To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Grand to Grand Ultra

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Grand to Grand Ultra

Post by unc.si. »

Just a quick post to wish a virtual 'good luck' to my sister, who's running in this little event in the US at the weekend.

http://www.g2gultra.com/race/course

just the 2 marathons, a double marathon, 2 more marathons and a short 7.5 mile climb up the grand staircase in 7 days, through the sand dunes and slot canyons of Arizona and Utah, carrying her own food and sleeping kit.

She's 54, about 7 stone wet through and completely stark staring mad :D

Rob
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: WC2010 FISODAS Champion!!

Re: Grand to Grand Ultra

Post by Rob »

Crikey :shock:
Best of luck to your sister; it should be an experience and a half.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

:shock: kudos to your sis. It looks absolutely brutal. It's very hot at the mo - have a friend in Phoenix at the mo - 44c day before yesterday - also brutal.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Think (hope) it'll be a bit cooler than that as its at altitude - probably around 80deg.

Was in Miami a couple of weeks back and noticed on the news that a big chunk of the US is having a heatwave at the moment. Can't imagine running in that heat but at least its less humid there than Miami is.

Was trying to meet up with her, as I'm off to Mexico and Miami that week, but schedule doesn't quite work out. Would have been good to fly back via LA and meet her at Gladstones Malibu for a slap up meal on my expenses!

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Woh. Was in Pembrokeshire last week where there were big preparations for an Ironman. 'Just' a big swim, 100+ miles on a bike then a marathon. The thought of that scared me. Then was watching the Great North Run on telly. Even a half marathon is a big undertaking.

But this.....

Good luck to her.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

Wow. Awesome challenge. All the best to sis.si

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Well,

belated update from 2015 - she didn't make it. Combination of 40deg temperatures and destroyed feet meant she didn't finish.

However, not to be beaten she went back this year and has just finished the 173 mile course, through sand dunes, scrub and slot canyons from the Grand Canyon to the Grand Staircase.

Relieved she's OK and glad she managed to achieve her dream of running one of the toughest Ultra Marathons in the world.

Chapeau big Sis

:D

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Awesome! :shock:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Massive chapeau.

Was a year ago this week I found out I'd got my place on the London Marathon (only remember that as the week I jacked in work). I know how hard the training was for that and still how far short I fell in terms of getting my body prepared so I have nothing but admiration for anybody going above and beyond. Especially at a certain age. Respect.

Also believe some are better designed for it than others!! Being 7 stone would help (got just below 10 for my marathon).

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Yes, she's definitely built for distance running, although being 7 stone does bring its own problems when carrying a pack as it's a much higher proportion of her bodyweight.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”