was diagnosed with depression about five years ago, and was on citalopram on and off

It was mainly an anxiety issue with me - and it manifested itself as a balance problem - i couldn't stand at football games, in queues, gigs etc without freaking out and having to leave the situation, lean on a wall, hold on to something, drink more. Basically it stopped me doing lots, every morning i'd have to plan out avoidance tactics, it was utterly exhausting.

I'm off medication completely now (three month), and the big thing for me was CBT - taught to tackle the problem head on - make myself go in the situations I didn't want and tell yourself you can do it etc, there's nothing physically stopping you (for a couple of years I thought I had a brain tumour, that's why my balance was askew, but i was to scared to do anything). Citalopram helped boost confidence levels to do it.

Get a CBT referral if you feel you're ready. It's worked wonders for me socially, and I hope you have the same success. Good luck!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

the dude abides wrote:Hi mate, just seen your thread after seeing the Yardy thread, thought i would give you my view.
About 5 years ago i was diagnosed with depression, there were several reasons, hated my job, couldnt face going in , pressure to earn, health problems, and a mid life crisis to top it all off !!
Been there, had that and an awful commute into London, but was not diagnosed.........
the dude abides wrote: I was given Citalopram( made me feel worse) then Floextazine(prozac),bit better but just made me feel numb, didnt give a toss about anything.
I found this. I stopped taking the first two drugs I was given, as I went from antipathy to apathy. Mirtazapine gives me some get up and go.
the dude abides wrote: After a few months, my Dr gave me 10 meetings with a councellor, and that helped lots.
Far better than drugs, if you click, imho.

the dude abides wrote: "The big black dog" that used to visit me with no warning began to go away.
Not got one of them, but I know what you mean, but mine is a mad attack, like I say a balance beam up among the jumbo jets.
the dude abides wrote: The key i think is to face all the crap that is making you feel down in the first place, people close to me used to say
"snap out of it" or" get a grip", which is so unhelpful, because there is no warning or pattern, one day i was ok, then the next , wham , i just wanted to be alone and spend the day in bed.
Living just to go to bed is where I have been, and trying to pass the hours without mad panic attacks etc, and this is why I think Yardy\Trecothick may be happy in their house\bed alone, and the family thing could be over egged.
the dude abides wrote: The way forward is to like yourself, and dont beat yourself up .
My battle is that and the concious vs subconcious thing.
the dude abides wrote: Five years on, i have been medication free for the last 3 years, have a much better relationship with my family, and have a much healthier lifestyle , which is a big help

I wish you well Dude, and i admire you for speaking honestly and openly, your half way there already.
All the best .
Well done, but are you not more wary of the start of similar feelings again?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

kingcurtley wrote:Echo 'The Dude' above...

I was diagnosed with depression about five years ago, and was on citalopram on and off

It was mainly an anxiety issue with me - and it manifested itself as a balance problem - i couldn't stand at football games, in queues, gigs etc without freaking out and having to leave the situation, lean on a wall, hold on to something, drink more. Basically it stopped me doing lots, every morning i'd have to plan out avoidance tactics, it was utterly exhausting.

I'm off medication completely now (three month), and the big thing for me was CBT - taught to tackle the problem head on - make myself go in the situations I didn't want and tell yourself you can do it etc, there's nothing physically stopping you (for a couple of years I thought I had a brain tumour, that's why my balance was askew, but i was to scared to do anything). Citalopram helped boost confidence levels to do it.

Get a CBT referral if you feel you're ready. It's worked wonders for me socially, and I hope you have the same success. Good luck!
As I said I found citalopram good for keeping me alive, but I didn't give a flying about anything, and I do mean anything. I was so apathetic, and everything could be done tomorrow, which never arrives.

My main issue is specifically going into Ipswich, where I had a now bust shop. So it is not like a "spiders" problem, or crowds, etc it is very specific. The problem is that with no job I can not move, and no way can I get on a rush hour train... So I need to move, my therapist for two days solid, or half a day two days a week for a few weeks, and someone to sort out the pile of bags of unopened envelopes, and I reckon I would be OK. I do think it would really be this simple, but it is borderline impossible.

OK not that simple, as I hate the SE, and I would rather be back up north, but the ex wife has the kids down here....

kingcurtley
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 8 x Top 10k finish; TFF 21/22 - 148th; TFC '14 - 6th; T20 '13 - 13th; SP4 RWC Pred Winner '11

Post by kingcurtley »

Step by step, you're get there. Keep with the therapy or CBT, hopefully the therapist will help you break down the issues/hurdles singularly and where you see unanswerably questions now you'll get some answers shortly.

A year ago I hadn't got a clue what was going on, utterly confused and angry, but I've got there with help and time

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Thanks, and I do feel on the cusp of breaking through............ or back into reality.

Jagduracell
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd TFF World Cup 2014, 8th in TFF Fantasy Lions and a few TFF and TFC weekly wins

Post by Jagduracell »

Hello blahblah, first off I want to thank you for bringing this thread up and into people's attention. I, to my knowledge, have never suffered from depression but for the last 3 years since my daughter was born my wife has been living with a mentall illness in the form of an OCD. It has been quite a distressing time as it was first thought that it was post-natal depression but has ended up manisfesting itself as an OCD which primarily centres around dark thoughts based around our daughter.

After some initial consultations with a psychologist and various doctors she has now found herself about 3-4 months into a course of anti-depressants and has just finished a course of CBT.

I wouldn't say it has been a miraculous cure but it has been a huge help. She still has some good days and bad days but more good than badby a long way.

Keep going blahblah, you obviously have a lot of support on here.

the dude abides
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Renault Clio Sport Winner 2010/11

Post by the dude abides »

Hi Blah, yeah course i get the odd day when someone pisses me off big time , but before i would have gone into another downer,and wanted to get on a plane and dissapear for 3 months.
Now i try to stay calm, appreciate what i have got, not what i havent, and deal with any issues that arise in that manner.
The stuff that usedto be important to me has changed, i dont go chasing a pound note all over town anymore, and im happiest in my garden , feeding the chickens, seeing my grandson, and just trying not to let negative people in my life !!
Give yourself time , keep up the sessions , you will come out a stronger and happier person.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Good luck blahblah et al,

Can't really start to know where you are coming from or what to say (or to those I have known with similar) but I do understand the following:
the dude abides wrote:The stuff that used to be important to me has changed, i dont go chasing a pound note all over town anymore, and im happiest in my garden , feeding the chickens, seeing my grandson, and just trying not to let negative people in my life !!
A similar world view has helped me through life and I've resented being in the office this week when I have a wife and sunny garden back at home - but I know what pays for it and I'll be out of here at 5:30 and the clocks change this weekend so I can have an hour's pottering when I get home....

Don't forget to enjoy the good things when you can - even if that is only posting on FISO!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”