To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How have you fared in finding a TFFO replacement?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on Telegraph Fantasy Football Online Squad Manager (TFFOSM) - formerly TTF, TFFO & TPLO. For Telegraph Newspaper games see forums above.
mike_d99
Grumpy Old Man
Location: cut down like a vegetable by your hard kickin mother who's an animal
FS Record: 269th TFF 08/09, 11th TFFO 08/09, 49th TFFE 08/09, 50th Elephant 10/11, 92nd Sky Sports 10/11

How have you fared in finding a TFFO replacement?

Post by mike_d99 »

Those of us that used to play TFFO have had to find new games to play this season. Now we're a couple of months into the season and you've had time to get used to the mechanics of your new game(s), are you enjoying them?

I entered a load of games on the Friday night before the season started, with only a cursory glance at the rules :lol:

OFL - I'm finding it difficult to get excited over this. Probably the closest to TFFO in game terms, but the scoring system is so dull (wooo, 0 points again) and the pricing structure is ludicrous - for example, Chelsea's second and third choice keepers are the fourth and fifth most expensive in the game! Sixth most expensive is Kuszczak, what is that all about? Everytime I sit down to make some transfers, I look at the player list for a couple of minutes, feel massively uninspired and go and do something else.

On the plus side, I like the way you can switch formations, and the squad selection screen is wonderfully easy and quick to use. Overall though, I'm struggling to retain more than a passing interest in this game. £10 for one team too! I don't think I'll be bothering with this next season.

Sky Sports - I definitely like this more than OFL, and the fact that the scoring system is a little closer to TFF/TFFO. I also like the fact you can select a captain for double points each week, just like old times :)

I can't help finding the game a little souless though, and I hate the annoying two player limit from each team - isn't it the job of the pricing structure to restrict your picks? I'm also playing Elephant Fantasy Footie, which is pretty much the same as the Sky game, with the addition of 'Trunkie', a 'fun mascot', or to put it another way, an 'annoying git'.

FPL - This is by far my favourite of the new games. There's so many tinker-tastic combinations and different tactics to try, the website is really good, the live score updates are excellent and I like the captain and bench options. The only thing I don't like is the 'stock market' element of the game, which thus far I've completely ignored.

So there you have it. The only new game I've really enjoyed playing is FPL, so assuming TFFO is now gone for good I think I'll just play that next season. Might give Sky a bash again, seeing as it's free. Almost certainly won't bother with OFL though.

What about you? What new games are you playing, and can you recommend them?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: How have you fared in finding a TFFO replacement?

Post by murf »

None of them appealed ( :( ).

I've played FPL before and didn't like it so I've just stuck to TFF

I also play a private TFF based squad/auction game (reigning champion at 11th attempt, was leading again til this weekend). Has the squad element but only one team per matchweek, no transfers and as it is auction based so doesn't really compare directly with TFF.

Great idea time: bring back TFFO!

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

mike_d99 wrote:OFL ......... the pricing structure is ludicrous - for example, Chelsea's second and third choice keepers are the fourth and fifth most expensive in the game! Sixth most expensive is Kuszczak, what is that all about?
I couldn't disagree more with your view. OFL are one of the few games organisers to get this issue correct. If the first choice keeper at a top team is fit and playing regularly, no one in their right mind would pick their second choice keeper whatever his price. On the other hand if say Cech gets a long term injury, then the appropriate price for the stand in will be reflected in the OFL pricing structure. However if the pricing structure was in line with your implicit preference, then as soon as it was clear which keeper was going to be the long term stand in for Cech (or VdS etc), then the world and his dog would be transferring in the stand in, in order to release money for the rest of the team and it would become a 10 man game. A bit like when TFF perservered in under-pricing Henry so that 65% of all TFF managers had Thierry. Meantime it was a bit more difficult to squeeze him into your OFL team, as they generally have one of the better pricing structures in FF games.

Chocs
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Chocs »

TFFO has been the only game I've really enjoyed, but I'm persevering with a few others this season.

I'm giving TFF another try, but it just doesn't do it for me. After an early visit to the top 100 my "BRING BACK TFFO" league has sunk without trace. Don't think I'll bother next year.

I tried OFL years ago, but haven't gone back to it. The introduction of a captain would make all the difference for me.

At work FPL is the main game, so this is the one I concentrate on. I'm not a massive fan, but I agree that it's well organised and user friendly.

The game I'm enjoying the most this season though is the UEFA.com UCL game. This is the only game I've come across that has both a captain and a flange element. It's fairly similar to FPL, but the main difference is the option of manager substitutions instead of automatic substitutions. Wasn't too sure about this to start with, but this is a great addition to the game. Each "Matchday" there are 2 flanges - ok days, but don't get many opportunities to talk about flanges this season, so I'll stick with flanges :wink: (no extra flange for any early kick offs in Russia though :( ). Manager substitutions mean that after the first flange has finished, and before the second starts, you can replace any of the players from flange 1 (who haven't been sent off) with a player from your bench. You can also replace your captain with any player who is playing in second flange.

So the tactics I've been using are to select roughly half your squad from groups A to D and the rest from groups E to H, as these groups play in different flanges. Set up your team for the first flange with a captain who is playing in the first flange and your bench with a keeper and 3 outfield players who are all playing in the second flange. After the first flange replace your 3 worst outfield players with your bench, replace your keeper if you didn't get a clean sheet and switch you captain if you didn't strike lucky in the first flange. Okay, probably not making much sense here, but at least boosting the FISO flange count! If you're not already playing this, it's worth having a go at this year to see how it works.

The bottom line is that nothing comes close to TFFO, so nothing can replace it.

Bring back TFFO!

The Bear
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Would be alot better but for Andy L & E !

Post by The Bear »

Not missing the game one little bit tbh :)

j0nners
Grumpy Old Ram
FS Record: TFFO - 13th 08-09, 10th 07-08, 11th 06-07

Post by j0nners »

FPL is the only game I'm playing now. Well organised, always updated on time, free and participated in by the masses so you can have a good banter with your mates or in a work league. Also, the admin factor is much lower than TFFO.

I can't see myself going back to TFFO now, even if they did bring it back :( mainly because I don't have enough time or commitment to be a top 10 contender, not like the old days.

The one thing I really do miss though is the banter on the old TFFO FISO forum. Nothing like chewing the fat with other FISOers in the top 50 or musing on the team selections of your rivals. Ah, them were the days.......... :D The standard of chat in the FPL forum is a very poor second I'm afraid.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

j0nners wrote:The standard of chat in the FPL forum is a very poor second I'm afraid.
Perhaps that's because when people click on your FPL button link and see that you're a girl,they worry their other half may think that's why they're always chatting to you ? :wink:

Denise,you really should put your name down for the 5AS comp,in case replacements are needed as sometimes happens.

Otherwise,put your name down on the 5AS recruitment thread for next season,as there's no shortage of banter in there !

Also,there are quite a few other girls in the 5AS,so you'd soon feel at home :D

j0nners
Grumpy Old Ram
FS Record: TFFO - 13th 08-09, 10th 07-08, 11th 06-07

Post by j0nners »

grob wrote:
j0nners wrote:The standard of chat in the FPL forum is a very poor second I'm afraid.
Perhaps that's because when people click on your FPL button link and see that you're a girl,they worry their other half may think that's why they're always chatting to you ? :wink:

Denise,you really should put your name down for the 5AS comp,in case replacements are needed as sometimes happens.

Otherwise,put your name down on the 5AS recruitment thread for next season,as there's no shortage of banter in there !

Also,there are quite a few other girls in the 5AS,so you'd soon feel at home :D
Thanks Grob - that was last year's link, it's updated now :oops: - can you let me know if it's not working properly now? Also, my comments weren't meant as an offence to anyone on the FPL forum, but more of a reflection I suppose of the close knit community we had over here in the TFFO forum. It's inevitable that you won't get that in a game with such a huge participation as FPL.

I have noticed that the few times I do post on the FPL forum, certain others are very quick to make negative and unconstructive comments as their first response. The consequence is that I tend not to bother posting. Of course, that's only a minority, but it was something that rarely happened in TFFO.

That said, I'm really enjoying playing FPL and will definitely look at entering a few of the side games when I get chance :D

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Your link's fine now jOnners,if you're really Ben Johnson not Denise :wink: Your FPL id changes every season of course.

I do fully understand your observations about the community spirit that develops between small groups with a common interest such as those who played TFFO

looneytoon77
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFFO 07/08 15th place, TFF Twitter League 3rd Place 12/13, William Hill MOTM 5 Winner 12/13, William Hill Season Winner 2012/13

Post by looneytoon77 »

Havn't really found anything to compare to TFFO. I am playing a few of the free games but not enjoying the interaction I had both on the forums & in the game. Infact I hardly ever come on FISO now.

Thanks to the telegraph my enjoyment in FF has drifted this year without TFFO. :evil:

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2nd YTM 09/10; 3 TFFO Top 10 finishes; 6th TFCI 2008.

Post by AkNotSpur »

To my mind, there is no adequate replacement for TFFO, or the related FISO Forum, so I've taken the opportunity to reduce the amount of time I devote to FF. I also miss Can You Kick It.

My favourite game now is YTM, but I fear that this may be its final season - because of the huge drop in the entries - so that will leave me with a few teams in The Sun's Dream Team which does spark some interesting debates on FISO, but takes very little time to play.

Maybe I'll try FPL again, but I didn't really enjoy it much last time round. OFL doesn't appeal at all.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Interesting that you didn't enjoy FPL,yet you miss it's mini version CYKI, produced by the same outfit,ISM, with the only real difference being Cyki had 12 players v 15 in FPL

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore

Post by AkNotSpur »

grob wrote:Interesting that you didn't enjoy FPL,yet you miss it's mini version CYKI, produced by the same outfit,ISM, with the only real difference being Cyki had 12 players v 15 in FPL
I'll definitely try it again next year, if TFFO doesn't return and YTM disappears. I only played FPL on behalf of someone else for a while, and that was before CYKI, so I'll probably give it a better shot next time round.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Hope you do,AkNotSpur,whether or not TFFO returns and when you do,make sure you utilise the CracktheCode(CtC) guide to price movements,to help you make the most in the transfer market,as that's where some newcomers come unstuck.

However,that's part and parcel of the attraction of FPL once you get into it properly,unlike any other FF game,apart from Cyki where there was no equiv to CtC due to the tiny number playing Cyki compared to the 2.3m playing FPL.

fantasyfaz
FISOhead
FS Record: Telegraph weekly Tinkerman winner Telegraph Cricket weekly winner, TFFO 3rd place 2009, TFFO manager of the month Sept 2008

Post by fantasyfaz »

You Can't replace it. Telegraph do need to look at the way they give assist/key contributions (penalty, o/g and putting in rebounds after saves or post)

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

This has been sadly missed this season and I hope to see it back for 2011-2012.

looneytoon77
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFFO 07/08 15th place, TFF Twitter League 3rd Place 12/13, William Hill MOTM 5 Winner 12/13, William Hill Season Winner 2012/13

Post by looneytoon77 »

It would be great to see it back Ashers. I have played sky sports FF & finished 86th overall which I was fairly pleased with in my 1st season of it, ITV fantasy footy I made it to 48th, will play them both next season but there nowhere near TFFOSM.

Art Vandelay
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: not bad

Post by Art Vandelay »

I'm plugging http://fantasyfootball.dailymail.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as a TFFO replacement.

It seems to be becoming closer to TFFO every season. Well run game and free to enter :)

Herc6
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Telegraph December Monthly Winner, SDT WDT Winner x7, Rugby World Cup Predictions Winner. Euro 2012 SDT phase one prize winner x3. Tour De France Weekly Winner, Formula 1 overall winner (Holiday to New York)

Post by Herc6 »

Art Vandelay wrote:I'm plugging http://fantasyfootball.dailymail.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as a TFFO replacement.

It seems to be becoming closer to TFFO every season. Well run game and free to enter :)
Art is right. This looks like a very involving game, feels very similar to TFFO. Could be good :D

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore

Post by AkNotSpur »

Art Vandelay wrote:I'm plugging http://fantasyfootball.dailymail.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as a TFFO replacement.

Not open to overseas residents and I can't be bothered get to grips with a new game if I can't enter directly.

Think that I might go for FPL this season.

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

AkNotSpur wrote: Think that I might go for FPL this season.
That would indeed be a very smart decision AkNotSpur. Live scoring during matches too - you wouldn't have got that in the Mail game,even if they'd allowed you to enter. FPL is open to all.

Furthermore,there are all the brilliant FISO FPL sidegames you'll enjoy immensely,such as reds363's Divisional Championships and the 5AS hopefully assuming that RomynPG and Krispy produce it again this year, and so many others.

You could even consider recruiting 4 of your ex TFFO playmates and entering an FPL 5AS team "TFFO VETERANS"

The added value attraction of playing FPL extends to becoming the proud owner of an FPL button too ! :wink:

reds363
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 28th 06/07; TFFO 3rd 09/10; TFF 3rd 12/13

Post by reds363 »

Just noticed this archived forum's still attracting a bit of discussion! I'd like to echo Art's comment

I've played this game for a couple of years and have enjoyed it. This year it's changed to become a 15-man game instead of 12, and another new element is that the selection of your on-field XI from your squad has become a bit more restricted (you have to have 1 GK, 1 DF, 1 MF, 1 ST on the bench each day) - bringing back memories of the flangeability considerations we had to make back in the TFFO days. The game has captains too, however you don't get to pick a new one each flange (day), you just get to change the armband 10 times a season.

I highly recommend ex-TFFOers to have a go!

Oh and as Art said it's free, and you can enter up to 5 teams.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Telegraph Fantasy Football Online Squad Manager (TFFOSM)”