To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Teeth!

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Teeth!

Post by Tricky Tree »

Ok, after some advice. Many years ago a had a cracked tooth and it was made into a crown (or whatever the terminology) and for years it was fine. Over the last 2 years the crown has started falling out and requiring a dentist visit and glued/pasted back in. The dentist says that this is normal as the root is degrading making it harder to stick the tooth to anything?

She gave 3 expensive and not pleasant options

a - False tooth with plate (I feel too young for that!)
b - drill into front tooth and attach to that somehow (didn't concentrate as was cringing at the thought)
c - drill better into roof of mouth?

None seemed great and B and C were lots of cash

Anyone have any ideas....hate dentists and this doesn't help!

The Dentist is new and seems after money and maybe using crappy paste? My MIL said she had similar and went to hospital and her tooth was stitched in??? Seems weird?

Tooth in question is a lateral incisor

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: Teeth!

Post by Surprised »

Normally they would remove the tooth and fit a bridge.
That's what happened to me.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I suspect your dentist is on the make. Seek advice from another dentist at another clinic.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Surprised wrote:Normally they would remove the tooth and fit a bridge.
That's what happened to me.
Or you can have an implant - which is way expensive (@ £1.5k?)

A bridge should be £209 on the NHS

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSse ... arges.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

So, if there is not much of the original left the bridge is still ok.

I have a crown now so what is the difference / step to a bridge. Does a bridge basically mean the tooth is screwed in and also connected/latched in to the adjoining teeth?

Where as, my crown is just glued to the rest of the tooth?

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Yup, thats about the size of it i think - you should be charged is £209

Dont be conned by anyone's "if we do it privately i can use better materials" schtick

If they do then mention "checking that out with the PCT" - and they will buckle immediately - you should get no worse service on the NHS as privately as long as it is clincially necessary
Last edited by Groomyd on 08 Feb 2013, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

It's been a while but basically they fit crown to the a tooth one side of the one that is extracted and glue the bridge to that with the fake tooth attached.
I think that's what they did but I wasn't really concentrating

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I knew someone who had a bridge. Couldn't get used to the feel of it and so got rid and now just lives with the gap.

But that gap (and my 2) are further into the mouth than your two.....

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

I'm experiencing something similar with my dentist (crown which I believe was shoddily put in by him and caused a chronic abcess)and am certain he is just in it to make the maximum amount of money out of me.

Disgusting in a health occupation and his two flash cars (both with private regs) make me want to headbutt him when he tries to con me into a hygienist appointment for no reason.

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

In my line of work the gap is not good, way to visible so has to be rectified! Current crown fit will beout next week, so wobbly it's bl**dy frustrating

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

I had a large filling in the 2nd premolar or first molar. The tooth cracked again and I had some pain but just swilled my mouth with TCP every night and the pain went. The tooth cracked more and then had a sharp point so I went to the dentist. He said the tooth was too damaged to do a filling or crown and should come out but did a temporary filling. This created an abcess and when he treated it he said I didn't need any anesthetic because I had killed the nerves in the tooth with the TCP.

It hurt.

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Crown fell out on Saturday

Went to dentist appoitment today and mentioned a bridge. She said that it would be circa £800 as NHS would not do it as it "damages" another tooth and they would choose the denture route. I said I would need to speak to the PCT for clarification.

Dentist suddenly got very abrupt and shoved the tooth back in, badly fitted as didn't check I can close my mouth properly, feels in the wrong position and said to make another appointment to discuss and she'd look at the other totth.

Seemed totally interested in the private expensive options and the care to repaste the tooth in was shoddy.

What is my best course of action now? Had to have the tooth pasted back in as I'm custpmer facing (service delivery manager) and am in meetings most days.

Not best pleased with them

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Tricky Tree wrote:Crown fell out on Saturday

Went to dentist appoitment today and mentioned a bridge. She said that it would be circa £800 as NHS would not do it as it "damages" another tooth and they would choose the denture route. I said I would need to speak to the PCT for clarification.

Dentist suddenly got very abrupt and shoved the tooth back in, badly fitted as didn't check I can close my mouth properly, feels in the wrong position and said to make another appointment to discuss and she'd look at the other totth.

Seemed totally interested in the private expensive options and the care to repaste the tooth in was shoddy.

What is my best course of action now? Had to have the tooth pasted back in as I'm custpmer facing (service delivery manager) and am in meetings most days.

Not best pleased with them
Groomyd will be able to advice better, but I think you have a real good shout at making a complaint. You are entitled to see another dentist, am pretty sure of that. If it hurts (say it does even if it doesn't), go to your GP.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Typical! Thought he might try that one! :roll:

Dentists are independent contractors and not part of the NHS - they are simply commissioned to provide work on behalf of the NHS - and often they will try to sell you private treatment that you dont actually need

This what happens when you allow the private sector into health care :twisted:

If you think you have received substandard treatment then you should either contact your local PALs service - or call your PCT and ask to speak to your dental commissioner

I'd do the latter if I were you - there will be one at your PCT - soon to be CCG

It may be that there is a pattern with this dentist

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Cheers guys, best I do this before Monday (when she booked me back in (they'd just had a cancellation)) or let the Monday "discussion" happen then take from there?

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

I'd go on Monday and try to sort it out first

Make it clear that a bridge should be £209 and that if that is not the case and it needs to be private that they spell out exactly why and put it in writing

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Groomyd - does he have a right to the services of a different dentist if he isn't happy? The fact that this one appears not to care about the quality of surgery would put me right off.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

If he can demonstrate that the work is substandard/requires redoing - not an easy thing to do would be my guess

It may be that things get sorted on Monday

It's possible that the dentist did a quick and dirty job and will make good on Monday - so give him every chance to do so and explain why you are not happy

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I went last month and was told I needed a Crown, then when I went back was told that one needed taking out and another needed a Crown.

And he gave me the NHS vs Private Option, and mumbled something about a metal crown - which seems wrong.

I have a deeprooted (ho ho) hatred of Dentists, and am a quivering wreck in his Room of Pain, so I tend to nod and get out asap.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Gold crown is NHS

White one you have to pay privately

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I'm sure I have a "free" white one.

So how much gold is in one of them? 8-) :lol:

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

I dont know - but i do know they sell to "cash for gold" companies

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Awesome, I'll ask him if he can weigh it before fitting it 8-) 8-)

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Just seen this… great :(

Going for my crown prep on Saturday (£209).

Have had a molar that has been filled countless times and falls out (with a bit more tooth each time). Cant imagine there is much tooth left.
So going the crown route.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Same here.

Not arranged appointment yet, but a tooth that got broken in a bike crash years ago and filled has just lost the filling and another bit of tooth.

Prob just leave a gap for now, but I've already lost 2 back teeth from a boot in the face playing rugby (one of the perks of playing full back :-)) so I guess at some point ill have to get them replaced somehow.

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

OK, latest update....

They will do the bridge £209 but ....

To do it properly the tooth needs taking out again and I either have a gap for 6 months while the area heals itself? or get a denture for 6 months at an extra £209 (again, whilst the area heals itself)

Now, I can't say I want a gap for 6 months but not keen on paying 2 lots of £209

Am i screwed and have to pay both £209 for the denture then the bridge?

(think she mentioned £48 for removal of tooth anyway but surely it will drop out again in a days negating this?!?)

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Before going for my crown fitting, yet more of the tooth fell away; to the point it won't take a crown.

Said my option is an "inlay" basically a metal tooth made in the lab. Same cost but only available in silver. Tells me it does corrode and go a horrible filling grey colour.

By chance someone at work said they had a white one.
Said he was private though.

Anyway I can argue for one?
Or join a dental plan scheme maybe?

Is that fraud? :oops:

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

You can't get white on the NHS

Tricky - I don't think you have to pay two lots of £209 - I may be wrong but you may be able to argue that it's part of a single process or issue

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Still having issues. The temporary (£209) denture is rubbish and actually flew out my mouth in the pub yesterday (classy) almost certainly will end up going for an implant as this is just not comfortable and I remove it when eating almost anything. I know a permanent one would be a better fit but can't imagine it being enough for me to get one with it.

Quote for implant and crown is 2.5k!!

When I went to Spain last month I got a quote of 1.5k

Anyone know of a decent place that charges more like the Spain price? Would you recommend going abroad for that saving or is it too risky?

Thanks as always

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Post by Brightwater »

I had a pair of implants done last year. Lower 6/7 adjoining. I looked at flying to Hungary or Poland, but you need multiple visits. I found a place in Luton that flies dentists in from Hungary. £2.5k all in for the pair. PM me if you want details and/or the gory description. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”