To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

6 month wedding date countdown - My weight loss diary!

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
nffc
Grumpy Old Man

6 month wedding date countdown - My weight loss diary!

Post by nffc »

I hope people don't mind me stating my own thread on this, but I attempted and failed last new year on the weight loss challenge thread so putting myself more in the spotlight will hopefully force me to be more committed this year. Having this diary out in a public forum = no option of failure!

The main reason I need to lose it this time even more than ever is that I am getting married in June. I know she is going to look good on the day but I have let myself go in recent years. I want to look good stood next to her and I don't want everyone at the wedding thinking how the hell has this fat bloke managed to pull her :P

I met Mrs nffc when I was a much slimmer 22 year old. Now 9 years of Wine, Strongbow, Takeaways and more Strongbow later I am no longer the much fitter, leaner good looking young man that she was lucky to pull on that drunken night out in town. 8-)

I know I can eat healthily if I avoid the pub (Many pints of Cider = a magnet to the kebab shop) but when your whole social life revolves around the local pub I know this is going to be difficult. I probably spend £200+ a week on going out with at least one day at the weekend being at least a 25 pint session and Thursday night being a trip to the Indian restaurant where its lets eat to bursting point. As well as knowing this is not good for me the £800 per month saving will more than pay for the honeymoon.

So here I am committing myself to this. :oops:

I have a few more parties and drinking sessions to go over the new year so I have set myself a start date of the 2nd week in the new year with first weigh date being Tuesday 7th January.

No clue how much I weigh right now but the new 38 waist jeans that santa bought me do not fit so I know its probably more than I thought it was and the reality check of the scales is not something I am looking forward to :oops: At 6ft 4 the BMI calculator of a healthy 25 says I should be below 14.5 stone. I don't think I would ever want to be 14 stone as most of my weight is on my Chest and Shoulders rather than around the middle (although there is still plenty of jelly on the belly) so I think I would look silly if I got that low. Target to be decided upon 1st weigh in day :?

I have a gym membership and I am reasonably fit for a fat bloke. The excess flab says I clearly dont go to the gym enough (In 2013, I'll have 4 sessions one week then a 6 week gap for the next one :oops: ) but not starting my fitness from complete scratch which should be a little bit of help.

I plan to try devise a way of keeping record of my fitness as well as body stats then reveal all on here. But will think of the best way to do this over the next week.

So off to the pub for now and I'll report back with my fat and unfit stats the 2nd week of the new year :D

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: 6 month wedding date countdown - My weight loss diary!

Post by unc.si. »

Nice one.
Tracking your 2k rowing time on a concept 2 at the gym is a good way of tracking fitness. Either that or 5k/10k run on a treadmill

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Get yourself over to the Parkrun thread or TK's 1000 mile challenge.

Takeshi Kovacs
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Takeshi Kovacs »

Come and join us....come and join us........

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I hate running :cry: The parkrun sounds a little too optimistic at this stage and its unlikely I will be able to drag my fat ass around the full course :oops: I might try starting on the running machine. Not sure if 5k is achievable on there just yet so may start with 3k in week 1 and try and build myself up. Maybe aim to start running outside around March??

The 2k on a rowing machine sounds horrific!! :cry: I have to psyche myself up to do a 500m sprint but it will be a good way to monitor so I will definitely include and try to measure progress on this. Looking at the times on the rowing challenge thread the 1min 30secs barrier for 500m is definitely doable for me as I can do sub 1:35 with no training. As for the 2k I will just be happy to be able to complete it :P

So I may try keep a measure of something like this

Number of continuous press ups.
2k Row
5k Treadmill (when/if I can get there!!)
10k/20k Bike
all max effort

Keeping track of improving PB's with the above along with recording my hopefully reducing fat stats should keep me motivated past January this time.

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

25 pint session :lol: You must be Dot's long lost love child :lol:

The 5-2 diet is working for me. Highly recommended.

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

7lb claimer wrote:25 pint session :lol: You must be Dot's long lost love child :lol:

The 5-2 diet is working for me. Highly recommended.
Well today is planned to be the last massive session on the beer until the stag do. I am not saying I am gonna be tee total until then but plan to cut down from 4-6 days a week to maybe once a week and certainly not any more 4000+ calorie in liquid alone days. :oops:

I don't think I need to follow a diet plan. I know that pub + curry + lack of exercise makes a very fat man so just need to cut the alcohol down, eat sensibly and force myself to get on the evil that is the treadmill more often.

But for this week still got loads of calorific Xmas food and drinks left in the house that I do not want to go to waste :P

crispybits
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO Apprentice Champion 2011-2012, Xpert11 FBT winner season 7

Post by crispybits »

Good luck nffc - do feel free to add your numbers to the main challenge thread too (or if you don't mind when you post updates here I'll duplicate them over there so that you're part of the bigger challenge too to help keep the rest of us motivated)

If you want something even more hard to ignore and don't mind getting text messages to keep you on track PM me your mobile number and I'll make sure I nudge you if you haven't posted your progress here for more than a week. It's more difficult to ignore a text than it is to ignore an internet forum thread you're not setting your browser to go to.

Most importantly remember that you need to keep coming back and posting every week whether the news is good or bad. Even if you haven't got accurate weight figures or whatever because you've been bed-ridden with the flu or just plain lazy come and admit it here - I found the weeks where I didn't do so well, when I knew I had to own up to them in public, to be a better motivator than the pats on the back when I had a good week.

Oh and check this page out - I'm doing the squats challenge first (did my initial test today) but there's others there too (push ups, sit ups, etc) and it might give you something of a bit more interest that you can do outside of the gym so even if you can't get down there for a session you still have a reason to go find a quiet room for 5 minutes and get something productive done for your fitness:

http://www.twohundredsquats.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

crispybits wrote:Good luck nffc - do feel free to add your numbers to the main challenge thread too (or if you don't mind when you post updates here I'll duplicate them over there so that you're part of the bigger challenge too to help keep the rest of us motivated)

If you want something even more hard to ignore and don't mind getting text messages to keep you on track PM me your mobile number and I'll make sure I nudge you if you haven't posted your progress here for more than a week. It's more difficult to ignore a text than it is to ignore an internet forum thread you're not setting your browser to go to.

Most importantly remember that you need to keep coming back and posting every week whether the news is good or bad. Even if you haven't got accurate weight figures or whatever because you've been bed-ridden with the flu or just plain lazy come and admit it here - I found the weeks where I didn't do so well, when I knew I had to own up to them in public, to be a better motivator than the pats on the back when I had a good week.

Oh and check this page out - I'm doing the squats challenge first (did my initial test today) but there's others there too (push ups, sit ups, etc) and it might give you something of a bit more interest that you can do outside of the gym so even if you can't get down there for a session you still have a reason to go find a quiet room for 5 minutes and get something productive done for your fitness:

http://www.twohundredsquats.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All good advice mate cheers. I have PM'd you :P

It will be good to have something to do at home so I may take up the squats and press ups. I'll go to the gym after work/Uni in the evening but I am thinking of forcing myself into an early morning home workout with stuff like this. I also invested in a decent rowing machine a few years back that I could dust off the cobwebs if I could find space for it for an early morning row.

I am bringing forward my start date and weighing myself tomorrow. I am out Saturday night and going to Forest v West Ham on Sunday which always means a session on the beer before/afterwards. But weighing myself before should make me a little more aware of my alcohol calorie intake and make me also avoid the pie at half time, greggs and subway in between pubs and the kebab at the end of the night!

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

nffc wrote:I am bringing forward my start date and weighing myself tomorrow.

Good luck!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Trying to be vaguely serious:
Pils has less calories than other alcohol, if you must drink. (The all the sugar has turned to alcohol is kinda true etc.)
Walk for an hour a day, and as quickly as possible.
Get a bike, as more fun than running, and subject to falls not as bad for the knees and ankles...
Do not buy 40" waist trousers!!!

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

blahblah wrote:Trying to be vaguely serious:
Pils has less calories than other alcohol, if you must drink. (The all the sugar has turned to alcohol is kinda true etc.)
Walk for an hour a day, and as quickly as possible.
Get a bike, as more fun than running, and subject to falls not as bad for the knees and ankles...
Do not buy 40" waist trousers!!!
I don't like lager so wont be drinking pils. Plan is to allow Saturday night as a free evening and be strict the rest of the week.

I am going to make myself run. I hate it and always have even when I was younger, fitter and slimmer. Don't understand how people see running as a fun hobby but I want to see fast results so running is a necessary evil :cry: I am going to try mix it up so I dont get bored so swimming, cycling, walking are all in the plan and like you said more fun than running.

I think I would be too embarrassed to buy 40" trousers so that ain't gonna happen anyway!!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

What about wine? Red with fizzy water is surprisingly pleasant: just trying to make a pleasure less pleasurable, but far less calorific :lol:

Seriously, if you do not like running then don't do it as it will only end in chocolate\cake\crisps\cider. It has to be slightly pleasurable or not loathed, so join a swimming pool: a lot do monthly deals. Go 3 times a week, even if you do not swim a lot to begin with get into the habit of going... Unfortunately gyms with those wonderful steam rooms and saunas are yearly contracts at £5-600?

I refuse to get 36" :lol:

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Ok here we go.

Day 1.
168 Days to go.

Weight: 19 Stone 6Lbs
BMI: 33.16 = Obese (I am 6ft 4)

Chest: 50" (I have included this because I want to lose weight around my chest/shoulders area as I struggle to find decent trendy shirts to fit!)
Waist: 43" (I don't understand this. If I bought a pair of trousers with 43 inch waist they would be around my ankles :? I'd have guessed 38-40 before measuring :roll: )

Day 1 photograph taken. I am not brave enough to put it up on here yet. :lol:
Last edited by nffc on 04 Jan 2014, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

blahblah wrote:What about wine? Red with fizzy water is surprisingly pleasant: just trying to make a pleasure less pleasurable, but far less calorific :lol:

Seriously, if you do not like running then don't do it as it will only end in chocolate\cake\crisps\cider. It has to be slightly pleasurable or not loathed, so join a swimming pool: a lot do monthly deals. Go 3 times a week, even if you do not swim a lot to begin with get into the habit of going... Unfortunately gyms with those wonderful steam rooms and saunas are yearly contracts at £5-600?

I refuse to get 36" :lol:
I like red wine and I can't drink a lot of it so the switch from white wine/cider to red may be a good one. I won't be diluting it though :lol:

I have a gym, swim and sauna membership with the local council. Its £48 per month for a couples membership for me and Mrs nffc so good value. Unlimited free excercise classes too although never used them or the swimming facilities. The only swimming I have really done in the last ten years is to the swim up bar on holidays :lol:

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Doing ok with the excerise commitment with a trip to the gym 4 days in a row so far.

Had a go at the first of my fitness tests today with the 20k bike and my week one time is 38m14s.

I have never done more than 20 minutes on an exercise bike before so it hurt like hell but I can definitely improve on that time with a little more practice. I'll have another go at it next week.

I was going to have a go at another test but my legs were like jelly after that. Free afternoon tomorrow so I'll record my 5k treadmill time and 2k row then. (only done no more than 3k treadmill and 10 min steady rows so far) I predict the 5k treadmill torture will be very slow and involve a couple of sections of walking :?

Fitness records.

Week 1
2k Row = TBC
20k Excercise bike = 38m14s
5k Treadmill = TBC (it will be slow :lol: )

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

This afternoon was the plan to set week 1 personal records for 2k row and 5k treadmill. Not done very good but the idea of recording this is so that I can look back at this in a few months and see how bad I was so I never go back to where I am now.

I tried my best...........

2km Row
Well this was great fun :evil:
I knew this was going to be hard but I underestimated just how much of a killer this was. Went off too fast thinking I was Steve Redgrave and after about 500 metres I was f#cked :lol: Kept going though for almost 10 minutes of pain with the last 800 meters being total agony. Time 9.47 which I think I should be able to knock at least a minute off just by pacing myself better. I am pretty good at the 500m distance of this as I have good upper body strength and the stamina will come for the 2k as the weight drops off (hopefully anyway :lol: )

5km Treadmill
I went onto this with the intention to force myself to complete. Aching from the 20km bike I did yesterday, wet through from the 2k I had done on the Rowing machine and its also not a good sign when as soon as you start running you can feel the contents of your stomach bouncing up and down with every step. After about 1.5km I got stitch so walked for 200m to try get rid. It went then came back again. Dripping with sweat and grunting away I was determined to at least beat my 3km distance and pushed myself to 3.5km. I was honestly not capable of another step but I am sure it will happen if I keep trying and I will go again at this with fresher legs.

Week 1 times of shame
2k Row = 9m47s
20k Excercise bike = 38m14s
5k Treadmill = Only managed 3.5km :oops:

On the bright side....

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Listened to some advice from a few people today and had a day of rest.

Was not going to do nothing though, and it was a reasonable day so took the dog to the local country park for 4 mile walk. Picking up Dog Poo every 10 minutes is much more enjoyable then the treadmill :D

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Just about to do my week 2 weigh in :P

I'll be gutted and surprised if I have not done ok as I have never tried so hard ever especially with how hard I have pushed my mountain of flab with exercise and how disciplined I have been with alcohol.

Exercise has been hard for me. The treadmill has been hell and my body has ached all week but hopefully this will get easier for me. Yesterday I did a 3km treadmill and although I found it uncomfortable and could not wait for it to end I was not as much as in agony as previous days. Next week I am determined to push my ass to record a 5k run time :lol:

Staying away from alcohol has been easier than I expected to be. Considerable notice already to my wallet and bank balance :D I withdrew £50 from the cash machine on Monday to get some food for the week, spent £40 on the shop and still had the £10 note left in my wallet until I went shopping again last night. :D
Although I do have a small confession to make :oops: Was meant to be alcohol free until my Saturday reward night but I had 2 cans of Speckled Hen with a film I watched late last night to unwind from the stresses of chasing up a couple of late payments from some work I am owed for. Not a big deal I don't think as long as I don't make a habit of it.

Food - Its been easy to eat healthy. Just as I thought, No pub = No takeaway. No wine = No hangover breakfast. Not followed any diet just 3 meals with only fruit for snacking. The meals have been what I'd call healthy with the contents but if I have not done well then it may be down to a few monster portions which I know I need to reduce :oops:

Week 2 weight coming up soon.........

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Day 1.
Weight: 19st 6lb
BMI: 33.16

Day 8.
Weight: 18St 13lb
BMI: 32.27

161 days to go
Lost this week = 7lb
Weight loss to date = 7lb
Target weight = 16st
Remaining to lose = 41lb :oops:

crispybits
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO Apprentice Champion 2011-2012, Xpert11 FBT winner season 7

Post by crispybits »

Good solid start mate :) Keep it up!

Confucius say, only way to get where you want to be is to start from exactly where you are... :-P

Raisin
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Raisin »

Total support from me.

A bit of exercise and moderation in eating/drinking and I'm sure you'll find the weight will continue to fall off.

And before long, when you're through the withdrawal symptoms and more used to the exercise, you'll start to feel much better in yourself.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Top work nffc. The more weight you loose the harder it will become I suppose? I'd consider a different way of calculating the loss help motivate later on, I mean 2lbs at 14 stone must be worth just as much as 7lbs at 19 stone?

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

Kev, whilst I'm sure you appreciate the general back slapping motivational approach found here I prefer to take a tougher line.

Now pull your fat finger out of your fat arse and lose some weight soldier!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Did your parents have any children that lived?

Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I bet they regret that. You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece! What's your name fat body?

Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, Leonard Lawrence, sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Lawrence? Lawrence what... of Arabia?

Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: That name sounds like royalty. Are you royalty?

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Do you suck dicks?

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Bullshit. I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I don't like the name Lawrence, only faggots and sailors are called Lawrence. From now on you're Gomer Pyle.

Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir.

:D

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Ha ha cheers Dave. :lol: :lol:

At the moment the motivation comes from wanting us not to look like these two on the honeymoon :lol:

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

2k Row
Week 1 = 9min 47sec
Today = 8min 25.2sec

Paced myself better with more tortoise than hare this time and demolished my first embarrassing attempt. But felt I went too slow this time and had more left in me. (albeit I was still f#cked!)

Not spent a penny on alcohol all week so allowing myself a couple of bottles of decent Chablis for my treat evening tonight. Normally Chablis is out of my price range for wine but rewarding myself for staying out the pub all week. :D

..............and I'm really surprised the landlord of my local has not reported me to the police as a missing person yet :lol:

Raisin
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Raisin »

If you're going to drink both bottles tonight I'm not sure you have quite mastered the concept of 'moderation' yet.

But enjoy! :lol:

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Raisin wrote:If you're going to drink both bottles tonight I'm not sure you have quite mastered the concept of 'moderation' yet.

But enjoy! :lol:
2nd bottle is open :P

Restricting myself to a two bottle of wine treat once a week is a big reduction for me even if they are the same night.

I have always had a rep as a bit of a beer monster and a few of the guys from Fiso have witnessed me in action when meeting up for poker. :oops:

On a Saturday by 3pm I'd normally be at least 8 pints down already. But today at 3pm I was watching sky news on sub titles whilst p#ssing sweat on the cross trainer at the gym. :cry:

So two bottles of wine on a Saturday night = my reward for enduring the gym for the week. :mrgreen:

But if this plan of 6 and half day torture followed by one evening reward starts to fail I will change plan but my Saturday night reward stays for now :P

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

I don't want this thread to be all me bragging about positives and will admit to my f#ck ups too.

Yesterday I thought a game of pool and a pint won't hurt so I met up with one of my mates after work. The pint ended up turning into 'just one more' which ended up turning into a quick game of cards. Then onto a game of poker which lasted beyond last orders for a lock in and barely remembering how I'd got home.

Feel really guilty today that I have done this only in week 2 so spent half the morning walking the dog (I needed the fresh air!) Then this afternoon I beasted myself at the gym for over two hours to try sweat the alcohol calories out of me.

Forced myself to record a 5k run time :D

5km Treadmill
Week 1 = Only managed 3.5km
Today = 30mins 50secs

Far from Mo Farah pace but I'm just happy to run the furthest I have managed since being a teenager

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Everyone has the odd lapse (if they say they don't then they're lying :) )

Just don't do it again :evil:

:wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”